PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Favorite Lightsaber Duel

Errin Orwain
17 August 2003, 06:20 PM
What is your favorite lightsaber duel from the movies.

Errin Orwain
17 August 2003, 06:30 PM
I almost went with Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs Maul because Maul was a freakin machine taking both of them on like that, it was very impressive. But I have spent a lot of time watching the Yoda vs Dooku fight, full; half; and quarter speed, and it is amazing. Yoda whipped out moves that were incredible! You really have to watch that fight in slo-mo to really appreciate what is happening at full speed.

BrianDavion
17 August 2003, 07:03 PM
for me it's a tie between vader and luke's final duel, and the obi-wan and qui-gon vs maul fight.
the fight at the end of ATOC was really too short

Corwin
17 August 2003, 08:21 PM
The Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs Maul fight beats all. I donít think anything is ever going to top the thrill of watching that for the first time. Iím still amazed when I watch it.

Darth_Cassed
17 August 2003, 09:56 PM
Well, Maul killed a Jedi in that fateful battle......excellent......of course, he took my fun.

In any case, I have to agree with Corwin. It was such a fast moving, incredible duel. I can't believe they fought that fast!

I also like Anakin and Dooku, though....

fury
17 August 2003, 11:25 PM
I went with Luke and Vader - final round.

Yes, Maul put on quite the martial arts show and that is a damn impressive piece of work.

But come on, both Qui Gon and Obi-wan kept it together, even there at the end you knew Kenobi was gonna pull it back together once he dealt with Maul.

But Vader constantly taunting Luke, along with the Emperor laying down the way things were going to be. "Your fleet has lost. And your friends on the Endor moon will not survive. There is no escape, my young apprentice. The Alliance will die...as will your friends."

And then Vader throws down the final punch when he finds out about Leia. "If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will." I mean, if that much emotional trauma hit you, wouldn't you just toss caution to the wind and just try to crush any damn thing in your way? Sure you would.

Now that's a motivation to take on a Sith Lord. Nothing else comes close.

Jim Williams
18 August 2003, 06:12 AM
I've always had a soft spot for the Obi-Wan/Vader duel. A clash of titans...

The other duels get high marks for coolness and choreography, and I love those also, BUT the Episode IV duel is awesome because of the control and skill exhibited by an old man and a half-machine Sith Lord.

They never leave openings.

That being said, I love the "banter" in RotJ, Vader going berserk in ESB, the choreography of "Duel of the Fates", and that very specific turn maneuver Dooku uses to get the momentum to force Obi-Wan's blade away from his center guard.

cheshire
18 August 2003, 11:27 AM
I'll be the lone person voting for Episode V. I think that I just like the drama of the whole thing. The hero comes to face his destiny and totally gets trounced. Then he finds out that his destiny takes a huge turn.

Deck
18 August 2003, 12:07 PM
Duel of the Fates, definitely! I think the lightsabre battles were one of the good things that were really improved in the prequel movies. You are really excited when watching these lightsabre battles. But I like the duel of the fates best for another reason, too - the music. The composition of John Williams is simply outstanding, and makes this battle scene one of the best of the whole movie. :)

BrianDavion
18 August 2003, 03:31 PM
Now that's a motivation to take on a Sith Lord. Nothing else comes close.

keep in mind Qui-Gon was the closest thing Obi -Wan had to a father

Errin Orwain
18 August 2003, 07:00 PM
Good point Cheshire. That was a preety good one. Probibly my fav of the original movies.

da_gm
18 August 2003, 11:25 PM
Luke vs Vader in ep VI

The entire SW saga at its end point, the final climax of good vs evil. Coruption vs redemtion.

What more need i say

wolverine
19 August 2003, 02:57 AM
Pure unadaulteradted rage versus age old skill. I voted for ROTJ luke vs Daddy!

Korpil
19 August 2003, 03:57 AM
I admit other duels like Jedi vs Sith on the prequels are hard and exciting, but the one that really moves me is Vader vs Luke on the Death Star II... Even the music, the Emperor's theme adds to the flavor of that one... and I'm also fond of the high contrast of the lightsabers over the black background... Hmm... I do need a wallpaper of that one... *moves off to search*

Lucas Carr
19 August 2003, 06:51 AM
I like both the Jinn & Kenobi vs. Maul and Yoda vs. Dooku. And if I had to pick one of them, I'm not sure which one I'd pick. So I haven't.

Ser Kheru
19 August 2003, 08:55 AM
The pure finese that Vader held over Luke in Empire got my vote. I by all means agree that the Duel of the Fates was a beautiful scene with an amasingly orchestrated song to fall behind it. And the duels in Episode II, while amazing in their own right, you have to remember, thats a bunch of pixels flying around on the screen and that's not Christopher Lee wielding that impressively designed saber.

Random_Trandoshan
20 August 2003, 08:10 AM
Darth Vader vs. Luke Skywalker. That part with Vader killing the Emperor is perhaps the best moment ever captured in a movie ever. :emperor::lukejedi::vader:

StClair
20 August 2003, 04:40 PM
*cough*

[edited by moderator]

Jake Sunspot
21 August 2003, 12:57 AM
I can't believe the Vader vs Luke @ cloud city duel is getting so few votes. I'm not surprised that the Maul, Qui-Gon, Obi Wan duel has so many, but I think the duel at cloud city is the best so far. Maybe because I was 6 the first time I saw it, but I still think its the best.

Emperor Xanderich II
21 August 2003, 04:35 AM
Moving to Rebellion Era (for lack of a better forum...)

mojo1701
21 August 2003, 08:25 AM
I voted for the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul - Episode I one. This was, IMHO, the epitome of duels, especially for those Jedi of the Old Republic.

I also liked the Yoda/Dooku one, but I felt that that was a little too much hype. "Come see Yoda fight!!" is what I got out of it.

stoic_75
27 August 2003, 06:37 PM
This was the easiest poll ever, at least I think so. The duel at Cloud City had everything. Cool traps, stuff getting broken, people getting knocked down, you name it. And this is the first time we get to see what a formidable opponent Darth Vader is and how outmatched Luke is. The hero loses and barely escapes with his life. I will take that over a well choreographed fight in a lousy backdrop (Episode 1) and a CGI Muppet fighting an old man. (Episode 2)

Ronen Tal-Ravis
22 September 2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Jake Sunspot
I can't believe the Vader vs Luke @ cloud city duel is getting so few votes.

I really like that duel as well. It really dramatic and one it become quite clear that the Dark Side is powerful - free of any restictions, Vader is able to throw whatever on Luke, who gets really beat up.
Vader was really threatening in that duel and the dialogue was good as well.
However I think much of the EP V duel is also in the EP VI duel between that two characters. But here Palpatine begins to lure Luke to the Dark side, much like Vader tries on Bespin. You see that Luke grew much stronger - Vader no longer wields his weapon one-handed, but needs both. The drama here outweighs even that from Bespin so I had to vote on the final duel.
The new lightsaber duels are great action sequences and are fun too. The Anakin Dooku duel reminded me strongly of the EP V one, Dooku's attitude in general was much like Vader. However there is not such a drama not such a tension like in the two last duels of the OT. They are mere action scenes without real tension.

Wesly Senesca
22 September 2003, 09:28 AM
I voted for what I call Duel of Destiny Round 1 (aka Cloud City). It is here that the battle for what is to be the last and only hope for restoring the peace and justice to the galaxy that was lost after the Clone Wars began. Luke, the savior of the Alliance and potentially its greatest hero, stands the chance of falling before he can even succeed. How many Infinities story arcs where Luke falls to the Dark Side begins at Cloud City? A lot of them do. In this duel the battle is as pure as it ever could have been between Luke and Vader. There is no Emperor taunting either one of them. There is no backdrop of a decisive naval battle emulating their own duel. It is just father versus son; good versus evil.

I picked this round of their fight because, in the original version of the film, I admire the courage of the dicision Luke made to accept death rather than turning on his friends and allies. I prefer the original version because his silence during his fall--to me--gives the choice more dignity than simply screaming like a scared little idiot, but that is another arguement altogether. Though the final bout in Episode VI is by far more more powerful, the beginning is--as I said--more pure at heart at least from Luke's point of view.

Remember: even though :lukejedi: vs :vader: is the absolute climax of the entire saga, such a dramatic battle cannot be contained in one movie, it has to start somwhere--> :skypilot: vs :vader:.

P.S.: in terms of dramatic overtones and such, :anakin: vs :kenobi: should prove to be just as good. (on that note, shouldn't an Anakin Jedi Knight smilie be made?)

Codym
22 September 2003, 11:47 AM
I go with the Episode I duel due to its sheer kinetic flow. No dialogue, great music, the coolest dueling area ever assembled, and a hell of a lot of skill. It was showy enough to entertain (and didn't have to resort to lame wirework or CGI stunt doubles,) but believable enough to keep the energy high. I also liked the distinct personalities of the fighters: Qui-Gon was graceful and percise, Obi-Wan quick and impatient, Maul relentless menace. It just all come together.

I also loved the emotional energy of the original trilogy (which work better on story,) but they didn't really have me gasping for breath the way Duel of the Fates did on the big screen.

As for the Yoda/Dooku clash ... For me, it never evolved passed a special effect. And I would have perfered a more gentlemenly contest of skill rather than the one of speed we actually got.

mojo1701
22 September 2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Codym

I go with the Episode I duel due to its sheer kinetic flow. No dialogue, great music, the coolest dueling area ever assembled, and a hell of a lot of skill. It was showy enough to entertain (and didn't have to resort to lame wirework or CGI stunt doubles,) but believable enough to keep the energy high. I also liked the distinct personalities of the fighters: Qui-Gon was graceful and percise, Obi-Wan quick and impatient, Maul relentless menace. It just all come together.

I also loved the emotional energy of the original trilogy (which work better on story,) but they didn't really have me gasping for breath the way Duel of the Fates did on the big screen.

As for the Yoda/Dooku clash ... For me, it never evolved passed a special effect. And I would have perfered a more gentlemenly contest of skill rather than the one of speed we actually got.

We are in agreement for this one. I'm just surprised Lucas didn't get sued for the Yoda/Dooku saber fight causing some kid's seizures, or something...

Jedi Master Talon
10 October 2003, 07:15 AM
I'd have to say the Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan versus Darth Maul has to be the greatest duel seen I've ever seen. It was so amazing. Maul was a machine.

Syden Took
24 October 2003, 01:23 PM
Darth Maul is the ◊◊◊◊. Man he took on 2 jedi at once and bent them over his leg and made them tell him who is your master. OK, yah he did died but i think that was ◊◊◊◊. Man he saw Obi fly through the air and do some flips and twists. He didn't even move. I think that was ◊◊◊◊. He should ahve put up a little fight. He I think was better then Doku. Yah Duko can do that lighting thing. That is ◊◊◊◊ up aginst and pist off sith like maul. That is all for now.

dgswensen
24 October 2003, 02:04 PM
Funny how Obi-Wan vs. Dooku and Anakin vs. Dooku got 0 votes each. I guess I'm not the only one who thought those were pretty underwhelming. My second-favorite thing about Star Wars (next to starship battles) is lightsaber duels, and I was really jacked to see what they'd do in Episode II, figuring it had to BEAT Episode I. Imagine my surprise when I found out that it didn't even come close.

They even had Anakin fighting with 2 sabers! ... for three and a half seconds, tops. What a waste.

mojo1701
24 October 2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by dgswensen

I was really jacked to see what they'd do in Episode II, figuring it had to BEAT Episode I. Imagine my surprise when I found out that it didn't even come close.

They even had Anakin fighting with 2 sabers! ... for three and a half seconds, tops. What a waste.

Yeah, and with 2 sabers? They could've done the same thing that Darth Maul did for Ep. I with the double-blade.

whiteraven1983
25 October 2003, 07:28 PM
its suprising the ep I is standing up to the yoda dooku fight.