PDA

View Full Version : New Tie Fighter

CommanderSerov
1 August 2003, 02:09 PM
In the latest LucasArts newsletter, shots from the new game Rogue Squadron III were included. There was a 3D model of a new tie fighter, that was absolutely off the hook. Does anyone have any information about this new ship, anything at all will do. I love new ties, and this one is great!

-CommanderSerov

Darthspectre84
1 August 2003, 02:58 PM
YOu know a name? cause i have not heard of this. Wonder whats its purpose is though? cause all Imperial TIEs have already exhausted their functions. Cloaking. Bombing. Tanks. INterceptors. Droids. Mentioning the many TIEs out there. I think they never made a TIE walker?

CommanderSerov
1 August 2003, 03:05 PM
I do not know the name, but have only seen a pic... It is sleek and has a profile reminiscent of an interceptor, with a fairly large engine emplied, as well as some very large gunports. Give me your email and I will foreward a pic to you.

Tossk
1 August 2003, 03:30 PM
I think the purpose is to uppdate technology. The original TIE was a basic interceptor, then the TIE Interceptor came in and kicked butt; now this new TIE is the best of the best as far as I can tell. The 181st has a few of these, if I'm not guessing incorrectly.

Rogue Janson
1 August 2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Tossk
I think the purpose is to uppdate technology. The original TIE was a basic interceptor, then the TIE Interceptor came in and kicked butt; now this new TIE is the best of the best as far as I can tell. The 181st has a few of these, if I'm not guessing incorrectly.

Better than a TIE interceptor is a TIE advanced. That has the interceptor style cut-aways on both the front and back of the wings. Quad lasers are mounted on the wings like the interceptor, there are also missile tubes underneath the cockpit. It also (the Avenger version at least) has a sort of flattened engine section.

Better than a TIE advanced is a TIE defender - iirc, the 181st is known to have flown these at one point. The defender has three wing arrays equally spaced around the fuselage. Each of these has two wings sticking out at angles, like a Y.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's neither of those. Lucasarts loves making up new TIE designs. (It's like they have some kind of random TIE generator.)

farr0095
1 August 2003, 03:44 PM
I can only assume this (http://www.lucasarts.com/products/rebelstrike/concepts.jsp?num=3) is the TIE you are asking about. I'm not sure about it, and we likely really won't know until the game is released. But it is an interesting design.

CommanderSerov
1 August 2003, 03:45 PM
No, I am familiar with the tie family. I know ints, adv's (most famous varients) defenders, raptors, bombers, scims, uglies (incld deathseeds) crawlers and about everything else. This is brand new. Post your email and I'll send a copy.

CommanderSerov
1 August 2003, 03:46 PM
Yeah, Shannon, that;s the one. I am jonsing to know more!

dgswensen
1 August 2003, 04:36 PM
It does look like an update to the TIE Interceptor design.

Looks pretty sweet.

Deck
2 August 2003, 12:40 AM
Would anyone mind to attach an image here in this message and share it with the community? I don't know what you are talking about. Thank you. :)

Darthspectre84
2 August 2003, 02:57 AM
Wow an interesting design :) but looks like it will follow the Interceptor pathway. Those wings are just calling for it ;).

farr0095
2 August 2003, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Deck
Would anyone mind to attach an image here in this message and share it with the community? I don't know what you are talking about. Thank you. :)

Well, I put a link above, but when a Mod asks you to post a pic, what can you say?? ;)

Here you go:
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/rebelstrike/images/concepts/3.jpg

Edit: Oops, I attached the image instead of putting it inline. Deleted attachment and posted image.

Vanger Chevane
2 August 2003, 05:17 AM
While it does look like it's following the T/I and T/A line, judging from the pic it'll carry the T/A wing-mount quad laser & internal warhead launchers, but adds a pair of ion or some other heavy cannon in the wing roots. The wings also appear to be S-Foiled & fold up similar to the venerable X-Wing.

It looks very much like Sienar Fleet Systems has produced a design similar to the Twi'Lek Chir'Daki, but without the B-W style stabilizer ring around the cockpit, with typical SFS styling, and probably some suitably Imperial name tacked onto it, like TIE Enforcer (T/E).

Interesting, one wonders if this is going to be a standard SFS design or some Warlord Custom...

Rogue Janson
2 August 2003, 05:34 AM
I don't see evidence of wing mounted quadlasers, warhead launchers or a stabiliser ring. The wings could be foldable, though the little raised sections (look like air intakes, lights at the back of them) would mean they wouldn't lie flat.

I wouldn't get too excited about the ship, lucasarts churns new TIEs out all over the place.
The ship looks unaccountably familiar to me, which makes me wonder whether one of the experimental TIEs in SWA had a similar design.

Darthspectre84
2 August 2003, 05:39 AM
Well it does look abit like the Chiss Claw Craft so perhaps....its a precursor to that design.

Vanger Chevane
2 August 2003, 05:42 AM
Rogue, look at the outside aft of the foils. They're also sliced-down stock T/I foils, probably with the built-in guns intact.

The main body & pylons of this thing are pure TIE Advanced, so I presume it'll carry a similar loadout, as well as shields. The launchers on both the T/A & T/D are almost totally concealed as well.

The Stabilizer Ring is a feature of the Twi'Lek Chir'Daki Fighter, one of the few Ugly designs that has a decent combat profile, tho it does lack any sort of missile weapon (4 lasers & 2 ion guns tho).

It is reminiscent of the Chiss Clawcraft, but IIRC they use 3 hardmount wings of similar design (tho smooth-cuved instead of angular) tacked to the ball at dorsal, low port, and low starboard positions.

This looks more like an updated & possibly upgunned T/A to me.

The big plus to this design is it seriously shortens the side profile. The sizable wings on the SFS TIE series have long made it easy to track and lead a TIE for a deflection shot from the side. This design will be easier to spot & track from above or below than most TIE designs, but not by all that much compared to the T/I IMHO.

Rogue Janson
2 August 2003, 07:54 AM
Take a look at this (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/chron/tieint.jpg) and I tihnk you'll see that the wings on this ship are not simply cut down interceptor ones.
Also, from a style pov, I think the size of the visible guns is making a point, making sure you know what its armament is.

The cockpit/fuselage is very reminiscent of the T/A, but I still don't think there's good evidence it has warhead launchers. IIRC, they are visible on the T/A, and also that ship has quite a large fuselage, flattened at the front and less spherical than this TIE.

I agree that this ship will have a significantly reduced profile for deflection shots. Although the shielded TIEs have always been relatively easy hit anyway, because the shields 'ill in the gaps', so your shots don't pass through.

Clawcraft is the ship I was thinking of, btw.

CommanderSerov
2 August 2003, 09:45 AM
I've been looking at this ship for a few days now, and here is what my conclusions are.

It has a pair of very large caliber cannons, the ports of which can be seen inboard of the wing/solar panel assembly. I would rate them at at least 6D damage. There is a precident for a double barrel doing this kind of damage in the A-9 Vigilence. Truthfully, I would rate it at 7D in all liklihood, because they are some huge gunports! I see no evidence of the 4 wingtip mounted cannons found in the tie int and avenger, but with such large cannons, these would not be needed.

There is a huge sublight engine on the thing, concealed by the faring behind the cockpit. The blue glow indicates this to be true... This is unusual for a tie, to have such an engine, so it is going to be fast, probably faster than a defender... The addition of the "red lights" on the wing, I would speculate may be for additional maneuvering... I would also guess it's maneuverability would be superior as well, though would not want to assign a number at this point...

The wing supports are reminiscent of the Tie Adv x1, giving it a good amount of structural integrity. It no doubt has shields as well. Ties typically have EXTERNAL box-style warhead launchers, as seen in the Avenger and Defender, however, there is no evidence of them on this design. This does not preclude an internal design, but it does fly against tie design convention. Warheads in an interceptor with such large cannons may have been omitted, as it is designed for starfighter to starfighter combat, not space superiority or anti-shipping.

People have railed lucasarts for designing too many ties, however, in reality, there really aren;t that many different designs... There is the LN, the Int, the Advanced line (several advanceds, running from Darth Vader's to the Avenger) the Defender, The Phantom (including the non cloaked Sentinel), the bomber, the Scimitar (not used in Lucasarts games), and the Advanced Bomber used in Galactic Battlegrounds. Most of these have stats. The advanced bomber in GB is not given stats, due to the Scim having the same role as an advanced bomber. I would truely like to see this new tie get stats, at least for D6 so it can be used by players like me, who love ties!

-Alan

Darthspectre84
2 August 2003, 11:01 AM
I would be interested in what role this ship has in the Imperials? Is it an updated T/A or has it got a more sinister function?

Vanger Chevane
3 August 2003, 06:56 AM
Given the obviously heavy cannon, large main drives, S-foils, and multiple maneuvering ports, I'd say this is some sort of heavy interceptor.

The design looks like it offers plenty of speed, maneuverability, and firepower, provided the mechanicals are just as cool as the looks. :P

Pilot visibility has to be about the best for the SFS TIE-series as there's not that much wing to get in the way.

Sirch Akoras
3 August 2003, 07:51 AM
Looks like an atmospheric TIE to me...

I mean, most TIEs have solid wings that make turning in the fighters near impossible, while these barely block the air that is to either side of the fighter. Also, the cockpit looks slightly more aerodynamic. Not to mention that with the wings more horizontal than vertical they can slice through the air rather than have a vertical wing creating a huge amount of drag.

Also, the engine makes it look like that it can match a TIE Interceptor's space speed in atmosphere, at the least, meaning its even faster in space.

So, Heavy Interceptor/Atmospheric Fighter.

Snowtiger
3 August 2003, 07:58 AM
For a name, how about TIE Executor or T/Ex for short...

Sirch Akoras
3 August 2003, 08:11 AM
TIE/At (TIE Atmosphere) or TIE/HI (TIE Heavy Intercepter) or TIE/S (TIE S-Foils)

Just possibilities, though not likely.

Darthspectre84
3 August 2003, 09:22 AM
Well at least we can try :) so all bets on either Heavy Interceptor or Atmospheric fighter?

Rogue Janson
3 August 2003, 09:39 AM
Bear in mind we have no firm scale reference for this fighter, so we don't know what size it is. The size of the viewport, with the hint of controls in there makes it look small, but that's not conclusive.

I'd agree that it's almost certainly designed for an interceptor role, since it has relatively large cannons and a large engine, but looks rather fragile. Atmoshperic combat is a plausible role, but I don't rate lucasarts as sophisticated enough to think of that.
Another thing to note is the size of the wings of a TIE is normally associated with power generating capacity (whether they function as solar panels or for cooling) and this ship has much smaller wing area than any other TIE. This suggests either it's power output is low - quite possibly only enough for the cannons, and no shields - or its systems are extremely efficient.

Another possibility is that the large, tapered engine section may indicate the ship is fitted with a hyperdrive.

But that's all just speculation of course.

KnightStalker
4 August 2003, 03:11 PM
I can confirm that it's not any of the Experimentals from XWA, since I've used them all as fighters in a mixed wing in a single-player quick skirmish.

I do see the possibility of the wings folding in like S-Foils, and they wouldn't necessarily need to lie flat. Technically there is an [albeit] extremely small spacing between the closed wings of an X-Wing, but that'd have no interference/drag in flight with the wings closed, since the airflow would get diverted both over and under the wings in atmosphere. In space, there's hardly enough gaseous matter to produce drag, which would make a bulky, blocky Capital-scale ship (like a Borg Cube) as easy to fly in as a nimble fighter [if ya use Babylon 5 flight physics].

Regardless of how they portray this ship, I'm already interested in seeing it receive as much official recognition as any other TIE from the X-Wing series of games.