PDA

View Full Version : Who Really is Ben Skywalker?

Darth Fierce
18 October 2003, 08:02 AM
This idea's been rolling around in my head for quite a while now, so let me toss it out for everyone to consider. I forget which NJO novel it's in, but during the time that Mara is pregnant with Ben Skywalker, Luke touches the unborn child's mind and finds that he feels initimately connected with the child's mind/soul. That got me thinking...could it be possible that Ben Skywalker is none other than the reincarnated soul of Obi-Wan (Ben) Kenobi? I mean, we know from the Dark Empire series that souls can be transferred in the SW universe, is it hard to believe that something similar to the Emperor's soul being transferred into his clones could be the case with Obi-Wan and Ben? Let me know what you think.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Nova Spice
18 October 2003, 08:09 AM
I mean, we know from the Dark Empire series that souls can be transferred in the SW universe, is it hard to believe that something similar to the Emperor's soul being transferred into his clones could be the case with Obi-Wan and Ben?

From my understanding of Transfer Essence, it is without a doubt a dark side ability. Add that to the fact that Obi-Wan willingly became one with the Force, and I do not think it is possible for him to "return." It is mentioned in the Thrawn Trilogy that Luke no longer has visits from Ben because his spirit has joined the Force forever.

While I do not believe that Ben is the "reincarnated spirit of Obi-Wan", I do believe that Ben will be the one to ultimately bring about the new Golden Age of the Jedi and finally give peace back to the galaxy.

BrianDavion
18 October 2003, 10:45 AM
why does everyone have to have a great destiny? maybe Ben felt intimitly connected to Luke because the kid is Luke's son?:)

Darth Fierce
18 October 2003, 12:16 PM
Perhaps the example of the Emperor and his clones was a bad one, as I know that Obi-Wan would not knowingly use Dark Side powers. But maybe this is something different, something not unlike the healing powers demonstrated by some Jedi (after all, when Luke touches his unborn son's mind, it is at a point where both Mara and the baby are in grave danger of dying). Perhaps Old Ben found some way to reach through the Force to help out. I just remember something being said that Luke felt that there was something that felt very familiar about his son's mind when he reached out to touch it.

If I'm right there was also some quote, as if someone was speaking to Luke during this period, indicating that Ben has a great destiny (I just wish I remembered what the quote was).

I don't know, maybe Ben will be the SW version of Shirley MacClaine, thinking that he's had several past lives. Then again, just because Old Ben is gone, doesn't necessarily mean his essence couldn't be recycled to form the soul of little Ben.

Darth Fierce :vader:

BrianDavion
18 October 2003, 12:31 PM
I doubt it's old ben, frankly Luke didn't know Obi-wan all that well when you think of it.

most likely Luke mearly felt connected to the kid because it's *gasp* his kid.

remember how deep the connection between Luke and Vader was?

Ardent
18 October 2003, 12:56 PM
Well, the idea of reincarnation has never really been discussed in Star Wars, but when a spirit becomes one with the Force, this is essentially what's going on. Now, a reincarnated spirit will never be exactly the same person, they'll have a lot of the same attributes and virtues, however.

It's sort of like this...when a spirit reincarnates they leave a template. That template is applied to a new life, and while you don't end up with the same spirit inhabiting a new body, you end up with two people who share dispositions, outlooks, morality and ethical belief.

Kordeth
19 October 2003, 10:59 AM
I have to agree with BrianDavion on this one. Occam's Razor, guys and gals--Ben Skywalker is a) Luke's kid, and b) Force-sensitive. Naturally Luke feels intimately connected to him.

Now, I don't read the NJO, so I don't know the exact wording of the passage in question--but unless it was written in such a way that it seemed Luke thought this connection was really, really weird, I think you're reading way too much into this.

Solo666
22 October 2003, 01:02 PM
Remeber Jedi kids can be felt. I think at one point uke felt Jacen and Jaina before they were born, and Ben is more related to Luke than they are