PDA

View Full Version : Site/Forum issues

Mithrandir
26 June 2003, 08:05 AM
There's a bunch of annoying things about the site, but I have no idea where to send them. Even the forums don't seem to have anything for this. Most boards will have a "technical issues" forum where people can make comments along these lines. No such luck here.

Looking at the "About us" section, there's no real clue about how we submit general comments about things that need to be fixed on the site. I don't want to just PM one specific webmaster because it may not be their area. For example, the site donations box on the right has a "click here" link for more information. That link has been dead for at least the past 3 weeks. We need a "send us a message about the site is broken" link somewhere easily accessible.

Another point is that I can't find any definition of what those user stats in your profile mean. I've been completely puzzled by them for a while now and can't find any semblence of logical flow to them. I look at other users here that have supposedly similar stats to me and there's completely different messages and the icon (within the same allegience category). It would be nice if we could get a writeup of what they mean. If there is one, it's really hard to find it on the site!

Jedi_Staailis
26 June 2003, 08:45 AM
Well, I will admit that this place is too big to be perfectly user friendly, but after you've been around for a few months, you start to get an idea of who does what. For example, if you're having problems with the site, you can post in the SWRPGNetwork Forum, which covers technical issues as well as other site comments, or PM Armage Bedar or Moridin, the webmasters.

The user stats are hard to understand because they were designed to be mysterious. They're a fun way to give those users that have contributed a little recognition, but if the formula was easy to figure out, people would just try to play the system. By keeping it secret, you get the stats and rank badges without too much obsessing over them.

What is speculated about the stats can be found here (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?threadid=12839). Of course, the biggest question is what makes the rank badge change, and the admins are tight lipped about it, for good reason.

Mithrandir
26 June 2003, 09:17 AM
I went to the "SWRPGNetwork Forum" section to post about the broken links and it said I didn't have permissions too. Seems the only threads in there are those that the moderators put in for comments on submissions. I originally went to the "about us" section to find the webmaster, but everyone listed in there is a webmaster - all 8 of them. Bit hard to work out exactly who is responsible for which part of the site. Fairly obvious who the moderators are, but in this case it is a general webmaster issue as that donations panel appears on all sections of this site.

The rank badges are quite mysterious. Yes... I'm not interested in generating bigger stats, just for understanding, quickly, the newbies (like me) on the site from the more experienced ones.

For the stats thread link, thanks! Missed that one, I think it must have been due to the title change.

Grimace
26 June 2003, 12:23 PM
Something said you didn't have permission to? That's odd. Try following THIS LINK (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=17) and see if that works. If not, let me know here and I'll contact one of the guys and have them visit this area to answer your questions and read the part about the missing link.

As far as figuring out the "newbies" and the older members on this board, the easiest way to determine that isn't to look at rank badges, status levels or anything of the sort. Look at the "date joined". As Jedi Staailis mentioned, everything else about a person's status (VP, WP, XP, and rank) is kept a secret to protect the innocent. ;) It's best to simply ignore that aspect until you become more familiar with your surroundings here. If you really want to know how "experienced" a person is on this site, the 'date joined' is probably the best way (though it, by no means, indicates how long a person has been involved in gaming or how experienced they are as a whole).

Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Rogue Janson
26 June 2003, 12:37 PM
I went to the "SWRPGNetwork Forum" section to post about the broken links and it said I didn't have permissions too. Seems the only threads in there are those that the moderators put in for comments on submissions.
It sounds to me like Mithrandir was trying to post in the SWRPGNetwork Comments forum.

Maybe it would be an idea to add technical issues to the description text for the SWRPGNetwork forum to make it a little clearer for people.

Mithrandir
26 June 2003, 12:43 PM
It sounds to me like Mithrandir was trying to post in the SWRPGNetwork Comments forum.

*ding*

Ahhh....

The light goes on in the grey ghost's head. Ta muchly! I see the difference now. Wasn't at all clear that the first of the two was meant for making comments about the site issues in general. Seemed, to me, more like just a general chat area.

Righto, I'll wander over there and point them at the 404'd /donations.php link...