PDA

View Full Version : OOC:Newbie questions

Tyrok
6 September 2003, 02:22 AM
Hello all!
I'm new here, and was wondering how stuff work around here.How do I find GMs for adventures, who rolls the dice.....
all that I should know.

Rogue Janson
6 September 2003, 03:02 AM
First off, welcome to the holonet. :)

Here's what to do if you want to join an online game here:
First, it's best to try and see if there are any new games starting up. People normally post in the traders' infonet (http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=6) looking for players, but they'll also start up an OOC thread here too.

If there aren't any games starting up, then try and find an existing one that'll take on a new player (ones that have recently started are best). Ask in their OOC thread, or personal message the GM to see if they'll accept a new player. Some GMs could be a little wary of taking on a new player while they're running a game, especially if it's someone they don't know, but bear with it.

The details of who rolls the dice, what rules are used etc. are all down to the GM in the particular game. Some games here let the players roll the dice, some the GM, others don't use them at all.

I hope you find a game you like and will take you on.

(note for the dgwensen: would a sticky thread with details on how to join games and stuff be a good idea?)

Tyrok
6 September 2003, 04:58 AM
Thanks!
One other thing do I post my sheet in every OOC thread(od games I'm playing) or some place else?

coldskier0320
6 September 2003, 08:26 AM
You'll be playing different characters in every PbP you're in. That said, you'll need different PC stats in each. I don't know about everyone on here, but I prefer stats in the stat block format that the RCRB puts NPCs in. Basically, once you're in a PbP, you'll either post your stat block in the OOC thread or email/PM them to the GM. Another thing many GMs require is a fairly well-formed backstory to your PC, outlining why (s)he is there, what motivates them, etc.

Btw, I second the motion for a PbP FAQ thread that is sticky. Also, Tyrok, thanks for asking these questions before you barge into anyone's thread:). I'm sure you helped other new people too.

Tyrok
6 September 2003, 09:16 AM
No problem:), thank you for asking.
Just tu clear things up.So I can't use one char, and advance him through levels?

Rogue Janson
7 September 2003, 08:37 AM
Not in different games, no.

Tyrok
7 September 2003, 10:56 AM
I see.Thank you.