PDA

View Full Version : VII-IX? How many more times will we hear this rumor?

dgswensen
22 October 2003, 02:17 PM
From Sci Fi Wire:

The Dark Horizons Web site reported a new rumor that a long-hoped-for—and long-denied—third trilogy of Star Wars films may be back on the drawing board. Citing an anonymous "insider source," the site reported that a sequel trilogy "might happen."

Star Wars creator George Lucas originally told journalists that his plan was to create three trilogies of films: the original one that included the first Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, a prequel trilogy and a sequel trilogy that would pick up the story after the events in Jedi, consisting of Episode VII through IX. Subsequently, Lucas said he never intended to do the sequel trilogy.

But now, the source told Dark Horizons, "apparently there is some talk, even to the point of [Steven] Spielberg—who was interested in doing [Star Wars: Episode II—Attack of the Clones] at one point—stepping in for Lucas, who may want to write, but probably won't want to direct." The source added that it's possible Lucas could strike a deal with writer/director Frank Darabont, who is writing the script for the proposed fourth Indiana Jones movie, to write the sequel scripts.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2003-10/21/09.00.rumors

Hmm... so, actual possibility, or just more wishful thinking?

BrianDavion
22 October 2003, 03:10 PM
any "anynomous 'insider source" sounds less then reliable.

Jedi_Staailis
22 October 2003, 03:18 PM
any "anynomous 'insider source" sounds less then reliable.

While I think this one may be a false report (seems a little too good to be true), details on movies and movie plans do leak, and they sure aren't leaked by named and validated sources. :)

Reverend Strone
22 October 2003, 04:17 PM
Curious. I'm sure something will happen after Ep III, but I was pretty sure it wouldn't be more movies- at least that's what every source i've spoken to has said. My bet would be on a TV show. Still, this is tantalising....

Solo666
22 October 2003, 05:45 PM
I heard that Lucas decided not to make 7-9. Also, have u guys noticed that Luke, Han and Leia have aged about 25 or so years since then? The Vong war is the only possibility unless they have really good makeup guys (Which I think they do). Still, I think the actors have moved on

dgswensen
22 October 2003, 06:10 PM
Given Lucas' direction so far, I imagine he would probably just go with virtual actors.

Zanus
22 October 2003, 07:00 PM
virtual actors, or the next movie would start later down the timeline so he could use the actors. Problem is, last I heard, Harrison Ford said he is not interested in doing another SW movie. He doesn't have a problem with indiana jones.

Anyway, the news of Lucas saying he didn't want to do the sequel trilogy has been around since Ep I. This is the second time I have heard the GL has decided to go ahead with them. Good to see he may have figured out how to do it. Even more happy to hear there may be someone other then him directing. I like his writing and ideas, but I didn't like his directing in the last couple movies. I am sure if I wasn't such a fan boy, I may find similar problems with the original three, if I cared enough to think about it. Coarse, Ep 1 didn't stop me from being at the head of the line openning day for Ep2.

I can't wait to see what happens in the next five years.

ALFRED_THE_EWOK
22 October 2003, 07:56 PM
I sure hope this is a false rumor.

Dr_Worm
22 October 2003, 09:31 PM
Mark my words...this rumor is BS. I have no doubt that he will stand true to his words and not make any more star wars films.

MassassiC
22 October 2003, 10:26 PM
Well the main reason GL has supplied for not wanting to do 7-9 is because it takes almost 10 years of his life and he wants to spend it more with his kids. Now with the possibility of someone else directing/producing the films, there is the possibility that he may relent and just write the sequals which would mean that he can do it at home...
As for who/what it will be about, I think it will still follow the Skywalker line, so perhaps an old Mark Hamill and someone playing Anakin who hopefully isn't 9 years old :)

Ardent
22 October 2003, 10:46 PM
If anything is done post-Episode VI it would almost certainly be episodic television. Whether the original actors would be interested in revising their roles...questionable. I think most have already said no.

BrianDavion
22 October 2003, 11:07 PM
I suspect it depends. they'd proably be willing to do a Cameo role for a bit of money. if I was them I'd leap at a chance to reprise their role breifly so they could negotiate some action figure royalites or something

Darth Fierce
23 October 2003, 05:36 AM
Chances are that this rumor will come up now and again as long as the Star Wars franchise (e.g., books, RPG, etc.) remains a viable industry.

As to whether the rumor of Episodes VII-IX will ever blossom into truth, I'd place my money on saying "No." That is not unless something dramatically changes regarding Lucas's view on the whole matter. And even if he did, I think we'd find that the storyline would have to focus on a whole new generation of heroes in that universe, as many people have already pointed out that most of the stars from the original films would not likely be interested in making a whole new trilogy. I think I remember hearing that the only cast member of the original trilogy that expressed any real interest in making a sequal to the series was
Billy Dee Williams. So, unless you'd want to follow the adventures of Lando and his new friends, I'd say don't hold your breath for a sequal to the original trilogy.

As for another TV series, I think that would be more likely. After all, we already know that the Clone Wars series is coming out in November. Can't wait to see it!

Darth Fierce :vader:

Moridin
23 October 2003, 07:04 AM
Moving to Rumors and Speculation...

CyferWolf
23 October 2003, 09:31 AM
could be that a sequel might not focus on the chars formt the trilogy. focus on an entirely differnet group, maybe have some real/virtual cameos from the core group.

ij thompson
23 October 2003, 09:41 AM
Ideally, I'd like to see Episodes VII-IX feature the original cast in the kinds of roles played by Alec Guiness and Peter Cushing. I actually would like to see it happen sometime. And I do know that there's a skeleton of a story out there, because I once read an interview with Alan Dean Foster (who wrote the SW novelization), and he seems to know a little about it, but is under contract not to reveal anything.

For me, there's only one real downside: John Williams. He's getting up there, and I would really hate to see some hack like James Horner come in and take over composing the score. :P

scottyboy
23 October 2003, 01:49 PM
I do feel that this particular rumor is BS, but I will never put it past the realm of possibility. Stranger things have happened to us all, I'm sure.

If Georgy-boy does decide to give the "go-ahead" with episodes VII-IX, I think that it will have to be way down the line, possibly even past the YV threat. It would probably focus on the lives of Jaina, Jacen and young Ben, I would imagine. I also believe that Lucas would want to use CG characters for the other mains (i.e. Luke, Leia and Han). I think that Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill may do the role for a high enough payday, but I do not believe that Harrison Ford will do it. If Lucas can't get them all to do it live, I believe he would opt to do them all CG. With him it's an "all or nothing" type of thing.

Even though I do think that this will never come to fruition, I would sincerely love to see what Spielberg could do with it! That would be phenominal! With Lucas' writing and Spielberg's directing, those movies could be a real treat! Anyways, enough of my ramblings... back into my hole I go!

BrianDavion
23 October 2003, 01:53 PM
ford might be willing to revisit Han Solo. it depends on hoew much cash GL waves at him

Admiral_Atredies
23 October 2003, 02:07 PM
Well, considered I've heard Lucas' "descision" to go to television after the prequels, I would say no, but it is hard for any fan to try and completely shun the idea:) Also, I'm quite sure Speilberg concided in his efforts to do a SW, as great as it would be.

Major T. Phennir
24 October 2003, 07:26 AM
Although extremely unlikely I would like to see some of the books like "The Han Solo Trilogy" and some of the Tales turned into mini-series. Even better yet would be a series based off the Golden Age of the Sith.

MalakiTyrel
24 October 2003, 08:01 AM
It might not be difficult to get at least some of the OT actors back. Hamill has stated repeatedly that he would love to revisit the role. I have an old "Bantha Tracks" mag that was done after RotJ with an interview with Hamill. In this interview, Hamill he said that GL approached him with the idea that Hamill would appear as an old Jedi in the sequels to "pass the torch" to the next generation. Hamill has always expressed an interest in doing this but realizes that it is all at GL's whim as to whether or not it will happen. Hamill has continued to express interest in the role whenever asked so I don't see it being that hard to get him back.

Peter Mayhew, Kenny Baker, and Anthony Daniels have expressed an interest in doing the sequels as well. The only hang up would be Harrison Ford, who has expressed that he has exactly "zero interest" in reprising the role of Solo. Carrie Fisher hasn't said one way or the other to my knowledge.

Whether or not this is yet one more false rumor or actually rumblings of the truth is anyones guess. George Lucas has always said he wanted to finish the story but also feels that more story might not be needed. Since the 6 movies will have a nice finality to them and tell the story of the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin he has said that he feels that the series can stand as it is with no more stories to tell.

As a hater of the NJO, I sincerely hopes GL decides to do it and re-write the entire post-Endor history (wiping out the NJO stories in the process). I guess everyone has a dream...

Zanus
24 October 2003, 11:20 AM
I have a feeling the solo twins and anakin would have a part in the sequel trilogy, if it where made. It seems to appropriate to me to have Luke work very hard to re-establish the jedi while leia continues the skywalker force lineage. As far as the plot, It could be something along the lines of the thrawn trilogy or Dark Empire series (palpy has been to much a part of the movie series to far to have him be done away with that easily). Coarse, they could do something like the Dune series where they advance things a few years and then show what the galaxy is like after that time, and some of the consequences with the fall of the emperor and the loss of the senate. For the life of me I can't think of what that would entail, but I am sure lucas had something very interesting planned for the final trilogy.

As far as the books, I have been reading all the EU in the full knowledge that they have no real berring on what lucas does with his movies. I will not go further into that, as it has been discussed on several other threads before. To me the EU and NJO is just other peoples guided interpretation of the events of the galaxy Lucas created. At the same time, it is possible that the final trilogy may be what the NJO is, but from what I have heard elsewhere, I guess that isn't the case.

Basically, if Lucas does give the green light on the sequel trilogy (hopefully with someone else directing) then there would likely be two diverging time lines, the EU and the movies. Personally, I believe this divide already exists because of the prequel trilogy changing what was believed to be the case in many of the early novels. Fortunetly, none of it is real, so it doesn't matter that much in the end :)

JohnnyONeal
28 October 2003, 11:33 AM
I think the first thing people have to remember when considering a rumor like this is that the Star Wars franchise is a business. It's a money machine for far more people than Lucas at this point, and some folks are going to want it to continue. That is the nature of franchises: unless some artistically integrous person is running the show and decides to call it quits, franchises will continue to build until they stop making money.

However, I don't expect new movies anytime soon. Right now, Star Wars is still gaining new fans, but unless the third movie is a step up from Episodes I and II, the public at large isn't going to be begging for sequels. Lucasfilm will probably give it some time; and Lucas will undoubtedly take a more removed role of co-writer and executive producer.

As for the sequels, I think they'll skip most of what we've currently seen in the EU. It's my understanding that certain post-ROTJ time frames are off-limits to EU authors, and I'm pretty sure they're leaving room for further exploration of the Skywalker clan. While I'm no fan of the NJO, I don't expect Lucasfilm to just deny its existence. They may not make it into a movie, but I think they'll generally avoid anything that will totally conflict with it. Why? Because they make money from the books, too, and they want to keep treating those best-selling novels with respect. While nerds like us notice the continuity differences between EU material and the prequels, the bigger picture is that Lucasfilm approves the books and strives to incorporate elements of the books into the movies.

Treefrog
1 November 2003, 05:05 PM
In the introduction of "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" George Lucas stated that he realized that the saga of the Skywalker clan could take at least nine films to tell.

Now, Mr. Lucas has changed his mind in the past. He'll probably change his mind in the future, but I really hope that he does do it. He originally announced that he would set the stage for the prequel trilogy by only directing The Phantom Menace.....obviously he changed his mind on that.

On a side note, if I was making films that were extremely profitable, I wouldn't stop making them unless they stopped making money.

BTW, I'm sure that if anyone should do VII-IX, and Mr. Lucas didn't want to, McCallum should be the one to direct them.

ij thompson
2 November 2003, 09:08 AM
Totally different skills, I'm afraid. Rick McCallum is a producer, which is a whole 'nother ball o' wax. The prequel trilogy is suffering enough because of bad direction already. If they were to make the next 3ogy, George had better do himself a favour and hire directors who know how to work with actors!

Vanger Chevane
3 November 2003, 02:27 PM
given the reputation of most things SW aggregating into quite the powerful entertainment Empire, you'd think that is the Flanneled Emporer decided to allow other ppl to direct, some of the best & brightest from round the globe would be lining up for the job.

Directing a SW movie, especially one that lives up to most of the fandom's expectations, comes with no small measure of prestige.

mojo1701
3 November 2003, 03:45 PM
I read off of IMDb that of both TPM and ANH, Fox Studios would let Lucas forego his salary as a director provided he owns the entire negative of the final cut of the film as well as ancillary rights of all toys and commercial tie-ins.

(See trivia for Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0120915/trivia))

(See trivia for Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/trivia))

There's a lot of other interesting trivia there.

Darth L33T
4 November 2003, 04:46 AM
Arrrrrgh!! (Frustration scream, not pirate saying)

I don't care how vague teh rumors are, or how unlikely the sources sound... I will now proceed to hound Lucas about this rumor until it becomes FACT!

I will now proceed to rant and rave in L33Tspeak.

Thi5 su><ors! (This bites!)