PDA

View Full Version : Coruscant in the original trilogy

whiteraven1983
30 July 2003, 09:02 AM
I've been debating this for some time now but why wasn't Coruscant seen in Episodes IV-VI. (I know special Edition has about three seconds of it). But when you think about the role the planet is playing in the prequels, it would only be logical there would be at least mention of the planet the original trilogy. Was the world simply not created in Lucas's mind twenty years ago?

Korpil
30 July 2003, 09:23 AM
Take a read at Laurent Bouzereau's excellent "Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays", where he explains in detail the conception of the original trilogy.

There was a galactic capital planet that Luke would have visited to meet the Emperor, named Had Abbadon. There is even a conceptual painting depicting a large Imperial Palace. In the end, George Lucas decided it was better to move that scene to the throne room inside the Death Star and basically that's why we never got to see Coruscant.

BTW, the name Coruscant was coined by Timothy Zahn in his Thrawn trilogy, George Lucas decided it was better than Had Abbadon and kept if for the prequels.

Korpil
30 July 2003, 09:25 AM
Also I found this in the official site that explains basically the same, but with pictures ;)

http://www.starwars.com/eu/feature/20000807/

whiteraven1983
30 July 2003, 11:28 AM
thank you! you have been more than helpful

Korpil
30 July 2003, 11:34 AM
You're totally welcome, and well, I didn't recall that Alderaan was to be supposed to be the capital world!

But yes, it was... now I remember that on the first scripts the heroes were supposed to rescue princess Leia from Alderaan, the capital world.... again, GL changed it to the Death Star... guess he has a fixation with Death Stars... ;) At least there is a Death Star in 3 of the 5 movies produced so far ;)