PDA

View Full Version : Another One Bites the Dust?

Darth Fierce
28 September 2003, 01:34 PM
Hey everyone, I can't remember the source of this rumor, but I think I remember hearing from a source that a third major character in the SW universe (following Chewie and Anakin Solo) will be killed off before the end of the NJO era novels. Has anyone else heard this rumor, and if so, who do you think is the most likely candidate to be killed off?

Personally, I think it could be any of our major heroes other than Luke, Han or Leia, because without them, I feel there really wouldn't be any interest in seeing where the saga goes afterwards. I would also hate it to be Mara or either of the remaining Solo kids personally.

In my view, we might see the end of Threepio or Artoo before these novels are done. However, if we do, I'd like to see either one "die" a hero, perhaps saving another character from Shimrra, but paying for his courage with his "life."

Darth Fierce :vader:

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
28 September 2003, 02:13 PM
Well, the good thing is that it'll be a little more than a month to see if this rumor's true.

Silent
28 September 2003, 04:14 PM
I could see Luke going down and passing the torch to his nephew, niece and son. On the other hand, I doubt that Leia or Han will die off because they've already seen Chewie die on them, so they're cast as teh survivors now.

Nova Spice
28 September 2003, 08:13 PM
There has been chatter on the theforce.net boards that Han Solo may be the one to die.

While there is no hard evidence to support such a theory, people have noticed that on the back of The Unifying Force, there is a picture of the Millennium Falcon in flames.

We will know in about thirty-three days I suppose. :(

I personally have a strong feeling that Wedge Antilles will be the one to die. After reading summaries of both the final two books, it seems that Wedge may very well be in for it. The ending is supposed to be explosive and thrilling. And the outcome is a surprise. That's been assured to us by Sue Rostoni and the NJO authors.

I'm counting down the days.....

BrianDavion
28 September 2003, 08:33 PM
maybe the major char that dies is C-3P0. there was a lot of him thinking about his own mortality etc, so there's some definate forshadowing there.

Darth Fierce
29 September 2003, 04:37 AM
Hmmm...again, I don't think we'll see the death of Han Solo in the upcoming novel, due to the fact that he's an integral part of the whole saga.

I know, I know...some people are going to say "What about Chewbacca? He died, and he was important to the saga." While that is true, I don't feel that Chewbacca was necessarily as important to the saga as Han. The truth is that if situations were reversed (i.e., Han died on Sernpidal instead of Chewie), I really don't think you'd see Chewbacca in many novels afterwards, especially not in a major character position. The only way I could see Han being the one to die in the upcoming novel is if the author wanted to kill him off in honor to Chewie and Anakin.

As far as Wedge is concerned, I could potentially see him being killed off, perhaps in a heroic gesture, such as ramming a Vong ship's bridge with an X-Wing. I'd rather not see him be killed off, though.

I don't know, I'm still leaning in the position that either Threepio or Artoo will be killed off/destroyed in the upcoming novel.

Please keep your ideas coming.

Jim Williams
29 September 2003, 04:58 AM
R2 or 3PO...chilling stuff. In a sense they ARE the Star Wars mythos in a way even Luke and Anakin are not.

Ardent
29 September 2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Jim Williams
R2 or 3PO...chilling stuff. In a sense they ARE the Star Wars mythos in a way even Luke and Anakin are not.

Neither of them will die. They're "alive" to tell us the story, remember? :x

My personal opinion is that Admiral Ackbar's number is up. If there really is a huge fleet battle to end all battles, I have little doubt Ackbar will be on the bridge somewhere. While an important part of Star Wars, particularly the EU, and dearly loved by a lot of people as a deep and consuming character, he's supposedly near the end of his natural life anyway.

However, that's assuming this is true and not merely idle speculation.

wolverine
29 September 2003, 10:46 AM
I would say either leia or luke. Go down fighting Shimmurr

BrianDavion
29 September 2003, 11:59 AM
Ackbar's retired and will likely remain that way.

Ardent
29 September 2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by BrianDavion
Ackbar's retired and will likely remain that way.

Check again. ;)

Vanger Chevane
29 September 2003, 02:33 PM
It may also be Garm Bel Iblis, who has been in & out of the spotlights throughout the NR & NJO novels.

Jericho_Narcas
29 September 2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by BrianDavion
maybe the major char that dies is C-3P0. there was a lot of him thinking about his own mortality etc, so there's some definate forshadowing there.

Threepio is always thinking about his own mortality.

"We're doomed!"

I don't think it'll be either one of the droids.

Darth Fierce
5 October 2003, 02:28 PM
Hmmm...I just checked the speculation on theforce.net, and it appears we all might be wrong on this issue. I won't go into too much detail, but speculation there indicates that the character to get the proverbial axe may well be everyone's favorite, and "the galaxy's best" bounty hunter. I hope not. It'd be a sad day for former Mandalorian Warriors like me. :(

BrianDavion
5 October 2003, 02:44 PM
meh, Fett's been living on borrowed time since ROTJ

Darth Fierce
7 October 2003, 04:50 AM
Another possibility would be that Grand Admiral Pellaeon dies sacrificing himself against the Vong. After all, we kind of see possible foreshadowing of this at the end of The Final Prophecy, when Pellaeon finds out that his son died ramming the Vong interdictor.

I know, here some people are going to say that Pellaeon is not a major character, but I believe he is. After all, in the last couple novels before The Final Prophecy, I think I've seen him in more action than characters such as Wedge (whom some people would consider a major character).

Just another possibility from my brain.

Vanger Chevane
7 October 2003, 02:26 PM
If Pellaeon does die, this seriously weakens the Imperial Remnant as AFAIK he has no heir apparent or protege to take over and do the job nearly as well.

Militarily, the Empire takes a major hit and could easily be forced into a totally defensive posture, resulting in the Galatic Alliance also suffering a weakening of their total force.

Nova Spice
7 October 2003, 06:35 PM
Actually, I wouldn't worry too much about the Imperial Remnant if Pellaeon dies. The New Jedi Order has introduced some fresh and capable Imperials.

-Moff Ephin Saretti
-Moff Crowal
-Commander Vana Dorja
-Captain Arien Yage

Add these personas to other renowned Imperials like Dorja, Brandei, Turr Phennir, and Maarek Stele, and you've got some capable leadership in the making. Remember, the New Republic wasn't the only source receiving a new generation to take up the sword. The Imperials have their fair share as well.

Bear in mind that the Chiss have assisted the Remnant frequently as well. That adds Soontir and Jag Fel to the mix.

Wedge Antilles, Rogue Leader
8 October 2003, 02:08 PM
True, but if the Vong threat ends and Pellaeon dies, how many Imperial Remnant leaders want to be part of the Galactic Alliance any more?

Darth Fierce
8 October 2003, 02:51 PM
Good question. I'm thinking if Pellaeon dies in the upcoming novel, we'll likely see some of the remaining Moffs making a play for power in the galaxy afterwards (thus leading to a new Imperial threat to our heroes).

Nova Spice
8 October 2003, 03:36 PM
Good question. I'm thinking if Pellaeon dies in the upcoming novel, we'll likely see some of the remaining Moffs making a play for power in the galaxy afterwards (thus leading to a new Imperial threat to our heroes).

I've gotta disagree here. The galaxy has been through enough with the "Imperial threat." That's one of the MAJOR themes of the New Jedi Order: unity.

Should any of the Moffs return to their old ways after Pellaeon dies, then that will make the entire process of making peace with them, pointless. The authors won't go for it and neither will LFL.

The "Imperial warlord of the week" scenario has been beat to death. It's not going to happen again. The formation of the Galactic Alliance has seen to that. As have Lucasfilm and the fans; it's been done too many times and would pale in comparison to the threat seen throughout the New Jedi Order: the Yuuzhan Vong.

In other words, it wouldn't make a good story.

Darth Fierce
9 October 2003, 04:13 AM
And I have to disagree that it wouldn't make a good story. I'm not suggesting that there will ever be another Palpatine...I agree that that story arc went on way too long.

To understand what I'm suggesting, you kind of have to postulate what would happen if in reality an alien race attacked Earth (which is almost as diverse in cultures as the SW galaxy). Say for instance humanity was able to beat back the aliens, though at a major cost to resources and population. In my mind, there would always be those greedy enough to attempt to set up their own little personal empires in the aftermath.

Therefore, I'm not suggesting that any of the Moffs would be able to establish the Empire at its highest strength again, but if the peace between the Galactic Alliance and the Imperial Remnant was shaken as a result of the Vong war, I could see a council of Moffs attempting to take over worlds that once belonged to the New Republic as the Galactic Alliance attempts to rebuild itself.

Then again, you do raise a good point about "unity," with the final novel in the NJO series being called The Unifying Force. I'd like to see peace be less tenuous between the Galactic Alliance and Imperial Remnant, but if Pellaeon dies in the novel, I don't know if we will.

Darth Fierce
9 October 2003, 04:13 AM
And I have to disagree that it wouldn't make a good story. I'm not suggesting that there will ever be another Palpatine...I agree that that story arc went on way too long.

To understand what I'm suggesting, you kind of have to postulate what would happen if in reality an alien race attacked Earth (which is almost as diverse in cultures as the SW galaxy). Say for instance humanity was able to beat back the aliens, though at a major cost to resources and population. In my mind, there would always be those greedy enough to attempt to set up their own little personal empires in the aftermath.

Therefore, I'm not suggesting that any of the Moffs would be able to establish the Empire at its highest strength again, but if the peace between the Galactic Alliance and the Imperial Remnant was shaken as a result of the Vong war, I could see a council of Moffs attempting to take over worlds that once belonged to the New Republic as the Galactic Alliance attempts to rebuild itself.

Then again, you do raise a good point about "unity," with the final novel in the NJO series being called The Unifying Force. I'd like to see peace be less tenuous between the Galactic Alliance and Imperial Remnant, but if Pellaeon dies in the novel, I don't know if we will.

Darth Fierce
9 October 2003, 04:15 AM
Sorry about the double post. Problem with my computer.

Ardent
9 October 2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Darth Fierce

Unfortunately for your idea, the Moffs lack much by way of personal assets. This is the big change to Imperial doctrine that Pellaeon enacted. The Navy is under the command of no Moff, but the seniormost Naval officer. Unfortunately for the Moffs, Pellaeon's command staff aren't buyable. They're all veteran Imperial officers who've seen what sort of damage a Moff's personal vendetta can do to the Empire.

The most a Moff could hope to do with their personal resources is occupy a backwater Rim world. The Remnant Navy, however, probably won't even allow them to do that.

Gilad Pellaeon is a survivor and an icon amongst the Remnant Navy. Even if he passes on, his memory, his ideals and his imperatives won't die. A tenuous peace is the best the Remnant can hope for with people who have been watching them carefully for decades.

But I agree that moves will need to be made to make the Remnant feel like part of the Galactic Alliance...Senators for each Remnant world (e.g. the Moffs or their representatives) and at least one seat on the High Council, as the Remnant's biggest reservations have always concerned the Jedi.

Nova Spice
17 October 2003, 10:26 PM
With respect to this topic, I personally am of the opinion that one of the three characters below will die before the NJO finale:

-Wedge Antilles
-Lando Calrissian
-Kyp Durron

I chatted with some of my friends about these possible deaths and everyone has developed a perfect scenario for Kyp Durron's death. It has been a mainstay of the NJO that emphasis be placed on Kyp leading the "rogue Jedi" against the Vong. For so long, Kyp has been trying to prove to everyone that he has redeemed his actions against Carida. He has been trying to prove that he can lead the way against the Vong throughout the entire first half of the series. It isn't until Destiny's Way, that we see Kyp's attitude shift become complete.

I believe it entirely possible that Kyp may sacrifice his life to save Luke's in the final novel. He has been trying so hard to prove to Luke and the other Jedi that he has changed, that he is a new person. Would it not be in the feel of Star Wars for Kyp to achieve his efforts in death? If he were to save Luke in this manner, would he not create the ultimate redeeming act?

This is a definite possibility.

With those names in mind, I want to reinforce the painfully obvious death of Ackbar by the end of the series. As gravely ill as he was in Destiny's Way, I am sure he will not survive. I assume his death will be a mixture of sickness and age.

Darth Fierce
18 October 2003, 07:51 AM
An interesting theory, Nova Spice. I agree with you that of the names you suggested, Kyp would likely be the one to die. In a sense a heroic death could redeem him in the eyes of Luke and the other Jedi. Also, with the whole Jaina/Jag Fel thing going on, there's really no reason to keep Kyp on as a potential love interest for Jaina. That is, unless Jag dies...hmm...

Okay, I don't believe Jag is going to die in the upcoming novel. However, let me toss out another possibility...Tahiri. I know that many people are going to shoot this idea down, but if Tahiri is the one to die it may be the catalyst that brings the Shamed Ones and the GFFA together to take down Shimrra and a substantial amount of the Vong forces. Also, in dying in the upcoming novel, Tahiri's soul could join Anakin's in the Force, thus unifying their love for one another forever.

Just tossing around another idea, let me know what you think.

Jim Williams
18 October 2003, 03:50 PM
If the big news for a character death is Boba fett, I'll be rather disappointed at the (IMO) cop-out. As someone said, borrowed time RotJ. He really hasn't been that much of a character at all in the EU (novels anyway), and bringing him back to die (again) seems frivolous.

Heck, for me the best end to the Fett story was the end of a short story in Tales of the New Republic where Boba finally tracks down an old quarry...and lets him live.

Anyway, that being said, if Boba's in the last NJO book...he better die.

Other top contenders...

Luke for sheer heroic drama would work. Especially if he went out like Ben. "You know, if you strike down this crude matter, some other Jedi is going to seriously rain on your parade..." If the SW saga goes on long enough, Luke has to die dramatically one day. The next novel should be fitting. It would underscore the idea that the Jedi, guardians of peace and justice, were right in defending the New Republic from Thrawn, and that a Jedi in the right place is worth more than any strategist, system of government, or military power the galaxy spawns.

Kyp going down would be good too. He's been a bad boy for awhile. On the other hand, the prevailing feeling may be to minimize Kyp as an important character. Anyway, I don't think he qualifies as shocking enough.

Leia...okay, how much can Han take? Sheesh.

Han...hmmm, I just see retirement one day for Han. Besides, he's too smart to get killed in a war...

Tahiri...Unifying Force...Anakin...I can see that.

The droids...just no. Please.

Wedge...same deal. Survived two Death Star runs and the entire galactic civil war, Thrawn, etc.

Corran Horn is probably the one EU character whose death would blow me away.

Vanger Chevane
19 October 2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Darth Fierce
AHowever, let me toss out another possibility...Tahiri. I know that many people are going to shoot this idea down, but if Tahiri is the one to die it may be the catalyst that brings the Shamed Ones and the GFFA together to take down Shimrra and a substantial amount of the Vong forces.

I doubt this as Tahiri is about the only bridge between Galalctic & Vong societies.

She's got a perspective of both & can translate tween the two like no one else can, especially as Vong Society is insanely insular & stratified. The only way to get a good view of it is from near the top.

Rogue Janson
19 October 2003, 07:51 AM
Here are my thoughts, in no particular order.

Personally I don't see Tahiri as likely to die. There's no doubt she will be a crucial 'bridge' between the GA and YV, but that doesn't preclude her dying in the process. They can't go around killing off all their bridges though, as they have done with Nen Yim and (possibly) Harrar. Also the 'rejoining with Anakin' idea is faintly sickening, very un-jedi (there is a reason the OR jedi were wary of attachments) and generally far too moribund. Much more appropriate imo for her to struggle on and make her life without him.

Lando, could be, but he tends to spend his time out of the action. He's already had a 'near-death' mission in Rebel Lines.

I don't see any of the Solos dying - as has been said, how much grief can they take? I think Han and Leia need to stand to prove that two people who love one another can survive through all the hardships and dangers of war.

Luke would be dramatic, but not particularly likely. Having just set up a Jedi council and properly sorted out the Jedi order, he needs to be around to watch over it for at least a little longer.
It's possible that Mara may die though. Does anyone remember the visions Luke had in Agents of Chaos(?) of Ben, which didn't include Mara. Having said that, I don't see quite how the dramatic death of Mara would fit into the storyline.

Kyp I see as the Jedi Master for the new generation; when Jaina, Jacen, Tahiri et al are Knights, but the older Masters - Kam, Luke, Corran etc. - are fading, he will be the prominent Jedi Master. But then again, he does seem to sit in an uneasy gap between the old and the young Jedi. If he survives though, he'd be an important symbol that you can come back from the dark side; that death is not the only way to erase its taint.

Both Admiral Ackbar and Pellaeon are so old that their deaths don't really count as dramatic (it's harsh but true).

Wedge, well, that's entirely possible unfortunately. I've said before that the battle at Bilbringi in The Final Prophecy seemed a little like a final homage to him, a last chance for him to show off his skills (and survive the process).

Corran would be stunning, but entirely unlikely. More than anything else, the fact that he's only just taken Tahiri on as apprentice should put him out of danger (and probably increases Tahiri's chances of survival too).

Treefrog
1 November 2003, 05:47 PM
I just have to say one thing, and one thing only.....I'd hate to be the author that kills off any of the main characters: Luke, Leia, or Han...

Jake Sunspot
5 November 2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Treefrog
I just have to say one thing, and one thing only.....I'd hate to be the author that kills off any of the main characters: Luke, Leia, or Han...

No Doubt. I know people that still hate R.A. Salvatore for killing Chewbacca. Can you imagine the hate mail the guy that killed Han Solo would get.

As far as my guesses.

I also doubt it will be Tahiri. It just doesn't seem dramatic or signifigant enough.

Lando is an obvious choice, but I like to think that LFL is above the horror movie cliche of killing off the Token black guy right before the end. I also don't know how signifigant his death would be since I've seen an awful lot of "anti-Lando" fanboys in my time.

I doubt it will be Han or Leia or either of their surviving kids.

Kyp would be interesting, but I kind of agree that maybe he will live to be the example Rogue Janson suggested. What would be more dramatic would be for it to be Luke, and for that tragedy to be the thing that finally completely redeems Kyp as he steps up to carry on his master's legacy.

Boba Fett would just be stupid and really who would care...borrowed time.

Wedge would be tragic but I can see it happening.

Its not gonna be R2 or 3PO

It BETTER NOT be Corran Horn. After I read I, Jedi he surpassed Han as my favorite SW character of all time. That would be good an dramatic, but it sure would bother me. Besides, since I'm pretty sure it will be Luke, Kyp is gonna need Corran's help.

I think it will be Luke. I'm sure it will be a grand sacrifice, but I hope it's fittingly heroic.

AzmoDanakar
5 November 2003, 04:42 AM
The NJO are very much beset by themes of Loss, Tragedy and Sacrifice. Luke dying would be a good end to the series, IMO.

Kyp and Corran left to carry on the Jedi tradition, with Luke appearing in spirit form, Obi Wan style would be very cool...or at least it could be if written well.

And I still feel bad for RA Salvatore, when I met him I could hardly speak ( fanboy love ), I barely stammered out for him to sign my Dark Elf book... I certainly didn't say, "Way to kill a Wookiee, Rob..."