PDA

View Full Version : Would they dare?

michaleg
31 July 2003, 02:39 AM
Hi,

What if, there comes a time, where GL is no more and the SW trademark is passed onto another (maybe our only hope?) and this someone decides that with techonology it would be possible to get look-alike actors to mimic the likes of Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamil, etc, using computer face rendering and synthesized speech mimicing to do more star wars movies set after ROTJ.

Actor salaries would be a composite of lower paid body doubles and royalties paid to Harrison, Carrie and Mark for their "trademark" voices and faces (it has been speculated that actors faces and voices would one day become trademarks for virtual actors). Face overlay technology is rumored to have already been used in the current sw movies, could it not be possible to take it a step further?

What do you think?, would it be possible to replicate such actors to produce movie versions of say, Zahns books?

And if so, do you think someone would?

And if they did, do you think you would enjoy it?

Would be interested to hear your views

Michael G

Wedge in Red2
31 July 2003, 04:09 AM
Yes, it would be possible.

Yes, I think someone will (me :)).

Yes, I will enjoy it.

Seriously, a couple of years ago I though it'd be cool to do more SW movies - there's definitely a demand out there for them, and I particularly enjoy the Thrawn trilogy. Now all I need to do is figure out how to convince George to let me...

Ah, dreams are free...

Jon

michaleg
31 July 2003, 06:39 AM
Hi,

I was watching a doco on the film industry the other day and they were saying that in the early days writers' stories were limited by the technology of the day, when they said "can we do this" and the effects people said "no, but we could do something like this" the writer would go away saying "ok, I can rewrite the plot to accomodate that".

Now they are saying, with technology as it stands today (cgi stuff and all that), the only limits are peoples imaginations, that there are no more limits due to special effects or technology.

Soooo... when they run out of ideas, say in 10yrs I wonder if someone will say... "you know, since we can replicate these actors virtually, why don't we...?"

The only thing that would stop them trying would be GL's control of the trademarks, so if they were to be passed on, what would stop someone then?

Michael G

Seghast
31 July 2003, 09:04 PM
If they went that far, I'd watch the movies, definitely. If it's the Thrawn trilogy, I may have to be physically dragged out of the theater because I loved the books.

And if they'd be willing to go that far, I say they can go a little further and give us Episode 5.5, Shadows of the Empire.

Tramp
1 August 2003, 06:42 PM
While it would be nice, It ain't gonna happen. GL has stated that no one is allowed to make any new SW movies after the prequels, even after he's gone.

AzmoDanakar
2 August 2003, 09:23 AM
The Lucas estate will continue to defend the rights of its holdings long after the Flanneled One has become one with the Force. A friend of mine ( who actually posts on these boards) had a plan some years ago to marry Lucas' daughter and convince her to give him the rights after Uncle George's death. This plan, although never realized still makes me laugh,
Ah.. to be a fan-boy.

Rogue Janson
2 August 2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Tramp
While it would be nice, It ain't gonna happen. GL has stated that no one is allowed to make any new SW movies after the prequels, even after he's gone.
Ah, but how's he gonna know?
Unless he really does come back as a Force spirit to make sure.

Tramp
3 August 2003, 11:21 AM
He wouldn't know, but his estate ould. From what I've read, and heard, it's written in his Will that even his kids can't continue the movie series after his passing. Once EPIII is released, there will be no more SW movies made at all. That doesn't leave out the possibilities of a TV series or cartoon series, just no more movies.

Ardent
3 August 2003, 11:40 AM
Unfortunately for GL, when he does pass on and his children (I believe it's his children) inhereit the estate, they're free to make their own choices on what can and can't happen. While one would expect them to respect their father's wishes, Christoper Tolkien didn't. So it's definitely not outside the realm of possibility.

As it stands, you could probably make a NJO era movie right now. You might have to find a replacement for Carrie Fisher as Leia, but I'm betting that wouldn't be too hard. Everyone else more or less looks like their characters are supposed to.

Tramp
3 August 2003, 11:45 AM
There wouldn't be a need to replace Carrie Fisher, she's of the right age to still play Leia. In fact, all of the actors could still play their parts. The trick would be getting them to, particularly Harrison Ford. I wouldn't see a problem with either Fisher or Hammil reprising their roles, though Ford is another matter. Regardless, it's not going to happen anyway, but it's still fun to speculate.

Sasche
3 August 2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by michaleg
Now they are saying, with technology as it stands today (cgi stuff and all that), the only limits are peoples imaginations, that there are no more limits due to special effects or technology.

Whoever they are, IMO they are wrong. While anything from your imagination could be put on the screen, technology has not made it "indistinguishable" from the real thing yet. It is still obvious that CGI is present. As good as it is, technology of the present has not completely replaced the real thing (yet?). IMO it still has a decent amount of time to go (10 yrs?) before we will not be able to tell the difference (on casual viewing)

There is a reason why Peter Jackson chose to use Miniatures for most things instead of CGI. With todays tech, the miniatures still look better.

(IMO Lucas could learn from this. I still think that the Trench Run from EP4 has a better overall feel than the Clone vs Droid war in Ep2. I can't explain why. I'm not an expert in the field. I acknowledge that the CGI is more "crisp" and "seemless". But, CGI still looks more "fake" than miniatures.)

Ardent
3 August 2003, 05:06 PM
I think Miniatures are always going to look better simply because the primary medium (e.g. film) was created with tangible focus in mind. As far as Fisher and revising her role, am I incorrect in believing she doesn't want to act any more? I thought she wanted to focus on being a writer...which is actually what Mark Hammil is up to, as well. Anyway, it's possible in theory. :x

Silent
3 August 2003, 06:09 PM
As for computer-cloning the actors, I'd think that they would probably have some legal say in that kind of thing as well, since it is their faces and voices that are being copied, not just the characters they portray. Still, anyone here had any copyright experience in this kind of thing?

Speaking of copyright, isn't there a clause in the laws that make all material public domain yea many years (or more likely decades) after the death of the creator? I'm sure that I remember stories of that kind of thing, as people wait for the time to run out, and I can't see the descendants of Charlse Dickens still raking in the money from each book and movie adaption that is from his works. So, if anyone wants to freeze themselves 100 years into the future so that they can create their own sequels, I guess you have hope!:P

stoic_75
6 August 2003, 04:01 PM
Do you even have to ask? What do you think will happen if Christopher Lee "kacks" while shooting? They've already digitally mapped his head and put it on a stuntman for the Episode II finale. Lucas has stated several times he wants an entirely digital movie. The next step would be for Lucas to use digital actors, a concept I find unsettling. Good thing there's no such thing as digitall audiences.

Originally posted by michaleg
Hi,

What if, there comes a time, where GL is no more and the SW trademark is passed onto another (maybe our only hope?) and this someone decides that with techonology it would be possible to get look-alike actors to mimic the likes of Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamil, etc, using computer face rendering and synthesized speech mimicing to do more star wars movies set after ROTJ.

Actor salaries would be a composite of lower paid body doubles and royalties paid to Harrison, Carrie and Mark for their "trademark" voices and faces (it has been speculated that actors faces and voices would one day become trademarks for virtual actors). Face overlay technology is rumored to have already been used in the current sw movies, could it not be possible to take it a step further?

What do you think?, would it be possible to replicate such actors to produce movie versions of say, Zahns books?

And if so, do you think someone would?

And if they did, do you think you would enjoy it?

Would be interested to hear your views

Michael G

Coder2000
7 August 2003, 06:58 AM
Episode 2 was shot completely in front of green screens with backgrounds being miniatures filmed at a different time.

VixenofVenus
7 August 2003, 02:28 PM
That's not true Coder.

They built many sets. SOME of the sets were Green-Screen, but not ALL.

Tramp
7 August 2003, 07:52 PM
Actually, what Coder said was partially true. Green screen was used in every shot to one degree or another, most of the time it was merely to expand the existing sets or add background elements through windows and such. Others were for full CG environments.