PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars OT in 2004 on DVD?

maxkuney
18 September 2003, 07:59 AM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=1539

Special Edition versios, so we'll still have to watch Greedo shoot first. It would be great, although I'll believe it when I see it. Still, they are releasing Indiana Jones, so maybe it will happen.

Max

dgswensen
18 September 2003, 08:30 AM
The Digital Bits reports that Lucasfilm may be releasing the Star Wars trilogy on DVD next year to build buzz for the release of Star Wars: Episode III in May, 2005.

The prequels have been compared, very unfavorably, to the Original Trilogy since TPM first came out in 1999. I don't know if releasing the originals to build buzz for Episode III is such a hot idea. Frankly I'd wait and put out an ad campaign that would go something like: "Remember when Star Wars used to be good? Now you can own the magic.... again."

Okay, so... maybe I'm just a little bitter.

cheshire
19 September 2003, 06:19 AM
I always figured that Lucasfilm would do something really stupid like only realease a six or seven DVD set for the Star Wars saga, and not release the OT without the new. Or, they would produce a bonus DVD for those buying the entire saga. So, I'm kind of refreshed at the idea of being able to buy the OT separate.

SithSorceror
27 September 2003, 09:10 PM
All I can say is "Oh,thank the maker!" Film maker that is.Who cares who shot first,we are only hung up on that because it was in a Jay and Silent Bob flick.Star Wars is Star Wars and I love Star Wars.Besides I really hate having to rewind a VHS tape so go DVD!

dgswensen
27 September 2003, 11:15 PM
No, I hated Greedo shooting first the very instant I saw it. It practically ruins the whole movie for me.

Unless the OT DVDs have a ton of extra stuff on them, I might just give them a pass.

BrianDavion
27 September 2003, 11:24 PM
greedo shooting first sucked because it ruined Han. the greedo shooting scene was a crucial role to Han's development as a chartcer, GL decided to change it because shooting greedo "wasn't a good thing" OF COURSE IT WASN'T THAT WAS THE POINT!

Vanger Chevane
28 September 2003, 06:48 AM
I agree Han shooting Greedo under the table after the Rodian pretty much forced the situation without drawing a gun really established Han as a scoundrel/criminal with a dedicated self-interest instead of the campy Misguided Hero in the SE. It also helps reinforce Obi-Wan's statement about Mos Eisley being a "Wretched hive of Scum and Villainy", rather than some village near the Mafia's Summer Retreat.

"He was gonna shoot me anyway, so I shot first. Sorry about the mess." :P

Greedo also comes across as a pretty pathetic threat if he can't hit someone sitting 2 feet right in front of him.

Swinging back to the topic, I'm not sure if I'll get IV-VI on DVD either. Kinda need a DVD player first....

Jim Williams
28 September 2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by SithSorceror
All I can say is "Oh,thank the maker!" Film maker that is.Who cares who shot first,we are only hung up on that because it was in a Jay and Silent Bob flick.Star Wars is Star Wars and I love Star Wars.Besides I really hate having to rewind a VHS tape so go DVD!

Me too.

I just totally blank that scene out anyway and enjoy the rest of the show.

For the record, however...

Doesn't he have ANYONE close to him going, "Errr, George, dude, that idea, you know, well, it sucks. What are you thinking?"

Or maybe he used to and they clammed up when someone suggested he shouldn't direct his own movies and they got canned
:(

dgswensen
28 September 2003, 10:52 AM
I wish he did.

I have to be honest, in some ways I wish the Special Editions had never happened. There are moments out of them that I really like, such as the new ending to ROTJ and some of the enhanced spaceship scenes. However, most of the Special Edition "improvements" strike me as misguided and sloppy.

For example:

The aforementioned Greedo scene. It just looks bad. Greedo's arm looks clumsy, that shot should not have missed, and the timing is all off. If it had been an actual scene that they'd shot in 1977, it would have (or should have) ended up on the cutting room floor as far too sloppy to be in the movie. Yet there it is. Yes you can "blank it out" -- but we shouldn't have to.

The scene with Jabba and Han. Sure, it's a neat idea, but Jabba doesn't look all that great (he looks completely different in every movie now), Han stepping on his tail is goofy-looking and really runs against Jabba's character (awfully nice guy to let someone WALK ON YOU while you deliver death threats -- real effective), and also takes some intensity out of the "we're a little rushed so if you'll just get on board" scene. I think the movie is better off without it.

The spaceship scenes. Don't get me wrong. I love the new sequences. But it makes the old, unaltered ones stand out WAY more in terms of how the FX have aged. IMHO, if he was going to change them, he should have changed all of them, in ANH anyway.

Also -- and I know this is a minor quibble to some -- adding a scream to Luke's fall in ESB really ruins that moment, too. I loved his quiet, firm resolve as he had made his decision to die rather than join Vader. Instead, he shrieks like a little girl as he falls. And not only that -- listen carefully to the sound bite sometime -- it's the SAME exact sound bite as the Emperor falling down the shaft in ROTJ. They were so lazy they couldn't even find a new sound effect, they have to recycle an old one? It was just tacked on there. Pathetic.

And last but not least, the poor Vader imitation and the changed line at the end of ESB. Not only do they change a perfectly good line ("bring my shuttle") and replace it with a much weaker one, but they can't even get a decent voice actor. I've heard fan films with better Vader imitations. Why would you do this?

There are some things about the SE I really like -- the new Sarlaac is fine with me, and as previously mentioned, the new ending to ROTJ -- but most of the "imrovements" look to me like someone shooting perfectly good films full of holes. Most of them just make things worse, and I really don't understand how Lucas could do this and not have some quality control, or just take a minute and think about how badly he was butchering his own work -- especially when it was loved by so many.

That said, I am a sucker and I still love Star Wars -- I will PROBABLY end up buying these anyway. But I wish to God Lucas wasn't such a maniac and would make the original versions available to his devoted fans.

It will be nice to have them on DVD, but I know the format would allow for multiple editions. I don't hold out much hope for that, though.

Jim Williams
28 September 2003, 11:25 AM
I think the saddest thing of all is that Greedo shot could have sunk the entire movie. Stuff like that can leave a bad taste in someone's mouth as the rest of the movie attempts to unfold.

And audiences (heh) can be pretty merciless.

Hmmm, can one scene ruin an entire movie? Hard to say, I guess.

ij thompson
28 September 2003, 06:15 PM
You're preaching to the choir, dgswensen!

I know I'll buy them - I've watched my tapes so many times, the yellow letters at the beginning are almost white. But I agree that it is absolutely criminal not to make the original versions of these films available on dvd. So they're George's 'definitive versions' of the films. So what? For the sake of cinema history, the originals must be preserved. Pardon me if I'm a little touchy on the subject, but I'm just on the cusp of seeing one of my most treasured films, ALIEN, suffer the same fate!

but back to Star Wars, this whole business almost has me ready to buy a laserdisc player. You know, those movies were made available in their original form with THX in the early-mid 90's! What would it take for somebody to get them, and encode 'em to dvd? I have some pirated dvds of the original trilogy from Ebay, but the quality is pretty lacking.

This is the Information Age! We must find a way!

cheshire
24 October 2003, 12:08 PM
What's interesting is the fact that this whole idea of releasing the OT sooner rather than later is partly becuase they had said that the Indiana Jones DVD set was done so well. Really... I hope they do a bit better job on Star Wars than with the Indy Trillogy. Don't get me wrong, I like the Indy DVDs, but there are a few things that I think are missing.

First of all, they made references to scenes that were shot but were not completed or not in the final film. One of those scenes was of a Nazi being ordered to shoot Sallah. I would like to have seen more than a passing reference to the scene, and I would have like to have seen more than a two second clip of it. Why not show the whole thing on the bounus disk?

Second, there were no audio commentaries. One of the things that I really liked about some of the older documentaries on Star Wars (such as From Star Wars to Jedi: the saga behind the saga) is that they talked a bit about the myth and the symbolism. I would really like to see some of that in the DVD set for the OT.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

Moose
26 October 2003, 01:01 PM
Why oh Why George, Greedo shooting first from now on will ruin me:(

Treefrog
1 November 2003, 05:24 PM
If this rumor is true.....

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!!

I have been waiting patiently for the Original Trilogy for about 4 years now, even before I got a DVD player (because I would have bought it anyway, even though I didn't have a DVD player).

As far as the SE vs. non-SE debate...

Who in their right minds, care...Its about whether or not you have the OT or not...Not about who should or shouldn't have shot.

In a perfect world, GL would release the OT with both versions on the same discs....Also, GL would be announcing plans that he will allow Episodes VII thru IX to be made too, but unfortunately this isn't a perfect world.

Get over it...:D:D:D8o

ij thompson
2 November 2003, 09:26 AM
Pardon my cynicism, but I'd suggest that this rumour is actually VERY likely. Dig:

[list=1]
Lucasfilm releases the OT on dvd in 2004. Naturally, everybody in the world buys one.
Just in time for Xmas 2005, Lucasfilm releases the 'Ultimate Star Wars Boxed Set'. Featuring the five movies we've already bought (including one or two 'exciting new extras!', and this package will be the only way to get Episode III.
[/list=1]

In fact, I'll bet they may even offer us the original versions of the films in this set, to lure us back just one more time...

Oh, cynical me! :rolleyes:

Oh, but by the way - if you want the original OT on dvd, go to the address below and sign the petition; word has it that Lucasfilm has been "viewing the petition with interest"...

OriginalTrilogy.com (http://www.originaltrilogy.com)

Jake Sunspot
5 November 2003, 12:38 AM
Okay first things first. I HATE THE SE. Well maybe hate is too strong a word but I'm certainly not a fan. Sure some of the starship stuff was an improvement and I like the "lost" scene with Biggs before the battle of Yavin, but can't the man leave well enough alone.

Here's a small list of things that P!$$ me off (since I need to get these off my chest and this thread has turned into a rantfest already, I'll just jump right on that bandwagon)

1. Greedo shooting first completely changes Han Solo as a character in EP IV. This one has been beat to death, but it still makes me want to punch GL

Also -- and I know this is a minor quibble to some -- adding a scream to Luke's fall in ESB really ruins that moment, too. I loved his quiet, firm resolve as he had made his decision to die rather than join Vader. Instead, he shrieks like a little girl as he falls. And not only that -- listen carefully to the sound bite sometime -- it's the SAME exact sound bite as the Emperor falling down the shaft in ROTJ. They were so lazy they couldn't even find a new sound effect, they have to recycle an old one? It was just tacked on there. Pathetic. Nicely said dgswensen its certainly not a minor quibble to me, I think it is the absolute WORST of the long list of bad changes.

3. Something that seems to bother only me (maybe I'm the only one who even notices) are the weird and pointless changes in dialogue. The above mentioned Vader scene at the end of Empire was one, but what about this.

Artoo is spat out of the swamp slug thing on Dagobah and flies throught the air as Luke watches in horror.

Luke (OT): Lucky for you you don't taste very good.
was changed to
Luke (SE): You were lucky to get out of there. Well DUH, at least before the line was whitty.

Or this bit of genious

Lando is being pulled into the sarlacc pit as Han levels a blaster pistol at the tentacle in an attempt to free his friend.

Lando: Wait, I though you were blind.

Han (OT): It's okay... Trust me.
was changed to
Han (SE): Its okay, I can see alot better now (which is spoken all fast to keep the timing without having to re-edit the scene)

4. The Jabba Scene in EP IV was just terrible. Jabba looks awful and at one point Han's hand passes THROUGH his chest. Not to mention the fact that there is NO F***ING WAY Han could have walked across Jabba's tail and walked out of that hangar alive. Jabba might even have been mad enough to get his own hands dirty. Either way Solo would've been a dead man. Tony Soprano wouldn't stand for that sort of disrespect so how could ANYONE believe that Jabba would.

5. Don't get me started on the "revised" musical number in Jabba's palace. WTF, that was just stupid. It wasn't better. It didn't liven up the scene. The song was AWFUL. And what's up with Boba Fett pimpin' the ladies. Boba Fett isn't a ladies man, women distract you and keep you from noticing the guy pointing the blaster at you. Which is something Boba would NEVER allow to happen.

Now that thats out (man, I feel better already) I will say that I probably won't buy them until after EP III is out. If I want to watch the SE I've got it on VHS. Sure I would LOVE to have the OT on DVD, but I'm going to wait until I'm sure that this is all I get.

P.S. Don't worry too much about the Alien: Director's Cut ij thompson. From all of the research I've done, they're just putting scenes back that were filmed back in '79 but then cut from the final release of the film. If you've got the laser disc or DVD then you've already seen all the "new" scenes.

ij thompson
6 November 2003, 08:00 PM
Great thoughts, Jake! I am sending a virtual beer your way!

Yes, I'm familiar with all the cutscenes in ALIEN up and down, and have now seen the DC, and, well... the first is still better, but they're both great. But the main point of this post of mine is to say:

The rumours are TRUE. Star Wars, Episodes IV, V, and VI are coming out on dvd in September 2004.

Here's the news, from a site I trust:

http://thedigitalbits.com

Jake Sunspot
7 November 2003, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the beer. And even though I'm still not planning to buy the DVDs, its good to know the rumor's are true.

johnnyputrid
7 November 2003, 06:20 AM
I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this...

I actually like the SE! It seems I may be the ONLY one.

Greedo shooting first doesn't bother me. I'm sure Han knew that Greedo could't hit the broad side of Star Destroyer.

Luke's scream falling down the Cloud City reactor shaft...not neccessary, but doesn't bother me either. Son of the Chosen One or not, that was a long fall. I'd scream like a little girl.

The new dance number I actually like better. I always thought the original one was weak.

Boba Fett playing the ladies man...awesome! All the EU crap about Boba's past was blown out of the water by AOTC. How do we know that Boba didn't like to get freaky every now and then? The man had to spend some of his credits somewhere.

The Jabba Scene. I think Han had worked for Jabba long enough that he could get away with stepping on his tail. Jabba seems to have a soft spot for Han. He gave him more breaks than he gave anyone else.

It is George's movie after all. He pays for most of it so he does what he wants with them. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to give the SE treatment to the prequel films sometime down the road. It's kind of like writing a song, maybe you come up with a new riff later on that works, so you add it in and see waht happens.

Since I have the original trilogy on VHS and laserdisc (hand-me-downs from my grandfather) I don't care which version gets released.

Please, feel free to start the virtual shooting range, with me as the central target.

MalakiTyrel
7 November 2003, 06:41 AM
Actually, I will agree with you.

The one thing out of the SE I don't like is Greedo shooting first. I thought the original version was a better look into Han's character.

However, the other stuff I will agree with completely. I never even noticed Luke's scream when he fell until it was pointed out to me by someone else.

Han stepping on Jabba's tail is a good example of the position Han held in Jabba's organization. Han was more or less untouchable. Jabba gave him more chances than anyone else but still ended up making an example of him.

I do like the dance number better. I thought the original was lame.

Fett playing the ladies man is great. We get a small glimpse at him being human not some emotionless killing machine. That makes his death even worse.

The only thing I would change about the SE is Greedo shooting first. Everything else is fine. I can deal with the FX problems (like Han's finger being green and looking like it is inside Jabba when he points at him in the hangar) and minor changes. I would even be pleased if they worked on it again and improved a few more things (the computer in the Death Star hangar control room always bugged me) or some things which I felt should have been fixed in the SE but wasn't (when Han is being frozen he doesn't have his vest on except in the closeups).

Wesly Senesca
7 November 2003, 08:35 AM
I have to agree with dgswenson. Some of the changes to the original trilogy need to go: ESB's screaming done the shaft, ANH's Jabba interlude and the Greedo debacle (though Greedo really doesn't bother me, it does make since as it helps to establish Han's past as an outlaw). Some of the lesser stuff like the script changes need to go as well. I'm all the enhanced graphics like in the flight scenes but thechanges to the actual storyline is complete and utter horsesh**! Remeber the episode of South Park that was about Spielberg and Lucas changing their movies? They had a point, not the whole "it will kill us all if it were released," but that movies should be preserved in their original fromat.

BrianDavion
7 November 2003, 08:43 AM
Boba talking with the ladies was a nice addition IMHO. I HATE the way the EU has him out to loook as some inhuman guy with no emotions whatsoever.

boba wasn't hunting anyone at the time, he was just chilling in jabba's court. why NOT show a bit of attention to the nice lady