PDA

View Full Version : Clone Trooper weapons

Tinsel
4 August 2003, 10:28 PM
can anyone tell me about the Clone trooper rifles? were they heavy rifles or light reapting rifles? Any info would be helpful. Stats would be great too.

Jim Williams
5 August 2003, 05:42 AM
Hmmm RCRB says blaster rifle, and that doesn't seem right. I'm certain the A&EG doesn't have alternate stat blocks either.

The one scene that is chilling to me is a clonetrooper opening up on a droid dekkaa (sp?) and blowing it away. Sure, it didn't have a shield, and we've seen in TPM the E-11 drop a dekkaa, but the trooper's weapon wasted it!

(sniff, sniff)

"What's that?"

"Home-brew stats coming this way!"

Faraer
5 August 2003, 06:55 AM
The standard clone trooper armaments are the DC-15 blaster (blaster carbine?) and DC-15 blaster rifle. In what scene does a clone trooper blow away a droideka on his own?

Jim Williams
5 August 2003, 08:45 AM
It's right when everyone is boarding gunships like crazy.

Filmatographically, what happens is a clonetrooper fires a burst and the movie immediately cuts to a scene with some battle droids and a droid dekkaa. The droid dekkaa gets plastered and practically blows up.

Very quick scene.

Now that's not incontrovertible proof that the blaster fire that wiped out the dekkaa came from the clonie's blaster fire from the immediately previous scene, but it sure "feels" like it.

Nova Spice
5 August 2003, 09:32 AM
In what scene does a clone trooper blow away a droideka on his own?

As Jim pointed out, it's when the gunships land for the survivors to board. One of the clonetroopers hops off the gunship, aims his weapon, and fires. The camera flashes to another scene where a droideka is blown to pieces.

My take is that the blaster rifles used by the clonetroopers were early versions of the T-21 light repeating blaster rifle seen in A New Hope by the sandtroopers. I could be wrong.

Alric Gaidin
5 August 2003, 10:42 AM
Okay, let me lay the scene down for you:

My character (an Elite Trooper) the Jedi are dealing with the BBEG while the rest of the party (4 others I think) are getting there tails whiped by two Droiddekka. They finally blow one away about the same time we (Jedi and I) dispatch the BBEG. The next round my character moves 10m to get out of the room he was in a fires 1 shot from his Heavy Blaster Pistol at the Driodekka. The Destroyer Driod (which had not previous damage) is blown into smitherines (sp?). i.e I rolled a critical hit and confirmed, and then rolled 18 points of damage (this was pre-Deadly Strike here). You should have seen the looks on the rest of the players (1 of whom was supposed to be playing "unconscious").

Anyway, point is ... while rare, 1 shot/1 kill on Driodekkas have been known to happen. :jango:

Rogue Janson
5 August 2003, 01:50 PM
If anyone's got the AotC visual dictionary, it's described in there as some kind of advanced plasma rifle, iirc.

Darth_Cassed
5 August 2003, 06:50 PM
The rifles in AotC are HUGE!! look at them! They have a lotta power backing them up. Looking at the technology, you can see that technology greatly fell when the Empire came, and still hasn't picked back up by the NJO. I think these powerful designs were gone by the time the Empire took over, and hyperdrives were much slower. Perhaps this was their attempt to limit what the citizens could do to fight back or escape from them.

Nova Spice
5 August 2003, 07:50 PM
Looking at the technology, you can see that technology greatly fell when the Empire came, and still hasn't picked back up by the NJO. I think these powerful designs were gone by the time the Empire took over, and hyperdrives were much slower. Perhaps this was their attempt to limit what the citizens could do to fight back or escape from them.

I agree. I've long been a proponent of the belief that when the Empire rose to power, it created the Star Wars equivalent of the Dark Ages. Many people scoff at me, retorting at my comments with phrases like: "You're just trying to explain why the prequels visually look better than the classics."

In all seriousness, I've always had this preconception of how majestic the galaxy was during the Republic; long before the prequels came out. I believed Obi-Wan completely when he said: "Before the dark times. Before the Empire."

The Galactic Civil War was a fight not only for freedom, but for progress as well. I'm glad you pointed this out, Cassed. Gave me a good opportunity to stand on my soapbox. :D

Returning to the topic at hand, I do still believe that these weapons were either the precursor, or the early models of the T-21 light repeating blaster rifles.

Jim Williams
5 August 2003, 10:18 PM
Damage: 3d8+2
Crit: 19-20
Rate: M/A
Ammo: 50? 100?
Range increment: 40m
Fort DC: n/a possibly? those blasters just don't "seem" capable. Or DC 18

farr0095
6 August 2003, 01:50 AM
For Shame, Mr. Williams! :P You posted system specific stats without giving stats for the other system in a system non-specific forum. ;)

So, to help you out, here are some ideas for the D6 version (I like yours for d20, by the way, and would agree no Fort save, since a basic Light Repeating Blaster does not have a Fort Save).

Clone Trooper Rifle
Model: ?? (Any help here?)
Type: Light Repeating Blaster
Scale: Character
Skill: Blaster: repeating blaster
Ammo: 50
Cost: 3,000 (new); 5,000 (used, due to availability and restriction); power packs: 100
Availability: 3,X
Range: 3-75/150/330
Damage: 6D+2

Faraer
6 August 2003, 03:46 AM
Hm, I take those shots as an accident of editing rather than implying that those two (blaster) shots disable the destroyer droid from scratch.

If anyone's got the AotC visual dictionary, it's described in there as some kind of advanced plasma rifle, iirc.All blasters are plasma weapons: see the Star Wars Visual Dictionary. The Episode II one says they're blaster rifles.

The rifles in AotC are HUGE!! look at them!About the size of DLT-20A blaster rifles, just as the smaller DC-15s are equivalent to stormtrooper E-11s.

But you guys go ahead...

Rogue Janson
6 August 2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Faraer
Hm, I take those shots as an accident of editing rather than implying that those two (blaster) shots disable the destroyer droid from scratch.

All blasters are plasma weapons: see the Star Wars Visual Dictionary. The Episode II one says they're blaster rifles.

Ok then. It does say some interesting things about them, like they have a range of 5 miles or something, though doesn't it?
Otherwise I'm clearly just imagining things.

Faraer
8 August 2003, 11:23 AM
Not really. It talks about 'their extraordinary equipment', referring mainly to the armour, but the description and callouts for the guns would apply to most blaster weapons. I don't doubt they're top-of-the-line blaster rifles, though.

Tinsel
9 August 2003, 12:43 AM
Found my copy of the visual dictionary...says that the DC-15 rifle (not the blaster which is smaller) holds up to 500 shots of Tibanna gas in a replaceable cartidge. Um wow thats a lot of ammo.. Thoughts on this from anyone?

Darth_Cassed
9 August 2003, 08:04 PM
Perhaps the Tibana Gas in these rifles is spun, whereas it is normally not. I have no idea, it's just speculation. Anyone have a definite answer....or a clarification on the text?

Errin Orwain
25 August 2003, 06:19 PM
Nice weapon Jim. I might have to keep it in mind for a game or two.

BrianDavion
25 August 2003, 09:56 PM
I agree. I've long been a proponent of the belief that when the Empire rose to power, it created the Star Wars equivalent of the Dark Ages.

you've got a wee bit of a mistake here Nova...

the reason we're seeing more advanced tech in the prequals.. isn't more advanced tech (SW seems to be in a technological stasis). what we're seeing is newer tech, newer as in built more recently (sleek and sexy lines don't mean more advanced.) in the prequals we're seeing the CORE WORLDS. courscant etc. where in the original trilogy we pretty much saw only the outer rim, the only core world we ever saw was alderran, and that was from orbit (ok in ROTJ SE we saw courscant)

we're essentially seeing used star ships etc. the tech is fine, but it just LOOKS older.

steelfox
25 August 2003, 11:27 PM
One thing that is often missed in movies, games and pretty much any fictional situation involving weapons and wepons systems is that weapons reflect both the technological and tactical thinking of the time.
In this case the Clone Trooper 'rifles' are big, powerful and according to the Visual Dictionary, have a very long range for a personel weapon.
This is [broadly] similar to the soldiers of World War 1 who carried long, heavy , large calibre rifles that thad a low rate of fire but long effective range.
We are told in Ep2 that there has not been a "full scale" war since the creation of The Republic. [local disputes notwithstanding ].
This might mean that tactical and strategic planners have not had 'real life ' experience to test their theorys or equipment until the Battle of Geonosis and whatever occurs in the remainder of The Clone Wars.
The Stormtroopers in Ep4 onwards presumably reflect the lessons learned during the Wars. The E11 Trooper Rifle could be compared to a modern assault rifle;ie: light, compact with a shorter effective range but a higher rate of fire. An E11 would be much more "handy" in confined spaces like Starship interiors and corridors.
Stormtrooper squads are also seen to carry larger weapons which are apparently light auto-blasters of some type which may replace the ranged fire of the Clone rifles.
And no guys, you don't need to be a qualified "sniper/machine gunner dude" to use weapons believably in your games. Just read a bit of real history and "think outside the docking bay";)
Da Fox:)