PDA

View Full Version : Who are these people?

dgswensen
6 August 2003, 08:31 AM
So as some of you may or may not be aware, I run a Star Wars Random Name Generator (http://www.dimfuture.net/starwars/random/) as a service to the Star Wars roleplaying community. The name generator exists to help people come up with names for their Star Wars RPG sessions quickly and easily. To help the database grow faster, it is semi-open; people can submit names to a queue, which I then go through and approve or reject. If a name is approved, it goes into the names database where the public can actually see it. If rejected, it is deleted and never sees the light of day again.

Now, as we all know, the second you try to do anything positive on the Internet, a horde of clowns with low self-esteem will rise up in droves to try to ruin it in a vain attempt to make themselves feel better about their miserable lives. Unable to create anything of their own, they live only for the attention they garner from trying to annoy others. I realize I may be giving these pitiful souls the attention they so obviously crave with this little editorial, but my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

I got up this morning to find about thirty or forty kindergarten-level "joke" names in the submissions database. Not a funny one among them -- it looks like whomever put all that time and effort into it was about eleven years old or so. I won't repeat any of them here, but we'll just say they were all of the poo-poo and pee-pee level of wit and humor. I glanced over them briefly and deleted them all with a single click. I don't know how long they must have spent putting that crap in there -- I wonder if they still would have done so if they'd known it would be erased from existence in under a second.

And that's what really gets me. I've made it abundantly clear on the web site that people's submissions do not go straight into the names database, and that I will nuke out of hand any submission that I personally don't care for. It's not like <I>anyone</I> is going to ever see the end product of their futile attempt to be funny or annoying. Hell, I barely read them myself before flushing them down the metaphorical toilet. I don't know if it's a legion of particularly slow children who don't know how to read the FAQ right in front of them, or one extremely persistent lonely guy who keeps trying, night after night, hoping he can gain an ounce of fame or personal satisfaction by being a moron. I wonder if these people stay up late at night, refreshing the random name generator over and over again, looking for the end product of their long hours of labor.

And yet -- every few days, the same thing keeps happening. Thirty or forty unfunny names. And every time I delete them with the flick of one finger. I've already spent far longer writing these paragraphs than I've ever spent undoing all their work.

I really just wonder who they are, and what they hope to accomplish. Are they insane? Retarded? Drunk? Stoned? Little kids? the last would make the most sense, but somehow I doubt it. These people are probably physical adults, which is pretty sad, but what can you do? What on earth are they going for? Their junk never sees the light of day. I don't think they're funny. I'm certainly not personally insulted. Destroying their work takes too little effort on my part for me to get irritated about it. So what is it precisely that they think they're doing?

It just makes me wonder is all. If anyone has any insight, please, feel free to share.

But hey -- fortunately their actions have no real effect on the Star Wars Random Name Generator (http://www.dimfuture.net/starwars/random/) itself, so feel free to stop by (plug over).

Jim Williams
6 August 2003, 08:42 AM
Well, at least your witmakes reading the rant enjoyable!

Hang in there.

Master Dao Rin
6 August 2003, 11:58 AM
The question is: Do you care enough to find out?

:D

dgswensen
6 August 2003, 12:06 PM
Good point. Not really.

Nafai
6 August 2003, 12:11 PM
I'm sorry, Dano, I'll cease and desist at once. ;)

dgswensen
6 August 2003, 12:14 PM
LOL!

You're banned!!!! 8o

Nafai
6 August 2003, 12:17 PM
D'oh! Curse my big mouth!

Hehe, you and I both know that if it were me it would be hella wittier than whatever you've been forced to Baleet. ;)

That said, why not capture their IP addy. I can help you track it back to the source if it would amuse.

dgswensen
6 August 2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Nafai
That said, why not capture their IP addy. I can help you track it back to the source if it would amuse.

If it persists, I might take you up on that, thanks. RIght now, it's not a bother. But it's like finding a little piece of dog doo on your porch every day... sooner or later I'm going to get tired of it and want to shoot that dog.

Chris Curtis
6 August 2003, 12:46 PM
Ooh, fun!

"We're hunting IPs! Be wery wery quiet."

Vanger Chevane
6 August 2003, 02:49 PM
a working filter installed on the Gene Pool?

Please?!?

In the old days, people who were too stupid to survive didn't. With modern technology & politics this is no longer the case.

Can't we find some decent way to let these ppl subtract themselves from propagating such idiocy?

bagman19
6 August 2003, 03:40 PM
My mom suggested something along these lines, you must pass an IQ test in order to get a child license, which grants you the right to bear children.

My mom is not a politician, of course. Now there would be an interesting campaign!!!

Sirch Akoras
6 August 2003, 04:10 PM
A lot of people agree to that, actually. I propose necessary yearly driving tests once you're the age of 65 or older to make sure you still deserve it.

Sasche
6 August 2003, 04:27 PM
You need a license to drive. You need a license to fish.

But to propogate... Any half wit with functioning gonads is allowed to do it as much as they wish...

Yeah, I'm not a politician. But, I am running for the position of King of the World.
If called to fill the roll, I will serve.:D

Master Dao Rin
7 August 2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Sasche
But to propogate... Any half wit with functioning gonads is allowed to do it as much as they wish...

Man, I wish that were true! I sure can wish a lot, but reality is a hard life.

Marusame
7 August 2003, 02:05 PM
I prefer the idea I read that said that we should just remove the warning labels from things and let nature run its course.

Remus Lightforce
7 August 2003, 02:40 PM
*imagines a world with no warning labels*

That would be awesome!

*thinks of how many stupid people would die messing with dangerous equipment, grasping electric fences in front of power plants, popping pills they don't bother to check...*

That would sure purify the gene pool a bit. Have to find some way to keep the kids out of harm's way until they're 12ish or so, though. Other than that it's a solid idea! =p.

wolverine
7 August 2003, 06:25 PM
While this might raise a little 'ire' i think the rest of the world, ESPECIALLY ALL OF AFRICA, should take on that law from china about only 1 kid per family PERIOD! The reason i say africa should definatly get this, is hopefully it will put a hold on all the famine crying we constantly hear about.

People over there are supposedly starving, but they are healthy enought to boink and drop out kids like it was nothing. That plus it is majorlly stupid, that if you don't have enought food to feed yourself and what family you already have, why the hell make more kids???

Nova Spice
7 August 2003, 06:43 PM
To a certain extent, I can see where you're coming from wolverine. Although I think China's policies are horrible (not surprising considering their form of government) pertaining to procreation. If a couple gets pregnant again, they kill the child after it is born.

I'm not the person that waivers on issues as if I was sailing, changing my sails depending on the wind. If you're going to enforce such a law, you should at least give the child up for adoption to those that do not have children.

And personally I don't think controlling procreation is ever the right thing to do. Many of those you describe in Africa are uneducated. Does that mean that they do not love their children? Life is a gift. Who are we, as adults and as people, to judge which children are to be born and which lives are to be ended?

My neighbor once told me that: "The world is too populated. They need to enforce procreation laws here in the United States."

My response: "And which of your children would you have preferred not to have had?"

He's a father of three.

I understand that he can feed his children. And many in Africa can not. Creating procreation laws isn't going to halt the famine. Education, on the other hand, will. No matter how many Africans are forced to bare only one child, the famine will continue. The only solution is education and assistance. Not taking away life.

That's my two cents.

Back to the subject at hand, dg, I wouldn't worry too much about the losers submitting such names on the Random Name Generator. They'll eventually realize that their work is for nothing and move on. Let things run their course and I guarantee you, they'll quit.

dgswensen
7 August 2003, 06:45 PM
Interesting sentiment, wolverine. However, it's not always their choice. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/1909220.stm)

And yes, Nova, you're quite right on both counts.

wolverine
8 August 2003, 06:19 AM
That link was for rape in South Africa. Last time i checked, it was not one of the countries in a famine.. But i will admit that several of those countries which ARE suffering from famine do have problems with rape

AzmoDanakar
8 August 2003, 10:43 AM
soemwhat back on topic.. Thanks for creating this dBase. it is truly great. I added the names of NPC's and PC's for your approval. Just wanted to say thanks for creating a useful tool for games. Too bad it is caused useless tools to come out of the woodwork and vex you.

Grimace
8 August 2003, 02:55 PM
Just a reminder to please stay on the topic at hand and not get sidetracked with long opinions about things that are unrelated to the name generator site.

There's a place for such discussions, and this thread is not that place.

Thank you.

dgswensen
8 August 2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by AzmoDanakar
soemwhat back on topic.. Thanks for creating this dBase. it is truly great. I added the names of NPC's and PC's for your approval. Just wanted to say thanks for creating a useful tool for games. Too bad it is caused useless tools to come out of the woodwork and vex you.

If you're the one who submitted some new (legitimate) names in the past couple of days, I approved your stuff and put it in the database. Thanks for the contribution.

Vash Knives
16 December 2003, 03:17 AM
At this moment we are working on cleaning the gene pool-the results can be found here (http://www.darwinawards.com).