PDA

View Full Version : Solo Family Dysfunction

scourgicus
30 July 2003, 08:02 AM
I was pondering this the other day - have you ever considered that despite what the Solo kids have been through (kidnappings[multiple], dark side troubles, death threats to them and parents [bombs going off etc]) that they all turned out rather functional? Is it me or should they all be basket cases? :?

Corwin
30 July 2003, 02:39 PM
I was actually pondering just this question when I was reading Vector Prime. It seems that you couldnít go through these kinds of things with out massive psychological trauma; then again science in the Star Wars galaxy is quite a bit beyond ours (and by quite a bit I mean a few thousand years). It dosnít seem unlikely that psychiatric medicine has gotten to the point where there are simple and effective cures for things like post-traumatic stress disorder etc.

Still, even with that in mind those kids medical bills must be astronomical. I hope New Republic civil servants have a good medical plane.

Tramp
31 July 2003, 12:51 PM
Considering the support mechanism they had (a Jedi Master for example) and the training they'd been given throughout their lives, I think it's safe to assume that the were able to deal with their unusual upbringing just fine. Think about it, they probably just considered it normal to go through those kinds of things.

Dea-Ev Dacal
31 July 2003, 08:54 PM
Well, considering they were usually the solution to the problem, I'm surprised they didn't turn out to be overconfident power hungry demons like the Emperor. And as we all know Overconfidence leads to demise, just ask Tarkin and the Emperor, oh wait! you cant ;). So all things considered, they turned out pretty well.

Jaina whole freak out darksider thing may have been caused due to suppresed psychological trauma, and Anakins death just pushed her over the edge.
E.D.

Corwin
1 August 2003, 05:54 PM
Some of us havan't read that far yet, thank you ver much.

Tramp
1 August 2003, 05:57 PM
Dark Journey came out over a year ago. by Forum standards, info about it no longer requires Spoiler warnings, since its assumed that a majority of fans have read it.

Wedge in Red2
2 August 2003, 05:41 AM
Yeah, sorry Corwin, Tramp's right. I feel similarly to you, as I'm not very far into the NJO at all (recently finished Balance Point), but the rules are the rules. I'm sorry you had to read that, but Dea-Ev Dacal is under no obligation to put spoilers in any more.

Regards,

Jon

Corwin
2 August 2003, 08:15 PM
Huh, I was unaware of that one year limit. I saw enough relatively new threads about AotC that I figured the obligation didnít have a expression date.

I really wouldnít have minded much if the thing had been on a thread where Iíd logically expect to find spoilers, as opposed to one on a general topic like this. It actually wasnít the first Iíd heard of Anakianís death pre se -my GM mentioned some thing about it but I was pretty sure he was joking.:raised:

Ardent
3 August 2003, 11:36 AM
Dark Journey is over a year old? Oy, I've lost track of time...

But yeah, when discussing anything EU you really need to be careful about reading down since spoilers do tend to crop up frequently. Could you imagine how silly it'd be if everyone had to tag SPOILER to a post that included Grand Admiral Thrawn? :x

Nova Spice
3 August 2003, 07:52 PM
Dark Journey is over a year old? Oy, I've lost track of time...

Dark Journey came out in January 2002. That means it's over a year and half old. Which means that unfortunately Corwin, spoiler tags are no longer required for that novel.

Anything from Traitor and back no longer requires a warning of spoilers. Traitor in itself will be a year old in a couple of weeks. 8o

Times does fly doesn't it?

Jim Williams
3 August 2003, 08:52 PM
Could you imagine how silly it'd be if everyone had to tag SPOILER to a post that included Grand Admiral Thrawn?

Yeah, I'm almost done with Heir to the Empire. I sure hope he doesn't die...

By the way, if you want to talk about being disappointed/crushed by a spoiler...

My wife had picked up Star by Star for me after it had been out for awhile. What was I perusing as I thanked her warmly for her heartfelt gift to her loving husband? You guessed it! The Star Wars Insider!!!

I'm sure you remember the one I'm talking about if you subscribe. It had this nice article about New Jedi Order Jedi. Including a nice, fat, non-spoiler tagged, detailed, explicit, no-way-to-get-it-confused-because-you-read-it-twice-out-of-shock revelation that ANAKIN SKYWALKER DIED during the mission in Star by Star.

Not that it didn't, you know, completely piss me off reading that in a magazine we had just started subscribing to. Not one bit.

I'm better now by the way. Lots.

And for the record, IMO a hard childhood can instill resilience as often as it can instill weakness. Guided by their peers and uncle, I think its reasonable how they turned out.

Wedge in Red2
4 August 2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Corwin
Huh, I was unaware of that one year limit. I saw enough relatively new threads about AotC that I figured the obligation didnít have a expression date.

To quote the FAQ (which everyone should know by heart anyway ;)):

It is typically used up to and approximately one week after the release of an item.

Informally I think the standard has always been a 2 months, because a week really isn't enough time for some people to catch up. As far as I'm aware, there's no formal 1 year rule, but perhaps there should be. Anyone want to second the notion? If so, I'll put a fixed post in the forum saying that spoilers should be used for books less than a year old...

Jon

Tramp
4 August 2003, 08:31 AM
Personally, I think 2 months is plenty of time and should be made official. One week is a little too short a time, but one year is a little much IMO.

Rogue Janson
4 August 2003, 02:35 PM
Don't forget there may be a delay in release for people in different countries. (And cheap people, like me, wait for the paperbacks, which can take a while.)

Marusame
4 August 2003, 04:05 PM
I would like to point out that since the spoiler was about Anakin dying, you're all talking about the wrong book.

Pretty sure Annie #2 died in Star by Star. (I think that was the book right before dark journey... )

Darthspectre84
5 August 2003, 05:07 AM
Your right its Star by Star, Dark journey is after that where Jaina has an encounter with the darkside.