PDA

View Full Version : New technology

wolverine
3 November 2000, 10:25 AM
OK. I may get some twinkism calls here, but i will post them anyway. 2 Of the below pieces of Tech are native to the Nisstanni races homeworld (guess which 2), one is just an upgrade and the other 2 are strange pieces of tech....

1. GHOST ECM
This new piece of tech, was found, by the Ex-imperial scout Fenris, early on in his career, after a Navigational fubar. Fenris came out of hyperspace, well over 1 standard week from the edge of known space. He came upon a planet, that was entirely mechanical, and had the bodies of living robots on. This and the below piece of tech was found in a building marked for technical research. It took fenris and 8 of the NIF's greatest techs 3 years to make them work.
System: To operate, it requires the user make a difficult starship repair roll to activate. It will NOT WORK if the ships it's installed on is going over half it's rated sublight speed. If it does work, the ship will be undetected by ANY form of sensor system currently available. Although, visual spotting and Ion bursts can drop it, it will make any ship, "cloaked", without the penalty of hindering the ships own sensors (like the cloaking device Thrawn used). Only 7 ships currently have working units on, All 3 huntsman and monitor class Penetrator gunships, and fenris's MRX-BR Pacifier, the behemoth.

2. CHAMELOID CLOAK.
See above for information on the discovery of this tech. This uses a closed loop 3D fdi holographic system to visually masks the ship it is on. It continually scans the sky/background, to get a current picture so it can mask the ship, making it "blend" in with wherever it is. Like the above ghost ecm, it will not work if a ship is going over 50% of it's sublight speed.
System: all that is required to activate it is the flipping of a switch. While it is up, the ship cannot move faster than half it's rated sublight speed, Or use any energy based weapon system, or the masking effect is nullified. While, active, opponents are penalized by +2 column shifts on the difficulty scale (moderate to v.diff), or if at or above heroic, adds +15 to the search roll to spot. If this is combined with Ghost ecm, the ship will be undetectable by anything technological (although the force is unhindered). As above, it is only on 7 ships, and there are currently 6 additional units spare, but there is no price tag as these are not for sale.....

3. PULSE-BURST ION CANNONS
This, technically is not a new tech, as it is a refinement of old tech. Discovered during the Thrawn offensive by Lonar industries, it enhances regular ion cannons making them even deadlier. Lonar sold the design specs and all production models to Fenris after the imperials turned them down. Whether they kept any information is unknown.....
System: these come in 4 sizes, light, medium, heavy and planetary. To upgrade a regular ion cannon, costs 12,500/25,000/55,000/120,000 credits, but the cost is worth it. It also requires a difficult starship weapon repair roll to modify the weapons. Once done, the ion cannon's range is doubled (light, and medium), or increased by half (heavy and planetary), and the damage is increased to 5D+2/7D/9D/13D+2 respectively. It only uses 5% more energy than the standard ion cannon, and is less likely to break.

4. GRAVAMETRIC BOMBS
These bombs are nothing more than Geltiric gems (native to the Nistanni home planet) housed in a shell. When they are exploded or hit their target, they release a low-field em burst, which causes the activation of any fault line in the area. If used against ships, it will do nothing other than shake it up.
System: while there are 3 scale of bombs, they all will only do a set 3D damage against ANY starship that DOES NOT HAVE AN ACTIVE gravity well projector. If the ship does have an active GWP, the damage is 10D, and this will also cause the projector to implode. This and the implosion is sufficient to destroy most capital ships of similar size to the interdictor. If used on a planet (or within the atmosphere of an asteroid), it causes an earthquake of the following intensity/size; starfighter scale - 4.8 Richter rated/3 miles, freighter scale - 5.2 Richter rated/4.5 miles, and capital scale - 6 Richter rated/6 miles. These do exponentially increase with one another as well as with ANY EXISTING FAULT LINE!!

5. EMP WAVE SHELLS
These missiles, are nearly the same as the grav bombs, but they use the Tashiric gems, which are also found on the home planet of the Nistanni. Unlike the above gem, it causes an Electromagnetic pulse to emanate fourth after the gem is destroyed or crushed. Unlike the effect of an ion cannon, it will Destroy any electronic circuitry that has power to it, EVEN those that are in standby mode.
System: There is only 1 scale of these shells, and the NIF has over 3,000 of them at their disposal. They do 7D ionization damage (effectively) to all ships and are not die capped for capital size. The radius of the wave is 5 space units. If used in an atmosphere, the damage and range increase to 10D/50 KM.

NOTE for DM's: All these technologies are for use in a game AFTER the thrawn trilogy, and are in the control of the NIF. They do give the latter 2 tech's to those who serve them, usually only 4 of each.

wolverine
5 November 2000, 12:12 AM
Even if you all hate it, SAY SOMETHING!!!

Grimace
5 November 2000, 10:34 AM
heh heh.

Actually, you have a couple of interesting ideas. A couple of notes. With the gravitmetric bombs, I'd have capital scale create an earthquake with a little more *oomph* in it. 6 on the Richter scale is kinda a jostle, but won't cause too much damage. I would suggest a good 8 or 9...as that would cause good damage. That is, unless you don't want the bombs to do much damage.

The ghost and chameleon field are interesting, though the second is kinda redundant to the first.

A question. How do the scales of the ion cannons convert over? Is Light a character scale or Speeder scale? If it's the latter, then the top end would be Capital. If it's the former, the top end is Starfighter. I'm assuming that the top end is Capital scale....but you know what happens when people assume. ;)

Magnus_Rexif
5 November 2000, 10:47 AM
I kinda like the chameleon shield it has some really nice potential. It can be handy on a parked ship ( i.e. klingon ship in star trek )
the gem bombs are kinda neat to.

Superdog
5 November 2000, 11:16 AM
Interesting indeed.

wolverine
6 November 2000, 12:50 AM
Thanks all. The theory behind the Chameloid was: the race that made it were like the Federation. They liked to observe other's on their own planets but did not wish to interfere, and using this to mask a ship allowed them to do so. As for 1 making 2 redundant, i do not think so. One masks sensors and the other visually....

Ions, are cap OR starfighter. Only the planetry is cap only...

As for the gems, well the earth shaker (as i call the grav) was put that low, so as not to cause too much damage, but remember they EXPOTENTIALLY increase in richtor rating with every additional missile impact And with a fault line (if there is one already there)......... For example. The first game i actually got to use them, the party was hired to scout an unknown planet, and if hostile do what little we could. While there, we found a create with 8 of them (they can be fired from Either the proton torp tube OR the concussion missile launcher) ready for use. Later on during the game, our scout (ME!!!) found that a) there was 3 imperial garrisons, and 2 AT-AT making facilities on the planet. b) 2 of the garrisons and both manufacturing plants were on a dormant fault line. I got the others in the ship, loaded all 4 tubes up, and fired all 8 gravs. Almost cracked the mantle.

Drake al-Thor
10 November 2000, 09:03 AM
I just have to ask since these earth shakers are exponentially based droping 8 on a dorant fualt would do a 10,077,696 richter earthquake so you would have cracked the mantle a 10 is enough to crack to the mantle you did over 1 million times that so you definatly cracked the mantle. Over 10 million miles area so quite possibly you did this all over the planet so techniclly you sent them to a precambrian era of geological history in laymens terms you crispy fried the planet. Ever seen Star Trek 3.

Lokar
11 November 2000, 09:06 PM
Does this cloaking system allow for the use of sensors. You know like in 'trek.

wolverine
15 November 2000, 09:14 AM
Yes, but passive only. Also like the ghost ecm, i cannot go over 1/2 the rated sublight speed (round down for odd numbers....

As for the expotental increase for earthquakes, that is INCORRECT!!!! As per my geologist buddy, (who's mother is an earthquake monitor in LA), when you take the ratings of the E.q.'s, and expotentially increase them IT DOES NOT go by normal math (this is what i was told). I.e. the San-andreas is a 6.4 average richtor rated fault line. If it was expotentialed with itself, it wouldn't even crest 7.0 level........ I know not the math, but i have been showed it (legit stuff). So if any geology majors (or USGC members) are out there, please help;l.....

Nathan
15 November 2000, 12:12 PM
Well, I'm not sure I understand Wolverine's statement that the bombs exponentially increase each other when more than one is used. However, i do know that the Richter scale is a logarithmic scale...similar to the pH scale. Which means you could double a number and it would have very little effect.
So Wolverine's statement that it "does not go by normal math" (What's "normal" math?) is correct.

Lokar
15 November 2000, 04:16 PM
I like the idea of the Gravameteric Bombs. There my kind of super/terror weapons. :D

Form1
15 November 2000, 04:46 PM
Assuming Nathan is correct... a bit of background on logarithmic functions.

Essentially, logs are exponents. When you multiply two terms of the form x^n, you get x^(n+n). Thusly, when you add one to a logarithm, you are mulitplying the result by the base(that is, x).

Nathan's statement about doubling was a bit confusing to me - it is correct, however. For example..

2^n = m
2m = 2^(n+1)

Dave

wolverine
22 November 2000, 06:52 AM
Yea, something like that....

What i was trying to say, is a 5.7 X 5.7 combo makes round 5.9 on the richtor, NOT 25+....

wolverine
16 August 2003, 05:31 AM
Actually got a chance to 'cameo' the scout and huntsman class of these last night, for some local "homies" in london. THey loved them!!! But made one slight change.

Ghost ECM. When engaged, the ship using it, can still use sensors, but at 1 column shift for the difficulty for scan and search. Focus is at +2 column shifts. Passive is at normal.

Errin Orwain
17 August 2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Nathan
Well, I'm not sure I understand Wolverine's statement that the bombs exponentially increase each other when more than one is used. However, i do know that the Richter scale is a logarithmic scale...similar to the pH scale. Which means you could double a number and it would have very little effect.
So Wolverine's statement that it "does not go by normal math" (What's "normal" math?) is correct.

Sorry Nathan, but you are wrong about the Richter scale. Earthquakes progress in strength rapidly in that on the Richter Scale a 2.0 is twice as strong as a 1.0; a 3.0 is twice as strong as a 2.0 and four times as strong as a 1.0, so a 6.0 is 22 times stronger than 1.0, 7.0=44, 8.0=88, 9.0=176 get the idea. Also think about all the 6.2 and 7.1 earthquakes we see in places like Turky and Mexico that kill people by the thousands, whem people say are a 6.0 isn't strong enough and want to see the weapon cause a 9.0 they must not know that a 9.0 in Northern Califorinia would probibly drop most of the Western seaboard from Baja to Alaska into the Pacific. That is how the Richter Scale works, not quite like the pH scale, as a Richter I did want to know about the Richter Scale growing up (if your going to get teased in the 2nd grade you might as well know why), so I just wanted to let you know how it works.

Ardent
18 August 2003, 06:24 AM
Erm. The Richter scale is logarithmic. :/ If you're uncertain of exactly what it is, I'll direct your attention here. (http://www.alertnet.org/thefacts/reliefresources/228751.htm)

When you're talking about raising a magnitude of an explosion by doubling it, you're plotting a much slower course than simply raising it exponentially i.e. the difference between multiplying the number by two (or whatever obligatory number you're inserting) and multiplying the number by itself.

Now, physically, it's a bit of a stretch and, bluntly, none of this stuff really has a place in my campaign which is a bit more "available-tech" for the eras it spans. But if you were interested in a cutting-edge tech sort of campaign, this would probably be the stuff you wanted.

Vanger Chevane
18 August 2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Errin Orwain

Sorry Nathan, but you are wrong about the Richter scale. Earthquakes progress in strength rapidly in that on the Richter Scale a 2.0 is twice as strong as a 1.0; a 3.0 is twice as strong as a 2.0 and four times as strong as a 1.0, so a 6.0 is 22 times stronger than 1.0, 7.0=44, 8.0=88, 9.0=176 get the idea. Also think about all the 6.2 and 7.1 earthquakes we see in places like Turky and Mexico that kill people by the thousands, whem people say are a 6.0 isn't strong enough and want to see the weapon cause a 9.0 they must not know that a 9.0 in Northern Califorinia would probibly drop most of the Western seaboard from Baja to Alaska into the Pacific. That is how the Richter Scale works, not quite like the pH scale, as a Richter I did want to know about the Richter Scale growing up (if your going to get teased in the 2nd grade you might as well know why), so I just wanted to let you know how it works.

I think your scaling is off. If it effectively 2^(R#-1) then you get the progression 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512.

Given that a 6.0 hase a basic strength of 32 & a 9.0 256, this is a vast difference in power.

If it's a Logarithmic scale you're using powers of 10 (Natural Logarithms - Ln - use an irrational number called 'e') where each successive number is 10x stronger than its predecessor. 10^(n-1): 1, 10, 100, 1000, etc.

Errin Orwain
18 August 2003, 06:42 PM
Vanger,
I might have been off a little, I did the math in my head. But I think it gets the ieda accross.

Ardent
18 August 2003, 09:19 PM
Erm, a quick translation: the Richter scale is a pure logarithm. You can, of course, build different logarithms, but that's theoretical math...well...more theoretical than most math, anyway. ^-^

Which always leads to the question: "If all math is theory...how can we be certain of anything?" It's a great way to torture your math teacher.

Sirch Akoras
18 August 2003, 10:42 PM
Ehk.

I have two cloaking technologies that are better than the cameloid and the Ghost combined, and those technologies are used alone. These are both for d20 system.

Blending
- Uses an ultra-powerful sensor mask (Outstanding, 250,000 credits, +15 to DC checks) as well as flat-screen panels (like flat screen TVs now, if you need reference read X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar) linked with video receivers and some holoprojectors.

Basically, the hull is covered with these flat screen panels linked to video receivers on the opposite side of the ship. Through real-time video sending, the recievers on one side send their info to the screen on the other, thus making it damn near invisible to the eye. The holoprojectors and receivers follow the same concept, the holoprojections being over the engines to hide their glow. Then comes the sensor mask.
It's immune to all sensors except CGT and the Force, although very skilled people or people/aliens with uncanning eyesight can detect it. Able to fire weapons and use sensors and go at full speed, although after a volley of weapons is fired they will be caught with active sensors and full engine speed (hence, the group that use this technology has developed ships that destroy their targets in a single volley :-P).
Ships can have this active nearly indefinitely, requiring a three round recharge before allowing 100 rounds of Blending.

Bending (so much different, huh?)
- Uses perfectly made prisms to bend light. Also uses very sensitive sensors (short range).

This one is much better.

The light passes through perfectly made prisms and these prisms bend the light to go over, under, and around the ship, thus ignoring the obstruction between light source and observer. The bent light resumes its previous course on the opposite side of the ship, thus making it invisible to eyesight.
The very sensitive sensors (named Sensor Sensors by a very unoriginal designer) are programmed to detect signals from all types of sensors. These signals and their frequencies are then sent to very small devices controlling a secondary set of prisms designed specifically to bend the energy of the sensor signals in the same when light is bent. Even CGT sensor signals are caught and thus do not detect this ship.
Also with the use of these prisms, engine emissions are sent in all directions, thus making it nearly impossible to detect the energy from the engines.
These prisms, if required, could also be programmed to bend laser, blaster, and turbolaser fire over and away from the ship. Doing so would reveal their location to anyone watching by showing curves in the laser's flight path, so this option is usually turned down.
To communicate between Bended ships, they use a very specific comm frequency with thousands of digits. This frequency is ignored by the prisms and thus can make it through to the ship.
Shield energy is undetectable on these ships in the same way engine emissions are.
Firing a ships weapons reveals the ship's relative location, hence these ships usually fire in bursts, make a radical movement, and then repeat.
Sensors on these ships are used just like the weapons- a sporadic, quick, and intense scan goes out just before weapons fire, then the weapons fire based on that result, and repeat. Sensor Sensors are always on when the cloaking is activated and are a new technology, using frequencies that are so small and so radical that most sensors disregard them. A DC check of 30 is required to detect the Sensor Sensors.
Ships can only have this active for 15 rounds before it must recharge for five rounds.
The Force can detect ships using this technology.

Most people would probably refrain from using these technologies as they are extremely powerful (especially Bending). However, in my campaign all task fleets have at least one ship with CGT sensors and only 1 ship (and its high number compliment of fighters) have Bending.

For anyone interested:
Blending costs 250,000 credits for the Outstanding sensor mask, plus 80,000 credits per meter of the ship's length and 50,000 credits per Ion Engine speed.
Bending costs 1 million credits for the Sensor Sensors and 500,000 credits per meter of the ship's length.

That's over 6 million for most FIGHTERS for Bending. I think it kinda levels out, no? (Note the kinda).

Let the flaming of my designs being munchkin and powergamer, or something of the sort, begin! :D

Errin Orwain
19 August 2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Ardent
Which always leads to the question: "If all math is theory...how can we be certain of anything?"

Indeed, what can we be certain of?

wolverine
9 December 2004, 11:48 PM
So anyone new got ideas/thoughts on these items of tech? Has anyone used any of them??