PDA

View Full Version : Species Question?

Karak87
14 September 2003, 08:01 AM
Hey, does anyone know what species normally serve in the New Republic Military?

Darth_Cassed
14 September 2003, 08:07 AM
Kind of a broad question there Karak87. I'm pretty sure the New Republic Military is chock full of humans, but they accept any species into their ranks, unlike the Empire.

Bothans, Mon Calamarians, Humans, Sullustans, Wookiees....those may be some of the bigger species clusters in the military.

Darth Fierce
14 September 2003, 08:16 AM
From what I've seen in comics and novels, Duros also play an integral part of the New Republic military. Like Darth Cassed said, the answer for your question is going to be pretty broad. I could see Zabraks, Rodians, Elomin, and Quarren also possibly serving in the military, just to name a few races. Oh, and keep in mind we see a Dresselian (that prune-faced looking guy in ROTJ) serving the Rebellion during that era. One might assume that the Dresselians would continue a relationship with the military upon the formation of the New Republic. That should help you out a bit.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Darth_Cassed
14 September 2003, 09:21 AM
Here's a good rule of thumb: Those species that fought in the Rebellion, they're automatically in the New Republic and its military. Any other speceis may join, some easier than others, but those that fought are guaranteed in, and the most represented in the military.

Think of it as the European Union a little bit. The founders of it are guaranteed a little control, and any other nation in Europe may join. However, to join may require something of your country. It may require ridding yourself of the death penalty. But you're not excluded totally with no chance of joining.

Kanner Ra'an
14 September 2003, 09:22 AM
More then you can count. I imagine that they get soldiers from the majority of member planets (aside from ones that obviously wouldn't, say pasifists and such). The most prevalent are the Mon Calamari, humans, bothans, and Duros.

Jim Williams
14 September 2003, 09:31 AM
I'm vaguely rememberingall the Rogues.

Bothans
Twi'lek
Rodian
Gand
Mon Cal

too many to count. Also hard to know when it was an individual's choice to serve the NR and when it was accepted custom for the entire species...

Darth_Cassed
14 September 2003, 09:35 AM
Well I agree with Jim Williams and Kanner Ra'an, so let's just institute this rule:

Basically any and all species in the Star Wars galaxy, that are from the Star Wars galaxy, are represented in the military, save those species whom are pacifistic or otherwise do not leave their homeworld.

Karak87
14 September 2003, 10:01 AM
Wow!
I just posted the question this morning.

Thnx, this is just what i needed.

Rogue Janson
14 September 2003, 10:55 AM
I think everyone's pretty much covered things.

Any planet that joins the New Republic will likely have citizens serving in its armed forces.

I'd say the main species in the NR armed forces are:
Humans; Duros; Bothans; Twi'lek; Mon Calamarians*; Sullustans.
(*probably serving primarily in the navy, rather than the army.)

There may be some rare occasions where species are not able to join the armed forces, for example if they are far too violent, or psychologically unable to accept authority. But I'm not sure if any of the species that make up the NR would be covered by this, and it could always be done on an individual by individual basis. Since there are a great variety of roles available, there's always likely to be one that a species is suited for. For example, especially large species would be excluded from the starfighter corps, but would make ideal ground troops.

Ardent
14 September 2003, 11:19 AM
Well, you can think about the species who had members who played a large role in the New Republic's foundation...we'll ignore humans since they're obvious.

In the Navy: Mon Calamari, Duros, Givin, Dresselians...

In the Army: Nikto, Wookiees, Noghri...

In the Starfighter Command: Pretty much every species that has spaceflight capability. This seems to be the most acceptable choice for members of species that don't normally get involved in military service.

Special Operations and Special Forces have patchwork compositions by their nature as an elite service branch, so even trying to figure it out is pretty pointless.

Nova Spice
14 September 2003, 11:38 AM
I can give you some aliens that are not in the New Republic military:

-Ssi-ruuk
-Charon
-Yevetha
-Yuuzhan Vong

I'd say everything else is fair game. :P

Tramp
14 September 2003, 08:12 PM
I'd also say that Hutts would not be found in the New Republic military. They're too busy running their criminal empires.:D

Rogue Janson
15 September 2003, 02:05 AM
What about Hoojibs and Kowakian Monkey Lizards?

Darth Fierce
15 September 2003, 04:24 AM
Are Kowakian Monkey Lizards even sentient? If not, then I'd say no (unless you count them among the same level of Nek Battle Dogs).

Darth Fierce
15 September 2003, 04:49 AM
I happened to think about a couple of other species that would be unlikely to serve in the NR Military except under extremely unusual circumstances:

1. Ubese -- given how much they hated the Old Republic, they'd be unlikely to be willing to serve in the New Republic Military.

2. Colicoids -- no one wants to bunk with someone who might eat you as a midnight snack.

Another species likely to serve in the military is the Iotran species (their whole culture revolves around the military).

Rogue Janson
15 September 2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Darth Fierce
Are Kowakian Monkey Lizards even sentient? If not, then I'd say no (unless you count them among the same level of Nek Battle Dogs).

They're semi-sentient, apparently, but imagine a regiment of them advancing towards you.

Ardent
15 September 2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Rogue Janson
They're semi-sentient, apparently, but imagine a regiment of them advancing towards you.

That is a truly and grotesquely horrifying thought. Now I have to live with it for the rest of the day. Thanks, Janson.

AzmoDanakar
15 September 2003, 10:22 AM
The Iotran Expanse is one of the few areas of space where even the Empire didn't care to tread. The Hapans also were not subjugated by the Empire. I don't know if in the EU books the Iotrans were convinved to join the NR, that would be a very good addition, they would have much to offer the emerging military.
As far as Colicoids, ::shudder:: these flesh eaters scare me but good.
And Monkey-Lizards.. well the protocol droids would be afraid..
My personal picks for strike teams and species members in the NR would include most of the species in the UAA. It would be easier to list the ones that I would not allow.
The NR is probably the least restrictive of any era when it comes to species options.
An NPC rebellion era commando team in my campaign is made up as such:
Duros Soldier
Bothan Infilitrator
2 Humans (Pilot, Techie)
Bith Slicer
Ithorian Force Adept
Wookiee Soldier
With the NR species options I would be able to add or swap out with Noghri, maybe Caamasi or who knows what.

Major T. Phennir
15 September 2003, 10:26 AM
While I sure there would be a good many Mon Calamari, I don't think that there would be too many enlistments because the Mon Calamari were originally peaceful and only fought because it was needed. While the Mon Calamari did give the ships up to be converted it was very hard for them.

Rogue Janson
15 September 2003, 11:16 AM
That's a good point, but I do think Mon Calamarians make up at least a large proportion of the crews serving on their ships, since the new ones remain tailored to mon cal physiology.
The Mon Calamarians are peaceful but not pacifists; so while military service wouldn't be particularly popular, I'm sure there are enough that realise it is necessary to protect the New Republic.

Ardent
15 September 2003, 02:02 PM
That's a good point, but I do think Mon Calamarians make up at least a large proportion of the crews serving on their ships, since the new ones remain tailored to mon cal physiology.
The Mon Calamarians are peaceful but not pacifists; so while military service wouldn't be particularly popular, I'm sure there are enough that realise it is necessary to protect the New Republic.

Add to the fact that Mon Calamari are the most qualified species to work as technicians about naval vessels...well...you get the point, I guess. While Mon Calamari WERE a relatively peaceful society prior to the GCW, I think it's safe to say that they're now pretty used to being in the line of fire. Something about being a slave race tends to cauterize a population for action.

Admiral_Atredies
15 September 2003, 02:56 PM
Though they are a peaceful species, I wouldn't be suprised to see a few Ithorians in the Military. After all, the Mon Calimari were a very peaceful race, but they were full of passion for a just cause, something I can see in the Ithorians. Of course, they would probably be medics, tactitians, or other support personel. Also, Chadra-fan and mayhaps Gran could serve in much the same capacity.

Tramp
15 September 2003, 03:06 PM
What about Hoojibs and Kowakian Monkey Lizards?

Kowakian Monkey Lizards are only semi-sentient, so no, you would not find them in the mikitary, except maybe as a pet. or mascot. Hoojibs don't really get involved in galactic affares so we can pretty much rule them out as well

Darth_Cassed
15 September 2003, 06:32 PM
Keep in mind some races were wiped out or nearly wiped out during the Clone Wars and all of that jazz, so some of those species may not still be running around.

Darth Fierce
16 September 2003, 04:27 AM
I just read something last night that made me wonder if my past comment on the Iotrans would be true. During Imperial times, the Iotrans openly supported the Empire due to the Iotrans "might makes right" mentality. Therefore, I wonder if the race would even be invited to enlist in the New Republic military, given how for most of its existence, the New Republic stood on the brink of destruction due to the Empire (and was "destroyed" by the Yuuzhan Vong).

Darth_Cassed
16 September 2003, 03:57 PM
You could throw any alien you want into the NR military and be right? A Vong you say? Vua Rapuung ring a bell? Circumstances are individual, any member of any race can have a reason to be in the NR military.

Darth Fierce
17 September 2003, 04:37 AM
To some extent, you're right Darth Cassed, individual choice is important regarding whether a being would choose to serve the New Republic. However, from what I understand, Vua was not necessarily a supporter of the New Republic as much as he was a disillusioned Yuuzhan Vong who made a choice to aid the Jedi. Nonetheless, I suppose you could choose to play a traitor against the Yuuzhan Vong for the New Republic or the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances (and I am assuming we probably will see more Yuuzhan Vong fighting along side our heroes as the NJO novels come to a close).

Darn, there was another species I had thought of that would be unlikely to serve in the military, but now I can't remember which species it was. I'll let you all know if I can think of it again.

Oh, now I remember!!! I don't think that you'd find many (if any) Anzati within the ranks of the New Republic Military.