PDA

View Full Version : Starship Groups

kevin
22 July 2003, 10:26 AM
I did some searching and I couldn' t find anything anywhere on how many starships are in each group. you hear all the time refrences to starfighter squadrans and fleets of ships, but exactly how many are in each group?

jediwookie
22 July 2003, 10:36 AM
A typical starfighter squadron has 12 fighters, at 100 percent. Groups usually fly in wings of 2, 3 and sometimes 4. The most common is 3 though. As for fleets, I don't think theres a set number for how many ships are in a fleet.

Nova Spice
22 July 2003, 11:03 AM
A starfighter squadron is indeed a group of twelve ships.

-Starfighter Wing: 36-72
-Squadron: 12
-Flight Group: 4
-Shield Trio: 3 (NJO)
-Wing Pair: 2

As far as capital ships, these are my best guesstimations:

-Armada (500+ capital ships)
-Flotilla (200+ capital ships)
-Fleet (25+ capital ships)
-Task Force (Under 25 capital ships)

Granted, there are some task forces that have over twenty five vessels, but these numbers are more along "standard" lines I would think.

Errin Orwain
26 July 2003, 04:12 PM
a typical fighter wing has three squadrons for 36 fighters total.
the Rebellion/New Republic liked to form wings with different fighter types to compliment each other. example: 12 A-wings; 12 X-wings; and 12 Y-wings in a standard attack wing, or 12 B-wings; 12 X-wings; and 12 Y-wings in a heavy attack wing, or maybe a mix of A-wings; Xwings; and E-wings for a fast attack or recon wing.

:wedge:

JudroBathens
28 July 2003, 05:13 PM
My understanding, based on what has been mentioned in various SW (mostly EU) sources as well as real life references:

2 craft (leader and wingman)=1 Element
2 Elements=1 Flight
3-4 Flights=1 squadron (In SW, most squadrons seem to be 12 craft)
3+ Squadrons=1 wing (or possibly group)
2+ wings=1 group (or vice versa)

I'm a little shaky on the wing/group thing; in RL, it's kind of unclear. I know that in the USAF, a Wing is a higher (i. e. larger) organizational level than a Group. On the other hand, in the RAF, a Group Captain is a higher rank than a Wing Commander (and therefore by implication, a Group is a larger/higher-level unit than a Wing).

As far as capital ships; well, that's probably a highly-variable thing. I know that in the sail-era Royal Navy, up to five ships constituted a squadron, while 5+ sail of ships was a fleet. In modern times, such groupings are based less on number of ships and more on specific taskings or mission requirements. A 'fleet' can refer to a navy's entire complement of ships, or any significant subdivision thereof.

Deck
3 August 2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
As far as capital ships, these are my best guesstimations:
-Armada (500+ capital ships)
-Flotilla (200+ capital ships)
-Fleet (25+ capital ships)
-Task Force (Under 25 capital ships)

Hello folks!

I did some homework, and here is what I have: :)

First, a small note: The word "flotilla" comes from Italy and is the diminutive form of the word fleet. Thus a flotilla can't be larger than a fleet. Oxford's definition of flotilla is "small fleet" or "fleet of small warships". :)

And here is a possible fleet managment table:<table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" align="center">
<tr><td><font size="1"><b>Type</b></font></td><td><font size="1"><b>Number of ships</b></font></td><td><font size="1"><b>Affiliation</b></font></td><td><font size="1"><b>Commanded by</b></font></td><td><font size="1"><b>Second in command</b></font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size="1">Single Ship</font></td><td><font size="1">1</font></td><td><font size="1">Part of a Line or Squadron</font></td><td><font size="1">Commander (only modest sized ships)<br>Captain</font></td><td><font size="1">Lt.-Cdr. (only modest sized ships)<br>Commander</font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size="1">Line</font></td><td><font size="1">4-20</font></td><td><font size="1">Part of squadron or Fleet</font></td><td><font size="1">Line Captain<br>Commodore (larger Lines)</font></td><td><font size="1">Captain</font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size="1">Squadron</font></td><td><font size="1">14-60</font></td><td><font size="1">Part of a Systems Force or Fleet</font></td><td><font size="1">Rear Admiral<br>Vice Admiral (larger Squadrons)</font></td><td><font size="1">Commodore</font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size="1">Systems Force</font></td><td><font size="1">80-110</font></td><td><font size="1">Part of a Fleet, Sector Group or independant</font></td><td><font size="1">Admiral</font></td><td><font size="1">Commodore, Rear or Vice Admiral</font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size="1">Fleet</font></td><td><font size="1">300-500</font></td><td><font size="1">Part of a Sector Force or independant</font></td><td><font size="1">Fleet Admiral</font></td><td><font size="1">any other type of admiral</font></td></tr>
<tr><td><font size="1">Sector Force</font></td><td><font size="1">2400</font></td><td><font size="1">Independant</font></td><td><font size="1">High Admiral (Yay!)</font></td><td><font size="1">any other type of admiral</font></td></tr>
</table>

Hope it helps. :)

Errin Orwain
3 August 2003, 01:51 PM
Good info. Thanks