PDA

View Full Version : Comments on the Bounty Hunter Wars (trilogy)

Deck
15 September 2003, 01:08 AM
Hello my dear fellows,

I must admit that it took really long until I finished reading these three books, much longer than it usually takes me to read a Star Wars novel. The reason for this is - on my side - that I didn't really enjoy reading these books. There are many aspects that make these books not a pleasure to read, in my opinion.

The books are full of intigues, too many to follow all of them when reading the books for the first time, and the author really enjoyed to add more and more intrigues. He introduced another character - and what could he do? Of course! Start another intrigue! Very original by the author...

The plot itself is very, very <b>very</b> long-winded, from that suffering excitement and tension, and your nerves of course. I thinknit would be possible to pack all three volumes into one more exciting book. And all those history sequences in the books even contribute to the confusion caused by all those intrigues.

Okay, I agree that Boba Fett is a brilliant Bounty Hunter, but he's not a God as presented in the books. It are the small things that disturbed me while reading. Oh he has only one more breath of oxygen in the cockpit. Several pages later he still takes another last breath. His ship - rather Bossk's - is heavily damaged and would not survive another hit. During the next pages it still gets hit and hit.

Agreed, I will stop ranting here, but what did you think when you read the books? Did you enjoy them much or didn't you? Chose an option from tne poll, and feel free to let us know your own comments and feelings about the books!

Thanks for your interest. :)

wolverine
15 September 2003, 02:47 AM
I didn't mid all the plots within plots. But i did have a problem with lack of continuity..

Master Dao Rin
15 September 2003, 05:34 PM
I'd have to concur with Wolverine - didn't mind the plots, but the continuity was bad and the indepth delving into Fett's psyche was rather pendantic.

Ronin
16 September 2003, 07:04 PM
I liked the stuff on Kuat, but yeah.....Fett was a little too amazing.

Spicemonger3
16 September 2003, 07:24 PM
Man what is the name of that huge spider thing that instigated alot of the plots within plots. And the littlle accountant node. I loved how arrogant that thing was.

Nova Spice
16 September 2003, 07:38 PM
I've read every EU novel to date, and the Bounty Hunter War trilogy is the worst excuse for Star Wars literature on the market.

-Long-winded plot that is unspectacular
-Boring character interaction
-Chock full of continuity errors
-Light on action
-Unrealistic character interpretations

Easily a 1 out of 5 on my scale, if that. There's close to 80 Star Wars novels, and there's seventy-odd better ones than these three. ;)

Jedivisionary
19 September 2003, 06:21 PM
We get to see Prince Xizor again!

Seeing a non-Jedi (Boba Fett) be that tough ought to be a welcome change of pace for those who are always complaining about the power level of Force users.

The Kuat intrigue was great!

The spider-race was awesome.

Major T. Phennir
20 September 2003, 08:22 AM
I might be wrong but I do think that the spider-thing is called an Assembler. Apparently Boba Fett is one of the few people that know anything about it.

Darth Fury
20 September 2003, 09:08 AM
I bought and read the first book of the trilogy, and found it dry and longwinded (this comming from someone who loves Robert Jordan) and I agree that Fett seamed way too good one man with his limited arsenal could not take out an entire Imperial Garrison, walkers included, without serious back-up....I hope I'm thinking of the right novel:?

Lord Darth Vader of the Sith
21 September 2003, 12:27 PM
the Arachnid assemblers name was Kud'ar Mub and his sucessor was blancesheet

Ronen Tal-Ravis
22 September 2003, 06:31 AM
I don't like it either. The plots and intrigues seem to be widend artificially as is the mystery about that woman who accompanies Fett. I also did not like this overestimation of Fett, after all it was pretty easy to get him into Sarlacc's claws.
The characters presented were not very interesting either. The appearances of Kuat and this Spider are far to long and uninteresting. And after such a long read even the most unique character ideas gets boring.

Codym
22 September 2003, 11:20 AM
It isn't the worst of the SW novels, but nor could I concider it a "good" novel. The plot twisted back on itself, too many reduntant characters, the motives of the characters were too murky, even after the climax, Dengar was badly used etc... But my many problem was Fett - he never shuts up! Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! This from a character who barely says anything during the movies, and when he does is alway direct to the point.

Didn't have a problem with how good Fett was on the technical and tatical level compared to his fate in Jedi, after all it makes sense that it would take pure dumb luck to take down the galaxy's greatest bounty hunter. I still waiting for a truly good OT Fett novel, or even a pre-AOTC Jango one.

Codym
22 September 2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Darth Fury
I bought and read the first book of the trilogy, and found it dry and longwinded (this comming from someone who loves Robert Jordan) and I agree that Fett seamed way too good one man with his limited arsenal could not take out an entire Imperial Garrison, walkers included, without serious back-up....I hope I'm thinking of the right novel:?

Sounds more like the short story from Tales of the New Republic with the garrison incursion. It was a little far fetched, but that story was supposed to be tongue-in-check.

Trandoshan Jedi
19 October 2003, 08:45 AM
I loved the books! They were great! Well, yeah Boba was just alittle too great, but the books are still very good and well written. The parts I liked the best were the spider guy, Kuat, and the parts with Bossk. I, personally, think Bossk would have been more interesting to write a book or a trilogy of books on. I mean, where else are there Trandoshan characters?
PS:Trandoshans Rock!

Regis
23 October 2003, 08:10 PM
Man, I couldn't even get through the second book, they were so bad.

Yeah, they had a few good parts, but overall, I'd say "lacking" isn't quite sufficient as an adjective.

Darth Fury
24 October 2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Codym

Sounds more like the short story from Tales of the New Republic with the garrison incursion. It was a little far fetched, but that story was supposed to be tongue-in-check. +

Thats right, :o Opps!! I re-read the first novel and I still didn't care for the series.