PDA

View Full Version : Palpatines First Name

Innuendo
28 October 2003, 02:34 PM
hi

The last adventure of my current campaign will introduce Palpatine as a 7 year old boy. Does anybody know if his first name has been mentioned yet?

BrianDavion
28 October 2003, 03:48 PM
nope. to my knowledge Palpatine is one of many humans with only 1 name

Tinsel
28 October 2003, 05:12 PM
that little runt Palpy is what he should be called. All the other kids make fun of him and conquering the know glaxay is his way of getting back at them.

Zanus
28 October 2003, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I think most of the people of Naboo only have one name. And I think there have been other characters not from naboo that only have one name

Wade Trenor
28 October 2003, 10:46 PM
I thought his name was mentioned in 'Cloak of Deception', but it's been so long since I last read it that I can't remember. Sorry! :o

Faraer
29 October 2003, 03:40 AM
It's just 'Palpatine' as far as we know (though that's not the norm on Naboo). Cloak of Deception doesn't say otherwise. David West Reynolds called him 'Ethril' in his Episode I Visual Dictionary submission and it was one of the details that GL specifically had changed.

Darth Fierce
29 October 2003, 03:49 AM
I'm pretty sure that he has more of a name than just Palpatine. I remember seeing and hearing from different sources that in drafts of the Original Trilogy he was given a first name. I believe it was "Cos." If anyone can back me up on this, please do so.

Darth Fierce :vader:

Faraer
29 October 2003, 06:50 AM
There's a galactic emperor called Cos Da in the rough draft of Episode IV. That's a very different Star Wars and it's not the same character.

, you're going to have to guess what the s are.

Zanus
29 October 2003, 05:12 PM
(though that's not the norm on Naboo).
uhm, all the characters I have seen form naboo have only had one name. Amidala, panaka, etc. Granted, I am not counting the gungans. If I am wrong, then the rest of their names must not bave heen mentioned in the movies, or it was in a way that didn't register initially.

EDIT: Ok, I just caught myself on Amidalla, as her other name is Padme, or Amidalla was an assumed name to distinguish her noble self.

Reverend Strone
29 October 2003, 05:37 PM
Ric Olie
Sio Biddle
Jobal Naberrie
Pooja Naberrie
Padme Naberrie
Ruwee Naberrie
Ryoo Naberrie
Sola Naberrie

I think perhaps the fact that we haven't heard a second name for characters like Dorme, Panaka, Typho, Sabe, Rabe and others does not necessarily mean they don't have them, but simply that they are refered to by the surnames or first names as appropriate to the situation in which they appeared. Padme's handmaidens might have only been refered to by their first names during the conversations we overheard in the films, whereas Panaka and Typho might be surnames prefixed by their ranks.

BrianDavion
29 October 2003, 07:13 PM
considering the Nambriee name one wonders if maybe thats a TITLE?

Innuendo
30 October 2003, 03:56 AM
Indeed, the classical surname often derives from a function...
Like "Carpenter" or "Miller"...

Nevertheless, after some time, it simply becomes a surname...

Perhaps Naberrie means something like "Diplomat" in the native Naboo language, and Bibble might mean "Guy with a long beard who has not much of a function but whining about the current situation"
;-)

After all, I will use the first name Cos that has been mentioned. Sounds okay to me, and there's a chance that I had used the right one, if someday Lucas might "officially release" a first name for the emperor.

Dr_Worm
30 October 2003, 09:06 AM
I always thought it was Wanda, but then I recall Arnie being tossed around too.

Faraer
30 October 2003, 10:02 AM
Naberrie is an ordinary family name, Amidala is an honorific.

Solo666
30 October 2003, 01:07 PM
Isn't it Padme Amidala?

Reverend Strone
30 October 2003, 08:07 PM
My understanding was that her name of birth was Padme Naberrie but Amidala while Queen of Naboo (as an honorific perhaps, as suggested by Faraer).

After retiring from her role as Queen, she kept the Amidala honorific in her new role as Senator for Naboo.

Trandoshan Jedi
4 November 2003, 09:21 PM
Isn't Palpatine's name Ian:D ? OR maybe it's Galatic Emporer. I mean he is the emporer he probably had his name changed so he;d confuse everyone.... ;)

Zanus
5 November 2003, 04:12 PM
The Emperor formerly known as Ian?

Trandoshan Jedi
6 November 2003, 10:30 AM
Just kidding about the Ian thing. Thats the actor's first name

DarkSoldier
8 November 2003, 11:36 PM
Senator, later Supreme Chancellor, later Emperor...

FRANK PALPATINE!

:D

Ardent
11 December 2003, 12:04 PM
Someone once tried to sell me that his name was Theo (or Thio, not sure on the spelling) Palpatine.

While amusing, I doubt it's true.

wolverine
11 December 2003, 02:43 PM
Naaa. IT's BOB!

raven1337
18 December 2003, 09:44 AM
Or, perhaps it is George!:ds2:

Liquescent-Sabre
18 December 2003, 11:48 PM
Oh great! Now we got Emperor Bob or worse, Darth Bob!

Darth Fierce
19 December 2003, 04:17 AM
Could be worse...he could insist that you call him "Darth Bobby." :D

MikeLynch
4 March 2004, 08:55 AM
"Cos" was indeed what his name was said to be, long ago. I doubt it can be considered canonical.

Regis
5 March 2004, 11:14 AM
I too seem to recall the name Cos Palpatine for some reason.

I like it.

Faraer
5 March 2004, 01:27 PM
Cos Da was the name of the Lord of Alderaan, Consul of the Supreme Tribunal, and Ruler of the Galactic Empire in the Star Wars rough draft. It's a different character, there is no Cos Palpatine. The closest to a canonical first name for Palpatine is Ethril.

Vash Knives
20 March 2004, 06:17 AM
I always thought his name was Susan...

JediMaster56
22 March 2004, 04:50 PM
well the only other name he has is lord sedius as the emperor

JediMaster56
22 March 2004, 04:50 PM
that i know of anyway