PDA

View Full Version : Mandalore

MrKenpoJr
6 September 2003, 12:56 AM
Hey everyone. We all know what kind of armor Boba Fett wears, but I'm curious about the original people that wore it and where they came from. Now, the only real source of information I have is from the Tales of the Jedi graphic novels, where it tells me that Mandalore was the leader of the warriors that sided with the Krath while Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma had their little 'argument'. Upon the death of the current Mandalore, another takes his place and becomes the new leader. However, I've also heard (and for the life of me I can't remember where I heard it) that Mandalore was also the name of the planet from which they came. Can anyone shed any light on this for me, or at least point me in a good direction? Thanks.

Admiral_Atredies
6 September 2003, 06:30 AM
Try this (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13337&highlight=Mandalorians) thread, this one (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10202&highlight=Mandalorians), and this one (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10763&highlight=Mandalorians), and I'm sure the are several more on the subject if you do a search.

SithSorceror
8 September 2003, 05:33 AM
I was also under the impression that the Mandoloreans were a race of warriors whom the Jedi defeated during the Clone Wars,but nothing is mentioned in the movies about that.

Tramp
8 September 2003, 07:52 AM
Apparently, with the release of AoTC that was changed slightly. Instead of being defeated during the Clone Wars, they were defeated some time before them. Their defeat is handled in one of the Jango Fett comic books.

Darthspectre84
8 September 2003, 08:23 AM
I think i red somewhere that Jango is the last of the Mandalorians after thei defeat. So he became a mercenary. And they kept the original idea about Mandalorians in the Clone Wars cause Jangos clones are there and hence they are in some sense Mandalorians.

Chris Curtis
9 September 2003, 10:02 AM
Quite a bit of the history of the Mandalorians and their war with the Republic/Jedi is dealt with in the game Knights of the Old Republic. It's obviously not canon and it's subject to being overruled by Episode III, but for now it's an official source.

In short summary, a bit after the Exar Kun war (roughly 4000 years before the "current" period) the Mandalorian people (lead by Mandalore) started an invasion of the Republic. They conquered countless wars and pushed the Republic back at every turn. Victory looked imminent. The Republic only won because a small group of Jedi started leading the Republic forces and were able to defeat the Mandalorians in a massive space battle. After that, many of the Mandalorians hired themselves out as mercinaries and bounty hunters.

There's a lot more information in KOTOR.

Vanger Chevane
9 September 2003, 03:40 PM
This makes it possible that the Adumari <i>could</i> be some lost Mandalorian Colony.

Paraphrased from Cracken's breifing of Antilles in the novel X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar:

"They fought with the Old Republic and lost. They were spared as long as they went very far away...

...They have a very violent history, having reduced themselves to savagery at least three or four times, but apparently their teaching recordings survived. Their language is recognizably a dialect of Basic..."

Tramp
9 September 2003, 03:50 PM
Also, KOTOR is part of Canon; it was produced directly by Lucas Arts, so it follows all of the rules of continuity. As far as the Mandelorians go. This means that they have been driven to almost extinction by the Jedi. Once during the time of the ancient Old Republic, and once some time prior to the Clone Wars.

Chris Curtis
10 September 2003, 06:29 AM
KOTOR is part of Canon; it was produced directly by Lucas Arts, so it follows all of the rules of continuity
Don't mean to sidetrack here, but to clear a few things up:

1. It's a Bioware game, not LucasArts. LA obviously had to approve it, though, and thus you're correct that it's subject to the "rules of continuity". Such as they are, at least.

2. It is not canon. Canon material is clearly defined and effectively comes down to being the movies. Depending on whose quote you use, canon also includes the movie novelizations and radio dramas.

While it's not canon, it is official, which puts it at the same level as the RPG, novels, and other video games. Essentially, that means that unless a canon source contradicts it, what the official source says is part of SW history/timeline/whatever.

As far as the Mandelorians go. This means that they have been driven to almost extinction by the Jedi. Once during the time of the ancient Old Republic, and once some time prior to the Clone Wars.

Quite possible. There's certainly nothing (that I'm aware of) that contradicts the supposition that the Mandalorians have been involved in multiple wide-scale wars. KOTOR itself even mentions two such wars: the time I mentioned above when they tried to conquer the galaxy, but KOTOR also mentions how the Mandalorians were involved during the Exar Kun war/situation.

Tramp
10 September 2003, 03:16 PM
Check your PM,s and my Sig for my responce on the Canon issue.

Back on to the topic at hand tough, in TotJ: The Great Sith War , Mandalore challenged Ulic Qe-Droma to single combat, and was defeated. As a result he swore fealty to Ulic and lead his armies against the Republic. With the defeat of his armies at Onderon, he died on the Beast moon Dxun, and one of his warriors took up the mask and mantle of Mandalore.

Lord Darth Vader of the Sith
12 September 2003, 03:55 PM
if you play bounty hunter you get pieces of a comic which shows jangos first mission as a commander and where like 2 thirds of them were killed