PDA

View Full Version : Grumble

Josou
10 September 2003, 04:36 AM
Is it just me or does the equippemt and ships in the most recent films EP I & II seem to look more fancy and better then the ships and equipment used by the Empire (yah!!) who were suposed to make technology advances futher then the Old Republic (bah!!)

I mean the trade federation ships are bigger then Imperial-class Star Destroyers, even if they are armed less.

Just a little grumble

Josou
:mad:

Remus Lightforce
10 September 2003, 06:34 AM
No, you're not the only one who is disappointed by how advanced prequel technology is. The ships I don't have much of a problem with, as they're actually quite weak, but it's the Destroyer Droids that concern me. I mean, come on, two of them forced two Jedi to retreat, one of them a Jedi Master, the other one our very own Kenobi. And yet, the Empire doesn't use them.

The shielding also upsets me a bit. If the droids can be shielded like that, so can organics, with just a device on the belt or something, but we never see anything like that (thank goodness).

Major T. Phennir
10 September 2003, 06:55 AM
It is kind of funny, everything in Episode 1 is sleek and shiny and in Episode 2 the Rebulic ships and veichles seemed to be less high-tech. The destroyer droids that faced Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon look bigger that other destroyer droids, maybe the director wanted them to seem menacing but they look like their about 7-8 feet tall and the ones the Gugans fight are only about 5-6 feet tall.

Rogue Janson
10 September 2003, 09:19 AM
This is an entirely conscious design decision though. The Republic era ships, buildings and technology are meant to have a sleek, crafted, classical look, while the Empire era stuff is meant to be industrial, angular and unpleasant looking. This symbolically represents the two eras.

Even in the two prequels that we've seen, the progression is there. The naboo ships is pure Old Republic design. The republic consular vessel is mid-way. The trade federation freighters are industrial and aren't sleek, but they are at least round.
Then move on to epII. The acclamators are pure star destroyer. Even the Jedi starfighter is triangular to mirror the star destroyer shape (this is specifically mentioned in one of the DVD extras).

We don't really see any remnants of the Old Republic in the OT - probably they'll be largely gone in epIII. The closest is Cloud City, which remains a free outpost (until it's taken over).

Of course we don't know how prequel technology actually matches up to OT stuff.
In 'pure' Star Wars there is no technological progress, the great Republic embodies the pinnacle of everything and things can only go downhill. Many people think the Empire did plunge the galaxy into a 'technological dark age'.

BrianDavion
10 September 2003, 11:25 AM
also sleek and sexy does NOT mean technologicly advanced.

my dad's 1970 MGB converatable sure as h ell looks sleek and sexy, yet there are plenty of cars that don't look as nice that came later and are more advanced.

another thing to keep in mind re: the look of the prequals is WHERE we are.

in theoriginal treilogy all the action took place with a buncha rebels in the outer rim, the action in the prequals tends to revolve around highly funded agents of the republic from the core worlds.

as for destroyer droids. there may be a reason they aren't in use any more.

as someone pointed out,sheilds seem to be rare on most destroyers. also the cost may be prohibitive.

also the empire's tatics are very much blitzkreig,. hell a friend of mine once remarked when we examined the grand army of the republic, andc the empire's tsatics that they seem to be based on one over riding concept. "Shock and Awe"

the empire is hard hitting and MOBILE. destroyers gotta stand in place to shoot.

Dr_Worm
10 September 2003, 12:00 PM
as for destroyer droids. there may be a reason they aren't in use any more.

Well neither the emperor, nor vader, can control the minds and actions of droids like they can humans. If I could read a human's (or othe biological's) mind then I would surround myself with them so I could no be surprised. Additionally Zahn introduces the idea that the Emperor increased the effectiveness of his soldiers through the force, this he could not do with a droid.

Darth_Cassed
10 September 2003, 01:11 PM
Well I'm gonna have to sound off once again, citing that technology fell when the Empire took over, and never really recovered. My example is hyperdrives, the Acclamator Class cruisers are almost as fast as the Millennium Falcon!!

Perhaps this was the Empire's attempt at stopping people from escaping them.

BrianDavion
10 September 2003, 02:01 PM
My example is hyperdrives, the Acclamator Class cruisers are almost as fast as the Millennium Falcon!!

Acclamator class cruisers have a modest 2x rated hyper drive.

Darth_Cassed
10 September 2003, 07:16 PM
According to the Incredible Cross-Sections book for Attack of the Clones, an Acclamator Class Cruiser has a .6 rated hyperdrive.

I really should know this, but I don't. I don't know if there are any stats on the Acclamator, so for the moment I am using what's printed in that book.

Using that data, the fall in technology is clearly visible. The rifles the Clone Troopers use are huge, their long rifles are almost 3/4 long as they are tall!

Remus Lightforce
10 September 2003, 07:25 PM
Why, Prequels, why???

The technology issue sucked, but my main, absolute pet peeve that I REFUSE to acknowledge even though it's technically canon:

MIDICHLORIANS. OMG Worst idea EVER! Yeah, these little organisms connect you to the Force. Your force ability is set in stone forever and isn't even mystical at all by the number of them in your blood.

What a bunch of CRAP!

....*huff, puff*

Heh heh....Hi everyone!

BrianDavion
10 September 2003, 08:43 PM
"According to the Incredible Cross-Sections book for Attack of the Clones, an Acclamator Class Cruiser has a .6 rated hyperdrive. "

yes and other sources say a 2 rated hyper drive. I'll take the saner idea of the two.

Josou
11 September 2003, 12:23 AM
Im a D6 player and one of my gumbles is that the equipment that the old republic (bah!) use is almost as powerful - moreso in some settings - then that used by the glorious Empire

Josou
:isd:

MassassiC
11 September 2003, 01:53 AM
the equipment that the old republic (bah!) use is almost as powerful - moreso in some settings - then that used by the glorious Empire
The first part of this is like comparing a bow with a crossbow, they are different technologies but on about the same level.
Now compare them with the magnum that is a Star Destroyer, the Uzi that is the Super Star Destroyer, and the Rocket Launcher that is the Death Star. Viewing it like this you begin to realise that, yes, the Imperial craft aren't as sleek and elegant as the Old Republic vessels, but what they lack in style they make up for with really big and powerful guns :)
As a side-note, how many fighter-scale ships do you see in the Prequals able to use a hyperdrive without any 'plug-ins' like the Jedi Starfighter? (And I would like film references, not EU references). As far as I am aware (I don't have the books with me) the Naboo fighters don't have hyperdrive technology as I think I read that the diplomatic cruiser seen at the start of Episode II had to allow the fighters to attach onto it for hyperspace travel.

Rogue Janson
11 September 2003, 03:15 AM
To put things another way, imagine the looks and technology of the prequels and OT were flipped. So the Old Republic looked industrial and run-down, while the Empire looked sleek and efficient.

Clearly that wouldn't work, since it would make the Empire look nice and the OR bad.

MassassiC
11 September 2003, 07:29 AM
Well there's always going to be the case of style assisting mood for thematic (sp?) settings such as Star Wars. Bad guys use weapons which have red energy, good guys use the other two primary colours (since primary colours are easier to rotascope in during the beginnings of special effects).
I personally was just focusing on the raw power of each era.

To clarify;
fancy != better
(fancy does not equal better, for those who didn't get that one)

Darth_Cassed
11 September 2003, 04:43 PM
Hmmmmm....yes that is odd.....two different listings. However I'm gonna have to say it does have a 2x for now, since that is RPG material it's coming from.