PDA

View Full Version : Why do all the cool characters die?

Jeskan
4 September 2003, 03:30 PM
I was just wandering if anyone thought it was anoying that they have been killing off all the cool characters(exspecialy in the prequels). Darth Vader dieing is not that bad, and I know that Mace will have to die, but what about Darth Maul, Jango Fett, Anoon Bondara, Chewbacca, andAnakin Skywalker(not as cool as the others, but I think he should be on here) for starters. The way they killed Ulic Qel-Droma wasn't that good(a blaster shot from a half-***ed guy trying to make a name for himself). I mean, he was a Jedi Knight, then a Sith Lord that ravaged half of the galaxy!

Major T. Phennir
4 September 2003, 04:21 PM
I kind of agree with you but if all the heros survived and all the bad guys died it would also be pretty dumb. I did almost cry when good old Chewie died. I tried to convince myself that the book was not really legal Star Wars material, but you just have to acept the facts some time. I certainly hope the Vong get destroyed for what they have done.

BrianDavion
4 September 2003, 04:29 PM
the charcters die because it builds a sense of drama..
Daul Maul HAD to die so that Palpatine would be in need of a new apprentice.

Jango had to die for boba fett to become whom he is.

Anoon Bandara was Maul bait and everyone knew it.

Chewbacca's death IMHO was god. it made things draamtic and frankly none of the writers had been using chewie well anyway, why not letr him die heroicly instead of being stuck in dead end bit aprts.

Anakin Skywalker? I think youm mean Anakin Solo. and his death I suspect wasa reuquired for the plot.
and was Quel Droma's death a complete and utter waste? yeah it was.. it was supposed to be :)

Nova Spice
4 September 2003, 07:19 PM
I was just wandering if anyone thought it was anoying that they have been killing off all the cool characters(exspecialy in the prequels).

Well I suppose it depends on your definition of "cool." I'm not annoyed by it at all. In fact, I would be rather annoyed if some of these characters had not of died. Star Wars has always seen death. Some people (particularly after Vector Prime) act as if death is some foreign concept to the galaxy far, far away. While, in the novels, I can see that argument; the films show an entirely different side of things.

-Darth Maul died because Obi-Wan out-smarted him. If Maul had lived, Obi-Wan would have died, which would have made for some poor story-telling down the road, eh?
-Jango Fett died because he was an idiot. I'm not being sarcastic or funny. He honestly died because he had a severe brain blockage. Why would you attempt to fight the deadliest man in the galaxy and expect to win? He lost his head. Literally. Nice death scene.
-Anoon Bondara is the Twi'lek Jedi Master in Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. He was a one shot character and thus, considering his short "screentime," I personally wouldn't consider him cool. He seemed fairly generic as far as Jedi go, too.
-Chewbacca died because Anakin had to clear Sernpidal's atmosphere before Dobido hit. What else is there to say? War is bad; people die. Chewbacca was one of the Vong's first casualties. I loved the Wook, and I shed a few tears while reading his death. Nevertheless, I'm not bitter or annoyed by it. Brilliant move by the NJO team. It finally brought drama back to Star Wars.
-Anakin Solo died because he sacrificed himself. He was hopelessly outnumbered and eventually the Vong overwhelmed him. His death is symbolic of the war killing off youth before they could ever achieve their potential. Was their any meaning for his death? Of course. Am I annoyed by it? Hardly; another brilliant piece of storytelling by the NJO team.

Death is a major reoccurring theme in Star Wars. The good guys die and the bad guys die; but in the end, good always wins. It's part of the sacrifice that has to be made. I'm enjoying the storytelling in all eras. The day the good guys no longer have to sacrifice to win, is the day that I begin questioning if the material is truly worthy of the title: Star Wars.

BrianDavion
4 September 2003, 07:41 PM
sides just be glad this isn't battletech and we aren't seeing ionic charcters dieing from somthing stupid like a jump jet to the head

Talonne Hauk
5 September 2003, 09:06 AM
They die so we can appreciate them all the more.

Besides, Han Solo is still kicking. So not ALL the cool characters die.:hansolo:

Vanger Chevane
6 September 2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Talonne Hauk
They die so we can appreciate them all the more.

Besides, Han Solo is still kicking. So not ALL the cool characters die.:hansolo:

Don't forget Wedge Antilles is still out there as well.

The one man to have faced just about every major threat to the NR and survive intact.

Remus Lightforce
6 September 2003, 09:16 AM
Well, Anakin Solo dying annoyed me a bit. It might just be because I liked Tahiri's character, and I didn't really like the whole split personality subplot. But, on the other hand, it showed you that when a character gets in trouble, they DON'T always find a way out, they're actually in mortal danger.

Ganner Rhysode's death was more entertaining to read than all of Rhysode combined before that scene.

Jango Fett died of arrogance. There was no need for him to go out and engage Mace, but he did it anyway.

But, there are some characters I don't think they would dare kill (at least while they are significant and not greying and old):

Luke Skywalker-
He practically IS Star Wars. He'll be quite safe, I think.

Jaina Solo-
The 'Sword of the Jedi' prophecy. It also makes me think that Jacen and Jag might be worm food later on, but I'm not sure.

Jacen Solo-
But then again, who would carry on the Solo family name without Jacen?

Han Solo-
I don't know, maybe they would dare kill him, but that would be a horrible, horrible move. He's practically the only significant non-force sensitive character who's lived throughout the entire series. He's also my favorite character =p.

Leia Solo-
While I'm not quite as sure as I am about Han or Luke, Leia will likely be safe, as well.

C-3P0 and R2-D2-
They'll either stay safe or go out with an incredible bang. They've been in the series since the very, very beginning, and they're definately not disposable.

Jeskan
6 September 2003, 09:19 AM
The main thing I'm made about is that most die when they're first introduced. They tried to do more for Maul and Jango with doing stuf before they croaked, but I would have liked to see them get more, like Boba.
Ya, Davion. I meant solo.
I forgot where I heard it, but there is some speculation that Wedge will die. Sorry, Vanger.
I just would rather that certain characters would die instead of others. Tott Doneeta instead of Ulic, or Adi Galia instead of Eeth Koth.
Nova, the easy way to determine what I consider cool is if I'd jump at the chance to rp as the character.

Vanger Chevane
7 September 2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Jeskan
I forgot where I heard it, but there is some speculation that Wedge will die. Sorry, Vanger.

Why? Wedge is a warrior first and foremost, warriors do a lot of dying in a war.

Given the writers & the genre, I suspect that if Wedge is killed, it'll be rather spectacular and for some Great Purpose, rather than someone handing "The Insiders" a note that he died in his sleep from Natural Causes.

There's also some of the other Legendary Rogues to carry on. Celchu, Janson, Klivian, Horn, Darklighter, even Ooryl...

Nova Spice
7 September 2003, 06:44 PM
I'm sure Jeskan heard that "rumor" from me in a few other threads. The fact that he is to be one of four main characters in The Final Prophecy tells me that his role will be key to the conclusion of the series.

I've merely put the pieces together. Wedge supposedly goes behind enemy lines to retake Bilbringi (or secure it one) in The Final Prophecy. In the caption for the The Unifying Force (last novel), it claims that hundreds of high-ranking Alliance officers have been captured for sacrifice. It seems likely that Wedge, Tycho, and Janson are among those captured. And if the series ends similar to events that occurred at the beginning and the middle novels, we'll see another MAJOR character death.

And that is more than likely Wedge Antilles. :(

Remus Lightforce
7 September 2003, 07:33 PM
Hmm....I don't care much for Wedge Antilles, never really got into his character much. Better he die than someone like Han, Jaina, or Jag (the other pilots).

Nova Spice
8 September 2003, 03:48 PM
Hmm....I don't care much for Wedge Antilles, never really got into his character much. Better he die than someone like Han, Jaina, or Jag (the other pilots).

Talk like this will likely get you shot. ;)

Wedge Antilles is perhaps the only minor character ever to become a major character. Even during the filming of the classic trilogy, he began to garner a large fan support.

Better Jaina or Jag die than Wedge. You thought the reaction to Chewie's and Anakin's death was bad? You can't even begin to comprehend the outcry if Wedge were to "bite the bullet."

In fact, if it comes down to Jag or Wedge, kill the Fel boy. However, there is a fairly good possibility that Wedge's fate hangs in the balance in these next two novels.

We'll just have to see what happens. ;)

Remus Lightforce
8 September 2003, 05:03 PM
Hmm...well, I've started liking Jaina and Jag less as their personalities started compromising, making them seem a bit ackward, less like their original selves...like how formal Jaina is, and how Jag's making ackward attempts at being lighthearted. Han I don't even consider a question. Han >>>>>>Wedge.

The fact of it is, I just never really cared much for Wedge. He just doesn't fit my character style reading tastes. He's a good guy and all, but I wouldn't actually shed a tear for him if he died.

Oh, and if you want to e-shoot me, go ahead *stands up, turning his e-body towards all the e-enemies*. Ouch.

BrianDavion
8 September 2003, 05:17 PM
like how formal Jaina is, and how Jag's making ackward attempts at being lighthearted.

first off, war DOES change people. secondly
I suggest the changes in Jag and Jaina's chars are proably just the sublte effects of the others influance :)

Remus Lightforce
8 September 2003, 07:08 PM
Yes...notice I said "as their personalities started compromising,". I'm not saying it isn't logical, I'm saying I don't like it.

BrianDavion
9 September 2003, 09:50 AM
now you see this is the differance between the old EU and the NJO books. the old EU stuff... well.. things never seemed to change. it was very.. episodic.

Vex
16 September 2003, 02:34 PM
Charectors HAVE to die to make the stories good. If you ask me not enough main charectors have died and they should kill off some more. I've read practicaly all the novels and the only book outside off the NJO that I can remember any main charector dieing in (after the movies that is) is in Darksaber.

BrianDavion
16 September 2003, 02:52 PM
the star wars books before the NJO where becoming episodic.. not eneugh evolution.

coldskier0320
19 September 2003, 09:17 AM
As far as Jango is concerned, remember that he also had to die at the hand of a Jedi to fuel Boba's hatred of the Jedi, thus leading him to work for the Empire that hunts Jedi. Thus making his whole role on the OT make sense. I admit they could have plotted his demise better (a scene where he actually has a Jedi who is a fair match for him, or...killed by a massive force of his own clones), but hey, they're only human.:)

Snowtiger
4 October 2003, 11:46 AM
I kinda liked Qui-Gon Jinn in TMP, of course he had to die to allow Obi-Wan to finish Maul, and years later start Luke up on the way to become a Jedi to keepup with the original trilogy. I'd rather liked to see Qui-Gon alive in the end of TMP, maybe if he would have been the one to train Anakin, then Vader would have to be someone else, which goes with this strange aptitude of mine to think about what if Anakin and Vader really would be two different persons, instead of one corrupted Jedi.

Jedi Master Talon
10 October 2003, 07:08 AM
Jeskan to be exact the cool characters die because it makes the story better and more lifelike. Because if a cool character didn't die then the story would just get old after awhile. Does that help explain. I agree with you to some characters should just not die.

Kanner Ra'an
19 October 2003, 02:35 PM
Some characters have to die. Really the fact that people were furious that chewie died shows that it did its job perfectly. You can say in the book three thousand time that their is a great feeling of loss, however if you dont make the reader feel that then the words are useless. However kill someone who the readers heave really grown to love, chewie, and they do get that sense.

As for other "cool" characters, most have to die to move the story along. Jango led Obi to the clone army, so their really was no need for him. Darth Maul served his purpose, so keeping him around made less sense then killing him off and having Obi triumph. Anakin Solo had been a well built up character and lots of people liked him, which gave the above mentioned effect, as well it propelled Jacen and Jaina's characters forward.

As for the deaths in the Unifying Force. I highly doubt Luke, Leia, or Han will go. They were always the main three characters. Ditto from R2-D2 and C-3PO. Wedge is unfortunatly a distinct possibility, same for Corran Horn. They have both been wonderfully developed, but not necessary to the story. I hope Tahiri will die though. I personally think she has been a comepletely useless element in the series. While she is the embodiement of the "Lets Co-exist." theme, i think that she is pretty much a waste of time. Giving her Vongsense kind of ruins Jacen uniqueness, and does nothing for her character. I also highly doubt one of the twins will die. They've evoled into complete oppisites. Jacen being enlightened and quite possibly more powerful then anyone in the galaxy, were Jaina is emotional, reckless, and possible still close to the darkside. I think they'll need each other in the end so that lessens the liklyhood of one of them kicking it,

Dread Pirate Roberts
6 April 2004, 01:21 PM
Just don't kill Plo Koon and i'm happy:)

carth_onasi
12 April 2004, 05:04 AM
lol

When they kill a "cool character" I'm always a little sad. But still, for example Ganner or Chewie, they sometimes have one cool death scene!

Still it's good that they do occassionally kill someone off, otherwise it'd just be boring. After reading Vector Prime with Chewie's death, you wasn't sure what was about to happen next. You weren't sure if your favourite character was going to die or not. I sure as heck throught that Wedge was going to bite it in both Enemy Lines 2 and The Final Prophecy... :wedge: