PDA

View Full Version : Obi-Wan Kenobi

Fred Getce
1 July 2003, 01:40 PM
Obi-Wan Kenobi is a Jedi who has LIVED!

He has been in the presence of such ground breaking moments in Republic history. Chaperoned himself with the most important people in the Republic (Chancellor, Queens, Kings, The Chosen One) and had adventures (yes Yoda we know a Jedi does not crave such things) on a scale as to make the average joes near speeder crash pale in comparison. I mean he has tangled with and slain a Sith Lord, tracked down and fought legendary bounty hunters, faced down enormous odds of battle droids, faced life or death in a arena fight with viscious monster from all corners of the galaxy without even the most hint of fear of failure...what more has this young Jedi done?

Oh lets not forget the chick factor. I wonder how many females are secretly in love with the Jedi Knight. He's handsome, polite, compassionate, caring, strong, couragious, daring, wise and above all filled with a love of life and for people.

Than you seem him years later with a young farm boy from tatooine and just than it hits you THIS IS the pinnacle of what it means to be a Jedi. If only Luke could have known what this man has done to get to where he is I bet Luke would have sad "impossible, I can't do any of that", but Obi-Wan did. No wonder so many held Obi-Wan in such reverence.

What is your feelings, opinions, or belief about probably one of the most important Jedi in the Order's history.

Nova Spice
1 July 2003, 04:37 PM
Obi-Wan Kenobi has always been the unsung hero of the Star Wars saga. In the classic trilogy, he is the mysterious old man who placed Luke down destiny's path; he was his mentor and the guidance of the original trilogy's central character.

In the prequels, Obi-Wan is yet again, the unsung hero. While he certainly is exemplifying his status as a respectable Jedi and a hero, he is also guiding and mentoring the prequel trilogy's central character, Anakin.

In my opinion, Obi-Wan is the classic good guy. He's the character that ensures that good will triumph over evil. With a good sense of humor, abounding care for those around him, and a keen sense of honor and duty, Obi-Wan Kenobi is the spirit of Star Wars. Many hold Yoda as the iconic representation of the galaxy far, far away. I think it's Obi-Wan; for the reasons above.

farr0095
1 July 2003, 04:44 PM
I'm jumping on the bandwagon with Nova here. Obi-Wan is the epitome of the "good guy". I think this is especially true in Ep IV. He has done it all, but it still a down to earth (wait, can I say that in Star Wars discussion? :?) guy. He embodies the concept of a Knight (interesting considering his initial actor's own status) in mind and spirit. And yet he is fallible.

He trained two of the most powerful and definately influential Jedi ever, but in doing so also brought about the end of the Republic (to a degree) and the Jedi Order (almost definately). And while he cautioned against falling to the Dark Side, he himself came close upon the death of his first real Jedi Master and certain mentor.

I think that the Jedi Order would have barely given him a footnote, had it survived the Clone Wars. I also doubt that he would have had a seat on the Council, due to his similarities to Qui-Gon. And as it stands with the Empire, again he is hardly known but to a handful. Even in the novels that go beyond the movies, Luke remembers him, but keeps it personal.

Obi-Wan Kenobi was a great Jedi who will disappear into the archives of history (as of the NR). But yes, he is a phenomenal example of the good guy, hero, and Jedi Knight.

JediJester
1 July 2003, 07:44 PM
Ya' know, I've never noticed that before, but it's so true.

Reverend Strone
1 July 2003, 07:50 PM
No matter what one says of the prequels (love 'em or hate 'em), the wonderful richness they bring to Obi Wan's calm and understated words to Luke in ANH is a fantastic embelishment of the classic trilogy. I'm thinking of his words to the farmboy in his home on Tatooine about being a Jedi Knight once and fighting in the Clone Wars. There's a poetic humility and grace to the guy that speaks so much about his character and the fantastiv history he has as we are only now seeing it.

lynnlefey
1 July 2003, 08:56 PM
Well, it's hard to deny Obi-Wan's coolness. The prequil trilogy gives us a look at what brought him to the point where most of us were introduced to the character.

To me, the crowning moment of the character is NOT slicing the very ominous Darth Maul in half... it's that statement, said in utter calm 'If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can imagine'... and when Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie are clear, he gets this beautiful tranquel look, raises his guard (I can never remember if he actually turns off his lightsaber) and gives himself over to the Force.

Wow... sorry, all the calm and tranquility in the world in the midst of a firefight when you know what powers you have is one thing, but having such utter faith in your path and purpose to transcend in such a manner. THAT is true power.

As a kid, I played the old Star Wars arcade game, the one done with green lines, with little soundbites from the movie playing... and the two that seemed to always get me were the two Obi-Wan bits 'Trust your feelings, Luke', and 'The force will be with you... always'.

Ewen McGregor has done an admirable job of stepping into the role, but Sir Alec Guiness was so utterly cool.

I often wonder if Obi would have attempted to train Luke, or considered his earlier failure with Anakin, and brought him to Yoda even without having been turned into a ghost.

And, to maybe get back on thread here... Yes, he had a very intense life. The Chinese curse 'May you live in interesting times' seems to have fallen on him. However, consider that any Jedi who has attained the rank of Knight has most likely also had incredible adventures and faced death many times over.

Seghast
3 July 2003, 02:15 AM
And, to maybe get back on thread here... Yes, he had a very intense life. The Chinese curse 'May you live in interesting times' seems to have fallen on him. However, consider that any Jedi who has attained the rank of Knight has most likely also had incredible adventures and faced death many times over.

But, Obi was the first Jedi to face a Sith lord in combat and survive for over 1,000 years (guesstimation) or so because the Sith were thought to be extinct. Other knights may have survived some wild adventures, but none within the past 1,000 years had done that.

Side note: Obi-Wan has always been my favorite character. To me, Vader was cool, I envied the Emperor's control of the galaxy, Han was the loveable rogue, R2 was funny, Luke was a whiner, but Obi was the man. I always thought he could have took Vader on the Death Star, if he'd really wanted to, but he just felt it was time to pass the proverbial torch to Luke.

XJ3 X-Wing
3 July 2003, 07:27 AM
Obi-Wan should've just said "screw it, Vader is just going to kill more people by the thousands so why let his brat of a son train for years and do nothing during that time" and just killed Vader on the Death Star and then destroyed the Death Star itself. No one could have stopped him if he killed Vader.

Faraer
3 July 2003, 10:23 AM
Except that he knew Anakin Skywalker would restore balance to the Force by destroying the Sith.

JediJester
3 July 2003, 10:23 AM
Obi-Wan was cool, but I doubt he could have taken on Darth Vader. By that time, Darth Vader had spent years honing his skills while Obi-Wan was in hermitage on Tatooine keeping an eye on Luke (one would guess). Maybe Obi-Wan understood it better, but let's face it, Darth Vader just had more raw power at his disposal at that point.

I think that's part of his coolness though. He knew he couldn't win. Sure he could have fought Vader and given it his all, whipping out FP's and maybe gotten lucky and beat him. But Vader would have just called on his own FP's and DSP's and been right back in it. So instead of wasting his strength on a risky gamble, he uses that strength to give himself over to become the spirit to guide Luke.

XJ3 X-Wing
3 July 2003, 02:29 PM
True or he could have done what Yoda did in the "A New Hope" Infinities comic and taken over the Death Star and attacked Coruscant killing Palpatine.

mojo1701
3 July 2003, 07:32 PM
Did anyone see AFI's top 100 heroes and villains a month or two ago?

I believe Obi-Wan Kenobi was rated as #38, compared to others as Mahatma Gandhi (#21[?]) and Atticus Finch (#1). I never watched the whole thing, but I got in time to see those.

They were all heroes, btw.

Master Dao Rin
3 July 2003, 09:23 PM
Obi-wan has always been my favorite. When he pulled up his sword and let Vader slice him in two, I was hooked. Weird, huh? Other kids may have dreamed about being Luke or Han, but I always played Obi-wan. Jedi all the way, baby. :D

farr0095
4 July 2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by mojo1701
Did anyone see AFI's top 100 heroes and villains a month or two ago?

Yup! It was great to see Obi-Wan making the list of the top 50 Heroes. Of course, his protégé made the number 2 villain, if I recall correctly. Still, back on track, this is yet another source that affirms Obi-Wan's Coolness Factor!

XJ3 X-Wing
4 July 2003, 01:48 PM
Is there a link to a list of all of the winners? I'd like to see who the winners were but are to lazy to do a google search for the list.

mojo1701
4 July 2003, 02:24 PM
Here ya go, XJ!

AFI's Top 50 heroes and top 50 villains. (http://www.afi.com/tv/handv.asp)

farr0095
4 July 2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks, mojo1701! I couldn't find that earlier, or else I would have provided the link. I appreciate you finding it for us!

mojo1701
4 July 2003, 04:04 PM
No problemo, farr!

XJ3 X-Wing
5 July 2003, 11:50 AM
THank you very much mojo! I've never heard of the #1 villian though....

Rogue Janson
6 July 2003, 01:18 PM
The thing that gets me about Obi-Wan is how anyone else put in the same position might consider their life a tragedy - his Master is killed before Obi-Wan becomes a Jedi Knight, his first apprentice not only turns to the Dark Side but wipes out a large part of the Jedi, the Galactic Republic falls and the Empire rises and he is one of the last of the Jedi, forced to live as a hermit on a desolate planet. Even in AotC, he is fighting hand to hand with Boba Fett in the rain, being chased through an asteroid field or interrogated by Dooku, while Anakin is enjoying himself on Naboo or running around irresponsibly.

The way he takes this with such wisdom and good grace marks him out as such a great character. He is someone for whom the Force really is the centre of his life; he has the strength to come through even the worst disasters with a positive attitude and a bit of wry humour. It's been said before, but Obi-Wan and Yoda represent the essence of the Jedi ideal.

Maybe we'll see Obi-Wan get a little more worked up in Episode III as Anakin turns to the Dark Side, before he becomes the resigned but determined person we see in ANH.
One of the hardest things for me watching AotC was how Anakin was just such an awful student, despite Obi-Wan's advice and support. You'd think at least some of Obi-Wan's sophistication would have rubbed off on him.

mojo1701
6 July 2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by XJ3 X-Wing

THank you very much mojo! I've never heard of the #1 villian though....

You haven't? Although I've never seen any of the movies (although I want to), it's Anthony Hopkins' character Hannibal, who was in a trilogy:

Silence of the Lambs
Hannibal
The Red Dragon

... I believe. Feel free to correct me on this.

Originally posted by Rogue Janson

You'd think at least some of Obi-Wan's sophistication would have rubbed off on him.

Although I agree with you, Obi-Wan (during the Prequel Trilogy) was made to seem (although a worthy Jedi Knight), not a great teacher as his mentor, I believe.

AzmoDanakar
11 July 2003, 09:25 AM
A scene that always stuck with me through the prequels, was when Yoda criticized Luke saying. "you are Reckless..." Obi Wan replies, " So was I, if you'll remember"
This scene is very important in the context of the prequels. Obi Wan wants Luke to be trained and one of the reasons is because he ( Obi Wan) has a stake in the redemption of Anakin Skywalker. He sees the failure with Anakin as his own, and Luke is the one person who can bring closure to the shortcomings of Old Ben's life. We can see in AotC that Kenobi is an adequate teacher, but the impetuous nature of the 'Chosen One' prevents the teachings from being applied or even heeded.

Skreem
11 July 2003, 10:24 AM
Azmo - I actually disagree with your statement that we see Obi-Wan as an adequate teacher in AotC. In fact, I got just the opposite - Although it was obvious that Obi-Wan had the proper material to teach, and the correct "curriculum", he failed in the presentation. I think this is quite prominent when Anakin comments that he "saved" Obi-Wan when he had fallen into the lair of (don't remember the creatures). Obi-Wan acknowledged the event, but with a hint of sarcasm that Anakin was oblivious to.

Obi-Wan allowed Anakin to feel "powerful" and "stronger than his master". These are not the ways of the Jedi. Obi-Wan was probably put in the same types of situations by his master, but because of Obi-Wan's ability to read people (as well as his own humility) he was able to learn from the experience. Anakin was far too concerned with his own acheivements and abilities to recognize that he should be learning things.

Corwin
13 July 2003, 12:13 PM
...And there it is in a nutshell.

I've always thought Obi-Wan was one of the greatist Jedi. I seem to remember hearing that Lucas said as much himself :)

Errin Orwain
22 July 2003, 08:56 PM
Truer words has never been spoken. Obi-Wan has been thru some very trying times and many adventures, but if you asked him he would probibly tell you he would rather have lived an uneventful life in the temple never having to have lived thru the deaths of his friends, teachers, pets...

"even if you succeed, the life of a jedi is not an easy one":kenobi:

AzmoDanakar
24 July 2003, 07:59 PM
I said he was an adequate teacher, not a superb one. Any number of other padawans would have done well with Obi Wan, but Qui Gon would have been a far better teacher. He was a great Jedi Master, a proponent of the Living Force over the Unifying Force and had sucessful students before taking on Obi Wan. Admittedly Obi Wan failed with Anakin, as I stated, but I dont think Kenobi could have stopped the chosen one from feeling superior. Skywalker is after all, superior. Qui Gon had the experience to temper that burning awakened awareness of the Force, into what could have become a great jedi, at least he would have thought he could. I think Qui Gon really enjoyed teaching, Obi Wan's training was at an end and Jinn was eyeing what he thought would be his greatest student in the little Fringer slave. Prophecies are the monkey wrench in that theory though.

mojo1701
25 July 2003, 11:03 AM
Have you read The Approaching Storm by Alan Dean Foster? It's got a bit between Anakin and Obi-Wan from another Jedi and Padawan's point of view.