PDA

View Full Version : Polyhedron/ Star Wars 'inserts'

Warlock-Da
16 August 2003, 02:45 AM
OK I've got to ask,....wtf is with the two freaking pages of Star Wars material in Polyhedron?!? My understanding was since they canned Gamer, they were going to start adding a Star Wars RPG article per issue. Now that at first with the article on the Jensuari this was fairly good,...then a few issues with nada,....now a "Starships of the Galaxy" section,....no wait....it can't be called a section....nor article....hell it's barely an insert. Last night when I skimmed oer the new issue,...I swear I felt like a stepchild that's merely being "appeased" with a cookie.

"Here's a two page insert,... go on your way and be happy we thought that much about you"

*sigh*

Darth_Cassed
17 August 2003, 10:16 PM
Yes, thank Yoda for the information we gamers put out OURSELVES. I always thought we did a better job than those corporate people. Most of the stuff we do is as good or better than what they can do! At least we have the Online Journal.....

sanseveria
27 August 2003, 07:42 AM
You guys are absolutely right. It has been a great disappointement. I'm not renewing my subscription. There much better places to get the info I want or need.

SS.

Korpil
27 August 2003, 08:01 AM
I'm with you all 100%...

For me it was money wasted on the subscription, I'll continue buying the magazines but only when I find they have Star Wars articles...

The Ghost
27 August 2003, 08:03 AM
Issue 103 has the sweetest bit!

YT-1300's. inside deckplans for the transport, passenger, & Milennium Falcon.

plus history & a good deal of stuff with stats. it's muy nice.

of course, if you're just looking for SW stuff, yeah don't bother with a subscription.

i buy it for the D&D parts too, so i'm hapy to subscribe to Dungeon & Dragon/Poly.

Korpil
27 August 2003, 08:19 AM
Darn... all my magazines delay anything from 15 days to a month to be delivered... I haven't received that issue yet...

Reverend Strone
27 August 2003, 05:32 PM
I only bought mine off the news stands for the SW content, but was pleasantly surprised by how much other material for D&D and D20 Modern in there I was able to use as well- adventure ideas, maps, images, rules etc.

Yeah, I wish there was more SW, but the other stuff ain't a total waste either.

Oh, SW Gamer how we miss thee...

Tossk
27 August 2003, 05:51 PM
I think the only reason I have my subscription and renew it when the time comes 'round, is because i'm into D&D as well as d20 Modern, starting friday. (home campaign, vampires!):D If it weren't for these games, i'd have dropped it like a dead groundhog.

Jim Williams
27 August 2003, 06:39 PM
Methinks the chances of getting my article idea published has lessened since that is how small the SW content is.

Nazgul
28 August 2003, 10:33 AM
Don't worry about it Jim, if they don't like it you can always publish it on the boards. Just hopefully it doesn't stir up trouble like mine do.

Tossk
28 August 2003, 01:06 PM
I just saw 11 pages on the Mellenium Falcon and family. So much for dinky inserts! :D

Mapmaker
30 August 2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by The Ghost
Issue 103 has the sweetest bit!

YT-1300's. inside deckplans for the transport, passenger, & Milennium Falcon.

plus history & a good deal of stuff with stats. it's muy nice.
I'm glad you like it! I've been waiting anxiously for it to come out to see how my fellow SW fans react to it.

By the way: I know that the editor would love to see more quality Star Wars submissions from the people who know the setting inside and out (such as the folks who congregate here, for example), so I hope no one lets the slow buildup of Star Wars content dissuade them. If you've got a cool article idea, send it to polyhedron@paizopublishing.com and see if they'd like to publish it. The more cool submissions they get, the more Star Wars features we're all likely to see in the magazine.

I think it's also safe to say that you'll be seeing more content in the future based on stuff from the films. Lucasfilm approved the Falcon maps and article so smoothly and completely that Erik wants to see what other ships and locations we can explore through the magazine. I presume that extends to other kinds of Star Wars articles as well, so if you've got an idea that expands on something in the movies, don't be afraid to send it in.

Darth_Cassed
30 August 2003, 05:54 PM
That's some great news Mapmaker, I'm sure some of us will take you up on that. I will also encourage people to submit to the Online Journal, we survive by submissions.

Rouge8
30 August 2003, 06:37 PM
Are there any stats in the article?
And if so, what are they for?

Mapmaker
31 August 2003, 09:04 AM
There are stats (and deck plans) for the Falcon and two different stock YT-1300 configurations: the YT-1300p (passenger) and YT-1300f (freight). The stats are right from the revised core rulebook, though, with only slight variations in the cargo and passenger notations of the stock versions.

It's also worth noting that a listing of "Attack Bonus +XX..." somehow slipped into the Falcon's concussion missile stat line (where it shouldn't be, since it's a missile) and some << ts >> notations are still present where a times sign is supposed to be. Oops!

There's also a sentence in the text that mentions 6 missiles instead of 8, but that number is correct elsewhere.

The stats are still useable, of course...just ignore the "XX" part and remember that << ts >> is a times sign. Still, I hear Yoda in the back of my mind, chiding: "Lost an editing pass, Master Mapmaker has. How embarrassing...how em-barrassing!"

Reverend Strone
31 August 2003, 02:40 PM
Congrats Chris! I look forward to checking the article out, and may I say it was a pleasure and an honour to hang out at Gen Con!

Nice to know you're on the boards!

Daniel.

Warlock-Da
6 September 2003, 01:37 PM
Well I'll definatly check this one out. I truely hope the SW content expands a bit over time, I don't need to see stats all over the place, but since my group isn't playing D&D3 yet and the D20 Modern stuff isn't near what we're planning on running,..SW content is the sole reason I buy the magazine,...$6 for just couple pages just wasn't going to work.

Thanks for renewin my hopes ;)

Mapmaker
8 September 2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Reverend Strone
Congrats Chris! I look forward to checking the article out, and may I say it was a pleasure and an honour to hang out at Gen Con!
The pleasure was all mine, Daniel! I had a terrific time with you and all of the SWRPGnetwork and SWAG folks. You really made me feel like part of the gang!

By the way, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the article when it arrives! Let me know what you think.

Originally posted by Reverend Strone Nice to know you're on the boards!
Nice to be here. I had some technical glitches at first, but Moridin got things straightened out for me. :)

Reverend Strone
8 September 2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Mapmaker
Nice to be here. I had some technical glitches at first, but Moridin got things straightened out for me. :)

He's good like that. :)

FULONGAMER
12 September 2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Mapmaker

By the way, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the article when it arrives! Let me know what you think.

Welcome and salutations from the Holonet denizens at large Mapmaker.

If you haven't caught the commentary on the D20 Forum, my issues (good and bad) with the Falcon / YT-1300 piece can be found by following the link here:
Poly 162 / Dungeon 103 Feedback (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?postid=159217#post159217)

(I apologize in advance if I come across as too militant, I hope to be constructive. I was just hoping that many of these issues had been thoroughly resolved years ago)

Mapmaker
13 September 2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by FULONGAMER
(I apologize in advance if I come across as too militant, I hope to be constructive. I was just hoping that many of these issues had been thoroughly resolved years ago)
Not too militant...just empassioned. I respect that. :)

Thanks for the welcome!

P.S. My responses to FULONGAMER's feedback can now be found in that other thread, for those interested.

Korpil
14 September 2003, 09:56 AM
I was about to rant that issue 102 had just a star wars ship in it... but hey.. the YT-1300 article is on 103, right?

Silly me...:o

Dark72Jedi
14 September 2003, 05:46 PM
I liked the article alot, though as everyone else stated, it was not enough. Hopefully we'll see the same treatment for the Radiant and/or Slave I **HINT***HINT***

Mapmaker
14 September 2003, 09:43 PM
I've been wanting to do a map of the Radiant VII for a long time, actually. :) I won't make any guarantees, but you may just get your wish...

And yep, the YT-1300 is in #103. #102 had the Vanguard-class Heavy Assault Gunship.

For the record, most Starships of the Galaxy articles will probably be two-pagers and show up on alternating months. (Unless the editor gets a lot of positive feedback to the Falcon article and asks for more like it.)

Korpil
17 September 2003, 10:39 AM
Haven't read the article yet, but where can we write to the editor?

Jake Sunspot
17 September 2003, 12:48 PM
Thats a good question, where can we write to the editor.

Chris if you want ;) the editor to get a lot of positive feedback, we can certainly make that happen. I personally would love to see alot more Star Wars content in polyhedron

Faraer
20 September 2003, 08:32 AM
I'd like to see the Republic cruiser covered too. That ship was designed to subtly illustrate the declining Republic and the emergence of angular, mass-produced design. I'd also like to see an example of the Republic ships that preceded it; that could be a nice bit of world-building -- what kind of ship of that size would encapsulate the Republic's ideals -- and be useful for a wide range of campaigns.

Also movie-based and map-oriented, how about a big article on the Jedi Temple? A plane cross-section and a few key levels including the grand corridor, showing how the locations seen in Episodes I-III and the novels (especially Jedi Apprentice/Jedi Quest, and some references in HoloNet News) connect. Would you like to work on that, Christopher?