PDA

View Full Version : 20 Years of gaming - kinda long...

KenobiJim
1 July 2003, 10:46 AM
HI folks!

In June of 1983 I started gaming by learning AD&D 1e from some good friends of mine in my karate class. Now, twenty years later, I'm looking on a lot of really great memories...

My first character, a borrowed 17th level ranger who died at the hands of Tiamat in her own abode on the first layer of hell.

My oldest character, Dack Blackhawk, a fighter turned mage due to my inept use of an artifact (Heward's Mystical Organ), who survived to 16th level and semi-retirement.

I have played games in many places, here in Apple Valley CA, Ft. Jackson SC, Ft. Benning GA, Panama, San Diego, and Mobile AL.

There's a lot of games I've played: AD&D 1E, 2E and 3E, Star Frontiers, Gamma World, Champions, Shadowrun, d6 Star Wars, d20 Star Wars, L5R, Heavy Gear, and others.

A lot has happened in the industry. Remember when the number of game companies could be counted on one hand? The hobby store I first started going to in '83 closed last year (the Hobby House here in Apple Valley) a very sad thing. TSR going under... Rescued by Wizards... WEG disappearing, to be resurrected with a French company... FASA is gone... Avalon Hill is a division of Hasbro, as is Wizards... Online Gaming is now a regular activity... The Arrival of Magic: The Gathering then Pokemon... now the OGL... there are so many things, too numerous to mention...

I worked for a really cool game store, Game Towne in San Diego, which in turned spawned companies from former employees, Game Empire and the Carlsbad Game Cove (hi Pete!).

Some favorite SWRPG characters:

Lazlo Toth, Jedi Knight - raised in the Old Republic, somehow dodged the Purge and survived to see the Rebellion Era

Thorzin the Predator - A character specifically designed to defeat the character-killing Joss Acklund (no relation)

R2D4 IM5150 - The happy little R2 droid with a heart of gold, and a vocoder of EVIL :)

I've met many new friends in this hobby and I am grateful and thankful. I've learned a lot in these 20 years. Gaming has been a great form of therapy for me, and given me a lot of help. I still have a long way to go, but I feel a lot more comfortable about things than I used to. This is a great forum, and I would like to thank Moridin and eveybody to make this place a great community. Thanks again everybody...

Penangallan
1 July 2003, 05:29 PM
I worked for a really cool game store, Game Towne in San Diego, which in turned spawned companies from former employees, Game Empire and the Carlsbad Game Cove (hi Pete!).
Hey, funny you should mention Game Towne. I worked at the Carlsbad store around '93 to '94 (the exact years are hazy), but I wonder if you came before or after I did, or if we knew each other or not. Game Cove is still there, though Pete sold it and the new owner is moving it to a location in Vista (across the 78 from Tri-City Hospital).

Cheers!
Gary

lynnlefey
2 July 2003, 08:48 PM
Hey KenobiJim...

I started gaming in the '83 timeframe as well. I don't know the exact day. It was on one EXTREMELY boring day in the summer after my 6th grade year.

A friend of mine suggested we try this thing he haqd called 'Star Frontiers'. I shooed them off, and read the rules. We readjourned the next day, and my days as game master and role player had begun.

From there, it quickly evolved to AD&D 1E. By the late 90's, I'd played a LOT of systems. Marvel Superheroes, Gamma World, Top Secret, Paranoia, Paladium (including Robotech, TMNT, Heroes Unlimited), Traveler, AD&D 2E, Star Wars (D6), Champions (and Fantasy Hero), Babylon Project. In the last few years there has been D&D 3E, and two D20 spinoffs (Star Wars and D20 Call of Cthulhu), and I'm playing off-and-on in a Vampire: The Masquerade game. I KNOW there are systems I've forgotten, or done one-shots in... Mekton, Champions:Fusion, Autoduel...

Yeah, the industry has changed. Some of it for the better. Someone made a statement in another thread about the age of gamers, and how he thought everyone who plays would be college age. He thought it was cool that gaming could draw in older folks, but I think he neglected to realize that a lot of us were exposed when we were younger, and just never gave the hobby up.

Whatever else I may consider myself, I know I'll be gaming till they pry the polyhedrons from my cold, dead hands. :)
Please... bury my crystal red D20 with me... :D

I have had a lot of fun times gaming. I've seen grown adults turn into tantrum-throwing idiots, too. I've met some very good friends at gaming tables.

Unlike virtually every other kind of game, role-playing is really boundless. I can't think of another sort of game that could have held my attention this long, except perhaps chess... and I think chess sucks, so...

That just leaves RPGs.

I guess I get to start saying stuff like "Why, back in MY day, we didn't HAVE no stinkin internet to share ideas. We made up our OWN suplimental rules, and we LIKED IT!"

Or "See that there D20? I once rolled 37 consecutive natural 20s with it. Of course, youngins like YOU wouldn't believe something like that."

Heh... I'm a gaming geezer. LOL :D

Bombaatu
2 July 2003, 10:11 PM
Gotcha both beat - I started back in '78, when there were only 2 real games avaible: AD&D and Traveller - never got into the original D&D though, so mebby someone here's been doing it longer than I have.

Looking back, I can't really believe I've had this hobby for 25 years now.

Damn.

I feel old.

Thanks alot... ;)

lynnlefey
3 July 2003, 10:19 AM
Bombaatu,

I don't think there are many folks out there with much more gaming experience than that. I don't want to be quoted here, but I think D&D first came out in '76.

So, I don't think there's anyone with more than 8 years more experience than me out there. Probably no one with more than 2 years more experience than you. Perhaps only Gygax's test group. That would be it.

And just to be a pain... there was no AD&D in 78, only D&D. AD&D didn't come out till the 80's. I still have lots of friends with the ugly dice (green, yellow, etc.)... you know, the ones that came in the D&D boxed sets, that crumbled at the edges.

One of the funny things I see in gaming is that Chainmail (a tabletop miniature wargame) spawned D&D which spawned AD&D, which spawned Battlesystem (a tabletop miniature wargame). Then D&D 3E spawned a resurrected version of Chainmale (which has since died, to my understanding).

Hey Bombaatu... you only feel old because you ARE :D
Joking here.

KenobiJim
3 July 2003, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't be too worried about age, guys. Remember it's our experience that keeps our PCs alive longer than the young folk. I like to remember that the faster one goes, time slows down more and more. That's why I ride a Hurricane :D

I feel very young when I game. Also, I believe that gaming has put years on my life, if for no other reason than spending money on supplements instead of wine, women and song... Tho I may need to spend a little on a woman... Any body know any nice girls who can understand a gamer like me?

Bombaatu
4 July 2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by lynnlefey
Bombaatu,
And just to be a pain... there was no AD&D in 78, only D&D. AD&D didn't come out till the 80's. I still have lots of friends with the ugly dice (green, yellow, etc.)... you know, the ones that came in the D&D boxed sets, that crumbled at the edges.

I stand corrected - I remember now I was a sophomore in High School (must be the Alzheimer's catching up with me ;))

Dr_Worm
5 July 2003, 10:48 PM
I think D&D, or it's predacessor, started in 73. I only say this because on NPR there was a stroyu about a big anneversary for D&D and it was a big round number. So it was either 73 or 78, making D&D 25 or 30 years old. I could be wrong though, I have only been gaming for 21 years.

Remus Lightforce
22 July 2003, 03:39 PM
Must be tough for you guys.

I'm 15, I've been doing this for 1-2 years...

It was pretty funny, actually, how we started...

I've always loved Star Wars, since I was 4 years old. My friend got the 'Invasion of Theed' adventure game free somewhere. It runs on a board, so we thought this was how all P&P games ran. The board was so...limiting. We started to describe things as if they were really happening, outside the board. Without using 'character spaces' and such things. Then, we discovered that that's how most P&P RPGs really are! Yay! So, we bought the Star Wars RPG Revised Core Rulebook and got cracking. It's been fun.

Nobody looks at me funny or thinks less of me if I'm blasting Kaminoans or slicing my way through the Death Star. Discussing Star Wars is only slightly geeky, nothing that would prevent me from making friends, or cause me to be made fun of or anything =p.

But, if I were 30-40ish like you geezers, man....even I would probably look at you weird if you said that you just got done rescuing the princess.

My PCs are usually 18-22, you guys actually have PCs who are younger than you, back in their 'prime'.

How on earth do you find other adults who want to play, when it's so looked upon as a game for teens and young adults? =p.

I can't say I envy you.... =/. Poor old guys.

wolfe
22 July 2003, 04:42 PM
twenty years... somebody just had to bring this up... ......bombaatu you feel old..hell, I'm ancient :( ive been doing this since 1971..when chainmail first came out..what later became D&D- which first came out in 72 in a 50 page book.. TSR (Tactical Studies Rules) started in 74- just to help with the trivia..

32 years....some of my my game books may be old but probably in better shape than most gamers :P ...
my game books have seen more of this world than most gamers..they dont travel now that its all on disk..and my D6 starwars on disk takes up more disks than the whole harry potter collection on disk..

People ask me at times why i still do this..well, dealing with this world is not an easy task..It's nice to get away for awhile..

well this ol geezer has to go train some young'uns on how to fly a blackhawk with a bambi bucket (water bucket you see under the helo in a forest fire)...

Bombaatu
27 July 2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Remus Lightforce
How on earth do you find other adults who want to play, when it's so looked upon as a game for teens and young adults? =p.
Easy. We find other old farts at the gaming store... ;) My current gaming group ranges in age between 28 to 40. Most of us are married (with 2 married couples in our group), and two of us (myself included) are parents. The other parent's children are in their late teens and also game. It's a generational thing...

whiteraven1983
28 July 2003, 10:31 PM
You have been gaming since I was born I feel so young and green now.

KenobiJim
29 July 2003, 08:40 AM
To Bombaatu,

Sorry I brought it up... I just wanted to thenk the ambient universe for the game...

To Whiteraven

It's kind of true though. At work I would mention to people that yes, I have gamed longer than they have been alive. Another funny poiint is that I have gamed more than performing any other profession that I have been paid for. If I could get paid for my gaming knowledge, I would do pretty well (maybe)... At any rate thanks for all the responses folks!

Jim

Bombaatu
29 July 2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by KenobiJim
To Bombaatu,

Sorry I brought it up... I just wanted to thenk the ambient universe for the game...

LOL! Nononono - my grousing is entirely tongue-in-cheek on this!

KenobiJim
29 July 2003, 09:04 AM
that's okay...

extra big :)