PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Galaxies

shaitan51
5 September 2003, 04:36 AM
I can't believe all the hype about a game that is utter crap. It was enough that I was disappointed with the pricetag for it ($30 at E&B Gamer), as my initial thought was that it should have been worth more...that is until I played it.

Gameplay wise, it was alright. Not a whole lot to scream about, but it was alright. The controls were responsive enough, but that's where the good stops. Basically, I feel that if you're a huge fan of online gaming than you might want this. Alot of interactions and such keep it from being too lame.
Traveling between towns and cities is mundane. No ships make for a long, tedious treck. I was so bored in fact that I hit my NumLock key and let my character run by himself while I went and watched some TV. While I was gone, my character was attacked twice, and incapacitated once before finally reaching his destination. So, you don't actually have to 'play' the game to actually play the game. How dull....To simplify things: If you want to be a Jedi, do NOT buy this game. If you want to be Taun-Taun Handler #4, then this is the game for you. Hopefully, Lucas Arts improves this game over the next few months......

A haiku I've heard for this game:

Galaxies is lame
Butterflies bent my wookie
I'll not pay for this game

:D

Nova Spice
6 September 2003, 04:45 PM
Gameplay wise, it was alright. Not a whole lot to scream about, but it was alright. The controls were responsive enough, but that's where the good stops. Basically, I feel that if you're a huge fan of online gaming than you might want this. Alot of interactions and such keep it from being too lame.

As a Galaxies player, I'd like to add to this.

-Controls are very responsive. Quite better than other MMO's (save for PlanetSide).
-Interaction and role-playing is excellent. The Galactic Civil War makes this game. Period. It's really cool to see Rebel Wookiees (like myself) squaring off against Trandoshan scum fighting for the Emperor. And the good thing is, most PCs role-play. And every NPC is different and provides very good interaction (unlike every other previous MMO).
-Graphics are the best I've seen in any game (that includes consoles). The very fact that you can see someone's eye color is astounding. The wind whips blades of grass back and forth on Corellia. The reflection of yourself as you stare into a river, makes the game feel real.
-My only gripe is content. And slowly, but surely, they are adding content. More weapons, events, and skills are being added. They're even expanding each planet. And with the creation of player cities, player mounts, and player vehicles, the game will only become better.

Traveling between towns and cities is mundane. No ships make for a long, tedious treck. I was so bored in fact that I hit my NumLock key and let my character run by himself while I went and watched some TV. While I was gone, my character was attacked twice, and incapacitated once before finally reaching his destination.

You've contradicted yourself here, friend. You claim traveling is mundane, yet as you stated, you were attacked twice. Is that not something to break the normal? Traveling is most certainly one of the more entertaining things in Galaxies. Each world is so huge that you see something new everytime you wonder out. There are limitless chances for battle, interaction, and exploration.

If you want to be a Jedi, do NOT buy this game. If you want to be Taun-Taun Handler #4, then this is the game for you.

I'm not gonna argue with this statement. Becoming a Jedi is EXTREMELY rare. As it should be.

Galaxies is a great game. It will never replace the table-top RPG....but it's still the best PC game I've ever played. And I'm a huge Battlefield 1942 and Planetside fanatic.

MrKenpoJr
7 September 2003, 08:12 PM
See, they had things called shuttles in a galaxy far, far away. This shuttle would take you from one city to another city for a few mere coins. Saves you cash on shoe leather. And your only gripe about this game is that you were bored when you had to run across a planet to get to your destination?

So, you don't actually have to 'play' the game to actually play the game
So do monsters just fall over dead when you num-lock your way to the next town? Do blasters make themselves?

How dull....To simplify things: If you want to be a Jedi, do NOT buy this game. If you want to be Taun-Taun Handler #4, then this is the game for you
To simplify things: if you want to be Billy Bad-Ass right out of the box, do NOT buy this game. If you want to create a persona that lives in, and interacts with, the Star Wars universe, then this is the game for you.

Now, that having been said, I disagree with Nova Spice on the point of Jedi. To many of us, Star Wars is Jedi. Personally, I think that customer satisfaction should be placed a shade higher than continuity. Make it a hard quest to become a Jedi, but don't make it random.

The Ghost
8 September 2003, 06:26 PM
to put the Jedi issue in perspective.

because of the setting, i can see why they're rare. i can appreciate them being so.

if they had come out with an old republic game, they'd totally have to be about Jedi. but it would be a different type of game entirely.

Master Tryka
11 September 2003, 07:11 PM
I'll agree whole-heartedly with shaitan51's reprint of everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING that was said on the X-Play review of this game. Glad you voiced someone else's opinion.

Darth Fury
14 September 2003, 06:53 PM
Of the people who play galaxies what processors(type and speed) and operating system??? I'm havingissues with the game and was told it was because I have a 800mhz P III. But I have a hard time believing that because two of my friends play the game, one of them with a 500mhz PIII and the other with a 450 mhz PIII. I'm just curious if this is common or a fluke(BTW they both use XP while I use ME, however I tried XP and ended up with the same problem)

Jedi_Staailis
14 September 2003, 07:12 PM
Darth Fury, the single biggest factor in running a game is your video card. If their video cards are significantly better than yours, and also perhaps if they have more memory than you, then they could get better performance. If you're having problems, you also may want to reduce the detail settings and see if that helps.

The Ghost
14 September 2003, 10:40 PM
AMD 1700
Win 98
512 RAM
GeForce2 video card.
cable modem

few lags unless a ton of people are in one place at one time.

Fred Getce
22 September 2003, 07:37 AM
Powerespec

2.53 gightz Pentium IV
1 GB SDRAM
GeForce IV 64MB Video Card
WINDOWS XP
Cable Modem

Nova Spice
23 September 2003, 06:37 PM
Ditto Fred, absolutely ditto! ;) :D

It's nice having a decent computer for once!

Jedi Master Talon
1 October 2003, 06:57 AM
As far as I know they are coming out with an expansion next year that will let you buy ships, also fight in space battles, have more skills, and they are adding more planets from what I've read. They are doing this so characters can develop themselves more. At least thats what they said oin the website.

Vex
3 October 2003, 06:27 PM
I tried it, and thought it was alright. But it is definatelly not worth the price tag. It dissapointed me.

The Ghost
11 October 2003, 11:10 PM
i just started a new character on a server some friends from work play on. instead of an artisan, i decided to do a medic. it's insane how quickly you can gain experience and get money by being a medic or entertainer. and you don't even have to go out of the city.

definately nice to not have to worry about shooting mutant butterflies just to get stuff done.

Seghast
15 October 2003, 01:49 AM
I like the game pretty good. I don't feel ripped off, though I wish I had just a few more skill points.

I've put a giant bloodthirsty Trandoshan on one server, with Trigger placing a large, blonde drunken wookiee there to pal around with. After I reach commando and he hits ranger, we're going into business. Dirty deeds done not-so cheap. Why?

Because the wookiee needs beer money!

Zanus
25 October 2003, 08:11 PM
Anyone happen to know if they are going to allow specific hand to hand combat forms? I would so love to remake my favorite Asassin character with Teras kasi!

Seghast
28 October 2003, 10:22 AM
Zanus, you can be a master brawler, or shoot to be a Teras Kasi master. I've seen several Teras Kasi masters wandering around, but I've yet to see any in action.