PDA

View Full Version : Question about cloning

Dev-Tar Kilthou
17 July 2003, 02:16 PM
Just how popular is cloning? I mean couldn't anyone with the right amount of money go and clone themselves or is it harder then that?

I mean there were millions of clones of Jango. So if someone had lets say a few billions credits just laying around. Couldn't they go and make a clone army of themself?

Codym
18 July 2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Dev-Tar Kilthou
Just how popular is cloning? I mean couldn't anyone with the right amount of money go and clone themselves or is it harder then that?

I mean there were millions of clones of Jango. So if someone had lets say a few billions credits just laying around. Couldn't they go and make a clone army of themself?

According to Episode II, pretty much yeah. As for how popular it is, probably not very. Dialogue makes it sound like an expensive prossess, and then there is the long wait involved (ten years with modern tech to make a fully grown clone,) and also cheaper, more accessible alternatives (Droids, concripts etc.) I'd also say that the Republic probably had some rules on the size of standing armies and the like. This is just speculation on my part, but makes a kind of sense.

Darthspectre84
18 July 2003, 11:16 AM
As said it is an expensive process and only two cultures i know of use cloning. The Khommites (sp?) and the Kaminoans (sp?). And both dont use it for war. They use it for the propagation of their society and one also uses it as a service...for the right price of course.

Dev-Tar Kilthou
18 July 2003, 01:32 PM
ok thats kinda what I thought just wandering thanks.

Errin Orwain
26 July 2003, 11:47 AM
also consider how hard it is to find a good cloner in the first place, what with Sith Lords eraseing their planets from galaxtic maps and all.

Faraer
26 July 2003, 12:41 PM
I'd liken cloning technology to cloaking technology: both are generally known but rarely encountered due to expense, rarity of expertise, etc.

See here (http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/cloning/index.html).