PDA

View Full Version : The.Force.Net?

BRodgers
17 July 2003, 11:26 AM
Hey gang,

Just wondering if any of you have posted any fan fiction to TheForce.Net and what your experiences were. Did you get much feedback? Was it helpful? Was it worth the effort?

Hope to hear some feedback. Thanks!

Sabre
17 July 2003, 08:31 PM
I posted a story to TF.N. You can find it at

http://fanfic.theforce.net/fanfic.asp?action=view&ID=791

I've posted it here before in the fan fiction section. I posted there because I wanted a wider audience than it got here. The process invovles screening by two beta readers, then if they pass it it goes to the editors. Beta readers are pretty easy to pass. The editors are sticklers for all sorts of obscure Englishe conventions, and give you a LOT of corrections. Some of the stuff they say is pretty good and you think "well duh, how did I miss THAT?" And some of the stuff is frustrating because you did it that way for story purposes whether it was conventionally correct or not. It can take months of email correspondance to get your story in, even if your first draft is relatively error free.

Then they release your story in one of their monthly updates. They do as many as three per month, I think depending on how many submissions they get, and people read and rate your story. If you just want it read and don't care for your rating, you don't have the option to do without being rated, but I've looked through their archive a bit and there aren't many ratings lower than 7, so either people are really generous or everything that gets into the archive is good.

Whether or not it was worth it is another matter. Getting positive comments posted and getting a high rating are pretty nice, but sometimes less than positive comments are posted (though they ban and delete trolls and outright insults) and that can be hard to take if you really like what you wrote. I haven't found out how to see how many readings my story has, and I haven't looked in a while, but I got my wider audience and that made it worth it to me. It was also pretty satisfying to pass scrutiny and get something published on a popular fan site.

I think I may have been a bit negative, but overall I'd say go for it, if you can handle having them tell you to re-write it.

BRodgers
18 July 2003, 11:53 AM
Cool!

Thanks for the feedbackSabre!

I've checked out some of the fiction they have posted over there..not too bad. I'll look into it further and weigh my options.

Thanks again!

:)