PDA

View Full Version : Why they be hating?

bagman19
30 July 2003, 05:13 AM
I read the rundown on GenCon, sounded like a lot of fun, I will try to go next year.

My problem is with the story about how fansites aren't Lucasfilm's favorite thing. Why??? What did we ever do, aside from Nazzie's Okina? I would think they would love us, as WE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO BUY THEIR BOOKS!!! Star Wars is one of, if not the biggest franchise EVER and part of that reason is that we have the internet and fan sites like this where we can banter and argue about d20 vs. d6, munchkins, lightsabers vs. adamantium, etc. etc.

If not for fansites, Star Wars would be like Captain Power or B5, Andromeda, the like. And as for making our own stats, well, yeah, if we don't, who will? Wizards? We don't have typos!!!

Corporate mentality drives me nuts!

Sorry bout the rant there, just looking for some people (ie Lucas) to be grateful for the dough I shell out for his stuff.

Chris Curtis
30 July 2003, 08:50 AM
I can't comment on that note from the SWRPG Update Seminar because I left it before that came up. However, I'll say that it's obviously not a "deep seething hatred" type thing or else none of our sites would be around.

My guess is that Rodney's note is taken a bit out of context and it isn't quite what you might be imagining. Then again, I may be wrong...

bagman19
30 July 2003, 08:52 AM
Oh, well, if that is the case, then never mind. I work a boring job so sometimes Internet stuff gets me overexcited.

dgswensen
30 July 2003, 09:15 AM
I don't think they have a problem with fansites so much as copyright violation within fansites. Which is pretty hard to avoid when you're making a Star Wars fan site.

I don't know much about copyright or IP law, but the impression I've gotten from several sources is that if you don't defend your IP, you can lose it -- so every once in a while the Lucasfilm lawyers come out swinging.

MassassiC
30 July 2003, 09:30 AM
Well LucasFilm Ltd. would then have to fight against things like fair use and freedom of speech. Most of the 'targets' of any lawsuits would most likely be around providing stats that may come up in a Wizards book and the such, or stopping software dealing with Star Wars (since that's totally the realm of LucasArts and no-one else).
Most fan sites will have no problems at all... just those that are deemed to be damaging intellectual property (or worse) will get any notice.
That's how I see it anyway.