PDA

View Full Version : "Alternate" post ROTJ histories

steelfox
16 August 2003, 04:28 AM
Hi guys.
I am new to these Forums but have been playing/Gamemastering SW for some time.
Open question:
Has/is anyone running games that don't follow the 'New Jedi Order' novel timeline?
Reason I ask is that I don't particularly like the story arc that has been created [before you draw Lightsabres I am not looking for an argument!
I simply don't like the direction the current writers have taken.]
Timothy Zahns last couple of novels left some good "hooks" for gaming and storytelling.Has anyone gone with them or created their own "history"?
I look forward to your responses,
Da Fox.
:)

Wedge in Red2
16 August 2003, 08:34 AM
Hi Steelfox,

Um, I ran (back in the day when D6 was the only system, back before the EU novels began) a game which took the twist that the Empire had actually won the battle of Endor. I won't go into too much detail, I was pretty young and the campaign wasn't that good (unless people really want to know :)). In fact, I think it might have been my first foray into GM'ing.

Also, a friend of mine Luke (Hal on here, but he doesn't get on much) was talking about an alternative future game where Luke turns to the darkside at the end of RotJ. I can't remember much in the way of detail. I don't think it ever happened, though...

Jon

Dashdar
16 August 2003, 01:26 PM
Why yes I am.

I am not a big fan of the NJO my self, though I have recently been talked into reading more of them by Nova.

I posted my time line a while back but I'll do some searching and post it for you here. Feel free to pm me for any more story info if you like it.

Edit: Here (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13272&highlight=Alternate+Future) is a link to the thread. My timeline picks up right where the NJO books do, 25 years after ANH. Enjoy. :D

Sirch Akoras
16 August 2003, 01:51 PM
I'm going to sometime around the beginning of September.

Oddly enough, the campaign plan follows the NJO concept but not actual storyline, and I haven't even touched a book from the series.

My campaign has the Jedi, New Republic, and Imperial Remnant allied together against a faction that'd been building since the Rise of the Empire era. Or, the foundation for it had.

The people who started the faction, people led by combat and greed, decided they'd amass fleets of ships and sell their services to the highest bidder. Unfortunately, in the time of war, there was only one with ebnough money to bid, and he relied on the force too heavily to think he needed anything more. Thus, they became a large, very successful but also secretive pirate band, amassing huge amounts of credits. Their latest leader (who came to power around the RotJ time) has decided to spend those credits and more from auctioning off their ships. This pirate band has such, with all of their credits, developed their own ships and technology, including cloaking. Now with their re-emergence of their own extremely powerful ships and cloaking technology, and plans for galactic domination (of course) they are seen as a big enough threat to have the three other powers decide to join up against it.

You can see one of their ships artistically rendered on SWAG as the Merc Torpedoplatform or something like that. I suppose Bob just forgot the actual name, the MERC Proton Destroyer.

BrianDavion
16 August 2003, 02:14 PM
I once had a game set around the time of ANH but with a VASTLY diffrent galaxy. the republic didn't become the empire, the republic just broke apart. thus you have the jedi peacekeepers (the jedi and a volentteer army of non-force users) trying in vain to keep a modicum of peace. of course the sith.. are still out there

Faraer
16 August 2003, 09:25 PM
It seems to me that these things implicitly follow Star Wars Episode VI: the Sith are destroyed; evil in the universe is vanquished; the galaxy becomes benevolent again
the Empire is destroyed
the Republic is reformed
the Jedi Order is reformed (without the illogical loss of knowledge there is in the EU)
Leia becomes a great Jedi
Leia marries Han Solo
Although the last three can't coexist. It's a peculiar puzzle.

The redemption of Anakin Skywalker and the end of the Sith and the Empire is a eucatastrophe, as discussed by Tolkien in "On Fairy-Stories". As a culture, we don't know what happens after this archetypal event. It certainly isn't an endless barrage of different or repeated threats.

Sirch Akoras
16 August 2003, 10:19 PM
the Sith are destroyed; evil in the universe is vanquished; the galaxy becomes benevolent again

Sure, the Sith are destroyed, but there's still evil in the galaxy.

And besides, can't a force adept TURN Sith?

the Empire is destroyed

Not true- it's just thrown into disarray.

As for everything else, you're right.

Note: This was not meant to flame you or anything, just meant as my opinion on things.

Darthspectre84
17 August 2003, 06:09 AM
Sith is different then Dark Jedi, cause if i am not mistaken after Darth Vaders death all the people who went to the darkside are called Dark Jedi. They use the teachings of the jedi but in reverse. Sith is different. Sith is the full power of the darkside, through the ancient teachings of the Sith Empire. Only sith holocrons or a spirit or living Sith can train more. Otherwise the rest are Dark Jedi. Sorry i know i am abit off topic but i thought i should mention that.

BrianDavion
17 August 2003, 10:32 AM
Sith is the full power of the darkside, through the ancient teachings of the Sith Empire

ugh I really REALLY hate the way tales of the jedi messed up the sith.
the Sith simply are a distinct sect of dark jedi (it's like catholics and christans to give a modren day example. all catholics are christans, but not all christans are catholics).

now, not every dark jedi is a sith by any means BUT, the sith are simply a distinct tradtion of dark jedi. they don't have this evil sourcery. thats bunk tales of the jedi came up with and I find it the singular most irritating thing of the EU. the tales of the jedi comics IMHO loose a lot of what it IS to be star wars

anyway sorry about the rant. I just scream in annoyance when I heard the term "evil dark side sourcery" not just from the lips of bubba the dirt farmer but an educated jedi knight.

Darthspectre84
17 August 2003, 10:44 AM
Thats why those ancient sith are dead :) still i like the distinction that Sith are different from Dark jedi.

steelfox
24 August 2003, 01:10 AM
Apoligies for not replying sooner ladies, gents and non gender specific beings.
I loke the ideas you have out forward and it is nice to see that gamers don't feel the need to slavishly follow the commercially produced "script".
Ta'
Da Fox

:)

Ardent
24 August 2003, 04:53 AM
The Sith are a distinct and separate Force tradition from the Jedi Order. Not simply because they are evil, but because they have expended their time and energy in practice of the Force and broken ground on new skills and feats.

Dark Jedi are, given no outside influences, just Jedi who prefer to use the Force for their own gain and eventually succumb to the evil within themselves. Their Force tradition is still very much the Jedi Force tradition.

It's like the Jensaarai. They're a splinter of the Jedi Order (much like the Sith) who borrowed teachings and created a whole new Force tradition with it.

Lines of demarkation between Force traditions are important definitions in the picture that is Star Wars. If you start rubbing the lines out, the picture begins to lose clarity and not much of the artists' original intent is conveyed.

As far as post-RotJ stuff, Faraer was on the right tack. But where your story breaks from the canon storyline can make huge differences in how your post-RotJ stuff turns out.

- If Han is still alive, he will marry Leia
- If Leia can forgive her father, she will become a Jedi
- Given time, the Jedi Order will be recovered with much of its knowledge and tradition (the NJO was a bit shy on that, Ikrit's presence should have enlightened the NJO to quite a few things they still don't seem to be aware of)
- The offspring of the trilogy's heroes will become heroes in their own right
- The Remnant and the New Republic will be locked in a power struggle as long as the NR remains anti-military buildup and the Remnant retains the resources to maintain their fleet.
- Imperial Grand Admirals will remain at large (it's garbage to think that Thrawn was the only Grand Admiral to escape capture or defeat by the Rebel Alliance for more than a few years following the Battle of Endor -- I'd throw that out)
- Imperial Warlords will arise, although some will throw in their lot with the Imperial Remnant, most will try to carve out their own Empire

Essentially, you have chaos. Which contrary to Tolkien's opinion, is the absolute aftereffect of the eucatastrophe. The superweapon-of-the-week syndrome makes it seem childish and played, but the chaos theory is certainly there.

steelfox
24 August 2003, 05:11 PM
Essentially, you have chaos. Which contrary to Tolkien's opinion, is the absolute aftereffect of the eucatastrophe. The superweapon-of-the-week syndrome makes it seem childish and played, but the chaos theory is certainly there.

I agree with that Master Ardent.
Real world history has shown that when a regime of any sort collapses then there is a period of upheaval as a new Balance is reached.
Watching the News from around the world is a good[?] way of getting story ideas.
And yes, the "Uber Weapon of the week" gets really tedious.
Da Fox.