PDA

View Full Version : State of the Galaxy: 4000 years before Ep1

JohnnyONeal
24 October 2003, 01:09 PM
I'm researching Star Wars expanded universe history for the Knights of the Old Republic fan supplement (http://www.coveworld.net/kotor-d20), and I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I have a good understanding of meta-level stuff: politics, war and technology. I know what's happening on Tatooine, Dantooine and Kashyyyk. But what else is going on?

If you have any knowledge on this subject, please let me know:

* The state of notable planets: Coruscant, Yavin IV, Naboo, Dagobah, Bothawui, Mon Calamari, Nar Shaddaa, etc.
* Planets and species that have not yet been discovered
* Other key events that might make good adventure hooks

I'd be interested in any insight. Thanks!

Darth Fierce
24 October 2003, 02:09 PM
As far as planets are concerned, roughly 4,000-3,990 years BBY Coruscant is rebuilding following the assault on it during the Sith War. By the time of KOTOR, though, most of the repairs are probably complete, although the events of the Sith War would likely still be remembered by those who were relatively young during that time.

As far as Nar Shaddaa is concerned, I'd say it's likely that it pretty much looks similar to what has been described about this planet in the novels which take place closer to the Battle of Yavin. In other words, Nar Shaddaa's probably covered in buildings and home to thousands of smugglers and other unscrupulous types.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Rogue Janson
24 October 2003, 02:25 PM
Off the top of my head, Mon Calamari hasn't been discovered, as it's right out on the rim. Kashyyyk and Dosha are also unknown (though I think KotOR disagrees with this). Numerous other more marginal species, such as Barabels are also unknown.

Species that are more common in the galaxy than in later periods include herglics, khil, cathar, krevaaki and celegians. Neti are also around, when they're presumed extinct in later eras.

The Ultimate Alien Anthology is a good source for checking stuff like this.

Dagobah is probably unknown, but it's hard a notable planet in this era, since it's simply a planet that's covered in swamp and jungle.

Nemo Sage
24 October 2003, 02:27 PM
Yavin IV is abandoned by this point. After Exar Kun was defeated, Yavin fades into obsurcuity until the rebellion era.
Naboo hasn't been settled yet. Its a 1000 years before the first colonists land.
Coruscant is pretty much the same as it is in the movies. Only, not as vertical. The Jedi Temple hasn't been constructed yet. The government part of the world is refered to several times as Republic City.
The other worlds really aren't mentioned.
To really get a handle on running this era, you shuld go look into the Tales of the Jedi Comics, they are the Basis in which bio-ware used for Knights of the Old Republic.

Faraer
24 October 2003, 02:32 PM
Coruscant is Coruscant, check its history in Coruscant and the Core Worlds.
You know Exar Kun does stuff on Yavin 4 around this time, see the comics and The Essential Chronology which has a helpful summary of them.
Naboo isn't settled (by colonists from Grizmallt) till 3,900 BBY (Galactic Battlegrounds, The New Essential Guide to Characters p. 12).
No sentient being visits Dagobah until close to the movie timeframe.
Mon Calamari and Nar Shaddaa are both in the basic state they're in later.

Species would take a lot of checking, but bear in mind the Hydian Way doesn't exist yet.

As to key events, there's the Great Droid Revolution and the Kanz Disorders.

Darth Fierce
24 October 2003, 04:10 PM
I'd have to agree that Dagobah hasn't been discovered yet in the timeframe you're looking for. I remember reading one source (I believe it was the Thrawn Trilogy sourcebook) in which an Imperial scout is cataloging what life exists on Dagobah, thus making it seem that knowledge of the planet had only come into being recently before that. Ironically enough, the scout gets scared off by the Dark Side cave on the planet.

As for other planets that are unknown, I'd look to the worlds that make up the middle to the outer edges of the Outer Rim as possible worlds that have not been discovered yet. As far as I know, worlds like Hoth, Endor, and Bespin have not been discovered by 4,000 years before Episode One.

Rogue Janson
25 October 2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Faraer
As to key events, there's the Great Droid Revolution and the Kanz Disorders. [/B]
The droid revolution is some time before the Sith war, since Odan-Urr learnt his droid destroying trick then. It must have been in his lifetime, but that doesn't narrow it down much, since Draethos can live 800 years.

Planets like Endor and Hoth could easily be found and lost again, since there isn't much reason for anyone to go there. But since both are way out on the rim, they're unlikely to have been discovered.

Darth Fierce
25 October 2003, 04:42 AM
Although the TOTJ comic series and sourcebook covers this extensively, you could have PCs somehow get wrapped up in the Beast Wars of Onderon roughly 4,000 years before Episode I. For continuity's sake, you couldn't go much off the beaten track with this storyline, but I'm sure there's things that took place before the arrival of the Jedi task force in TOTJ that you could play around with.

Reverend Strone
25 October 2003, 09:03 PM
I'm not big on my EU Naboo history, so this might be contrary to some material out there that I'm unaware of, but in TPM there was quite a bit of old architecture and statuary in the swamps and plains of that world that suggested an ancient humanoid culture once thrived there. Perhaps thousands of years earlier Naboo was quite different to the way it is by the time of the prequels. Perhaps that's something that could feature in a KOTOR Era supplement?

While Naboo may not have been settled by the current humanoid population we see in the prequels till 1000 years ago, as Nemo states, perhaps the ruins we saw in the movie are attributable to an ancient earlier colonisation attempt? Perhaps these humans weren't too nice to the Gungans, enslaving them or something like that, hence that race's distates and distrust for the present settlement by the peaceful Naboo? Perhaps the Gungans revere the ancient scared places where their forebears ascerted their rights and saw off the intruders? Perhaps that marked the formation of what is currently teh Grand Gungan Army?

I'm speculating, and as I said, it may be material already covered elsewhere, but if not, then it could be ripe material for extrapolation and some imaginative writing for your sourcebook. Best of luck.

JohnnyONeal
27 October 2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the information and ideas, everyone!

Rev. Strone, the idea about the Naboo ruins (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/advert/ruins1.jpg) is particularly fun.