PDA

View Full Version : Jedi campaign, need advice...

Jedi Cahlwyn
14 September 2003, 05:31 PM
Due to my wants and my player's interest, I am working on starting a "Jedi" campaign. I definately want to base it in the New Republic/New Jedi Order timeframe. That is because Luke's students have a lot more freedom in running around by themselves and getting into trouble (i.e. The Young Jedi Knights series...), also, I won't have to have a Jedi Master for each player, so it won't have those issues.

I know that I want to start it before the NJO. They will be new students to Luke's academy on Yavin IV. When they become Jedi Knights, they will hit the Yuuzhan Vong time frame.

Now, I can't decide if I want them to start as Jedi Consular/Guardian at level 1 and just say that they spent a few years there as younger children (ala Young Jedi Knights), OR have them all start as any non-Jedi class (including Force Adept) and all come there as young adults (ala Luke's first couple classes of students) and multi-class into one of the two Jedi classes at 2nd level.

Any thoughts, advice, etc.? I'm looking for any opinions on the subject.

Thanks!

Spicemonger3
14 September 2003, 05:43 PM
Ask them if they would prefer being 1st level Jedi or come into the training a little later in life. As far as starting at 1st level Jedi who's to say Luke didn't identify FS children for induction into his "second or third" group of students. Either way you choose to go has it's pros and cons. The other benefit of having all of their first level being Jedi it is easier to justify them all being FS and together (ie met in acedemy) than 3 or 4 people that all happen to be FS and also happen to know each other.
Just my thoughts.

BrianDavion
14 September 2003, 06:32 PM
also even if they didn't enter taining till like 18 they still might be 1st level JGs.

Jedi Cahlwyn
14 September 2003, 07:52 PM
That's true. I also toyed with the idea of everyone making a Commoner and since I'm the only one versed in Star Wars lore past the movies, I could introduce some roleplaying events to cover their training. Each stage builds up something else until they are full-fledged level 1 heroes. That is something they'd go for.

Anyways, any other comments on my original post?

Dr_Worm
14 September 2003, 08:22 PM
I am a firm beliver of not forcing the characters in to a mold for the adventure. Give them a level that they start at, and a limit as to how many Jedi level they can have, and let them decide how forcy they want to be.

Rogue Janson
15 September 2003, 02:12 AM
I agree with the doctor. There's no reason all the characters have to be one way or t'other. Give them a level to start at, the background information they need and maybe a little help coordinating character, then let the players decide what they want.

Some people like starting Jedi with non-Jedi classes, others don't (it can be a little messy).

Ardent
15 September 2003, 09:31 AM
I've found 3rd level to be the level to start at, particularly with Force-users. They have two of their Force feats in place, and a quick glance at just these two feats can give you an idea of the player/character's personality.

In addition, you've passed most of the integral master-student time. But you haven't passed the learning stage. They won't be offended by the idea of a Jedi master looking over their shoulders every once in a while.

Make sure you let them build towards whatever sort of character they want, but also make it clear dark side characters aren't acceptable. They're supposed to be heroes in the New Jedi Order, so succumbing completely to the dark side is unacceptable.

giulliano
19 September 2003, 08:53 AM
You could give a more unique feel to each character buy having them start in several classes. I always start the game telling all my players a little bit about the campain, world, setting, era. After that I ask them what they want to do in the group and then, after we decide what each character will be I ask them to write a short story of their history (one or 2 A4 pages will do).
After I have read all of the short stories I talk with each player to make some ajustments according to what I am planning for them in the campain. I also give them some experience points for the quality of their stories.
So you could have some of them starting as jedis, having some training with light saber and the force, and other being only force sensitive and becoming jedi on the second level.

Good Luck with your campain.

Giulliano
:bothan:

Lord Darth Vader of the Sith
21 September 2003, 12:30 PM
have them find out about something and maybe they like run off and have adventures like the solos and find problems of their own to solve. because they leave a lot of ideas floating around when they talk about the jedi acedamy

Jedi Master Talon
25 September 2003, 06:57 AM
I would let them choose what Jedi class they want to be because you'll get more variety that way. That's what I use to do.

Errin Orwain
9 October 2003, 11:02 AM
I would start them at third or fourth level. Just to keep things interesting I would ask them to have at least one non-jedi level to represent their past experiences before comeing to Skywalkers Jedi Acadamy. I would probibly start the campaign about five years before the Vong invasion to give the players time to get their charicters to about eighth level [jedi knights by then] and turn them loose on the Vong [or maybe the other way around]!