PDA

View Full Version : Hero's Guide Web Enhancments #2

johnpatrickmcp
28 June 2003, 06:05 PM
I just downloaded the new web enhancements for the Star Wars D20 Hero's guide and I have to admit it just doesn't add up. There are three web enhancements for this new book with the second one focusing on Commerce. It includes charts for randomly determining ship cargo's and thier values. No offense but the values of the cargo's seem a little skewed. Acording to the new charts one minor electronics are the most valuable comodity to ship. Here are a few examples, each price is for one metric ton:

Comlinks: 1,000,000 credits
Datacards w/ one program: 1,500,000 credits
Presonal Holoprojectors: 5,000,000 credits
Holorecorders: 2,400,000 credits

Acording to this chart it is more valueable to ship comlinks than bacta (bacta is only 50,000 credits a metric ton). And none of these itmes are illegal to ship. If your characters wanted to make a huge sum of money all they would have to do would be to fill one light freighter full of comlinks and sell them on the open market.

Does anyone agree or dissagree?

JohnPatrickMCP

Tossk
28 June 2003, 06:47 PM
Bacta requires special tanks and comlinks can stack easilyy and require no special crating. You can fit many comlinks, maybe 20 in a 1 liter bottle, and that's 2,000 credits opposed to only 100 with a liter of bacta. both aliter of bacta and 20 comlinks weigh the same, and they fit in about the same area. The price per volume and weight is 20 times more for comlinks than for bacta. Electronics aren't cheap. Besides, those players need to find enough money to buy that many comlinks in the first place, then they need to find a place to sell them, netting 300,000 on a good day in the end. Great returns if they can find the capital to buy them in the first place.;)

farr0095
29 June 2003, 03:20 AM
Additionally, as comlinks are rather common, where are they going to sell those items? Bacta, on the other hand, is always in demand, and therefore is a much more lucrative option to transport. Of course, pirates don't attack for comlinks, but they just might for bacta.

johnpatrickmcp
1 July 2003, 09:25 PM
Yes but ist the fact that a group of PC's could become relatively rich in one cargo run with almost no effort shipping something that is totally legal. It is a low risk high return cargo. Espicallly when you consider that in the old West End rules one ton of high technology items cost just around 5,000 credits. And also it's the fact that acording to this new system it is more profitable to run a legal cargo such as comlinks than it is to run an illegal cargo such as guns.

Mithrandir
1 July 2003, 09:49 PM
Additionally, as comlinks are rather common, where are they going to sell those items?

Hey buddy - wanna buy a commlink? I ...ah... just bought it new and found I didn't need it, so i'm offiering it to you for a really good deal. Look it's still in the packaging and everything!

:hutt:

farr0095
2 July 2003, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by johnpatrickmcp
Yes but ist the fact that a group of PC's could become relatively rich in one cargo run with almost no effort shipping something that is totally legal. It is a low risk high return cargo.

I'll agree, then, that it is well within the official rules to do so. But that's when GM discretion comes into play. If I had a group of PCs load up their YT-1300 with a bunch of comlinks and ferry them off somewhere hoping to make it rich, I'd let them. Sure, per tonnage, they could make a killing. But really, where are they going to sell them??

That's what it still comes back to. And since they cannot buy in bulk (sure a ton may seem like bulk, but not when you've got Action IV's loading up tens of thousands of tons) they're not going to get near the purchase price the others can. My group would run around all over the place trying to find a market to sell their comlinks at, burning up valuable fuel and food in the process. So at that point I'd be tracking all of that.

In the end, they'd likely have to take a loss for the net price on their sale. And when you view it from that point, it's not a low-risk, high-return item.

Then again, if your GM doesn't care about that, sure you can make a hefty profit for nothing.