PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility issues with IE 5.0...

Snowtiger
7 July 2003, 06:10 AM
I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but the StarWars-RPG.net layout seems to not work good with IE 5.0. These things I noticed:

- Screwed up text formatting, the text goes out the screen but the horizontal scroll-bar is missing, overlapping text blocks and text overlapping links so that they can't be clicked.
- Pictures on the pages seem to overlap with the text when they are aligned to the right side of the screen.
- Textboxes misaligned/overlap text/don't show up.

I'd think tat a better site would take into account of what browser you are using and show the pages in a format that works.

Chris Curtis
7 July 2003, 06:51 AM
I'm the one who wrote the underlying code, so I guess I can answer this...

The site is written to adhere to correct web standards (XHTML and CSS, specifically). It does so. It looks correct in web browsers that support these standards, as all modern browsers do.

Internet Explorer 5 is over 4 years old now and there are two newer major releases for the browser (5.5 and 6.0) for Windows. IE 5 is known to have a lot of problems rendering code correctly -- it's not a very good browser, frankly.

We did a lot of testing of the site in all the major modern browsers and it looks fine in IE5.5 and greater, IE5.1 and greater on Macintosh, Mozilla, Netscape 6+, Opera, etc. You might want to consider upgrading to a newer browser, Snowtiger.

Snowtiger
7 July 2003, 07:06 AM
I guess I'll have to do that...

evan hansen
7 July 2003, 09:00 AM
While I do work in an environment where it's not uncommon for users to be using Netscape 4.7, I have to agree with Chris -- which is why the site is as it is. At Chris' urging, we made a move to be more compliant with standards and recommended practices.

It should, as Chris said, work in most browers -- certainly all recent browsers. But for those who have problems but aren't sure where to go, I suggest:

-- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp
(Update your IE for free there. IE 6's latest updates and all that are available there.)

-- http://www.mozilla.org/releases/
(The newer releases are at the top of the page. For those who don't know, Mozilla is an open-source browser designed with the intent of being standards compliant and portable across platforms while still providing all your goodies and options.)

I use both those browsers to look at the site all the time, and it looks fine -- especially good in the highly standard compliant Mozilla.

Good question though, snowtiger. It's come up before in emails, so it's good to get this info out there.