PDA

View Full Version : Deciphering Book Titles *spoilers for all books*

Remus Lightforce
23 August 2003, 05:29 PM
I'm just trying to piece together the meanings of the titles of the books, (I'm bored). Help me out here. Off the top of my head....

-Vector Prime
No idea.

-Dark Tide I: Onslaught
The first onslaught of the 'dark tide' of the YV. Makes sense.

-Dark Tide II: Ruin
Ditto, except add the Ruin of Ithor to the mix.

-Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
Han's trial and error test of himself after the death of Chewie. Agents of Chaos perhaps referring to the YV again, more specifically Elan.

-Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
Not sure. It's been a while since I read it. Why Jedi Eclipse?

-Balance Point
Jacen's supposed 'Balance Point'.

-Recovery (E-book)
Leia's recovery...

-Edge of Victory I: Conquest
I don't know. Edge of Victory for whom? The Yuuzhan Vong? Seems more likely than the New Republic.

-Edge of Victory II: Rebirth
Ditto, rebirth also hinting at Ben Skywalker being born.

-Star by Star
The continued onslaught of the YV, although I think a better title could have been thought of...

-Dark Journey
Jaina foray with the Dark Side.

-Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
Back of the enemy lines on Borleias, both the fact that the New Republic are fighting as Rebels and the ship <I>Rebel Dream</I>

-Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand
Ditto, with the dramatic stand at Borleias.

-Traitor
Jacen Solo's questionable actions and supposed betrayal.

-Destiny's Way
Generic title I guess.

-Ylesia (E-book)
The Peace Brigade base, of course.

-Force Heretic I: Remnant
Force Heretic? Who/what is this referring to? Jacen? Nom Anor's followers? Remnant means the Imperial Remnant, of course.

-Force Heretic II: Refugee
What refugee? Zonama Sekot?

-Force Heretic III: Reunion
Reunion with Zonama Sekot? Since other Jedi had come beforehand?

Nova Spice
23 August 2003, 06:27 PM
Here's some of my views on those you were confused about.

-Vector Prime
Quite obviously referring to entry point Vector Prime, where the Yuuzhan Vong entered the galaxy.

-Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
The AoC part is referring to the continuing seeds of deceit sown by Nas Choka and Nom Anor (against the Hutts). Jedi Eclipse is probably referring to the Jedi "eclipsing" the Vong's stance on the war. It was in this book that the Vong really began to understand that the Jedi were their true enemy. This was symbolized by Wurth Skidder's death.

-Edge of Victory I: Conquest
Definitely referring to the Vong edging closer to defeating the New Republic. The Conquest part refers to the fall of Yavin and the Jedi Academy (symbol of the New Jedi Order). The title doubles as a reference to Anakin's conquest of the Vong's void in the Force (ala the lambent crystal).

-Star by Star
I disagree. This is definitely a most fitting title. The obvious point is that the Vong conquer the Colonies and the Core, causing them to fall star by star. A subtle point is one of Anakin's death. He was a "star" of the Jedi, along with the others that died on the strike team. The deaths of the young Jedi parallel the fall of the Core.

-Destiny's Way
Jacen's return to the New Republic. His return was the path that destiny had chosen (ala Destiny's Way). Combine that with Vergere's death, Cal's election, and the creation of the Jedi Council, and you have three other meanings for the title.

-Force Heretic I: Remnant
The force heretic is Tahiri. She is essentially part Vong and part Jedi. Which is a paradox in itself. Remnant rightfully refers to the Imperials.

Again, the force heretic is Tahiri. Refugee is referring to Tahiri as well. She is a refugee from herself (no longer having an identity). Luke and his team are refugees in the Unknown Regions (in search of Zonama Sekot). The Ryn are refugees from the galaxy as a whole (as depicted by Goure).

Again, the force heretic is Tahiri. But this time it also refers to Zonama Sekot (as shown by Sekot's defense against the Yuuzhan Vong). Reunion implies Tahiri's joining with Riina. It also implies Han reuniting with Droma. It also implies Luke seeing his father as a boy. Jacen seeing Sekot in the form of Vergere. And the Jedi finding Zonama Sekot.

There are many other, smaller andmore subtle reasons for the various novel's titles. These are just some of the more obvious. ;)

Remus Lightforce
23 August 2003, 06:52 PM
<I>-Vector Prime
Quite obviously referring to entry point Vector Prime, where the Yuuzhan Vong entered the galaxy.</I>

Doi. It's been forever since I read Vector Prime, and I skipped it on my second read through (went right to Dark Tide I).

<I>-Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
The AoC part is referring to the continuing seeds of deceit sown by Nas Choka and Nom Anor (against the Hutts). Jedi Eclipse is probably referring to the Jedi "eclipsing" the Vong's stance on the war. It was in this book that the Vong really began to understand that the Jedi were their true enemy. This was symbolized by Wurth Skidder's death.</I>

Yep, sounds right.

<I>-Star by Star
I disagree. This is definitely a most fitting title. The obvious point is that the Vong conquer the Colonies and the Core, causing them to fall star by star. A subtle point is one of Anakin's death. He was a "star" of the Jedi, along with the others that died on the strike team. The deaths of the young Jedi parallel the fall of the Core.</I>

Good eye! I never thought of 'Star by Star' in reference to the 'stars' (both in the sense of a book and a beacon of light).

<I>-Force Heretic I: Remnant
The force heretic is Tahiri. She is essentially part Vong and part Jedi. Which is a paradox in itself. Remnant rightfully refers to the Imperials.

Again, the force heretic is Tahiri. Refugee is referring to Tahiri as well. She is a refugee from herself (no longer having an identity). Luke and his team are refugees in the Unknown Regions (in search of Zonama Sekot). The Ryn are refugees from the galaxy as a whole (as depicted by Goure).

Again, the force heretic is Tahiri. But this time it also refers to Zonama Sekot (as shown by Sekot's defense against the Yuuzhan Vong). Reunion implies Tahiri's joining with Riina. It also implies Han reuniting with Droma. It also implies Luke seeing his father as a boy. Jacen seeing Sekot in the form of Vergere. And the Jedi finding Zonama Sekot.</I>

Ah, it's Tahiri. Well, that clears it all up =p. How did she sneak up into becoming such an important character on me?

Rogue Janson
24 August 2003, 03:32 AM
Nova's analysis there is pretty complete, there are only a couple of things I can add.

Edge of Victory II: Rebirth refers not simply to the birth of Ben Skywalker, but to the rebirth of Mara, as she and Luke finally purge her disease, and to the rebirth of the pair's relationship. I would have though there might be some other symbolic rebirth in there, but I can't think of anything.

Star by Star is actually a quote from Tsavong Lah, who says to Leia the Yuuzhan vong will conquer the galaxy "star by star" in Balance Point.

Having said all that, I wouldn't read too much into some of the titles - Vector Prime, for example does simply refer to the YV's entry corridor.

Anyone want to speculate on the significance of the titles of the final two books?

The Unifying Force is pretty obvious, but The Final Prophecy is an intriguing one, since we only know of one Jedi prophecy and don't really know anything about it. I have a suspicion it might refer to Nom Anor, who of course, is calling himself 'The Prophet'. Or maybe it refers to both. Or it could just be my ambivalence towards the concept of Jedi prophecies skewing my viewpoint.

Remus Lightforce
25 August 2003, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I think the meaning (or one of the meanings) of <I>The Final Prophecy</I> will be Nom Anor's final bid for power.

Perhaps Jacen will have another vision, as well?

Tramp
25 August 2003, 05:08 PM
Tahiri's not the heretic. Nor Anor is. Read the books again. He's the Prophet preaching the Force Heresy to the Yuuzhan Vong Shamed Ones. This is Heresy in the highest order to Overlord Shimra. That's why he's the Force Heretic.

Rouge8
25 August 2003, 05:15 PM
Interesting.
I'm still more inclined to lean on Tahiri being the Force heretic, because well, her body kinda defies the force, and the trilogy seems to focs on her.

Tramp
25 August 2003, 05:23 PM
There are three main plots to this story, each getting equal focus . One deals with Tahiri, the second is the search for Zenoma Sekot, and the third with the Force Heresy with Nom Anor at the center of it. Nowhere in the trilogy does it hint at Tahiri being heretical to the Jedi or the Force. However, What Nom Anor is doing is considered by Overlord Shimra to be the highest Heresy against the Yuuzhan Vong Gods, especially since it is Shimra's goal to exterminate the Jedi and the Force once and for all, as well as any Yuuzhan Vong espousing belief in the Jeedai as saviors.

Nova Spice
25 August 2003, 07:37 PM
Nowhere in the trilogy does it hint at Tahiri being heretical to the Jedi or the Force. However, What Nom Anor is doing is considered by Overlord Shimra to be the highest Heresy against the Yuuzhan Vong Gods, especially since it is Shimra's goal to exterminate the Jedi and the Force once and for all, as well as any Yuuzhan Vong espousing belief in the Jeedai as saviors.

I agree and disagree with you Tramp. Tahiri is most definitely the Force Heretic. But you've pointed out something obvious that I missed; so is Nom Anor. :)

Tahiri fits the profile very well. She is a Force user, a Jedi Knight specifically (Force) and she is also mentally half-Vong (Heretic). A Yuuzhan Vong personality able to use the Force would be a heretic to the Force itself, due to the fact that the Vong seem to be absent in the Force.

But as you said, Nom Anor also fits the title in his role as the Prophet and the heresy.

And so does Zonama Sekot. All three plot points are all three Force Heretics. I just had a revelation that was immediately obvious. Shane Dix and Sean Williams are notorious for their multiple meanings and I think that some of us, myself included, failed to realize that all three subplots can be defined as "Force Heretics." Zonama Sekot is a Force-using planet, an outcast to the galaxy as a whole. It is an entity all on its own. It is a heretic.

How did I miss that? :D 8o :?

Add this to Deciphering Book Titles:

-Force Heretic Trilogy: Tahiri, Nom Anor, and Zonama Sekot are all Force Heretics. Three books, three plots, three heretics. And one completely ignorant member of the Holonet (me) who thinks he knows the NJO like the back of his hand! :D

Nice job, Tramp, you helped me realize something I had yet to see!

Tramp
25 August 2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Nova Spice

I agree and disagree with you Tramp. Tahiri is most definitely the Force Heretic. But you've pointed out something obvious that I missed; so is Nom Anor. :)

Tahiri fits the profile very well. She is a Force user, a Jedi Knight specifically (Force) and she is also mentally half-Vong (Heretic). A Yuuzhan Vong personality able to use the Force would be a heretic to the Force itself, due to the fact that the Vong seem to be absent in the Force.

The key word here is seem to be. As is answered in Traitor , the Yuuzhan Vong can't be completely apart from the Force. Nothing can live if it's not a part of the Force. Therefore, the Yuuzhan Vong are part of the Force; it's just a matter of finding where their place in it is. So, therefore, Tahiri is not a Heresy to the Force. On the contrary in fact, she's more likely the key to the puzzle of how the Yuuzhan Vong fit within it.

Remus Lightforce
25 August 2003, 11:32 PM
Nom Anor's one of those characters you almost know is going to die by the time the book ends. Too bad, too, since I like his character....

Good eye with the Heretic meanings, <b>Tramp</b> and <b>Nova</b>.