PDA

View Full Version : Lets Hear Those D20 Thoughts!

BRodgers
23 June 2003, 10:48 AM
So in working on the next LARGE Raptor Squad update, a question came to my mind that I would like some feedback on.

Pretty simple really.

How Important are stats on a website?

See, Raptor Squad offers D6 stats, images, backgrounds, and ideas by the truckload . We always have and always will. I would like to think that we offer enough material that any D20 player with a working knowledge of conversions would have no trouble whipping up some quick stats for any of the items found on our page.

And the question has been posed to me if we will ever post D20 stats.

The simple answer is: Maybe.

There are a lot of factors as to why we don't right now. But if the demand was strong enough I can't say it wouldn't eventually happen. However, when I weigh offering up a new feature or batch of artwork against spending weeks (months?) converting everything on the site to D20..well....I've just not had enough feedback from the community to justify that amount of time.

So...D20 crowd! Lets hear those thoughts! If enough people convince me by voting you may someday see a multi-system offering over at RaptorSquad.net!

farr0095
23 June 2003, 11:18 AM
I'll sound off. I use d20 now and not so much d6. But I go to your site for a lot of other reasons. In fact, I hardly ever gather stats from someone else's site for use in my games. Actually, I can't recall I time that I have done that. (Well, WotC doesn't count - that's official source material). But, if you want help with conversions, ask away.

Boca Jantho
23 June 2003, 02:00 PM
I tend to agree with Shannon. As the GM for Raptor Squad I rarely cull stats from other webpages ( no offense to anyone). I mainly look to see what other ideas are out there and how others are doing things differently or the same for that matter.

While I tend to agree that most of the d20 community would generate their own stats, if there are those fans out there who want to see d20 stats then we can certainly add that to our site.

I know I am interested to see what the results will be,

Thanks ahead of time for participating in our poll.

later
Tony Garrett

Nova Spice
23 June 2003, 06:40 PM
Well, as an active (very active) D20 GM; it would be more beneficial for me. However, what's important is if D20 stats are important to the Baron and crew.

I love the site! The fiction and the stories and the writing keep me coming back; I'm not going to lie that it's the storytelling that makes raptorsquad.net for me.

But if D20 stats will help it grow, then by all means, fire away! :D

P.S. In an earlier thread on the Holonet (I think D20 Discussion), I answered a question on a Wroonian. I wasn't entirely sure who played Khara Doone, so I said Tracy was the PC. I apologize, if I'm wrong. :P

elfgirl1973
23 June 2003, 08:21 PM
You are correct sir! I am the player behind Khara Doone, our Wroonian thief. In answer to the poll, I think that we have enough material to keep any wandering GM happy as far as ideas and artwork goes. I think that D20 GMs would do a much better job making up their own stats for any characters they would want to use than we would.

BRodgers
24 June 2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Nova Spice

I love the site! The fiction and the stories and the writing keep me coming back; I'm not going to lie that it's the storytelling that makes raptorsquad.net for me.

Hey! Thanks a ton Nova Spice!!!! ..that's some darn high praise and I know our Gm and players appreciate it.

Boca Jantho, (Tony) our GM does a superb job of crafting well paced and exciting stories that stay very true to the Star Wars mythos and that convey the "Star Wars feel" very very well.

I've mentioned before in other threads and I stick by the theory that Raptorsquad.net appeals to a certain brand of gamer. It's not a stat crazy site with just pages and pages of text..rather it's a pretty deep and involved CDS (campaign driven site) for those GM's and gamers that like their Star Wars with a lot of flavor and seasoning.

:D

Darth_Cassed
24 June 2003, 08:45 AM
Yes, I'd have to say Raptor Squad appeals only to those deeply immersed in Star Wars and/or Roleplaying Games. So many sites have stats and all, and I consider this a site more for discussion and stats less than adventures. Raptor Squad is for the expert in gaming who can make his/her own stats on the fly and incorporate them into campaigns and such. The SWRPGNetwork gives people the feel for stats, helps newcomers with the layout of stats and the averages of people, and Raptor Squad is for the person that has mastered the stats of the SWRPG and their averages. Good job, guys.

XanderPaddox
24 June 2003, 11:19 AM
Well, I really cannot comment on the nature of the D20 system because I have only dealt with D6 through playing Xander with Raptor Squad. But I have heard some interesting things about the D20 system. Part of me thinks that it would be interesting to see what happens if Raptor Squad converted over to D20, but I also love the D6 system.

When I really think about it, it doesn't really matter what system I'm using as long as I'm playing Star Wars!

Xander Paddox
"Great, there is even more riff-raff out here than on the ship!"

farr0095
24 June 2003, 11:23 AM
When I really think about it, it doesn't really matter what system I'm using as long as I'm playing Star Wars!

Despite all the bickering that can come for D6 -vs- d20, isn't that what it all comes down to? There are plenty even who would prefer the free-form style of play, without stats.

I'll have to echo Nova Spice's comments as well. But I want to add to the stories that the art makes up for at least half the reason I like to visit! How many places can you find a continuing story with both fun and exciting writing as well as great artwork?!

BRodgers
24 June 2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by farr0095

How many places can you find a continuing story with both fun and exciting writing as well as great artwork?!

Thanks faar0095!!!

The adulations from the community are about to make me weep.

See Boca Jantho , people DO still visit our site!!!!!!!!!!!

waza sunrider
24 June 2003, 12:25 PM
having played a few d20 systems including old school D&D befor wizards & palaidum(sp) I dont much care for what wizards did to SW but thats IMO.
maybe if i started on the D20 I may have a differnt veiw but if the d20'ers like our site then maybe we can help them out by including some stats.

Koort
25 June 2003, 08:00 AM
Here's my two creds as a member of Raptor Squad and thus a D6'er: Posting D20 stats for all of the characters and equipment on the site may prove to have more inherent problems for the D20 GM making use of them that it would prevent. Having played in some D20 games (D&D 3rd Ed. and Call of Cthulhu), i know how vastly different those stats are, and it seems to me that at least some portion of the conversion may be variable, based on the views of the D20 GM. Whereas one GM might look at our conversions and agree totally, another might roll his eyes and say "Well, they obviously never played the D20 system!"

Also, there is one fairly significant snag that comes to mind: Force Powers. From what i've seen in the D20 conversion information, the Force is handled very differently in the new system. Given that our game was very much Force-oriented for a long time, we would probably have a lot of discrepancies in the converted material, especially since we make use of home-brewed Force abilities which may not conform to the conversion.

Though there probably are a lot of new Star Wars GMs who are picking up the title for the first time under the D20 system who would benefit from having D20 stats on our site, i would bet my YT-1300 that a majority of the GMs out there - particularly those who visit our site - are recent converts from the D6 system to the D20 themselves, and are used to doing the conversion legwork already. I think we should leave it to the experienced converters to do things up the way that works for them.

But again, that's just my two creds.
~Sam Garrett

Boca Jantho
25 June 2003, 03:52 PM
WOW.
What a response. Thanks to everyone for the feedback and kudos.It is very much appreciated. This kind of feedback reassures all of us that we are least half way achieving what we set out to do with our site.
Thanks for visiting and keep coming back.

Later
Tony Garrett:D

BRodgers
26 June 2003, 01:55 PM
Hmmmmmm....

Well, I appreciate everyones kinds words and input. You have no idea how encouraging your kudos are to our group!

After hearing everyon's thoughts, I think Koort said it best to me the other day..."we don't know the D20 system well enough and would probably butcher any D20 stats we tried to create" was basically what he said. And, since only 12% of the people who voted really seem to NEED stats, I don't see us whipping up any D20 conversions in the near future.

BUT!

That's not to say we won't ever have D20 stats. In fact, if there is any community member out there who is handy with conversions and interested in converting some of the Raptorsquad.Net material to the D20 system, drop me a line! Of course you would get full credit and my everlasting gratitude, that goes without saying. But say it I will!

Again, thanks for posting and voting folks, beleive it or not, there IS still a SWRPG community site that cares about what you think.

:lando: