PDA

View Full Version : Jedi names like Qui-gon and Obi-wan

Jeskan
10 September 2003, 04:32 PM
My friend brought it to my attention that the Jedi name like Obi-wan, Qui-gon, Jai-ken, and Sol-mar are givin to padawans who are orphans. Do you think that souns right? I know Depa is a Chalactin name and Mace was givin to him before he was givin to the Jedi but it makes sense with everyone else. If anyone can prove that right or wrong, please tell me.

Spicemonger3
10 September 2003, 05:28 PM
uhmm Anakin got to keep his own name.

Darth_Cassed
10 September 2003, 07:22 PM
I'm pretty sure a name is a name, they each have their own significance whether it's their original one or not. I don't believe there's a trend there.

Faraer
11 September 2003, 12:22 AM
We have no particular reason to think those are 'Jedi names' (though it can't be demonstrated that they're not).

Ardent
11 September 2003, 06:32 AM
Wouldn't the Jedi Order re-name a child unless their species or culture had some taboo associated with the renaming of a child? I mean, distancing a Jedi from their worldly ties is part of the Jedi Order doctrine. It seems like Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi are given names when the two were recruited into the Order. They probably don't know their real names, if they had one at all.

Jeskan
11 September 2003, 06:45 AM
I don't think you understand. The names are givin to orphans who's parents are not known of. There birth names would not be known

Ghengis Ska
11 September 2003, 01:06 PM
Hey when did Obi-wan become and orphan?

i believe in the Jedi Apprentice or Jedi Quest line of books there is a mention of him meeting his family at one time when he was younger.
Jedi candidates are taken when young from families that willing give them over to the force, then when the child matures they are basicaly given the same choice do you want to continue to be a Jedi or leave the orginization I believe it is mentioned in the books that this happeaned with Obi, he wa taken, allowed to met his and shown his birht family so that he could see what he was giving up and allowed to make the choice himself stay in the temple or go to this other life. The Jedi would never force anyone to stay being a Jedi...

And this is most likely the case for the majority of Jedi, they have a name already. The specificaly mention it with the whole Baby Lundi thing, becasue she was an oddity and found as an "orphen", but i don't think it is the norm. In TPM Qui-gon states something to the effect that had Anakin been born in the republic he would have been tested at birth... it's hard to be tested at birth and be an Orphan at the same time, both parents would have to have died right before the child is born...

KenobiJim
13 September 2003, 04:08 PM
Well just to be annoying ummm, Anakin isn't an orphan anyway. His mother was known (if not his dad...) and maybe his dad was known if you can figure out which midichlorian (GASP!) is responsible for Shmi getting with child...

Reverend Strone
21 September 2003, 05:35 PM
Keep it clean.

Snowtiger
4 October 2003, 11:11 AM
I concur that a name is a name is a name, and that one's given name(s) shouldn't be an issue of their social standing, occupation or something other if the names are not restricted by cultural beliefs, caste systems or estabilished social rules.

Family name is usually the one that changes (regardless of whether it is written before or after the given name(s)), either from marriage, social ruling or a caste system(being lowered or raised in social standing changes the caste dependant perfix/suffix or other addition to the family name).

If an orphan is found, the matter is in the hands of the government or the religious/other group the child is risen under. It is always nicer to be called with a name of your own, than just to be referred as a number or a code in the database of some orphanage, or even worse, to be called "you" or "slave" for the rest of your life.