PDA

View Full Version : Species Wiped Out By the Yuuzhan Vong?

Darth Fierce
31 August 2003, 08:58 AM
I'm planning to start a campaign set during the NJO era of the Star Wars timeline, however I'm trying to determine which species/races are supposedly extinct due to the Yuuzhan Vong during the time following
Force Heretic III, so that I don't use them as NPCs (or encourage PCs to use them (although the NPCs or PCs could conceivably be the last remaining member of their species). There are a few species that I'm pretty sure are confirmed extinct by this time, these being: Sernpidalians, Firrerreons, and Yethevans. If anyone knows of me to be wrong in these assumptions, or if you know of any other species that I have missed in my list, please let me know. Thanks.

Darth Fierce :vader:

BrianDavion
31 August 2003, 09:08 AM
well in a star fareing game no reaces are actually EXTINCT. but both ithor and duros are "shaped"

Rogue Janson
31 August 2003, 09:24 AM
Barabels are virtually wiped out by a Yuuzhan Vong attack, though as with almost any example, those off-planet at the time would have survived. I can't think of any others that take similar damage, let alone are made extinct by the Yuuzhan Vong.

Darth Fierce
31 August 2003, 09:45 AM
Thanks Rogue Janson, I had forgotten about the virtual destruction of Barab I in Force Heretic I. Though, as you indicated it seems like many Barabels probably were off-planet at the time, so it would be okay for my PCs to play them. Good thing too...I like Barabels.

Rouge8
31 August 2003, 10:06 AM
Rodia is slightly messed up. The Vong are shaping the Rodians into this one critter, see Gamer 8 for details. Though there still is resistance on Rodia.

Darth Fierce
31 August 2003, 10:45 AM
Does anyone know if I'm wrong in thinking the Sernpidalians are extinct? Please let me know if you do. Thanks.

Wedge Antilles, Rogue Leader
31 August 2003, 11:06 AM
Weren't there a bunch of refugees in the Falcon and on a few other ships?

Darth Fierce
31 August 2003, 11:23 AM
I think you're right about a few Sernpidalians being evacuated from Sernpidal before its moon struck the planet. I might be crazy, but I thought I remembered reading in Star By Star that the surviving Sernpidalians were on refugee ships which the Yuuzhan Vong forced into Coruscant's planetary shields to attack the planet though. If anyone knows, let me know.

Rogue Janson
31 August 2003, 12:35 PM
I think at least 20,000 people were evacuated from Sernpidal immediately before it was destroyed. Probably more left before then.

Darthspectre84
31 August 2003, 01:27 PM
YOu might have to deduct those numbers of refugees cause the Vong love chasing refugees down for sacrifice.

Nova Spice
31 August 2003, 07:57 PM
Confirmed species that the Vong have either severely crippled, decimated, or wiped out:

-Sernpidalians (decimated): Native to Sernpidal
-Dantari (wiped out): Native to Dantooine
-Vors (crippled): Native to Vortex
-Phindians (decimated): Native to Phindar
-Galatians (decimated): Native to Gala
-Bimms (decimated ): Native to Bimmisaari
-Kalarbans (decimated): Native to Kalarba
-Kubaz (decimated): Native to Kubindi
-Rodians (crippled): Native to Rodia
-Tynnans (decimated): Native to Tynna
-Mimbanites (decimated): Native to Mimban
-Togorians (crippled): Native to Togoria
-Sneevel (crippled): Native to Sneeve
-Weequay (decimated): Native to Sriluur
-Duros (crippled): Native to Duro
-Vratix (crippled): Native to Thyferra
-Nosaurians (decimated): Native to New Plympto
-Talfaglians (decimated): Native to Talfaglio
-Barabels (wiped out): Native to Barab I
-Yevetha (wiped out): Native to N'Zoth
-Firrerroans (wiped out): Native to Firrerro

I'm sure there are plenty more that my mind isn't registering right now. At any rate, some will argue that because Saba and Tesar are still alive that the Barabels haven't been wiped out. I tend to disagree and would like to point out that the Barabels had no way of resisting the invasion. There were no survivors according to my notes. Granted there were Barabels offworld, but that hardly counters the fact that every Barabel on Barab I was killed or captured by the Vong.

Darth_Cassed
31 August 2003, 08:51 PM
It may be late and I may be misreading, but I'm pretty sure the Ithorians weren't in there, a major species to be sure. Am I just out of it?

Nice list Nova, you shine through again. Join the Dark Side....join us....

BrianDavion
31 August 2003, 09:51 PM
I'd say the Ithorans are decimated. thing this with a lot of the races that aren't major space fareing races, if they loose th eir home world, odds are there isn't going to be a stable eneugh breeding population. my money says a lot of the races lsited as decimated are going to go extinct in a few generations

wolverine
31 August 2003, 10:31 PM
When did thyferra get whalloped???

Wedge in Red2
1 September 2003, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by BrianDavion
I'd say the Ithorans are decimated. thing this with a lot of the races that aren't major space fareing races, if they loose th eir home world, odds are there isn't going to be a stable eneugh breeding population.

A lot of the Ithorians got away, though. I seem to remember their Herdships up and leaving. I'm not sure of the numbers in each Herdship, but I'm sure between a few of them they could ensure the continuation of the population. Remember, the Ithorians didn't actually live on Ithor, they lived in the ships which hovered above it, such was their reverence to their planet. How they fare psychologically now that their planet is gone is another matter entirely. It'd be the equivalent of Christians getting concrete proof that God is dead - a total loss of one of the foundations of their society.

Jon

Nova Spice
1 September 2003, 05:47 AM
Jon is correct, while Ithor was completely blown away, the Ithorian species was, all in all, safely evacuated. That is why I bypassed mentioning of them.

When did thyferra get whalloped???

Shortly after Edge of Victory II: Rebirth.

BrianDavion
1 September 2003, 08:54 AM
Shortly after Edge of Victory II: Rebirth.

that ain't good. No more Bacta!

Darth Fierce
1 September 2003, 09:47 AM
Thanks Nova Spice for the list you have compiled. I hadn't realized the Yuuzhan Vong had affected that many species.

However, I must differ with my opinion on at least one, if not two, of the races/species listed. The first race is the Barabels. Though Barab I is indeed most likely lost to the Barabels, we do not see any indication that the entire species is extinct. For example, we know that at least Saba is still alive at the end of Force Heretic III. In addition, just because a planet is "destroyed" or "lost" does not mean the species that inhabited that world is extinct. If you follow the token that the "death" or loss of a homeworld means the extinction of that planets sentient species, then you must throw the Caamasi, Frozians, Ithorians, and other species (including Alderaanian humans) into the mix of species that are extinct (either due to Yuuzhan Vong or Imperial means), though we clearly see in the books and/or movies that these species are not extinct (though the Frozians appear to be headed that way if you follow the UAA). We are told out-right, though, that the Yevethans and Firrerreons are extinct due to the Yuuzhan Vong.

In addition, are you sure that the books indicate that the Dantari are extinct, because I thought I saw some things that indicate some of their tribes may still be living in the wilds of Dantooine (much like the Psadans, Mynesrshi, and Rodians are doing on their own homeworlds).

My differences in opinion aside, thank you again for your list Nova Spice, and I hope to hear from you again soon. Thanks.

Darth Fierce
1 September 2003, 10:00 AM
A few more questions about species affected by the Yuuzhan Vong:

1. I know that the planet Falleen was attacked by the Yuuzhan Vong, and the Falleen basically did not stand a chance in repelling invasion, but does anyone know the "current state" of them in the NJO Era. I hope they still exist.

2. Also, was Yag'Dhul (homeworld of the skeletal Givin) attacked by the Yuuzhan Vong? If so, does anyone remember the results of that attack?

Please let me know if you know. Thanks.

Nova Spice
1 September 2003, 10:40 AM
Though Barab I is indeed most likely lost to the Barabels, we do not see any indication that the entire species is extinct. For example, we know that at least Saba is still alive at the end of Force Heretic III. In addition, just because a planet is "destroyed" or "lost" does not mean the species that inhabited that world is extinct

I do realize that Saba and Tesar are very much still alive. However, I would like to point out that very few Barabels were offworld. In fact, as depicted in Force Heretic I: Remnant, Barab I was literally a burning world. While I concur that just because a planet is destroyed does not mean that it's native inhabitants are extinct. I do think that with likely less than one percent of the Barabels alive, the title: "wiped out" does indeed apply.

The Dantari were not rescued by New Republic forces at the Battle of Dantooine. Therefore, considering their primitive society and the Yuuzhan Vong's enslavement habits, I think it's safe to say that the Dantari are no more.

I know that the planet Falleen was attacked by the Yuuzhan Vong, and the Falleen basically did not stand a chance in repelling invasion, but does anyone know the "current state" of them in the NJO Era. I hope they still exist.

The Falleen still exist. In fact, feel free to add them to the list as "crippled" due to the Vong invasion of their homeworld.

Also, was Yag'Dhul (homeworld of the skeletal Givin) attacked by the Yuuzhan Vong? If so, does anyone remember the results of that attack?

Yag'Dhul was assaulted in Edge of Victory II: Rebirth. However, it needs to be noted that Qurang Lah's fleet was repelled. Initially the Givin succeeded in avoiding conquest. However it is noted in at least two sources that Yag'Dhul fell to a second wave of attacks sometime later.

I do not know the status of the Givin.

Ardent
1 September 2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Nova Spice
I do realize that Saba and Tesar are very much still alive. However, I would like to point out that very few Barabels were offworld. In fact, as depicted in Force Heretic I: Remnant, Barab I was literally a burning world. While I concur that just because a planet is destroyed does not mean that it's native inhabitants are extinct. I do think that with likely less than one percent of the Barabels alive, the title: "wiped out" does indeed apply.

I'll back Nova's assessment. Barabels were by and large a primitive people. Certain individuals; Saba, Tesar and the other hatchmates, were exported off-world for use by the galactic culture. Barabels are occasionally seen as bounty hunters, shockboxers, bodyguards, Jedi Knights, gladiators...they're rarely, if ever, seen off-world if they're not some sort of exploited warrior.

The Falleen still exist. In fact, feel free to add them to the list as "crippled" due to the Vong invasion of their homeworld.

Falleen are fairly widespread in addition. While most Falleen used to choose to remain on their homeworld, enough ventured out into the galaxy that a supportable population probably exists. It's also unclear, but possible, that their genetic material is compatible with human genetic material.

Yag'Dhul was assaulted in Edge of Victory II: Rebirth. However, it needs to be noted that Qurang Lah's fleet was repelled. Initially the Givin succeeded in avoiding conquest. However it is noted in at least two sources that Yag'Dhul fell to a second wave of attacks sometime later.

But it'd be almost impossible to wipe the Givin out. They're too widespread -- and add to that their ability to survive in a vacuum for quite some time -- I think it's safe to say they're wholly recoverable.

Darth Fierce
1 September 2003, 11:06 AM
I will concede that without a viable breeding population a species will eventually die out, but if I remember right (following Earthly standards), most animal species are not necessarily doomed for near-future extinction if their population viable for breeding is equal to or greater than 50. Though the Barabels may indeed be in store for a sad fate, I'd like to believe that at least 50 would of escaped the destruction of Barab I, and could find a way to continue their race. I think I'll still allow my PCs to play Barabels if they want, and maybe encounter a NPC Barabel on rare occasions. Thanks for your help.

Darth_Cassed
1 September 2003, 12:16 PM
Earthly standards may say 50, but the galaxy is much bigger than a planet. Finding 1 Barabel outta 50 in a galaxy is not easy, much less making the species thrive again.

Wedge in Red2
2 September 2003, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Darth Fierce
I will concede that without a viable breeding population a species will eventually die out, but if I remember right (following Earthly standards), most animal species are not necessarily doomed for near-future extinction if their population viable for breeding is equal to or greater than 50. Though the Barabels may indeed be in store for a sad fate, I'd like to believe that at least 50 would of escaped the destruction of Barab I, and could find a way to continue their race.

I'd quite willingly concede that 50 of any of the so called "extinct" races would have survived. However, 50 scattered across the Universe is not enough to even hope to re-establish a species.

The Edge of Victory duology demonstrated some of the difficulties in tracking down people in such a vast universe. Leia was on the same planet as Han, Jacen and Jaina and they didn't even know, and Droma and Han had to spend a lot of time (and numerous hyperspcae jumps) tracking down the Run refugees.

So, while 50 Barabel may have been off planet, the chances are they will not bump into each other in such a vast Universe. Especially with the chaos in the galaxy at the moment. Perhaps in peaceful times the government might have taken steps to try to get refugees reunited, but with the War I can't see anything happening for quite some time.

Jon

Darth Fierce
29 November 2003, 12:16 PM
Although I don't know if many people are still playing NJO era adventures focused on the Vong war nowadays, I just came across another example of an alien race virtually wiped out by the Vong. According to SW Gamer #4, the Advosec race was basically wiped out when their homeworld of Riflor was rendered a dead world by the Vong. The Gamer says some families escaped the destruction, but I'd place the overall number of Advosec left alive in the galaxy at the few hundred range at the end of the Vong war.

Nova Spice
29 November 2003, 02:22 PM
Although I don't know if many people are still playing NJO era adventures focused on the Vong war nowadays, I just came across another example of an alien race virtually wiped out by the Vong.

Why wouldn't people still play NJO adventures? :raised:

According to SW Gamer #4, the Advosec race was basically wiped out when their homeworld of Riflor was rendered a dead world by the Vong. The Gamer says some families escaped the destruction, but I'd place the overall number of Advosec left alive in the galaxy at the few hundred range at the end of the Vong war.

Yea, I just recently looked over this article. I'm somewhat skeptical, however, due to the fact that Riflor is so far outside the invasion corridor as to be negligible. In fact, according to cartographer's map, Riflor is on the other side of the Mid Rim near Cerea. That area was never touched by the Vong.

An interesting conundrum. :?

Darth Fierce
29 November 2003, 05:15 PM
I didn't mean to make it sound like people shouldn't be playing NJO era adventures set during the Vong War still, it's just with the fact that since the outcome of The Unifying Force has pretty much wrapped up the whole Vong invasion, I didn't know how many people were involved in such adventures. Again, I meant no offense to anyone still playing these adventures.

As for the conundrum of the Advosec/Vong matter, I think whoever wrote up the backstory for the Advosec in the Gamer wanted to give the idea that even the eternally pessimistic members of the Advosec race could not alway foretell what bad things were going to happen to them. That's my two cents at least.

Darth Fierce
29 November 2003, 07:45 PM
I just took a look at the map of the galaxy you were referring to, Nova Spice, and I have a second theory of why the Gamer said that Riflor was rendered a dead world by the Vong. Riflor is not terribly far from Thyferra, which we know was hit during the war, and we know that the Vong were making incursions into the galaxy closer to the Unknown Regions, which Riflor is also not terribly far from, especially when they were making a concerted search for Zonama Sekot. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that the SW Gamer considers Riflor a dead world somewhat late into the Vong War.

Nova Spice
30 November 2003, 08:06 AM
Riflor is not terribly far from Thyferra, which we know was hit during the war, and we know that the Vong were making incursions into the galaxy closer to the Unknown Regions, which Riflor is also not terribly far from, especially when they were making a concerted search for Zonama Sekot. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that the SW Gamer considers Riflor a dead world somewhat late into the Vong War.

Not a bad theory, Fierce. I suppose this would be one of the more logical explanations. I'm just skeptical because Riflor lies so far outside the invasion path and the conquered territories.

I'm fairly confident that the Vong didn't hit the Mid Rim past the Corellian Run. Though its possible that Riflor came under attack from a scout force.

Nevertheless, I do like your theory. ;)