PDA

View Full Version : What Battle are they talking about?

AzmoDanakar
25 September 2003, 07:55 AM
In the opening scrawl of A New Hope, it is mentioned that Rebels have scored their first vistory against the Imperials. I know the community here must have the answers, I have looked and found a bit on this, but not what I am looking for.

What battle was it?
Where was it?
How many ships were invovled?
What key characters, if any, were involved in the battle?
How did the fighting go down, and what were the casualties?
Was this the engagement that allowed the plans to make it to the Rebels?
How long was it between the battle and the capturing of the Tantive IV?
A few hours? A week? A Month?

Any input on this would be much appreciated.

Kordeth
25 September 2003, 08:11 AM
I believe that's referring to the covert operation to steal the Death Star plans--which has been variously attributed throughout the EU to another Bothan spy cell, Kyle Katarn, and a few others I'm sure. I don't think there was a major military engagement prior to the Battle of Yavin.

Jim Williams
25 September 2003, 08:54 AM
The details are vague, but the victory could also be attributed to the end "cut scene" for Han Solo's first love interest in A.C. Crispin's excellent Han Solo Trilogy.

But as pointed out, lots of EU sources exist for this "first victory"...

Sarge
25 September 2003, 09:11 AM
IOW, the first victory is whatever you need it to be for your RPG. :D

Jim Williams
25 September 2003, 09:50 AM
Good point Sarge!

I imagine if all the Rebellion Era campaigns ever run (D6 and d20) had those universes collide at the Battle of Hoth, Rogue Squadron would have had about 873, 475 snowspeeders flying into action alone!

BrianDavion
25 September 2003, 11:34 AM
IIRC the most likely first victory was the rebellion's victory over Operation: Strike fear. ref: X-wing.

Ardent
25 September 2003, 12:20 PM
There were a couple of engagements prior to Yavin IV where the Rebellion openly fielded units bearing its crest. I can't remember which ones exactly, but I don't recall any of them being a victory. IIRC most people seem to believe ANH's opening crawl is referring to the Battle of Yavin.

It's hard to pin down as it isn't covered in any movie in more than passing mention and it's unlikely it will be cleared up with Episode III. So we have to hope for a bit of an in-between like SotE did for ESB/RotJ.

AzmoDanakar
26 September 2003, 08:41 AM
Thanks much to all that replied
My campaign started aprox. 2 years before the battle of Yavin, and the party members are getting caught up in the events of the Galactic Civil War.
I eventually want them to be involved in some of the incidents just prior to that battle so I was fishing for data on that finite time frame.

As is the best policy I will probably just make it up, but now I have some framework to build on.

Any other ideas and information will be appreciated as well.:D

Sarge
26 September 2003, 09:15 AM
Maybe you've already done this, but I'll put the idea out here anyway.

In a campaign I ran shortly before ANH, one adventure had the PCs help the Incom design team defect to the Alliance along with the production prototypes of the X-wing. It was a fun adventure and it made the players feel like they had a real influence on the SW universe. Every time we watch the movies and an X-wing appears, we can think, "They wouldn't have those ships if it weren't for us."

Another group that I ran captured the Nebulon that the Rebels used for their medical frigate. They were also at the battle of Yavin and led a Y-wing attack that shut down the Death Star's main TIE hangars, keeping the 5000 TIE fighters from launching and wiping out the attacking Rebels.

AzmoDanakar
26 September 2003, 09:27 AM
LOL~!
It is so funny that you mention that, Jake Sunspot's campaign had our party doing exactly that~! It was awesome, and we are sharing GM resources so to speak with this one. Our PC's will cross paths with the PC's from the prior campaign, so this group won't be nabbing the X-Wing. You are right, every time I see the X-Wing, I think... "Azmo helped get that baby to the Rebels"

I like the Nebulon B medical frigate capture idea, the party is well-sutied to be shipjackers and this would be right up their alley.

As far as the Death Star... the party has already run afoul of Tarkin, and their only relief will come in a few months, when intelligence will tell them he ran off to work on some big secret weapon program.

FennPlot
28 September 2003, 02:46 PM
Whatever you decide to do, just don't shave the Bothan!

AzmoDanakar
2 October 2003, 06:50 AM
Fenn is a new player in my campaign and his enthusiasm has now spilled onto the Holonet.... Back on topic, I think I have alot of 'play-around' time until I need to worry about that battle, whatever form it may take. The campaign started 21 months before the Battle of Yavin and is now at 18 months before then. The party is now working for the Rebels ( some of them reluctantly ), and will slowly build to the point where they can take a more active role in the galactic Civil War. After the battle we can see about stealing Neb-B's.

Ardent
2 October 2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by AzmoDanakar
Fenn is a new player in my campaign and his enthusiasm has now spilled onto the Holonet.... Back on topic, I think I have alot of 'play-around' time until I need to worry about that battle, whatever form it may take. The campaign started 21 months before the Battle of Yavin and is now at 18 months before then. The party is now working for the Rebels ( some of them reluctantly ), and will slowly build to the point where they can take a more active role in the galactic Civil War. After the battle we can see about stealing Neb-B's.

Most of the Nebulon-B's the Rebellion possesses were full-crew mutinies right out of stardock. The Empire rushed their production and staffing and "accidentally" placed entire crews of Rebel sympathizers together. One of the New Order's more embarassing moments. However...helping those frigates find their way home may be something your players can help with.

Jim Williams
2 October 2003, 08:59 AM
Now that's a cool idea.

Vanger Chevane
4 October 2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Jim Williams
Now that's a cool idea.

Absolutely. As I experienced during a convention-level game involving the "liberated" Corvette Shto-Lin, any Imperial ship that doesn't arrive on-station within a few days of schedule and having a very good excuse will be chased by every Imp from Bespin to the Coroporate Sector.

Most of the Imperial Admiralty take it quite personally when you lift one of their ships. They want it back, intact if possible, but may not be very particular about the condition of those crewing it.

Smaller ship Captains will be especially interested in recovering a stolen capship, as they may well recieve command of it as a reward, or at least some significant recognition.

Ardent
4 October 2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Vanger Chevane
Smaller ship Captains will be especially interested in recovering a stolen capship, as they may well recieve command of it as a reward, or at least some significant recognition.

Or at least consideration for the command of a new ship of the line, if the former Captain remains in the good graces of the Empire (which was the case with a few of the frigates if I remember correctly).

Also, some of the frigate crews were set on a career of piracy or perhaps privateering...convincing them that they'd be better served to outright join the Rebellion could be a job for a group of diplomatic-types.

There are plenty of options with this scenario...it was actually interesting enough to have a campaign tailored to it (WEG's The Far Orbit Project). It may be worth either updating the Far Orbit or out-and-out writing a new adventure/campaign surrounding a mutinied Nebulon-B.

Vanger Chevane
5 October 2003, 06:45 AM
There will also be a number of pirate bands interested in acquiring a nice new capship if there's only a skeleton crew aboard & they have the means to capture it.

gmjabreson
16 June 2006, 10:43 AM
The Battle of Tiems was a minor victory for the Rebels, but at the time it wasn't considered as one. In that Battle, three rebel companies held up three battalions of imperial troops long enough for the rebel base to be evacuated. Not only did they hold up the troops but wiped out two of those battalions entirely (source is the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook- WEG)

Ubiqtorate
17 June 2006, 01:52 PM
The Harrison Ford/Carrie Fisher screen test for the original Star Wars has Leia telling Han, "We stole the plans during a raid on an Imperial shipyard." Now, that's hardly canon, but could still give some insight into the "victory" mentioned in the title crawl. However the "victory" took place, the victory was that the Rebels were able to steal the Death Star plans.

gmjabreson
17 June 2006, 06:14 PM
yeah I remember that, I also remember her killing Lord Tion for slipping up and mentioning the Death Star, and it was only a code named project. He knew this and was going to place her under arrest then, but her and Bail killed him. Shortly After that she flew to her rondez-vous with the Plans and ultimately to her capture by the Devastator.

Uron Teff
18 June 2006, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by gmjabreson
The Battle of Tiems was a minor victory for the Rebels, but at the time it wasn't considered as one. In that Battle, three rebel companies held up three battalions of imperial troops long enough for the rebel base to be evacuated. Not only did they hold up the troops but wiped out two of those battalions entirely (source is the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook- WEG)

Hm, wasn't Bria Tharen's strike team one of the few which fought off the Imperial troops long enough? And isn't this mentioned in the third book of the young Han Solo triology with the title "Rebel Dawn"?

gmjabreson
18 June 2006, 02:51 PM
I know it was mentioned in the Rebellion Sourcebook by WEG. They had a whole page or two on it, with graphics showing the course of the battle.