PDA

View Full Version : I have *RETURNED*

Templar
8 July 2003, 07:01 PM
I have returned, after a long time away due to incompatibility with the boards (Netscape 7 seems to like it, though I'll bet the next update will fix that, as usual). And I have - against my earlier words (those who remember them) - picked up SWd20.

So, I guess this is the time when I do what I didn't think I'd ever do: compare the two systems.

D6 still holds a special place in my heart. It's easier to make characters for, there's more balance between characters of different power (newbies vs veterans), and other details. It is hard to explain, sometimes, and the system is not suited for the forum I usually game on (IRC).

That being said, D20 is a simpler system to teach newbies. Force powers are treated slightly better (in terms of acquisition, anyway), and cannon fodder characters drop a little faster. However, my main beef with the D20 system still exists. I don't like the separation of combat and non-combat skills into actual skills for the latter, but 'feats' and level-dependant stats for the former.

I guess people have said things like this before, but I don't have time to go through over a years worth of back-messages.

scottyboy
9 July 2003, 05:13 AM
Wecome back <b>Templar</b>! I didn't know you before when you were on, but I'm looking forward to seeing your around the site!

lynnlefey
10 July 2003, 07:44 AM
Hey Templar,

I guess my only statement about your problem with the D20 system is that the game assumes heroic classes MUST have some exposure to combat situations, and therefor must develop combat skills per level.

AD&D was one of the earliest game systems I played, and I know 3E (and therefor D20 in general) pretty well. Unlike a lot of gamers who fall in love with a system, I have played enough different systems to see good and bad in any of them. The best system for game mechanics (Champoins, IMO) is also the most bogged down with number-crunching.

The idea of Class and Level are almost a disservice to the evolution of D20 at this point. I think they'd be better off with just an Archtype, and allow people to make the character they wanted.

Anyway, you take the good with the bad, and end up with a pretty good system, I think. Just as Champions works best representing super-powered characters, the D20 system works well to represent the power level seen in Epic Fantasy and Star Wars. For me, it is a more than adaquate tool for telling the tale I wish to tell.

Nice to meet you, and welcome back.