PDA

View Full Version : Imps on ord mantell

Lord Darth Vader of the Sith
24 September 2003, 10:59 AM
what kind of imperial presence was on ord mantell

coldskier0320
25 September 2003, 08:30 AM
From what I recall, they didn't. I think that Ord Mantell was, at the beginning of the galactic civil war, lawless. The Empire probably claimed it, as Ord was short for something dealing with the Old Republic and the OR basically turned into the empire, but they probably didnt have much more presence than a simple outpost or tiny garrisson.

Errin Orwain
3 October 2003, 07:16 PM
no Imps huh...probibly why the Rebels were around there in between Ep IV and Ep V as indicated by Han Solo telling General Riekeen that a bounty hunter they ran into on Ord Mantell changed his mind about staying with the Rebellion.

Darth Fury
3 October 2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by coldskier0320
From what I recall, they didn't. I think that Ord Mantell was, at the beginning of the galactic civil war, lawless. The Empire probably claimed it, as Ord was short for something dealing with the Old Republic and the OR basically turned into the empire, but they probably didnt have much more presence than a simple outpost or tiny garrisson.

Ord was short for Ordinance Depot during the time of the Old Republic!!8o This can be found in the WEG books one of the galaxy guides I think, if any body has solid info (ie wich book what page) that'd be great. My brother reallocated his WEG books so I can't look it up myself. Anyway, I don't know if the Empire keep up the Depots or if they relocated them. I don't remember if it was said in the WEG book or not. Hope this helps.

coldskier0320
14 October 2003, 03:16 AM
I would suppose they didn't stick around, as it just doesn't seem the Emperor's style to leave good enough alone. And if the Empire really did have an Ordinance Depot on Ord Mantell, I'm sure they'd use a few more resources to protect it, with step one being eliminate the scum...as well as most of the population, probably. Thus, I'd say that during the Rebellion Era/Galactic Civil War/OT, which, I'm assuming, is the time frame you care about, there wasn't much of an imperial presence...but don't tell that to your players;).

Jedi Master Talon
27 October 2003, 06:49 AM
I'd also have to agree with the fact that their was no Imp prescence. Han had a runin with a bounty hunter there, also why would the Imps have a prescence there? It has know military value or economical value either. So I would say they didn't have a Prescence there.

Nova Spice
29 October 2003, 07:32 PM
I think a lot of folks are missing the point of an Imperial presence. The Empire maintained occupying forces on a scale unparalleled in galactic history.

Ord Mantell was a lawless "hive of scum and villainy" during the Rebellion era. It contained countless smugglers, bounty hunters, and less reputable beings. With that said, Ord Mantell was also a Mid Rim hive of "scum and villainy."

In a strategic sense, Ord Mantell was a lawless world in the middle of thousands of Imperial worlds. Do you think this place would have gone unchecked? Especially considering the fact that many of these lawless types joined the Rebel Alliance.

In a logical sense, the Empire would need garrisoned troops, ISB agents, and Intelligence operatives on Ord Mantell for various purposes. Keeping track of what's going down in the underworld would have been essential to maintaining the edge that the Imperial military needed. This would have certainly been supplemented by having a visible presence as well. People do dumb things when they're nervous. And lots of Imperial stormtroopers make people nervous. ;)

I'd say that the Imps probably had a planetary garrison backed up by an Imperial Star Destroyer and a patrol of Guardian-class Light Cruisers for customs. Possibly a TIE Fighter base located in the outlying regions of the system.

Feret
5 November 2003, 09:04 AM
speaking of Ord Mantel have any of you guys rember the old record and tape story books you used to get? Well it just so happened that I used to have hte Ord Mantel Story on tape I think my brother possesses it now though. From the story it seemed to me that Ord Mantel was like a hub of commerce and trade. Not to widely populated, but there was an imperial watch post of some kind. The mission finds han and leia using a false ship registry when they take off because of an some kind of traffic cop like imperial post. AS for what the mission was about, some have said it was money that Princess Leah had discovered as old Organa finances. But from the tape it sounded to me more like a cargo of loot that was like the payroll or some how a shipment for the empire. In either case luke and threepio have to dock in flight with the falcon in order to escape the star destroyers that chase them. Seems to me that the Imperials kept a garrison in space not necessarily on the planet.