PDA

View Full Version : Lando

Artorius
8 October 2003, 03:23 PM
Has anything ever been published, canon or apocryphal stating Lando's homeworld?

Kordeth
8 October 2003, 04:56 PM
The databank at the official Star Wars site lists his homeworld as "Unknown," so I'd say there isn't.

Zanus
8 October 2003, 10:17 PM
I think I like it that way. Lando is more interesting with some mystery to him. almost like Boba Fett, but we all know where he came from now.

To bad we can't use that "well, when two people really love each other" excuse anymore when someone asks where Boba is from. Now we have to say "When a scientist is really bored and has the galaxies best bounty hunter on hand" or something like that.....

Nemo Sage
8 October 2003, 11:26 PM
Ironically, I know a rumor cropped up a while ago that had Lando being a clone, for what ever thats worth.

Darth Fierce
9 October 2003, 04:20 AM
Oh no!!! The next thing you know, the Galactic Alliance is going to have to take on his evil counterpart, Laando. :D

Seriously though, with the way that Lando dresses and how he speaks, I would guess that he's probably Coruscant-born, although I wouldn't rule out Kuat, Corellia, or even possibly Chandrila.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Rogue Janson
9 October 2003, 06:39 AM
Seriously though, with the way that Lando dresses and how he speaks, I would guess that he's probably Coruscant-born, although I wouldn't rule out Kuat, Corellia, or even possibly Chandrila.
Yeah, but knowing him he could be from a rim world and simply have adopted the style. We know very little about Lando's younger days. The Han Solo trilogy (not the old one) has some oblique references. I'm pretty certain it mentions he had parents, makign it unlikely he's a clone (not that I'd take that idea seriously in the first place). I think the reasons for his deep seated dislike of the Empire come from those times too, suggesting that possibly his parents were maybe killed/disappeared by the Empire - though I suspect it'd be something a little more complex, since this is far too common a device.

Fred Getce
9 October 2003, 08:04 AM
I could have sworn that all earlier information on Lando (from action figure cards, coloring books, etc.) said he was Corellian so he would be from Corellia. Of course that was in the early to mid eighties so who knows.

BrianDavion
9 October 2003, 12:25 PM
Lando never seemed to have a deep seated dislike of the empire in TESB. and after TESB well cloud city was eneugh for him to hate the empire...

Wedge Antilles, Rogue Leader
9 October 2003, 01:40 PM
I know Lando wa originaly supposed to be a clone of the Ashanti family, but that was in the draft the movie and isnt true. As for his homeworld, I don't know, though I doubt its Corellia

Admiral_Atredies
9 October 2003, 06:04 PM
Eh, ground best not trodden on if you ask me. Boba Fett, in my mind, was a much more menacing and appealing character before we heard him issue the words "Fire!!" in the cocpit of his clone-dad's ship. But, my guess is that Lando isn't a copy, because after all, he's the galaxy's number one ladykiller ;) :raised:.

Jericho_Narcas
9 October 2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Fred Getce
I could have sworn that all earlier information on Lando (from action figure cards, coloring books, etc.) said he was Corellian so he would be from Corellia. Of course that was in the early to mid eighties so who knows.

I remember that too.

Darth Fierce
10 October 2003, 04:16 AM
Well, we know for sure that he likely isn't Alderannian, otherwise he wouldn't have been so willing to deal with the Empire before he lost Cloud City. Also, you'd think that he'd at least know of Leia before the Millenium Falcon arrived at Cloud City if Lando was Alderaanian, and he appears to have no knowledge of her when they met in TESB.

In light of what has been mentioned, I'd place my money on that he is Corellian, although he might even be someone who was able to rise above the mean streets of a place like Nar Shaddaa. Then again, how does Lando seem to know so much about Coruscant that even our other heroes don't (e.g., that hot chocolate is a great treat on the planet)?

Darth Fierce :vader:

Ardent
10 October 2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Fred Getce

He's Corellian, but this only narrows it down to a sector, not a planet. But he definitely hails from the Corellian sector.

Rogue Janson
11 October 2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by BrianDavion
Lando never seemed to have a deep seated dislike of the empire in TESB. and after TESB well cloud city was eneugh for him to hate the empire...
Lando certainly does dislike the Empire in ESB - Han's "he's got no love for Empire" is enough to establish this. But with his responsibilities, he has also become pragmatic, and sees makes a deal as the best way to aid Cloud City and its residents. Of course, by the end of the film, he has learned his lesson and idealism has won through over pragmatism.

Lando being from the Corellian sector makes sense. I can't imagine him as an actual Corellian - for example, Han never refers to him as a fellow Corellian.

BrianDavion
11 October 2003, 11:27 AM
he's got no love for the empire is no suprise. most smugglers don't

Ronen Tal-Ravis
12 October 2003, 01:27 PM
Maybe he has no homeworld, maybe he was born ona space station or on a smuggling ship or something. BTW, is it ever mentioned in the movie that Han is from Corellia? I believe its in the novel, but I cannot remember a scene from the movie.

Ardent
12 October 2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Ronen Tal-Ravis
Maybe he has no homeworld, maybe he was born ona space station or on a smuggling ship or something. BTW, is it ever mentioned in the movie that Han is from Corellia? I believe its in the novel, but I cannot remember a scene from the movie.

Well, then he'd still be a Corellian. Wedge was born on a refueling hub and he's a Corellian. It's pretty clear that Corellian can refer both to a native of the planet of Corellia, a person hailing from the Corellian sector or a person embodying the traits affiliated with Corellians.

Zanus
13 October 2003, 12:22 PM
I thought refueling hub was just an SW term for gas station on a planet, kinda like Caf for coffee.

As far as if he was a corellian or not, he didn't seem to have that much familiarity with the corellian sector, no more then any other scoundrel that is, durring the corellian trilogy. Coarse that trilogy had alot of other problems. Personally I think if you are born on a space station or ship, then it is by the origins of the parents, as space isn't exactly 'owned' by anyone. The registry for the ship or station could be another factor. If a ship is registered on corellia, or one of the other planets in the sector, then the paper work may list corellia as origin.

But, even with all that, I think it is still better to just let it be unknown on what world Lando is from.

JediJester
16 October 2003, 09:48 AM
I'm on the "Leave it unknown" band wagon here. Part of Lando's whole allure is that he's this mysterious, wandering, debonaire, scoundrel who potrays himself as just out to make a buck here and there, but really has a heart of gold. If you pin him down to a homeworld, there goes part of his whole allure. I mean, we all know that ladies are attracted to "men of mystery", why change the mystery about him? :raised:

Ardent
16 October 2003, 09:51 AM
I'm in the "Personally I think he's from Nubia, but Corellian is close enough." bandwagon here. ;)

I mean, come on! Wouldn't Lando be a Nubian?

Dr_Worm
16 October 2003, 10:26 AM
Considering that Nubia is a typical Star Wars Stereotyping pun I would say so. Especially considering the decade that Lando was brought to life on screen.

As a side note: :Lando is now available as a Lego Figure for the first time.

Rogue Janson
17 October 2003, 02:22 AM
Hmm, Lando a Nubian? He doesn't seem to have the Nubian temperament to me, excepting an appreciation for high-quality craftsmanship. Considering that everyone in Star Wars tends to be the offspring of another character (or two), can you imagine Lando being the son of Captain "you can't take her Royal Highness there!" Panaka?

wolverine
17 October 2003, 02:51 AM
Ohh.. What about the ATOC captain... can't remember his name of the top of my head...

Ardent
17 October 2003, 05:59 AM
Typho? Panaka and Typho aren't even token blacks, I don't think. Both actors are Pacific Islander IIRC/

Jake Sunspot
4 November 2003, 01:45 AM
I was just talking about this the other day. I guessed he was probably from Coruscant as he certainly seems to have a "Core World Nobility" about him, but that doesn't preclude him from being Corelian or even Nubian;) for that matter. I like that it hasn't been covered though, kind of maintains that mysterious dark stranger aspect (wow the puns just don't stop)

As a Token black myself, I can say that Panaka is definatly of African decent. But he could still be from a Pacific Island.