PDA

View Full Version : whats in a YV ship

powalsh
22 October 2003, 06:41 AM
I am looking for thoughts and or possible hard knowledge on the interior schematics of Yuzzhan Vong capitol class vessels. I have a campaign running that has led to the rescue of innocents aboard one of these awfull ships. So I am trying to get as much info on them as possible. I know lengths and names, but I dont know how they are arranged internally. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rogue Janson
22 October 2003, 07:16 AM
It's very hard to say, as in some cases we don't even know whether functions are controlled by the crew or the vessel. Things we know for certain are that Yuuzhan vong capital ships have bridges, crew and living quarters, cargo holds and similar basic areas. We can assume that most 'systems' on a YV ship can be accessed for maintenance and control (eg. we know the dovin basals are), though they may be distributed differently - dovin basals are multifunction and may be spread out through the ship - meaning there may not be areas analogous to engineering, sensors and the like.
As for how sections are laid out inside a ship, I don't think we have any idea (save for a few special examples that are described).

The best single source of information may be the book where Corran, Tahiri and Anakin are aboard a YV scout vessel - the second Edge of Victory book, I think.

Darthspectre84
22 October 2003, 11:31 AM
I think it was mentioned in one the books that YV ships internal layout are all different since like people they are different from one another. I think it was in the Star by Star. But dont quote me on that.

Jim Williams
22 October 2003, 11:39 AM
And boy that would be a nasty surprise when our heroes think they have correct scematics for X-class YV ship and are wrong.

"Okay, we, errr, open this, ummm, door? and the prisoner holding area should be on the other side."

<Door opens>

"Hmmm, do prisoners usually get scarred up like that and practice amphistaff fighting tactics at battalion level?"

"@#$% Shut the door it's the Warrior caste training quad!"

BrianDavion
22 October 2003, 03:14 PM
I iamgine the insides m ight not be pleasent eaither, the insides of the ship likely are going to be moist and fleshy...

Lord Darth Vader of the Sith
24 October 2003, 06:54 PM
if you read star by star they give a pretty good description in that one too

The use conignation hoods to control the ship which interfaces with their thoughts and is spoken in vong.

And on the star by star ship they had a lot of ducts

Darthspectre84
25 October 2003, 01:56 PM
Cognition hood, also they respond by voice orders. They have navi-brains. These are what the name says, brains of the ship that do most calculations. Also in Agents of Chaos, the tactician had a large 6 legged insects attached to his arm which was atatched to the ship. This allowed the tactician to recieve reports. Also i would imagine ngdin roaming around eating any waste matter or dead flesh. Another thing was that YV ships eat rocks, so perhaps there are large stomachs to digest the...uhm rocks heh. And probably some symbiotic and parasitic creatures roaming around.

Rogue Janson
25 October 2003, 03:03 PM
I'm sure ships also have Maw Lur or equivalent creatures to process waste.

We still haven't got much about the layout of YV ships, but I think we can work some out.

On a planet, rocks come from the ground. Therefore it makes sense for a ship's 'mouths' to be near the ground, at least for any ship that might land on a planet. For ships limited to space, the 'mouths' may be located near docking apparatus so they can take on nutrients from a larger ship or base.
The ship's stomach(s) are in turn likely to be located near its mouths. Yuuzhan Vong ships don't seem to use much volatile food/fuel so there's little need to keep storage in well protected areas.

Dovin basals project their voids in an arc, with limited range, so they need to be near the area they cover. Any Yuuzhan Vong vessel will have its dovin basals concentrated near the front, where they provide propulsion most efficiently (and can also shield the most incoming fire).

Yuuzhan Vong vessels, seem not to use windows in their bridges, so these can be located safely inside the ship, rather than in an exposed area. (I think there are exceptions though, like Harrar's priestship.)

Darthspectre84
26 October 2003, 04:17 AM
One thing is that the Spawn ships (aka Priest ships) dovin basals are mobile so they can move anywhere on the ship. I think it was mentioned in Agents of Chaos.

I forgot about the Maw Luurs......but i think perhaps it depends on the size of the ship as well. Cause for some reason i see Maw Luurs as very large creatures.
Also since they are living creatuers serious damage will cause "blood" to spew out into space. Was mentioned a couple of times.

powalsh
28 October 2003, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the input, I like the idea of large stomach chambers as well as digestive tracks and roaming symbiotic monsters. I also think that the frame would be similar to bone. So there is always the possibility to test how hollow it is. Anyway tonight is the night so thanks again for the suggestions.