PDA

View Full Version : Campaigning in the Old Republic

BillyBeanbag
21 July 2003, 07:08 AM
Hey, I bought SW: KotoR and have been playing it all weekend (bummer, I have to work! Put the controller down!!) and my desire to play in a SW RPG has gone up exponentially. So I'm thinking of whipping up an old republic campaign, and trying to use the game as supplemental information in making a campaign world.

Just wanted to know if anyone had successfully done something like this, and if there's anything I should watch out for.

(note: this thread may become a sort of campaign notebook where I work on Ideas for feedback, we'll see if I can transition from the formative to the productive stages.)

Ravager_of_worlds
21 July 2003, 09:15 AM
I've been pondering a Hyperspace War campaign between the Republic and the Sith Empire, but have been reluctant because I lack what little material covers this time (comics, WEG's TotJ). I certainly await Knights of the Old Republic for PC...

Some thoughts that occured on this subject included; what happens if the group wants to play both sides? is this era inherently more violent? how much of the galaxy does the republic own? what kind of astrogate modifiers are needed? who do the PCs trust?

Darthspectre84
21 July 2003, 12:39 PM
I would imagine that Tantooine was never encountered in those days. Cause the Republic never knew of Korriban and its right outside the core almost. SO i would imagine only the Core regions are known.

And as for tech, well the Sith did not use boarding craft as such, they used these large brick-like obelisks that they shot from their ships to the surface of the planet to land troops. And when they needed to recall they would pull the craft up with chains. Also i think i remember something about before shield tech came the Mass Driver was the weapon of mass destruction at the time. NCause there was no defense against it...at the time.

Corwin
21 July 2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Darthspectre84
I would imagine that Tantooine was never encountered in those days. Cause the Republic never knew of Korriban and its right outside the core almost. SO i would imagine only the Core regions are known.

Iím contemplating running a campaign about 2000 years BBY. The story will focus on the expansion of the Republic and the conflict it creates with independent systems on the galactic frontier.

Iím also looking forward to KotOR, I just hope they bring it out on PS2. Ether that, or Iíll have to get more memory for my PC.

As I understand it, by the time of the Great Hyperspace War, Republic explorers had made it to the Outer Rim. However, the Slice was really the only section of the galaxy well charted at this point Republic control probably only went as far as the expansion regions.

Some day I'd like to see some one assmeble a map of the galaxy showing the borders of the Sith Empire.

Darthspectre84
22 July 2003, 04:31 AM
That would be interesting to see a map of the Sith Empire....i would think they had only...20 systems or so under their control.

Alot of the expansion came after the Sith War..way after.Did not know they reached the outer rim. But still Tantooine had not been reached yet. I wonder if they reached Mon Calamari?

Corwin
22 July 2003, 10:38 AM
I kind of doubt they reached Mon Calamari since it's way, way of the Slice.

BillyBeanbag
22 July 2003, 10:52 AM
Actually, that brings up a good point, what alien races hadn't been encountered yet, so I can remove them from the list of playable races.

(as for Tattooine, I'm pretty sure it's in the SW: KotOR game, not that it's canon or anything)

Darthspectre84
22 July 2003, 10:59 AM
Races eh?
Well as just has been said the Mon Calamari are not known
Genosians not known
Not sure about Wookies and Trandoshans? they are close but not sure
Ewoks are not known :P :D
Hutt Space is know though, cause i remember seeing a Hutt in the first contact between the Sith and Republic
Dont think Ryloth is known

Nemo Sage
22 July 2003, 01:24 PM
hey,

In the tales of the Jedi comics, one of the characters is from Tattooine, another from Ryloth.
According to the essential chronology, Hutt space actually predates the republic. It mensions that the Nikto and the Weequay have been in their service since then.
On a pervious post on this subject, someone speculated that the current Corperate Sector might encompass the former Sith Empire, since Korriban is really close, and the Corperate Sector contains over a thousand worlds that have no native intelligent life. Could this be a Sith experiment gone wrong?

~nemo

Darthspectre84
22 July 2003, 01:43 PM
Hmmm intersting point about a Sith Experiment. But one must remember that all the hyperspace routes were not charted at the time. And the Coroporate sector is still abit far from Korriban.

Did not know about the Ryloth one....but Hutts i knew predated the Republic. Nomi Sunrider fought a Hutt after her husband got killed by one of them.

Sabermaster
22 July 2003, 05:17 PM
I lot of the outer Rim where more Colonies and the like. Sparsely populated, and the like.

Corwin
23 July 2003, 01:27 AM
Wookies and Trandoshans became known to the Republic in this era. Not sure on the exact date, or weather it was before, during, or after the Great Hyperspace War. From what I understand it was before the Sith War.

AzmoDanakar
23 July 2003, 05:13 AM
The WEG's book Tales of the Jedi is truly great for that era. I run a campaign set in that timeframe, roughly 100 years after the 'death' of Exar Kun, or 60 years after KOTOR. My advice for that time period, is to make up a few dozen ships and NPC's and some of your own planets to give it a deep immersion feel.
Much of the "Slice" was explored but Hyperspace travel was certainly not as much of a sure thing as it is during the Skywalker Epoch. There is alot of free reign for where you can take a campaign back then as there isn't much material there. As a GM if you see the lack of material as a good thing ( ie, a chance to create much of it from whole cloth) than you should have a lot of fun.

Corwin
23 July 2003, 07:45 PM
Iíve gathered a lot of art of the Internet that I use for role-playing material. Lately Iíve been picking out pieces that have an Old Republic feel to them. This is a much better way to start thinking about stats for things like ships, and to a lesser extent characters, then just thinking ďI need a heavy cruiser, let me go write stats for itĒ.

Darthspectre84
24 July 2003, 05:28 AM
Well in that time period the galaxy was more...open so to speak. Cause you can tell in the Empires time that every planet near ther core the Empire could get you. But in the ld Republic era, you could easily hide but more easily get lost.

One thing interesting is that alot of species that you see in this era are never seen again. Like the Jedi Master who looks like a jelly fish in a jar. Or the four legged master.

AzmoDanakar
25 July 2003, 07:32 AM
It may also be of help to you if you cook up a dozen or so ship stats, and NPC's and your own factions. The good thing is tehre are no Canon related issues to step on so go nuts~!

the mother brain looking jedi master was a Celegian, I believe.

AzmoDanakar
25 July 2003, 07:39 AM
... Not that you have to stay married to canon to be a successful storyteller in the SWRPG, didnt want to open that most unfriendly can of worms.

I came up with the following.

8 orignal planets, just to have more license.
A feared pirate organization that has subjugated a star system
A prominent Freight hauling company, its owner and his disowned smuggler son.
3 bounty hunter NPCs of the time, because PC's usually upset the type of people that hire them.
A couple of competeing Crime Lords to have that underworld flavor that so many are so fond of.
36 Ships, ranging from Sith Locusts. to the YG 7500. Just to provide a range of common vessels. hyperdrive modifiers are typically X6-X10
2 dozen NPC brief treatment write ups, I am a firm believer that it is better to sketch in broad strokes, as PC's will undo the more detailed plans.

Once I play KOTOR for the PC I will modify these I am sure, and will have a better working understanding of the Republic Naval forces at the very least.

Darthspectre84
25 July 2003, 12:14 PM
I am not sure if the Republic had a proper military at the time. Cause in Attack of the CLones remember they said that their had not been a full scale war since the formation fo the Republic. And the Republic is peace and corruption so no tough army :)

Errin Orwain
26 July 2003, 11:44 AM
36 Ships, ranging from Sith Locusts. to the YG 7500. Just to provide a range of common vessels. hyperdrive modifiers are typically X6-X10

Acctually page 149 of the Dark Side Sourcebook states that x1 hyperdrives are not availible untill after the Sith War (5000 years before Ep IV). page 151 states that x2 and slower hyperdrives are availible. Light sabers have a belt mounted powerpack connected to the handle by a cable, they weight 3 kilos, and according to PotJ page 62 states that lightsaber defense; knight defense; and master defense cannot be used with such a saber, so would not exist in that era, and lastly they threaten crit on 20 only.

Nemo Sage
27 July 2003, 02:00 PM
Hey,

The hyperdrive speeds listed in for the TotJ era are one of the things that bothered me about both the Dark Side sourcebook, and the PotJ book.
In the old TotJ sourcebook from west end games, they listed the hyperdrive speeds of being anywhere from x7 to x11, which I like a lot more. It means that it takes a lot longer to get anywhere, making starship travel similar in feel to sailing ships. This helps add to the arachic feel of the era.
At least in my opinion.