PDA

View Full Version : Question about Chewie and the Stormies...

mojo1701
21 September 2003, 03:26 PM
In ANH, where the Stormtroopers come across Han and Chewie, why don't they arrest Chewie, since Wookiees were considered slaves?

Lord Darth Vader of the Sith
21 September 2003, 03:50 PM
they didn't know that he was an escaped slave and that not all were slaves they would just chose randomly and would go in large parties because the wookies would kill small groups of troopers

Jim Williams
21 September 2003, 04:04 PM
They were busy following more important orders.

BrianDavion
21 September 2003, 04:41 PM
that and odds are if any stormies made an issue Han'd just say "he's my slave"

Howling Wookiee
21 September 2003, 06:40 PM
Hmmm, I would not try to start trouble with a 7 foot walking wrecking ball if I could avoid it. Like previously stated they had more important orders. Also not all Wookiees were slaves and on a back world like Tatooine I'm sure they are not as strict with the slave laws as other worlds. IE don't stir up trouble if you can avoid it.

"Let the Wookiee Win!"

Nova Spice
21 September 2003, 07:54 PM
Actually, there are several reasons why the Imperials didn't arrest Chewbacca:

-The Mos Eisley garrison contained only twelve stormtroopers. The two in the cantina were literally a sixth of the Empire's presence in the city.
-Imperial jurisdiction had yet to be established on Tatooine, therefore making an arrest would not have been legal at the time.
-The Imperials were searching for the data discs, and were more concerned with following Vader's orders.
-Tatooine is far away from the Empire's control (at the time), and thus making a scene could have proven unhealthy for the lives of the stormtroopers.

The Empire doesn't establish actual control on Tatooine until after the Millennium Falcon escapes. Prefect Talmont, who was the governor of Bestine (the capital), was given authority by Tarkin and Vader to establish a permanent garrison on the planet after Solo blasted his way out of Mos Eisley. ;)

mojo1701
22 September 2003, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all the responses, people! This has been bugging me for some time.

I've also had a few people ask me that, so I didn't know, either.

gmjabreson
24 May 2006, 08:58 AM
with the Empire having a Prefect on Tatooine, I thought they had established some form of "law." One don't remember that the owner of the Cantina was not the man that Luke or the stormtroopers talked to, but a wookiee.
I can't remember the name offhand. But it was mentioned in several WEG books and other EU sources.

Darth Fierce
24 May 2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by gmjabreson
with the Empire having a Prefect on Tatooine, I thought they had established some form of "law." One don't remember that the owner of the Cantina was not the man that Luke or the stormtroopers talked to, but a wookiee.
I can't remember the name offhand. But it was mentioned in several WEG books and other EU sources.

Chalmun is the name of the Wookiee that owned the cantina in ANH.

And if you ask why didn't the stormies accost Chewbacca, you also have to ask why didn't they confront Han? I mean Solo went AWOL from the Imperial military for goodness sake! ;)

Darth Fierce :vader:

mojo1701
24 May 2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Darth Fierce

And if you ask why didn't the stormies accost Chewbacca, you also have to ask why didn't they confront Han? I mean Solo went AWOL from the Imperial military for goodness sake! ;)

Darth Fierce :vader:

He didn't so much go AWOL as he was stripped of his commission for freeing Chewbacca.

Ubiqtorate
25 May 2006, 09:47 AM
"Law" is a relative term on Tatooine. Yeah, sure, technically the Empire was in charge, but the reality was that whoever had the biggest guns was the one making the rules.

Sarge
26 May 2006, 10:31 AM
...or whoever had the biggest Wookiee. :p

Ubiqtorate
30 May 2006, 04:18 PM
That too.

:D

Stormtroopers were never known for tearing arms out of sockets...

PsychoInfiltrator
30 May 2006, 04:40 PM
but the reality was that whoever had the biggest guns was the one making the rules

Sounds like today's politics.

But before I get this thread closed, I'd like to switch to a more SW topic for this post. ;)

It works the same way in SW. When the NR had military dominance, it was the law. When the Galactic Alliance did not, it was not. When the Empire had it, it was. Where the Hutts had it, they were. Etc.