PDA

View Full Version : Vong Immunity to the Force (spoilers likely)

Corwin
8 August 2003, 09:55 PM
Since I just started reading/caring about the NJO, I’m not sure if this idea is already out there, but I had an interesting thought about why/how the Vong are immune to the Force.

Warring: for those of you out there who don’t like the idea of midi-chlorians I don’t know what to say to you other then stop reading now; midi-chlorians are cannon and I don’t want to read through posts about how ‘they go against the spirit of the Force’. For those of you willing to put preconceptions aside and see things from a different point of view read on :)

Gorge Lucas is one the record as saying "Midi-chlorians are a loose depiction of mitochondria, which are necessary components for cells to divide. They probably had something--which will come out someday--to do with the beginnings of life and how one cell decided to become two cells with a little help from this other little creature who came in, without whom life couldn't exist.”

Mitochondria are interesting in that they contain their own DNA. While there is some debate over this point, one current theory suggests that at one time Mitochondria where a separate life-form that formed a symbiotic relationship with the cells that eventually evolved in to life as we know it.

Keeping in mind the relationship between Mitochondria and Midi-chlorians it would seem Midi-chlorians are similar in this regard. Qui-Gon refers to them as “symbionts” present in all living things. While it is arguable if they actually generate the Force, they differently act as transmitters for it. Like Mitochondria, Midi-chlorians are part of all known life.

But then what of from some where else? What if Midi-chlorians are not present in every galaxy? Would the Yuzzhan Vong even have them? What would the practical effect be of not having any Midi-chlorians? From what we know of them if would seem that some one with out Midi-chlorians would essentially be dead to the force. Since the Jedi relay on Midi-chlorians to sense and alter the force around them and in others some one with out sybionts would be immune to any force powers; they would not register in the Force to some one sensitive to it and they would not be able to use it themselves.

All this is consistent with what we know about the YV. They are described as existing “Outside” the Force, exactly as it would be reasonably assumed some one with out Midi-chlorians would seem to a Force-sensitive.

As I say I don’t know if this has been discussed before (for all I know the reason for the YV force immunity may already have been explained), but based on what we know of Midi-chlorians and of the Force it all seems to fit.

For more information on Midi-chlorians there's a rather good, if not long, essay about them at http://www.theforce.net/midichlorians/

Darthspectre84
9 August 2003, 04:31 AM
Well that is one theory....as you said it possible that the YV evolved with Midi-chlorians as symbionts. Perhaps a different catalyst.

But i wont spoilt stuff in the books for you but the books go more for the "spiritual side" :). So i doubt that we might see this type of solution applied to the books.