PDA

View Full Version : Post Vong enemies

Jeskan
4 October 2003, 08:38 AM
I just want to know who you all think the next villians after NJO. I'm thinkin Nom Anor if he survives. I think the Sith will return, I'd like to see them back. I don't think there are going to be anymore new species invading the galaxy any more, not after the Sii-Ruu, Yevetha and of course the Vong. Im guessing old antogonists are going to reapeer a stir up trouble. Here are what I think will be possible villians:
Nom Anor
Thracken Sal-Solo
Sith-like cult
Frustraited Galactic Alliance Politicians or Military Officers
A droid that went berserk and turned all the other droids against the living

Vanger Chevane
5 October 2003, 07:23 AM
the Vong introduce an highly developed Biotechnology to the Galaxy, you also can have various groups of ppl abusing it for whatever purpose...

Darthspectre84
5 October 2003, 09:18 AM
my thoughts are:
Imperial officers who are still sticking to the days of palpatine
some Vong who are want to finish the war (most likely members of the Intendants or Priestly castes). Or perhaps a mad shaper
perhaps a very small invasion from a highly dangerous race from the Unknown regions
Jedi who have gone down the dark path cause of the death of their loved ones in the Vong War
Hutts and other groups of people who hate the vong for the destruction of thier homeworld
perhaps corporations who want to fuse Vong and current tech together to make a powerful weapon
the spirit of a Sith lord

Darth Fierce
5 October 2003, 10:32 AM
As far as Sal-Solo is concerned, I'd say no. I don't think we'll see him in a major villian role ever again. Thank goodness, I actually kind of liked him in the NJO series.

I'm also going to say no in regard to Nom Anor, as I'm one of the probably few people who thinks we're going to see him turn 180 degrees before the end of the NJO series (i.e., I think he'll find some way to become "respectable" by the end, and even possibly lead the Vong into an "age of peace" with the Galactic Alliance).

Chances are that the new enemy will probably be a collection of races harmed by the Vong who hope to get some vengeance.

That said, I could see some dark-side cult attempting to cause trouble again. Perhaps the new enemy could also be survivors from the Peace Brigade looking to cause harm.

Just my two cents.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Nova Spice
5 October 2003, 10:59 AM
I just want to know who you all think the next villians after NJO.

Well it's obvious to me that the villains are still going to be the Yuuzhan Vong. There's no way, IMO, that The Unifying Force will somehow wrap everything up with the Vong.

Vong such as Warmaster Nas Choka, Supreme Commander Qurang Lah, Supreme Commander Maal Lah, and Commander Malik Carr would make very logical enemies in the post-NJO series.

However, that being said, I am of the opinion that the post-NJO trilogy by Troy Denning will deal heavily with the reconstruction of the galaxy. So, the "villains" may just be those of a different political affiliation rather than some nasty army of wanna-be galactic conquerors.

As far as the Sith go; they're gone for good. Return of the Jedi saw to that. ;)

Darth Fierce
5 October 2003, 02:20 PM
Yes, Darth Vader and the Emperor might be gone...but, from what I've read, it's never been quite established that Sith traditions could not return. After all, from what I remember, before his redemption Kyp was considered at least an unofficial "Dark Lord of the Sith." Therefore, a little visit to Korriban by force-sensitives, a few possessions by some dark-side spirits, and voila, the Sith could conceivably return.

That said, personally, I agree with you that we'll see some infighting amongst the surviving factions of the Vong war. It'll be interesting to see how the galaxy develops after the NJO series is finished.

Faraer
5 October 2003, 02:24 PM
I'm pretty sure one of the few absolute edicts Lucas Licensing is under is to respect the final destruction of the Sith in Episode VI. To not do so would be dramatically very lousy.

Generally, the whole post-Episode VI trend of continuous threats to the whole galaxy is a mistake -- thinking you can be like the films by apeing a characteristic that's special to that story, not to the SW galaxy. That's a circumstance, and a mode, that should begin and end with the films. Before and after, local struggles and dramas are best.

BrianDavion
5 October 2003, 03:08 PM
the original idea for the NJO was a return of the sith, lucas himself shot it down.

my guess is Nom Annor. I mean that guy just won't die :)

Talonne Hauk
6 October 2003, 10:20 AM
You should be thinking bigger than that; this is Star Wars, after all. How about a new dark side religion based upon Vong bioforming? That would make some creepy stories, I think. By the way, for some really good creepy Star Wars stories, I suggest picking up the latest Star Wars Tales. It's worth the price, believe me.

Ravager_of_worlds
6 October 2003, 10:51 AM
I'm voting for giant teddy bears with paid advertising on their bellies as they rampage across the galaxy with such names as "grumpy bear" and "sunshine bear."

In all seriousness, I'm betting the Vong destroy the lucas universe and thus the entire Star Wars timeline. There might be a reason why the galaxy is far far away and we should be happy because of it.

As for the sith... as long as holocrons keep hiding in ancient crypts and long forgoten vaults, never rule out a new Sith. they're like a bad penny.

Darthspectre84
7 October 2003, 08:10 AM
Sitha re basically extinct. The only way they could come back is by a holocron or some spirit of a Dark lord. But Dark Jedi are plenty..Sitha re the epitome of the Dark Side while Dark Jedi are just Jedi gone to the darkside but know the basics. Thats how i see it...

And besides, as Nova Spice said that the Vong are still going to be the enemy. He already mentioned some prominent names among the Vong. Like Malik Carr, i think he was in Agents of Chaos right? he seemed particularly ruthless heh.

michaleg
7 October 2003, 08:50 AM
Hi,

What if the race that invented the hyperdrive (which we know as some alien race) were some sort of migrating parasitic race that had geocide committed against them and their techology stolen.

What some ancient laboratory had a specimen encased? what if that specimen was discovered and revived?

They could be technologically advanced, Borg like?

Michael G

BrianDavion
7 October 2003, 10:11 AM
if a borg like race ever is introduced into star wars, I'm dropping the series. the Borg where IMHO the STUPIDEST villans out there. also the Yuuzhan Vong currently occupy the same niche that the borg and dominion did in trek

Nova Spice
7 October 2003, 02:25 PM
He already mentioned some prominent names among the Vong. Like Malik Carr, i think he was in Agents of Chaos right? he seemed particularly ruthless heh.

Indeed, Spectre, Malik Carr made his appearance in Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial. He hasn't been heard from since his assault on Ord Mantell, but I have a strong feeling we may see him return alongside Nas Choka in The Unifying Force.

Solo666
7 October 2003, 05:18 PM
Remember Nom's vision?
He may be Force-Sensitive
Remember Coruuscant?
Palpatine lived there
Palpatine HAD A HOLOCRON
Does anybody smell Nom Anor: Dark Lord of the Sith besides me?

Kanner Ra'an
7 October 2003, 05:36 PM
Remember Nom's vision?
He may be Force-Sensitive
Remember Coruuscant?
Palpatine lived there
Palpatine HAD A HOLOCRON
Does anybody smell Nom Anor: Dark Lord of the Sith besides me?

Oh god i hope not.

I truely dont think Nom Anor is force sensative. Actually since Vong dont exist in the Force, i know he's not. I dont think he's vong sensitive either. Really i think he will end up dying in the Unifying Force.

As for a return of the Sith or/and the Empire. I think at this point we've seen the last of their Rein as the main villians. It got to be way too cliche in the books before the NJO. I hope we dont just see a return to the everyday superweapon of the month club.

What i do think will happen is we will see the novels go into a smaller scale. It wont be someone threatening to take over the world or something, but i do beleive we will see the main heroes (whoever their going to base them on) dealing with smaller threats that dont require a fleet all the time.

Ardent
11 October 2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by BrianDavion
the original idea for the NJO was a return of the sith, lucas himself shot it down.

I'm not sure I want to believe that myself. I think that stems from the fact that the character Nom Anor was originally introduced in Crimson Empire II, and was posing as a Sith Lord in order to collapse the Imperial Ruling Council onto itself.

The brilliant part of Nom Anor's inclusion as a major antagonist in the NJO saga is that it resolved a gigantic dangling end in the EU. There's been a lot of reading into it...a lot of mostly unnecessary reading.

BrianDavion
11 October 2003, 10:58 PM
well that's just the offical word I heard somewhere

Major T. Phennir
12 October 2003, 01:58 PM
I think that the Sith or at least a major Dark Jedi faction needs to arise if the Vong don't destroy the galaxy. What is the Star Wars universe without the Force? Anikin brought balence to the Force not by being the last Sith but by making it possible for one to redeem themselves after going dark.

Nova Spice
13 October 2003, 07:38 AM
What is the Star Wars universe without the Force?

No one said anything about Star Wars without the Force. The Force will always exist in the galaxy. With that in mind, it should be said that just because the Force will always exist, doesn't mean that the Jedi and Sith will always exist.

Anikin brought balence to the Force not by being the last Sith but by making it possible for one to redeem themselves after going dark.

But he was the last Sith. That's the thing. This is set in stone by George Lucas himself. That's why the entire post-ROTJ EU hasn't dealt with the Sith; because they are extinct and aren't coming back.

It might interest you to know that when the NJO was being planned, the development team originally planned for the invasion to be led by a Sith army. George Lucas told them: "No, absolutely not." Therefore they had to create a new enemy and something different. That's where the Yuuzhan Vong come in.

Solo666
13 October 2003, 07:53 AM
That was saying the invasion wasn't a Sith. Look at it this way:
The GFFA is struggling to rebuild itself. They have just gotten over a massive war, in which ancient wars and prejudices have been brought to light. The Jedi are still being blamed for much of the damage did by the Vong. And then, a Sith holocron is discovered on Yuuzhan'tar as the Vong work to recreate the planet (assuming that the GFFA won't waste the resources to rebuild it). A Force-user that blames the Jedi (Ithorian, perhaps) retrieves this holocron and BAG! The Sith have returned. Not too unlikely.

Major T. Phennir
13 October 2003, 09:00 AM
What I mean to say is that with the Force comes the ability to abuse its power. Therefore there will always be Dark Force Users and that a Dark Alliance could be used. Maybe the Living Planet could go dark and gather an army of Force sensitives that have been angered by the Vong and Jedi. Like Solo666 said why couldn't a Sith holocron be used to recreate the Sith, or perhaps a lost Sith colony somewhere deep in the Unknown Regions?

Ardent
13 October 2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Major T. Phennir
What I mean to say is that with the Force comes the ability to abuse its power. Therefore there will always be Dark Force Users and that a Dark Alliance could be used. Maybe the Living Planet could go dark and gather an army of Force sensitives that have been angered by the Vong and Jedi. Like Solo666 said why couldn't a Sith holocron be used to recreate the Sith, or perhaps a lost Sith colony somewhere deep in the Unknown Regions?

Probably because all the Sith holocrons have been accounted for, and if I don't miss my guess, disposed of.

Nothing is stopping you, as a GM, from having one crop up and the Sith Empire be reborn, but GL has said no for the issue of continuity.

Nova Spice
13 October 2003, 10:25 AM
Like Solo666 said why couldn't a Sith holocron be used to recreate the Sith, or perhaps a lost Sith colony somewhere deep in the Unknown Regions?

Mainly because, as my good buddy Ardent explained, all the Sith holocrons have been accounted for and disposed. The Sith are dead for all continuity purposes.

Granted, if you want to create an RPG campaign centered around the idea you have cited, then by all means, go for it. But as far as canon material, there will never be a Sith menace after ROTJ. ;)

The GFFA is struggling to rebuild itself. They have just gotten over a massive war, in which ancient wars and prejudices have been brought to light. The Jedi are still being blamed for much of the damage did by the Vong. And then, a Sith holocron is discovered on Yuuzhan'tar as the Vong work to recreate the planet (assuming that the GFFA won't waste the resources to rebuild it). A Force-user that blames the Jedi (Ithorian, perhaps) retrieves this holocron and BAG! The Sith have returned. Not too unlikely.

Haha....well the thought of an Ithorian Sith Lord is unlikely. Hilarious even. :D

However, it needs to be known that the likelihood of a Sith holocron on Yuuzhan'tar now is indeed, not likely. As explained above, all the holocrons have been accounted for and destroyed. And if there had been a Sith Holocron on Coruscant (prior to its fall), I would imagine Luke and the other Jedi would have found out.

I hate to be the messenger in all of this, but I think it's necessary. While we can speculate all we want (that's what this forum is for, right?! :D ), the fact remains.

The Sith are extinct.

Darthspectre84
13 October 2003, 01:18 PM
Yep the Sith are dead, at best the spirit of a Sith Lord might be awakened like what happened with Exar Kun but its not like the SIth will come back.
You will have dark jedi but not Sith, Sith were a bloodline and had mastery of the darkside. Dark Jedi are jedi gone bad. SImple.

As i said before, the above ones i posted well be the most you will expect. No bigtime invasions or sith return type thing. I would imagine stuff like...uhm Jedi stuck on a planet in the Unknown Regions and fight off parasitic aliens on a planet. Or trying to stop a Vong from tyring to bring the War again. Or a mad shaper trying to shape Jedi into the perfect killing machine. Or GA people trying to release a version of Alpha Red. Or a crime lord causing problems. And even the occassional dark jedi who wants revenge/bringing the sith back/power stuff. Or even fighting a Sith Lord spirit but these will all be done in small scale. The galaxy has suffered enough for now ;)

But again as Nova Spice and Ardent have pointed out No New Sith.

Jeskan
13 October 2003, 02:43 PM
I think that maybe after NJO things are going to focus on the rebuilding of the Jedi. No big enemies right away

Nova Spice
13 October 2003, 03:22 PM
I think that maybe after NJO things are going to focus on the rebuilding of the Jedi. No big enemies right away

Yea, this is along the lines of what I've been thinking, Jeskan. I think Troy Denning's post-NJO trilogy will deal with the reconstruction of the galaxy. I seriously doubt we'll see something as dramatic as what has occured in the NJO.

That might be nice for a change, too.

Solo666
13 October 2003, 06:04 PM
Star Wars has never gone any length of time w/o a catastrophe- why would it stop after a war? I think, going off my Sith topic, that some old enemy of theirs. Maybe an exiled Alderaanian, a smuggler, evemn an imperial senator. Perhaps Pallaeon will be assassinated by that Moff who hates him-what's his name...

Nova Spice
13 October 2003, 07:12 PM
Star Wars has never gone any length of time w/o a catastrophe- why would it stop after a war?

"There hasn't been a full scale war since the formation of the Republic."-Sio Bibble, Episode II: Attack of the Clones

-The six years in-between the Hand of Thrawn Duology and Vector Prime are also free from catastrophe. I wouldn't consider the Shadow Academy a catastrophe.
-Between the end of the Sith War and the start of the Stark Hyperspace Conflict, there is nearly a thousand years of relative peace. This is where Bibble's comment takes on credence.

Peace is as much apart of Star Wars as war itself. ;)

Maybe an exiled Alderaanian, a smuggler, evemn an imperial senator. Perhaps Pallaeon will be assassinated by that Moff who hates him-what's his name...

I'm not trying to shoot you down at all. I'm just pointing out the fact that old enemies are gone. Everyone keeps trying to cling on to the warlord-of-the-week syndrome. Since Sernpidal's moon killed Chewbacca, old enemies have ceased to exist.

-An exiled Alderaanian and smuggler do not constitute much of a threat. I'm not sure where you're going with these two archetypes.
-As far as an Imperial senator goes, there's no such animal. The Imperial Remnant, for all intents and purposes, is dead. That aside, the Emperor disbanded the Senate in A New Hope, so Imperial senators haven't existed for nearly three decades.
-Even if Pellaeon were to be assassinated my Moff Kurlen Flennic, this wouldn't start a new war. Nearly the entire Remnant (or what used to constitute the Remnant) is loyal to Pellaeon. Flennic would be killed quickly. Threat eliminated.

Now with these three topics in mind, I'd like to point out that all throughout the NJO, various plots and challenges have been assembled skirting around the idea of an alliance with the Imperial Remnant. It took fifteen novels and let me repeat that figure. Fifteen novels for the New Republic and Imperial Remnant to finally merge together.
Should there suddenly be some Imperial "threat" after the NJO would completely undo the work that fifteen novels (from Vector Prime to Force Heretic I: Remnant) did to bring these two groups together.

The Sith are dead. The Imperial Remnant and the New Republic are allies. The "old" threats and enemies cease to exist. ;)

Faraer
14 October 2003, 07:26 AM
How can you think that 'Star Wars has never gone any length of time w/o a catastrophe'?

There's a really long time, an effective eternity, of the Republic's peace, prosperity, and then insidious decline. Then there is a SUDDEN and BRIEF period in which the world turns upside down, everything that was taken for granted fails, and long-stored conflicts erupt in military and metaphysical war. The long-forgotten Sith return and enslave the galaxy. Then they're destroyed. It's a happy ending, a eucatastrophe. The galaxy returns to peace: in many ways as it was before, yet also fundamentally changed.

You can be absolutely sure that a succession of further Threats To All is not what happens in Lucas's galaxy, and that it is (naively or calculatedly) incompatible with the meaning of the films.

Darthspectre84
14 October 2003, 08:00 AM
Even though there will be a period of reconstruction there will not be complete peace. Cause the entire galaxy only united when something came taht would have wiped them out. Now that the threat is uhm "nuetralised" in a sense, the galaxy people might revert back to normal behaviour. AKA being divided and squabbles with one another. But these will be in a small sense, not galactic ruin.

And you might encounter people who want the old Empire back but it will not go to war. It will be like trying tio strain relations between the two sides by assassination and stuff but nothing too serious.

But i hope now we get to see cool adventures in the Unknown Regions, no doubt there are some very dangerous creatures there. Hopefully ;)

Nova Spice
14 October 2003, 04:04 PM
Even though there will be a period of reconstruction there will not be complete peace. Cause the entire galaxy only united when something came taht would have wiped them out. Now that the threat is uhm "nuetralised" in a sense, the galaxy people might revert back to normal behaviour. AKA being divided and squabbles with one another. But these will be in a small sense, not galactic ruin.

Hate to rain on the parade, Spectre, but I personally don't believe the Vong will be "neutralized" or that the alliance is only temporary.

There's been way too much effort put in to bringing the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant together. And if I had to take a guess, I would say the Hutts and the Chiss will join the bandwagon in the final novel next month.

Though I do agree that there will not be another galactic wide conflict to come in the post-NJO period. At least not for decades. Possibly centuries. I do foresee Luke, Jacen, and ultimately Ben Skywalker bringing about a new golden age to the Jedi Order.

While we might see an end to Shimrra and his followers, the Yuuzhan Vong are here to stay. And we all know that they've taken too much territory to be regained. Should the Galactic Alliance choose to retake all that they have lost, it would take generations of more war and more sacrifice. I do not foresee the citizens of the galaxy having the fortitude for another war of that magnitude.

Ardent
14 October 2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Darthspectre84
And you might encounter people who want the old Empire back but it will not go to war. It will be like trying tio strain relations between the two sides by assassination and stuff but nothing too serious.[/B]

As Nova Spice has mentioned, the Warlord-of-the-week episodes are over, and I believe that's per GL. The only warlord left is yours truly. ;)

If the Empire cannot hold itself to the Galactic Alliance, it will out and out cease to exist, I think. The Imperial Navy, particularly Pellaeon's senior aides, are canny enough to realize that with the Galactic Alliance they again have a home where their services are respected and admired, rather than simply greedily fought over.

Without the support of the Imperial Navy, no Moff would have a chance at a bid for power, and the likelihood of another warlord rising under Pellaeon's command or from the ashes of his command is nil. Pellaeon very much believed in and heeded Thrawn's message and warning.

Solo666
14 October 2003, 06:25 PM
Since Palpy came to power, the books have been about action, dangers to the Jedi, to the Chief of State, that sort of thing. Pallaeon is setting himself up for assassination by that Moff. That would be minor, but after the war it could be catastrophic

Ardent
14 October 2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Solo666
Since Palpy came to power, the books have been about action, dangers to the Jedi, to the Chief of State, that sort of thing. Pallaeon is setting himself up for assassination by that Moff. That would be minor, but after the war it could be catastrophic

Pellaeon is canny enough to know that the Moffs want him dead, which is exactly why killing him won't help them. In order to assume control of the Imperial Navy, you'd have to assassinate every senior officer and ship Captain in the fleet. Not a great idea, all things considered.

BrianDavion
14 October 2003, 06:50 PM
Should the Galactic Alliance choose to retake all that they have lost, it would take generations of more war and more sacrifice

yeah unlike the Vong they can't just take all those wrolds in a matter of months! :(

Nova Spice
14 October 2003, 08:05 PM
yeah unlike the Vong they can't just take all those wrolds in a matter of months!

True, very true. Though bear in mind, Brian, that with the beginning of The Unifying Force marks the five year mark of the invasion.

So I suppose a more accurate description would be, the Vong took everything in a matter of a few years. Frightening to say the least. 8o

BrianDavion
14 October 2003, 09:14 PM
I'm just a tad bitter about this "invading force from the outer regions sweeps in and conquers more territory in a month then has been conquered in the past 10 years.

It's become such a cliche thing among sci-fi.

Solo666
16 October 2003, 05:49 PM
Though bear in mind, Brian, that with the beginning of The Unifying Force marks the five year mark of the invasion.
So I suppose a more accurate description would be, the Vong took everything in a matter of a few years.
Hasn't the last year or so had the Vong in power and the Natives trying to reclaim it? So really it was more like 4 of invading

Nova Spice
16 October 2003, 07:42 PM
Hasn't the last year or so had the Vong in power and the Natives trying to reclaim it? So really it was more like 4 of invading

No. The invasion is five years old. Despite Vong setbacks since Traitor, the terminology still applies. As seen in every novel, the Vong haven't ceased their efforts. In Force Heretic I: Remnant, the Vong all but obliterate the Empire. In Force Heretic II: Refugee, the Vong have infiltrated the Ssi-ruuk and make plans for an all-out invasion of Chiss space. In Force Heretic III: Reunion, the Vong not only launch an attack on Zonama Sekot, they also annihilate Generis (a major communications relay). We also learn in this series that the Firrerreo, Yevetha, and Barabels have been wiped out. Belderone and Generis are annihilated, and the Koornacht Cluster is all but in Vong control.

So, I'd have to say that the Vong are definitely still on the offensive; albeit against more "soft" targets.

Jeskan
22 October 2003, 10:36 AM
i just thought of possibly the Bothans acting as a villian for a while after NJO

Darthspectre84
22 October 2003, 11:20 AM
Yeah that is an interesting plot that might continue after the Invasion is over. Cause Krea'fey (sp?) said that his people had committed genocide against 2 other species long ago. And the race does not rest till every last world and individual of that species is wiped clean from history. So....

Jim Williams
22 October 2003, 11:35 AM
I definitely hope this is a theme for the post-NJO saga. Genocide no matter how you slice it is wrong. Although the cultural practices of the Yuuzahn Vong are deeply instilled and distasteful, committing genocide against them is simply wrong. IMO. If The Unifying Force ends with a peace of sorts, well, we know who protects the peace in this heah galaxy, mistah. And metes out the justice ta boot.

Solo666
22 October 2003, 12:51 PM
what would the bothans do if the GFFA tried stop them?
What is their military like?

Jim Williams
22 October 2003, 12:54 PM
Story-wise it will be as beefy as it needs to be ;)

However, there is evidence that their military is a force to be reckoned with in that they construct their own military vessels. I think it would be prudent to now put the Bothans on par with the Mon Cals...

Kanner Ra'an
22 October 2003, 02:59 PM
I think it would be prudent to now put the Bothans on par with the Mon Cals...

I have to disagree their. The Mon Calamari have been the backbone of the fleet for a long time, and im pretty sure a very large ammount of their heavy forces are still Mon Cal cruisers. I think the bothan have been beefing up their military to be atonomos, but not to the point of the mon calamari. Id say their effective strength is closer to that of the corperate sector instead. Though with more advanced but fewer ships.

Ardent
22 October 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Kanner Ra'an

I have to disagree their. The Mon Calamari have been the backbone of the fleet for a long time, and im pretty sure a very large ammount of their heavy forces are still Mon Cal cruisers. I think the bothan have been beefing up their military to be atonomos, but not to the point of the mon calamari. Id say their effective strength is closer to that of the corperate sector instead. Though with more advanced but fewer ships.

Kanner makes a very astute observation, but he overlooks one major point: the Mon Calmari are a major military production group, while the Bothans are not. Aside from the Shadwport on the far side of the system, they barely even have adequate repair facilities for a fleet of any size.

The Mon Calamari produce probably a quarter of the vessels the New Republic employs, and enlists millions of able crewmen. The Bothans...not so much.

Solo666
22 October 2003, 05:52 PM
With a Bothan as Chief of State, the Bothans may have gotten some help the rest of the galaxy is unawartre of. Also, because of Alpha Red they may form an Alliance with the Chiss against the GFFA. Although I doubt the Chiss would go for something so foolish. A breakaway faction of the EMpire may join them. Anyone else think of any possible equalizers if there was a war?

Ardent
22 October 2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Solo666
With a Bothan as Chief of State, the Bothans may have gotten some help the rest of the galaxy is unawartre of. Also, because of Alpha Red they may form an Alliance with the Chiss against the GFFA. Although I doubt the Chiss would go for something so foolish. A breakaway faction of the EMpire may join them. Anyone else think of any possible equalizers if there was a war?

While almost nobody likes Borsk, it's unfair to those who were keeping a close eye on him to say that there was any sort of under-the-table dealings going on to get Bothans a bigger, better military.

Bothawui had a slightly larger defense group than perhaps it should have, but frankly that's something to be expected.

Speculating on help that nobody in the galaxy is aware is silly, because if nobody was aware of it, we'd never have heard about it and it never happened.

I'd rather avoid ridiculous conspiracy plotlines. A simple nation building storyline would be fine. ;)

Darthspectre84
23 October 2003, 08:26 AM
Indeed about the Bothans but I doubt they would try to go against the GFFA directly. Cause from a logical point of view they would be between a rock and a hard place. GFFA agianst them one side and Vong on the other. No anything the Bothans do would be quiet...not a war type situation.

As for Bothan ships, i am not sure but wasnt it said that Bothan Assault Cruisers packed a punch but did no have good armour?

Jeskan
23 October 2003, 08:43 AM
im not saying Bothans against GFFA in a direct conflict. Im thinking more along the lines of something like the bothans want to obliterate the vong while maybe the Jedi try to protect them kind of thing but no action against each other.

scottyboy
23 October 2003, 02:02 PM
Well, what I heard (and I know that someone shot it down already, but I'll say it anyways)...

The Yuuzhan Vong are actually the Sith. I don't think that's outside the realm of possibility either. Think about it... sith alchemy... YV bio-tech... not that different, are they?

But that's just what I heard...

I think that it will be much the same thing as it was when the New Republic was formed. Random YV fleets out and about in the galaxy... every once in a while one gets a burr up it's A$$ and tries to get "vengeance." Just like it was with the Empire.

I think they'll do that for a while until either the SW universe dies, or someone thinks of some new super powerful baddie... Who knows though. WIth Lucas, it could be anything...

Solo666
23 October 2003, 04:11 PM
Well, what I heard (and I know that someone shot it down already, but I'll say it anyways)...
The original NJO theory was a Sith army, but it was shot down by Lucas

Darthspectre84
25 October 2003, 01:14 PM
As said before, the Sith are out of the story. Darkside users yes but no Sith. The Sith are extinct. So i doubt the Vong will be Sith cause that is simply...crazy. Does not make much sense really.

As for what will happen, true it may end up like after the Sith War with random Vong fleets and stuff. But it wont be exactly like that cause they would be remaking old plots really.

Solo666
26 October 2003, 09:35 AM
they may be like the Imps were- at war w/ different warlords struggling 4 control but eventually ignored until something major happens

Kanner Ra'an
26 October 2003, 10:08 AM
they may be like the Imps were- at war w/ different warlords struggling 4 control but eventually ignored until something major happens

Highly unlikly. Those themes are done. NJO was the result of that. I firmly beleive that the types of thing we saw in the NR era books are gone for good.

Zanus
26 October 2003, 10:20 AM
I don't know, I could see some problems coming up with independant despots. They already mentioned that there are some possible in Remnant. But I don't see this being the long dragged out problem that the imperial warlords where. Depending on what happens with the Vong, the GFFA could consolidate these loose worlds in a matter of a couple years, nothing really worth writing a ton of novels about. I think the most interesting thing they could do post vong would be the exploration of the unknown regions and what threats pop up there.

Solo666
26 October 2003, 12:06 PM
The Chiss have already explored the Unknown Regions. However, extragalactic encounters may increase. The Vong and Ssi-Ruuk are both from another galaxy (maybe not the Vong, but they say they are) and the only Republic mission out of the galaxy was destroyed

BrianDavion
26 October 2003, 01:05 PM
the Ssri-ukk are from a star cluster in the unkown region, not another galaxy

Zanus
26 October 2003, 10:07 PM
So what if the Chiss have explored most of it. The NR hasn't, so there is bound to be some sort of surprise there for them. The chiss, from what I have read so far, have simply served to hold off any dangers from reaching the rest of the galaxy, that doesn't necessarily mean they know everything that is in there, just what the more hostile things are and where to find them to stop them. Not to mention that if the Chiss are comitting forces against the vong, they may be weakened later if any of those threats decide to make a move again.

Darthspectre84
27 October 2003, 03:58 AM
Exactly what i was thinking. The Unknown Regions are vast, and even though the Chiss have explored it does not mean they know everything. Plus it gives the readers a chance to see what threats the Chiss have said they have been protecting the galaxy from. I dont think they will do extragalactic aliens again now. Cause that plot is done. Now is the time for small conflicts and recovery. So the Jedi (more likely Solos and Skywalkers ;)) will probably have to fight some rogue Yuuzhan Vong. Stop GFFA rogue members from trying to annhilate the vong, help rebuild and explore the Unknown regions. Any dangerous aliens they encounter will have the capacity of being a dangerous menace. So like the Ssi-Ruuk and Yevetha, in the beginning they were strong but had they not been stopped in the beginning they would have won the galaxy. So dangerous races in the Unknown Regions would be like that. Not liek the Vong who are cool and already a power to conquer a galaxy.

Solo666
27 October 2003, 12:45 PM
the Ssri-ukk are from a star cluster in the unkown region, not another galaxy
either in the truce at bakura or refugee, i remember a quote saying "when we first came to this galaxy" Nova Spice, if u're around, could u back me up?

Zanus
27 October 2003, 01:23 PM
From "Truce at Bakura Sourcebook", history of the Ssi-Ruuk

According to their records, the Ssi-ruuk were "the most adaptable of all the creatures of Lwhekk," their home planet. In time, the saurians dominated the surface of their planet, developing an advanced and intricate society. In time, the Ssi-ruuk develope dspace travel and they soon conquered the stars near their homeworld.
However, the aliens faced one major problem: dwindling natural resources. Having never developed the breakthroughs in fusion technology that helped galactic civilization expand to the stars, the Ssi-ruuk found their exploration efforts hampered by the need to carry huge fuel stores. Based on their records (and it is possible that the Alliance's interpretation of the Ssi-ruuvi mathematics is inaccurate), Ssi-ruuvi power systems are only one-eight as efficent as similar systems currently used in the Empire.
It was this rapid dwindling of resources- and the inability to develop more efficient systems - that led to the development of Ssi-ruuvi entechment technology. By using the entechment process to tap P'w'ecks as an energy source, the Ssi-ruuk were bale to maintain a fiarly stable level of energy. For a time, this method of energy production was considered somewhat distasteful but necessary.

It goes on to talk about how the political climate of their society changed to a more expansionist standing so they could get more resources and "energy supplies", and the whole concept of "consicrated" worlds where Ssi-ruuvi could die, and they shouldn't or can't die away from such a world. It also talks about the expansion that takes place bringing their empire to the borders of known space and encountering the first human colonies, which prove to be better energy sources, and how the Empire kept the knowledge of the Ssi-ruuk's existance away from the galaxy for their own purposes, and then into the events of Truce of Bakura. No where does it mention that the Ssi-ruuk are from another galaxy. In fact, every indication is that they wouldn't surive such a journey, as they didnt have the technology or energy to sustain such a journey.

Darth Fierce
27 October 2003, 01:40 PM
For the question on the Ssi-ruuk, look at the map of the galaxy pictured in the New Jedi Order novels. You'll see that the Ssi-ruuk star cluster is indeed located in the Unknown Regions, not too far from Chiss Space and Bakura.

Solo666
27 October 2003, 02:35 PM
I believe it was mentioned by a vong in refugee anyway. I'll find it eventually

Darth Fierce
27 October 2003, 02:53 PM
I think place in the novel your thinking of is when the human replicant droid who was supposedly the leader of Bakura is on the run and tries to report to who he thinks are the Ssi-ruuk. I might be wrong, but doesn't the "Ssi-ruuk" he reports to actually turn out to be a Yuuzhan Vong? If I remember right, the Vong says something about "When we first arrived in this galaxy..." before destroying the human replicant. Let me know if you find out.

Nova Spice
27 October 2003, 04:01 PM
I think place in the novel your thinking of is when the human replicant droid who was supposedly the leader of Bakura is on the run and tries to report to who he thinks are the Ssi-ruuk. I might be wrong, but doesn't the "Ssi-ruuk" he reports to actually turn out to be a Yuuzhan Vong? If I remember right, the Vong says something about "When we first arrived in this galaxy..." before destroying the human replicant. Let me know if you find out.

Fierce is indeed correct. The "Ssi-ruuk" was actually a Vong in disguise. Sorry, Solo666, but it appears you mistook a disguised Vong for an actual Ssi-ruuk.

"You are a fool, human," E'thinaa said. The general's breath stank, but Cundertol couldn't turn away from it.
"Did you honestly think that we wouldn't be ready for you? Do you believe us to be so stupid? We have learned much of your vile machines since coming to your galaxy. We know how to encourage your filthy technologists to perform for us, to build restraining bolts that activate on hearing a particular phrase. We are perfectly capable of stealing that which we require to reach our goals--goals you helped us attain. You sowed chaos; now we shall reap the rewards."
Cundertol yearned to turn away...
Since coming to your galaxy...
Panic flooded through him.
The alien's hideous face seemed to melt and peel away. The long snout folded back and rolled down the long neck, taking the triple-lidded eyes and scent-tongues with them.
Beneath lay a face more horrible than any Cundertol had ever imagined. A long, sloping forehead swept down to two gaunt, tattooed cheeks. Purple sacks bulged under cold, black eyes. Deep scars carved the gray flesh likes the cracks of an ice moon, and sharp teeth grinned at him as he realized his mistake.
-pg. 393, Force Heretic II: Refugee

Solo666
27 October 2003, 05:28 PM
thax i guess i didn't realize that- i assumed that if the vong saw the ssi-ruuk they would try kill them ASAP. i was looking forward to a war between the two.

Zanus
27 October 2003, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't doubt the vong will not look kindly on the Ssi-ruuk using the life force of living beings to power their machines, but beyond that they will likely treat them like any other infidel

Darthspectre84
28 October 2003, 03:40 AM
I am not sure but i red somewhere that in the the Ssi-Ruuk attack on Bakura they were controlled completely by the Vong. Not reall sure about this though....

Oh and it makes sense in attacking the Ssi-Ruuk cause it mentions that its the key for the Vong in attacking the Unknown Regions. Cause the Chiss beat up the Ssi-Ruuk so there must be a path that goes to Chiss colonies...

Ithorian
3 June 2005, 01:21 AM
I think a second generation of vong's, born during the war, will be force sensitive(Being born in a force sensitive galaxy may cause midi-chlorians to manifest themselves), so we see a Vong/dark jedi.

Or maybe, just maybe, my dream will come true and darth bane will be resurrected in a sith archive by a foolish Anakin Solo opening up his sith holocron. Darth Bane uses the dark side energy to become a physical form once more and kills Luke Skywalker.

I would like to see a true Ithorian main character aswell