PDA

View Full Version : Lightsaber Forms of Luke's Academy

Jeskan
17 August 2003, 04:38 AM
In a cupple days, I'm starting my first NJO campaign. My character is a Jedi and I want to know what lightsaber forms they had at the academy if they mentioned them and whether I would be able to get a Lightsaber form mastery feat.

Rogue Janson
17 August 2003, 05:21 AM
There are no sources that mention different lightsabre styles being taught at the Academy - unsurprising since the forms are a pretty recent invention.

It'd be up to you really. I can't think of any NJO era Jedi described as having particularly distinctive lightsabre styles that would indicate they are using a particular form and the knowledge could have been totally lost in the purge. Master Ikrit presumably knew some though, so I'd imagine Luke's gone some way to attempting to reconstruct the forms even if they're not regularly taught.
You could even have a character reconstruct or rediscover a form themselves if they develop a particularly special style of combat.

Tramp
17 August 2003, 04:46 PM
The Jedi Academy does have several texts salvaged from the Chu'unthor, and other sites, including Ossus, as well as at least one holocron. There's also the information that Luke stole from the Emperor's personal archives (Palpatine did keep an extensive record of both Jedi and Sith lore.) So the chances are that information on the various forms is available.

Nova Spice
17 August 2003, 07:07 PM
Well, in my NJO campaign, Lo'Ploon (prior to his death), was one of only a few Jedi to wield two lightsabers at once. This really bothered Luke, considering his stance about aggression and all.

The only Jedi who had learned to be proficient prior to Lo was Kam Solusar, a well-trained and respected Jedi Master. Had Lo not of died, I imagine he would have taken Form IV.

Kuag, another PC of mine, who went into temprorary retirement until Episode VII: Dark Journey, wielded a yellow lightsaber and was very conservative in its usage. He probably would have been or rather, might still be a fine candidate for Form III or Form VI.

I definitely believe that, while the authors do not specifically state what forms each Jedi uses (for obvious reasons as Janson mentioned), they do have their own styles.

And you never know what new styles might emerge. It is the New Jedi Order. ;)

Arkadin
18 August 2003, 06:02 AM
In my New Republic/NJO campaign, my Jedi PC aspires to become a Jedi Weapon Master, the first since the Old Republic. He's also trying to re-discover Form VII. I figured that the other forms (1-6) were probably available, although very few Jedi at this point would have attained mastery in any of them.
Although, I ruled that the forms were available and most Jedi knew of them, I really didn't have any basis for believing so other than "GM's Prerogative". Thanks for reminding me that, between those reader tapes from the Chu'unthor, the knowledge of Kam Solusar, (oh, and I believe the New Republic or the Jedi actually launched an archeological expedition to Ossus too), Luke's Jedi Academy must have, by now, a pretty solid curriculuum.

Krad-edis
18 August 2003, 10:51 AM
Here is what I would do. Let the character's own personal philosophy and fighting style dictate what Feat they will be using in the future. I would not worry about them having to be taught anything for the main purpose of allowing the characters to rediscover a particular way of fighting through their own experience and input. They in time will come into mastery of their own style, and then you can decide what feat closest represents how they do things. If they meet the prerequisites, then they can qualify for mastery.

Errin Orwain
30 August 2003, 04:04 PM
There is a two lightsaber style is called Niman in the HG Web Enhancement 3 [might be what Kam uses]. The Jensaarai [from the book "I, Jedi"] most commonly use Shien style [also in the HG Web Enhancement 3] and would be availible to NJO Jedi due to contact between Lukes' Jedi Acadamy and the Jensaarai Order. Between that and the Holocron; data tapes from the Chu'unthor; and Master Irkits' knowledge I would think that pretty much any Form Mastery could be used in the NJO.

Ardent
30 August 2003, 07:48 PM
Just a quick correction, I think Kam is a Form IV user. He certainly doesn't wield a lightsaber much at all, let alone does he use two at the same time.

He is, undoubtedly, the first Jedi Weapon Master of the New Jedi Order, however. Seeing as he was already a fully trained Jedi Knight when Luke stumbled onto him.

Arkadin
4 September 2003, 08:18 AM
I'm no expert on Master Solusar, but I wouldn't call him the first of the new weapon masters. The first thing to consider is that while he was fully trained Jedi Knight by the time Luke found him, that doesn't make him a weapon master. Thousands and perhaps millions of Jedi Knights and Masters have lived, fought and died, having never become weapons masters and having never taken a lightsaber mastery feat. The word "master" itself implies a certain rarity. In the sourcebooks, they talk about how, form VI became far more popular because of the relative peace of the Old Republic. Also, it's mentioned that weapon masters are very rare, especially in the Old Republic for exactly that reason. (Masters Windu and Bondara being the only ones I can think of right now.) And let's not forget, there are plenty of Jedi who were never JWMs who kicked plenty of butt over the years. Just take a look-see at The Dark Woman.
I dunno, since Cilghal is the first Jedi Healer in Skywalker's academy, I'm inclined to believe that it's one of his later students that will become the first JWM. (Like my PC!) :P

Tramp
4 September 2003, 08:22 AM
Or mine.:D

Ardent
4 September 2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Arkadin
I'm no expert on Master Solusar, but I wouldn't call him the first of the new weapon masters. The first thing to consider is that while he was fully trained Jedi Knight by the time Luke found him, that doesn't make him a weapon master.

What made Kam Solusar a weapon master, in my humble opinion, was his superior grasp of the intricacies of lightsaber combat. He knew things that even Luke Skywalker didn't, and that's not simply because he was a legitimately fully-trained Jedi Knight. It's because his focus was on the finer art of lightsabers and lightsaber combat...at his father's insistance. His father could tell that in order to survive the coming Purge, Kam would have to be a superior combatant. So, Kam was. Keep in mind, however, that it runs contrary to his nature as a gentle and understanding person. Similar to the attributes displayed by Master Windu and Master Bondara.

Thousands and perhaps millions of Jedi Knights and Masters have lived, fought and died, having never become weapons masters and having never taken a lightsaber mastery feat. The word "master" itself implies a certain rarity. In the sourcebooks, they talk about how, form VI became far more popular because of the relative peace of the Old Republic.

From what little we know, Form VI was the most prevalent at the time of the Jedi Purge, but Kam's father was a highly esteemed Jedi instructor. The chances that Form I, II, III and IV were outside of his grasp and/or curriculum is pretty preposterous, since most Jedi are at least taught the basics.

Also, it's mentioned that weapon masters are very rare, especially in the Old Republic for exactly that reason. (Masters Windu and Bondara being the only ones I can think of right now.) And let's not forget, there are plenty of Jedi who were never JWMs who kicked plenty of butt over the years.

Nobody's denying that, but you're almost always talking about straight-up Jedi Guardians. Qui-Gon was noted for his prowess with a lightsaber (and only had a few levels of Jedi Master). Ki-Adi Mundi is another fair example.

I dunno, since Cilghal is the first Jedi Healer in Skywalker's academy, I'm inclined to believe that it's one of his later students that will become the first JWM. (Like my PC!) :P

I happen to feel each of the students at the Academy represents a different direction in Jedi ideology. Tionne is the first Jedi Scholar, Cilghal the first Jedi Healer, Kam the first Jedi Weapon Master, Kyp the first Jedi Ace. Gantoris was a fair example of a Jedi guardian, replaced by Kirana Ti, while Streen becomes the quintessential Jedi consular. Corran is a good example of a Jedi Investigator, while Brakiss would probably have been a Jedi Instructor.

Each has his or her place in the New Jedi Order, and each essentially rediscovers and redefines the traditional Jedi roles. Of course, I've spent perhaps too much time examining the Jedi Academy.

Wedge in Red2
5 September 2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Ardent

I happen to feel each of the students at the Academy represents a different direction in Jedi ideology. Tionne is the first Jedi Scholar, Cilghal the first Jedi Healer, Kam the first Jedi Weapon Master, Kyp the first Jedi Ace. Gantoris was a fair example of a Jedi guardian, replaced by Kirana Ti, while Streen becomes the quintessential Jedi consular. Corran is a good example of a Jedi Investigator, while Brakiss would probably have been a Jedi Instructor.

And I happen to feel otherwise. It seems just a little too convenient to have "1 of each". KJA made up most those characters well before the Jedi prestige classes were created. It's possible that the creators of the Prestige Classes decided to make one that fitted each of the characters, but I doubt they took that into consideration. Then again, I could be wrong :).

That said, I agree on the categorisation of Cilghal as a Jedi Healer, Tionne as a Jedi Scholar, and Kyp as a Jedi Ace.

I would have said Anakin would have been the first Weapon Master of the NJO era (had he survived, and depending on what level he got to). In many of the novels he was portrayed as constantly training with his Lightsaber - against Vong-esque droids, against Jacen, all the time.

Blah. Excuse my random ramblings, somewhat tired, it's been a loooong week.

Jon

Arkadin
5 September 2003, 09:28 AM
Thanks, Ardent and Wedge for bringing up vaild points I had missed. You know I wonder if the people who created the prestige classes, modelled them after Luke's first alumni. Think I'll re-read all my Kam Solusar appearances.
However, to keep the thread on track...
It is an interesting thought to have new styles emerge from the academy. Hmmm...*taking notes*...yes, indeed...very interesting....

So what style(s) do you think Kam has studied? Anyone? Form one makes sense, though I would think two would be best, especially on the assumption that Vader or an Inquisitor would be sent after him. Maybe, form four as well? *LOL* see? now I'm all pumped up to go home and see which style he might qualify for...

*mumbling* Stupid job always getting in the way of my fun...

BrianDavion
5 September 2003, 09:52 AM
remember all the jedi have studied ALL styles, the feats reflect MASTERY with a single style. odds are Kam has studied Forms I-VI (VII is a hard style to master so odds are he would have lernt the basics at best).
Kam in his period as a flunky of Palpatine's proably also studied a few sith sabre styles.

Ardent
5 September 2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Arkadin
So what style(s) do you think Kam has studied? Anyone? Form one makes sense, though I would think two would be best, especially on the assumption that Vader or an Inquisitor would be sent after him. Maybe, form four as well? *LOL* see? now I'm all pumped up to go home and see which style he might qualify for...

Kam Solusar has probably covered the basics of Forms I through VI. I'm pretty certain that he's a Form IV practitioner, although I'd hesitate to give him Form IV Mastery only because he abandoned his martial training to teach students at the Academy.

Of course, with the confusion over the lightsaber forms, it's difficult to say what form is actually what now. What seems obvious is Kam would almost certainly use a form that emphasized his great physical attributes. Although, it's possible that Kam also studied Form II extensively, in preparation for the Inquisition. Hard to say.

DevJannz
7 November 2003, 03:19 PM
As far as material to learn from, don't forget about the records that Corran's adopted grandfather Rostek had kept from Nejaa's stuff. I am sure their is lots of good stuff in there as well.

Errin Orwain
7 November 2003, 07:30 PM
as well as the data tapes from the Chu'nunthor and data from the archeaological dig at Ossus.