PDA

View Full Version : *SPOILERS* The Unifying Force

Wedge in Red2
4 November 2003, 04:27 AM
Hi all,

Just setting this thread up in anticipation of the discussions on The Unifying Force. I saw it out in the bookstore yesterday, so I expect the reason the forum's so quiet at the moment is that people are busy reading it...

Cheers,

Jon

Darth Fierce
4 November 2003, 05:01 AM
It's out all ready?!? I thought it wasn't supposed to come out until the 7th.

Anyway, for me personally, once I get my hands on The Unifying Force , I won't be touching the forums until I've read the final word in the book. Depending on when the book comes out in your area, it's time (or almost time) to find out how the NJO era wraps up. We'll see which theories and rumors in the first spoiler thread pan out, and which fall flat on their faces.

Again, as for me, once I get the book, I'm not touching the forums until I'm done with it (which in consideration of how voraciously I read the other NJO books should only take 24-48 hours after I get it). For just like Spike said in the final episode of "Buffy," "I want to see how it all ends" without anyone telling me how it ends beforehand. :)

Darth Fierce :vader:

Jeskan
4 November 2003, 08:14 AM
I just picked up the book. I read the first 19 pages but I had to do some yard work really quickly. The Dramatis Personae says that Harrar is back. It also says that Wedge and Kyp are there. I just wanted to mention it for those people who think one of them or maybe someone else important will die. Boba isn't mentiones in it though, but it is definatly hi on the back cover. I'll post more later today cause i got an online group game going on this afternoon

Solo666
4 November 2003, 09:17 AM
maybe someone took his armor. I guess now the Specualation thread is kind of redundant
I need $$ b4 I can get it... man... i need it
i'm suffering from withdrawal- i need TUF

Marusame
4 November 2003, 09:43 AM
It's out?

*screams in pure unadulturated joy and runs for the nearest bookstore*

wolverine
4 November 2003, 11:22 AM
I ordered it from amazon, but i feel it will be a while before i get it..... DAMN SHIPPING TIMES!!!!

Jeskan
4 November 2003, 02:17 PM

I just found some time to continue reading and I am about 100 pages into it. All I can say is this book is amazing. I can't wait to discover what Shimraa has up his sleave with the sacrifice and those new Slayers. The thought of stating them has me salivating. Harrar is definatly back, Tahiri, Tekli, and Danni just found him and brought him to the Jedi. I was surprised to find that Nom Anor was not only restored to his old position, but promoted to Prefect. After I finish posting this I'll be back to reading it. I'd like to know if anyone has picked up the book yet besides me(even though most people wouldn't be posting if they had it:P )

Jeskan
4 November 2003, 05:22 PM
I just finished chapter 13 and it seems Boba is in the books. He, if it is him, just saved the life of Han and is taking out Yuuzhan Vong Warriors left and right. I'm not sure, but I think he is taking the scalps of the Vong so he may be in it for a reward.

Kyle Pantrakahs
4 November 2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Jeskan
I just finished chapter 13 and it seems Boba is in the books. He, if it is him, just saved the life of Han and is taking out Yuuzhan Vong Warriors left and right. I'm not sure, but I think he is taking the scalps of the Vong so he may be in it for a reward.

Hoody hoo! This book's gonna RAWK!!!! B)

DEATH TO THE VONG! Bwahahahahaha!

Jeskan
5 November 2003, 03:55 AM
I'm just heading out the door so I have to be breaf. I'm around page 220. The book ha been getting better and better every chapter. Luke and everyone else on Zonama Sekot was told by Sekot that the Vong were striped of the Force. Sekot won't tell anything more about them until they get to known space. Luke had a vision of himself and an older Ben playing with a young wookie and flying a living ship like the ones from Zonama Sekot. But what distresses him is the fact that Mara is not in the vision. And it has been anounced that Shimraa did have a twin. The even italacized it to bring about the sense of awe. It turns out Shimraa was not the only one who was a canidate to becone sucessor to Quoreal. Shimraa killed him and all those loyal to him when Quroeal decided not to invade the galaxy. He was afraid of the reports from the scouts about the living planet. They mentioned Kyle Katarn and it seems like later in the book, Kyle, Kyp, Jaina, Kenth, Treseni, Cilghal and a bunch of other jedi might form a strike team to go to Coruscant. Boba Fett has trained four other people that use Mandalorian armor and when Boba talked to Han, the two almost seemed nastalgic.

Jedi Master Talon
5 November 2003, 07:57 AM
Wow I can't wait to get my copy. I thoought that came out later. So how many pages does it have?

Iain Kysler, Jedi Apprentice
5 November 2003, 08:29 AM
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!

I've gotta wait till Friday to get my copy! Gonna drive me up the WALLS!!!! I GOTTA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!

Okay...deep breath...

breathe...

*Sigh*

I hate waiting.

So Wedge is in it? Nice...Starfighter battles!

I figured the Vong had been stripped of the Force as some kind of punishment when I heard about their link to Sekot...and ever since I read Rogue Planet, I had known there was a link between them...maybe the Vong tried to do something to Sekot that they shouldn't have?

Ah well. Nice speculation anyway...Friday I'll have my own copy, and finish the collection...and that'll be the end of the NJO book series....

:( Boo hoo...no more NJO books...

*Sniffle...sniffle...sniffle...*

Gotta go now before I embarass myself further...

*Muffled sounds of weeping...*

CaamasiJedi49
5 November 2003, 09:58 AM
Spoilers!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Ok now. To explainyour post lian, the vong were stripped of their powers because they turned to warfare as the answer to their probelms, and become despots and the such. Sekot felt taking teh force from them would be a sufficent punishment, and maybe set them straight. But they instead became obsessed with death, and turned the loss of teh force into the folk lore of the Yu-Yuuzhan and the ecreation of teh universe, etc, etc. Completely disguested, Sekot sent a seed out to another galaxy to ge taway from her fallen children. But they followed Sekots trail, leading to the events in rouge planet. The rest happened as it did.
Now, onto my views on teh book, since I was able to finish it in 10 hours( started at 4-ish on Tuesday, and went to 3am in the morning today, only taking about a 1 hour break to do homework and eat dinner). I absolutely loved the book! Almost everything in the book was perfect, from the reappearance of Boba Fett to the climatic Battle of Coruscant(I think this is the fourth or the fifth one now). My only complant was that I felt they left Jaina and jags relationship too unclear. Is it over, is it not? I can't really tell. Im also a little curious, since Zonama Sekot took the Yuuzhan Vong back to where Sekot was during teh Force Heritic Trilogy was, it made me think. As big as a planet may be, their is only so much space that can be used for habitat and the such. Did they pack all the vong onto the planet, or did they let some stay under GA protection? Could lead to an interesting campaign having your heroes protecting teh ones who they not so long ago were trying to kill. I also loved the part Kre'fey did a procession on teh captured Coruscant. Reminded me of both the occupation of Japan and the triumphent return of MacArther(I hope I got that right) to the Philipines. Sorry to rant for so long, but I jus felt obligated to do so. Again, this book ROCKED. Can't wait for the next book!(please excuse my poor grammer and spelling, Im VERY tired, having only gotten about 2 hours of sleep thanks to reading teh book, but I just couldn't put it down)

Caamasi Jedi49:plokoon:

Zanus
5 November 2003, 05:29 PM
If you think about it, the Vong have suffered alot of casualties throughout the war, and most of their worldships died. their population my be just low enough to allow them to fit on Sekot. Not to mention Sekot may not have been that populated in the first place (I apologize, I have only read up to FH1, Spoilers don't bother me, makes me more interested in reading the books.) Btw, which major character died? Wedge or Mara?

Jeskan
5 November 2003, 06:45 PM
im only around 330 right now, but I think I could tell you. It was nerve racking at first. With Luke's vision of the future and not seeing Mara, then Han getting stabbed in the neck. Eventually though, while the push to Coruscant is being discussed, Admiral Ackbar has been declarred dead from Mon Cal. Unless a character more major than him dies, he is the one.

Zanus
5 November 2003, 10:43 PM
oh, well, he won't be missed that much. Thinning the herd really, considering how many other notable admirals that are out there now. Yeah, he was the most notable on the whole, and the most brilliant in many regards, I think it was only kinda a nod to him that they brought him into the NJO at all, and glad they made it clear he has aged. Seemed alot of the pre-NJO books forgot how old he really was.

powalsh
6 November 2003, 12:35 PM
Well I finished the book and as a fan of the NJO series I have to say that I was happy with the conclusion to this epic tale, if one can call it that. The Book was packed full of information and the last 40 odd pages is left to post battle reconstruction which I felt extremlly necessary. The best parts of the book have to be Luke & Han's seperate battles with the slayers, and the appearance of Boba Fett and his merry gang of mandalores. There are however many other notable sequences such as the fight between Onimi and Jacen, the Milenium Falcons countless close calls, the wonderful description of a POW camp, and the Mara jade Non Amor fight. The author wrapped up several plot lines with speed and clarity while keeping the flow of the book moving nicely. A well written and enjoyable read. However, there were a few disapointments. No major deaths other than Ackbars. Not that 365 Trillion is a number to be scoffed at, but I dont believe that I was the only one expecting one more major death scene. The Vong had no ace up their sleeve so to speak. They had nothing inventive against Mon Cal, nor the defence of Courasant. The whole plan was to overwelm by superior numbers which while tacticly sound lacked the bold initiative I had expected from the race that brought down the capitol. The creation of the slayers was a great idea that recieved little use. They should have been used to cause the one bold death scene lacking in this novel.
I currently run an adventure that coincides with the events of the novels, and I must say that I have plenty of material to work with and I am going to be enjoying this book again and again, as will my PC's.

CaamasiJedi49
6 November 2003, 02:57 PM
No major character other then Ackbar dies in the book, though Han and Luke come very close to it, and both times I thought it was their ends. Almost went crazy when Han or Luke were just baout to die. :)

CaamasiJedi49:plokoon:

CaamasiJedi49
6 November 2003, 03:01 PM
LOL, didn't notice your replies Polwash, guess I'm still recovering from sleep deprevation. Also Powalsh, I 100% agree to you about how great book is. You do also bring up a good point about the slayers, they were under-used. But they were mostly just guards for the Supreme Overlord, and any military action they did was ordered by Shimrra, not Nas Choka. But I feel the tactic they did would be very understandable. They are tittering on the brink of exhastion at the moment, and are not reallly capable to do elaborate plans. Also, Shimrra came up with this plan while slipping to insanity, no thanks to Onimi. They just wanted to scatter them, and be able to at least get a second wind, so they were going to be very blunt and use overwhelming force.

CaamsiJedi49:plokoon:

Rogue Janson
6 November 2003, 04:06 PM
Wow, well I got it this morning and just finished it (9/10 hours reading).

All in all the book was great, and generally did an excellent job of bringing a climactic end and conclusion to the New Jedi Order.

So... let's see what I can come up with, if I can put stuff into a coherent form...

The writing was good, with none of the strange turns of phrase or obscure words that seemed to crop up in some of the other books.

Hats off to Nova Spice for guessing Harrar wasn't dead. Rule 1 of the NJO: make absolutely sure someone is dead (like a moon crashing on them). Pash Cracken even pulls the trick not once but twice.

The Coruscant Battle
The whole battle at Coruscant was great; the way the planet was wracked by storms was a perfect backdrop. I think the way the fleet battles went - no brilliant war winning tactics, just a hard, brutal slog - was very deliberate. To show that this is what ending the war by force really means: grinding attrition.

Luke when they're storming Shimmra's fortress is amazing. Jacen's fight with Onimi probably couldn't have been done much better. Only quibble is it would have been nice to have Jaina play a slightly larger part though.

Shimmra and Onimi
This was a bit unexpected, though I guess I should have thought of it. The idea that Onimi was in control was suggested before, but I didn't see the evidence for it. The idea that Onimi was really the one with the powers is something I don't think anyone thought of though. In the end it seems both Shimmra and Onimi were basically deranged? Which is maybe a surprising resolution, though it does have the effect of shifting the blame for events from one evil controlling power (like the emperor) to the culture and society of the Yuuzhan Vong, which is appropriate.

Only minor complaints are that it would have been nice to have some more clues pointing to this beforehand. Also I'd have liked to have a bit more about Shimmra himself; I still can't quite tie in that bit at the end of Destiny's Way (was he being controlled by Onimi from when he was just a potential supreme overlord?).

The Yuuzhan Vong, The Force and Vongsense
The idea that the Yuuzhan Vong were stripped of the Force was one I'd pretty much come to and had an inkling of why. It's like Sever Force on a species wide scale.

Maybe my biggest problem with the book is that I didn't feel this issue was properly clarified. Firstly, the book repeats one of the contradictions in the series by saying the Yuuzhan Vong can be moved/manipulated with the Force. Secondly, I don't think it explained how the YV existed on a 'different spectrum' of the Force properly, nor the relationship between the Force and Yuuzhan Vong telepathy.

Zonama Sekot and the future of the Yuuzhan Vong
Something I did think was excellently dealt with was the surrender of the warriors. Working out how they'd avoid a long, bloody, drawn out end to the conflict was tricky. The way it was handled - the Yuuzhan Vong lose their intercessor and the favour of the gods, therefore the gods no longer favour them, therefore there is little point fighting or dying if you are not serving them - was very clever.

I'd wondered, if Zonama Sekot was the Yuuzhan Vong's homeworld, how it got from their galaxy to the known one without dying. That it was a 'seed' makes a lot of sense. Like CamaasiJed(?) I'm a little concerned about how they're going to fit all the Yuuzhan Vong onto Zonama Sekot, unless their numbers are much much smaller than you'd expect.

Nom Anor
Finally, an end to him. Considering how complex Nom Anor is, and all his schemes, I think he was dealt with very well, finally just deciding he has no place in the galaxy. The way he half helped the heroes escape and finally voluntarily opened the door, rather than being defiant; I think the mood was very appropriate for a character who though devious, amoral and entirely self serving and the villain we all love to hate, is ultimately not immoral and does invoke the reader's sympathy from time to time.

The Death (or lack of)
Maybe this is a result of it being overhyped, but Ackbar's death didn't have the dramatic effect we were expecting for the book. A more important death might have made the book somewhat more powerful, but then again maybe we're just looking for a dramatic death because of the warning hints we were given.

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff as time goes on...

Jeskan
6 November 2003, 07:16 PM
this book was amazing. It had to one of if no the best SW book i have ever read. Janson the only thing that I think ur a little off about is that Shimraa was also derranged. I beleive that Onimi's influence and control on Shimraa is what made Shimraa deranged. There were so many times that I was holding my breath hoping that some characters wouldn't die, like Han, Luke and Mara. The ending was great. I was near tears. I was a little disappointed with how the relationships between Jag/Jaina and Jacen/Danni. I already planned an ending to my NJO campaign that willl fit the characters into the events of the book. I'm very eager now for that post-NJO trilogy.

Rogue Janson
7 November 2003, 03:36 AM
Janson the only thing that I think ur a little off about is that Shimraa was also derranged.
sorry, yeah, I thought that too, just probably didn't make it clear.

Let's see, more stuff...

originally posted by Jeskan
I was a little disappointed with how the relationships between Jag/Jaina and Jacen/Danni.
Jacen/Danni I think I agree with; I can see why Jacen would take to a more solitary life, but the relationship between the two wasn't mentioned at all in the book, let alone rounded off. Jag/Jaina I quite liked, it gives them some distance, but still the ability to develop their relationship.

There were so many times that I was holding my breath hoping that some characters wouldn't die, like Han, Luke and Mara.
I think maybe I was less worried about some of the characters dying because, having speculated about it a fair bit, I was pretty convinced it wouldn't happen. Especially once Luke reiterated his vision of the future, with himself, Mara and Ben in.
Actually, I did have what I thought was an amazing idea for a 'death' part way into the book - what if they'd destroyed the Millenium Falcon? That'd provide serious emotional impact without actually killing a person. But I suppose there are reasons for the Falcon to survive. (Han still needs something to scoot about the galaxy in.)

originally posted by CamaasiJedi49
I also loved the part Kre'fey did a procession on teh captured Coruscant. Reminded me of both the occupation of Japan and the triumphent return of MacArther(I hope I got that right) to the Philipines.
It reminded me of the surrender of Japan, too. Though I'm not sure how strong the similarities really were

I just realised that the deaths of Nom Anor and Viqi Shesh are similar. Both survived repeated attempts to kill them, but in the end were offered a chance at life and chose death.

Frobi-Wan Kenobi
8 November 2003, 10:35 AM
Well, I just finished TUF and I think that it was an excellent way to end the NJO.

However, in reading this thread I didn't find any mention of Boba's little friends (but I could have missed a remark). Who are they? Clones?? Or just random guys?

I really thought that Jacen was going to bite it when the Force was pouring out of him.

Also what did Luke use against that slayer? The Green Force Lightning that Jacen had used in an earlier book?

Rogue Janson
8 November 2003, 11:42 AM
Also what did Luke use against that slayer? The Green Force Lightning that Jacen had used in an earlier book?
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I'd presume it is the same, rather suspect, application of Force Lightning that Jacen uses.

Nova Spice
8 November 2003, 11:23 PM
Okay, well, I see that excitement has run rampant in this thread. I deliberately avoided this until I finished the novel this morning.

The New Jedi Order has ended. And what an ending it was! 8o

After five years of brutal conflict, mass devastation, and near annihilation, the Galactic Alliance overcomes the Yuuzhan Vong threat. The Unifying Force was, without doubt, the most remarkable novel in the entire library of Star Wars books.

And while the only major death was Ackbar's natural one, I felt that the book did not disappoint. Naturally, many people have noted Boba Fett's return on Caluula as one of the high-lights of the novel. I don't disagree. His return was an eerie glimpse into the past. I suspect everyone noticed that he was using twin blaster pistols, much like Jango had done so many years ago.

My Personal Highlights:
-The gathering of literally the entire galaxy against the Yuuzhan Vong. One of my favorite scenes was Han and Leia's return to Mon Calamari, finding every major force in the galaxy joining the Galactic Alliance. From the Hutts to the Bakurans to the Sullustans to the Eriaduans to the Chiss, the galaxy finally united for its final stand against the Vong.

-The clarification of Jacen's vision in Balance Point. Perhaps the coolest moment in the entirety of the New Jedi Order was when Jacen realized that the voice he had heard in his vision was not that of Luke's or Vergere's, but of his grandfather, Anakin Skywalker. This culminated in what IMO, was the greatest fight in the series: Jacen vs. Supreme Overlord Onimi.

-The final passage of The Unifying Force. Han's commemoration to Chewbacca was, without a doubt, the most bittersweet moment in the Star Wars EU. This was accentuated by the retrieval of Anakin Solo's lightsaber.

Personal Thoughts:
-James Luceno did an incredible job ending this epic series. I was impressed by all the loose ends he tied up. Minor plot points such as Baljos Arnjak's stay on Coruscant and Malik Carr's disappearance were given due explanation. Almost every Jedi was accounted for in this novel, including one of the Jedi in use in my campaign-Kirana Ti.
-The secrets of Shimrra and Onimi were very well choreographed and unveiled. I was shocked to learn of how Onimi had fallen and how he had orchestrated the invasion.
-The epic battle of Coruscant was done excrutiatingly well. You know you've succeeded in writing a great battle when the reader feels the stress, yet craves more of the conflict.
-Nom Anor's death scene was by and large, appropriate. He was a selfish survivalist, right down to the very end. His fate was fitting.

As many of you know, I am one of the most vocal supporters of the NJO. Now that this series has come to its conclusion, I am now, more than ever, convinced that the NJO is Star Wars at its best. It is the pinnacle of the story in a galaxy far, far away...

Dan Kyrinov
8 November 2003, 11:31 PM
The Unifying Force is the superlative Star Wars book, beating them all out for top spot. I was so enthusiastic about the book that when I picked it up an hour before I was going to see Matrix: Revolutions, I continued reading the book in the theatre during the movie by the flashes of light from the screen.

The book tied together the entire NJO, and managed to bring in every hanging plot thread that we were left with, from the entire Expanded Universe after the movies (or before, consider Rogue Planet.) Killik Twilight. Alpha Red. Baljos Arnjak. Even the Star Wars Gamer/Star Wars Insider stories from Greg Keyes are reflected twice, and rejoice, Kyle Katarn not only makes an appearance, he gets a line!

The suspense was simply incredible. James Luceno tricked me into believing Zonama Sekot, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and many other numerous characters were dead. I foolishly believed that we'd lose a main character just because we lost them in two previous hardbacks. So whenever one of them pulled through what looked like the huge death scene fated for them, I about wet myself and waited for the next one. Surely this time there's going to be a death. And since the last jepoardized character is Luke, your heart sinks as soon as you do a mental estimation and realize it's near the end of the book, you think someone has to die, and it looks like Luke is about to buy the moisture farm. This book reigns supreme because it kills the characters we love but then doesn't kill them. Luke and Han made it! But good Lord, I sure didn't think so for a minute there.

Only negative about the book was Jaina and Jag. James Luceno stepped down the level of romantic intensity among all the characters through the entire book. Much the same way as I do not like to be led on in increasing desire and then left in the cold, when reading a compelling book I don't like it to happen to the characters. In my mind, Troy Denning will have great opportunity to tell more about Jag and Jaina in the books that take place after the NJO, and he better capitalize on the opportunity.

Unifying Force is the twenty in the one-out-of-ten scale that are Star Wars books.

Jeskan
9 November 2003, 06:19 AM
What I also enjoyed was reading about Luke's skill with a Lightsaber. I had not seen such good @$$ kicking with a Lightsaber since Mace and Yoda. His skill was amazing. I never pictured him being that good with a Lightsaber.

Zanus
9 November 2003, 12:33 PM
I have a feeling that something had to be sacrificed for the sake of space in the book, and I bet if Luceno where to expand on the romance as much as he would have liked, it would have been either taken as nedless side story or been distracting from the action or taken up more space in the book then he could afford.

As far as luke being so good with a lightsaber. I WOULD CERTAINLY HOPE SO! crimany, look at all the EU novels where he had plenty of time to practice, either durring a novel against the supervillain/super weapon of the month or in the time inbetween at the academy where all he did was train. That and he has been a jedi longer then anyone else there (IIRC all the old generation jedi died, even that one on Yavin, but I could be wrong about that one, been awhile since I read that book).

Sounds like this book is only in hardcover. Good thing I still have three other books before this one to read, and the Cleric Quintet will take up a goodly deal of time too. I look forward to reading it, but I am not going to rush out the door quite yet.

fury
9 November 2003, 03:17 PM
Going back to something Rogue Janson had said, I was absolutely sure the Falcon was not going to make it out of the story intact. Indeed, I was almost looking forward to it.

The romance issues were likely due to having the other prior books in the series being written at about the same time. The authors preceding probably were able to send along prime plot points, but face it, the galaxy doesn't turn around Jag and Jaina. Besides, having read and enjoyed all his Robotech books (Daley likely didn't handle ALL the relationship stuff), I know Luceno can write up relationships. Heck, in this book you finally get back to seeing Han and Leia act like a couple who know each other for decades, even coming to finishing each other's sentences. Same idea when you got to Luke and Mara. I chalk it up to just not knowing in detail where the Jag/Jaina, Jacen/Danni relationships would be handled prior to this writing.

The only thing I really wanted to see completed plotwise was a reappearance of Droma talking to Han. Other than mentioning that he was on the run early in the book, that's all we get.

And just for argument's sake, can we officially probe the concept that C-3PO is the conscience of the entire series?

Solo666
9 November 2003, 07:43 PM
Wouldn't u say Nom Anor could b considered a "major death" cuz i could have swor he was a major character

Nova Spice
9 November 2003, 07:53 PM
Wouldn't u say Nom Anor could b considered a "major death" cuz i could have swor he was a major character

Not really. Not in the context that is being discussed. The "major death" refers to someone sided with the Galactic Alliance, not the Yuuzhan Vong.

While Nom Anor was by far the main antagonist of the NJO and was a major character, he was also a bad guy. Most everyone, myself included, meant that there was not a death of a major protagonist.

But technically, yes, you could consider the deaths of Tsavong Lah, Nen Yim, Shimrra, and Nom Anor as "major deaths."

Moridin
9 November 2003, 10:33 PM
Well, I finished it.

Frankly, I'm glad it's over. My enthusiasm began to wane about a year ago, but I must say that Luceno did a remarkable job restoring it. He was the only person that could have written this book, BECAUSE of his attention to detail.

Boba & pals was random, but cool (and gives me ideas for my campaign).

A great ending to a series that has otherwise been questionable, if not in writing quality then in content.

Rogue Janson
10 November 2003, 04:43 AM
Frankly, I'm glad it's over. My enthusiasm began to wane about a year ago, but I must say that Luceno did a remarkable job restoring it. He was the only person that could have written this book, BECAUSE of his attention to detail.
You know, that's funny. I was unenthusiastic about the early books of the series, which just seemed a slog of horrible things happening, people being killed etc.. Once thing began to turn around (maybe as early as SxS) I really started to get into the series.

originally posted by fury
And just for argument's sake, can we officially probe the concept that C-3PO is the conscience of the entire series?
I don't know whether I'd call him the conscience of the series, but he is definitely like a detached observer (a role he's always held, to varying degrees). I suspect there's a proper definition of this type of character from literary studies, or some similar field; if we're lucky someone with more knowledge will come along and explain.

Jedi Master Talon
10 November 2003, 07:56 AM
I just got my copy and I think the book so far is amazing. I've almost got it finished and I just got it Friday. I can't wait till the series after the NJO comes out.

KenobiJim
10 November 2003, 11:38 PM
I got it on Friday and I Can't read it fast enough! All I'm doing is going AIIIGGHHHHHHH! AIGGHHHHH!! and so on... I love it! Luceno is doing a fine job with this book.

I was very depressed with the early novels - all the deaths the epic levels of destruction - really, how many moons have you seen impact a planet? The Death Star is like a toy compared to some of the Vong stuff. It got really good (the series that is) when I got the first one that Aaron Allston did (Rebel Dream???). I actually Laughed in some parts of that book. Traitor really made me look at how the Force was really about, with Vergere really standing me on my head about it. Star by Star was just Epic, and Anakin's death being touching but not insignificant. I was really hoping that he would explain his revelation to Jacen before he got killed. Darn. Elegos Ak'la's death was tragic along with Ithor's destruction, even though Corran won the duel with Tsavong Lah. SO many things happened. I skipped a few but these stand out in my memory. Oh and Ben Skywalker being born.... I feel the next head of the Jedi Order about to come down the block.

Nova Spice
11 November 2003, 10:56 AM
It got really good (the series that is) when I got the first one that Aaron Allston did (Rebel Dream???). I actually Laughed in some parts of that book. Traitor really made me look at how the Force was really about, with Vergere really standing me on my head about it. Star by Star was just Epic, and Anakin's death being touching but not insignificant.

Star by Star precedes Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream. So, perhaps the series starting getting good for you at that point. :D

Elegos Ak'la's death was tragic along with Ithor's destruction, even though Corran won the duel with Tsavong Lah

Wrong Vong. Corran dueled Shedao Shai, not Tsavong Lah. And yes, Elegos' death was definitely tragic.

Its funny that some people loved the early books, while others have liked the latter. For myself, I think many of you realize I like them all. Whether its Vector Prime or The Unifying Force, the NJO carries the cake when it comes to Star Wars novels. ;)

Darth Fierce
12 November 2003, 05:04 AM
Okay...it took me much longer than I thought, but I finally have finished the book (without sneaking peeks at the spoilers, thank goodness).

As far as I'm concerned, if I was to rate this book on a scale from one to ten, I would definitely give it a nine. The battles were spectacular, and you could almost cut the tension with a knife when the possibility of either Han or Luke dying was present. My particular favorite parts of the book, though, were in the scenes of the aftermath of the war, including the GFFA's forces accumulating on Coruscant, the conversations between the Jedi and the Smuggler Alliance, Leia and Han's meeting with Pellaeon on the Right to Rule, and the ceremory for the memories of Chewbacca and Anakin at the end of the book.

If I had any gripes about the book, it's in the following:

--Ackbar's death seemed really tacked on in the story. I mean, it seemed like it was just thrown in, without any real major consequences (despite the fact that it gave Wedge the impetus to keep fighting). At first, I thought Boba Fett's presence in the book was going to be as bad, but I'm glad that he was mentioned once again at the end.

--So what was Shimrra anyway??? Was he Onimi's puppet, basically? It seemed a little too "Wizard of Oz"-ish to make Onimi the true Supreme Overlord.

Oh well, just my two cents.

genehow67
12 November 2003, 09:38 AM
A great finish to the story. Well written, tied up a lot of loose ends, (And created a few) and lots of appearances of old favorites.

I thought the interaction between Han and Leia was especially well done.
All the near deaths! I was thinking that Wedge would buy it when he went out in a fighter.

I'm thinking that they left Jaina and Jacen's relationships at loose ends so that they'd be 'available' in future novels for romantic relationships. The same reaason they left Luke and Mara at loose ends at the conclusion of the Zahn trilogy.

Though, I don't believe for minute that Nom Anor is dead. Sorry. Just not buying that one. If he'd been decapitated by a jedi, or had a hole blown clean through him by Han, or even seen him sucked into vacuum - sure. But not staying behind on a ship that exploded moments later. He got off, and is looking for some of the Vong hold outs to hook up with and rule. He'll turn up later.
I've never been happy with him as a villian in the book, but I'll give him credit; He's a survivor.

I do hope that they leave the 'oldtimers' in retirement. They've earned it. Let the future novels be about the youngins; Jaina, Jace, Jag, Lowbacca, etc.

Darth Fierce
12 November 2003, 04:05 PM
Part of me wonders if Nom Anor is truly "dead" too, although if he isn't, he'll probably just slink away into the darkness never to be seen again (except possibly as a cameo in some novel). As he explains before freeing our heroes from the doomed coffer, he simply had no place in the universe anymore (with the Vong or the GFFA), and even earlier, he thinks to himself that he wishes he could just disappear.

I forgot about the scene of the galaxy's forces at Mon Calamari, Nova Spice . I also thought that was quite cool.

As for the question of whether C-3P0 is the conscience of the SW mythos, I say "Why not?" In the recent novels, he's reminded me a lot of a one-man greek chorus, which seem to give us a lot of insight on the human psyche.

Anyway, just another two cents. Wow! Eventually I'm going to be able to buy a pop with all the "two cents" I throw in. :)

Nova Spice
12 November 2003, 06:24 PM
I forgot about the scene of the galaxy's forces at Mon Calamari, Nova Spice . I also thought that was quite cool.

Yea, the reason I found that scene so cool was because it literally comprised every major force in the galaxy (minus the Corporate Sector) in an effort to beat back the Vong threat. To my knowledge, an alliance like that is unprecedented in Star Wars. Truly an epic moment. ;)

Iain Kysler, Jedi Apprentice
12 November 2003, 07:07 PM
I can't believe it's actually over...

8o :(

19 books...five years...sniffle...sniffle...

Now I've got the whole collection...think I'm going to cry...LOVED the ending! Couldn't believe it...the entire group just kind of going their seperate ways and fading into the sunset...I thought Jacen's going to examine the other Force religions was very cool.

*Sounds of muted weeping*

WHY?!!!!!

Okay...I've got it under control...

Favorite part in this book HAS to be the lightsaber fight between Luke and Shimmra, and when the Jedi meeting was called and everybody there was introduced to the Unifying Force. I loved it.

Remus Lightforce
14 November 2003, 07:28 AM
Am I the only one who was disappointed by this book?

Yes, it was a good book, in my opinion. However, it was the finisher for the series, it should have been a great book, and it wasn't.

Some things that irritate me:

Supreme Overlord Omini. I had thought of this from like, 7 books ago, but I dismissed it because I thought it was too predictable. Whoops, looks like predictable is okay, now. Blah blah I grafted yammosk cells to myself and regained the Force. Meh.

The Unifying Force. Some unification! At the end, we were still never told really how the YV are on a different wavelength of the Force, or how it was taken away from them, or an actually GOOD reason why (the humans have been making war for millenia, but they never had the Force stripped from them). IMO, they really failed miserably to turn the Vong's absense in the Force into anything really worth reading.

But, these major gripes aside, Kyle Katarn actually gets to say ONE LINE in this book! Woo-hoo!

Kanner Ra'an
19 November 2003, 01:26 PM
I have mixed feelings about the book. I do like how they resolved the issues with each of the characters. I dont like what they did with the Yuuzhan Vong whatsoever. It two seconds just throwing all their weapons into the sun then heading off on Zonma Sekot. You cant just undo a lifstyle that has existed for millions of years and has been bred so strongly into someone. I know it said some groups are resisting, but a majority went along with it. WTF? Along with that i dont understand the logic of the best jedi pilots taking strange Sekotian ships over regular fighters that arn't just puppets of sekot. Their was some mention of the new class ships, which every bloody writer in the series (excusing vector prime) has completely forgotten about in exchange for vessals like the corillian gunships and Nebulon B's which would have been mothballed. Even if they had been brought out for the war, they would not be the front line ships. Boba Fett seemed to serve no purpose at all other then to appease casual fans.

Ok, that being said, the rest of the book was great. Im glad to see my guess about Omini was on the money. I truely liked how they concluded Jacen Solo's dilemma, which was the biggest subplot of the series. I'm wondering whats going to happen with the other jedi, though i'm sure their still going to be the munckin police force of the galaxy in the next novels, im wondering how their outlook and habits will change as a result of Jacen Solos revalations. I though the battles were more of a backround as opposed to a major part of a story, and that dissapointed me, however they did their job very well and added great tension to the novel. Overall the writing and storyline were amazing, and aside from my dissatisfaction with the Vongs end, i dont think they could have made a better conclusion to the series.

Darth Fierce
19 November 2003, 02:25 PM
I thought it strange too that all the warships of the Vong were destroyed at the end of The Unifying Force, but if you look at the real world, you can see some close similarities. For example, if I remember right, at the conclusion of WWII Japan was demilitarized and remained that way for quite a while.

Oh well, what are you going to do? I still give the novel a 9 out of 10.

Nova Spice
19 November 2003, 07:24 PM
The Unifying Force. Some unification! At the end, we were still never told really how the YV are on a different wavelength of the Force, or how it was taken away from them, or an actually GOOD reason why (the humans have been making war for millenia, but they never had the Force stripped from them). IMO, they really failed miserably to turn the Vong's absense in the Force into anything really worth reading.

I think you're missing a big piece of the puzzle, here. The Vong weren't stripped of the Force because they began to wage war. The Vong were stripped of the Force because they broke away from their symbiosis with Yuuzhan'tar and chose death over life. This was explained pretty thoroughly I thought.

Even the Sith never chose death over life. It's not because of war that they were stripped. ;)

You cant just undo a lifstyle that has existed for millions of years and has been bred so strongly into someone. I know it said some groups are resisting, but a majority went along with it.

Was fairly believable to me. Shimrra was the Vong's conduit to the "gods." If he's removed, then their religion states they are no better than the infidels. What's the point of fighting? The death of the "Supreme Overlord" was, in a large sense, greater than the death of Palpatine. The Vong's entire society rested on the "will of the gods" as per the "Supreme Overlord." Is it any surprise that the Vong threw down their weapons when he was killed; essentially killing their own current culture?

I loved the novel. Thought it was the best Star Wars novel to date. I think it was a pinnacle to the entire saga, marking a climax of the way the galaxy has worked for millennia. This book truly set the course for a new path to be laid in a galaxy far, far away...

Zanus
19 November 2003, 08:13 PM
I feel I should note that through most of the books I have read (up to Force Heritec 1) they rarely actually mention the smaller ships classes, except for notable ships. Most frigates and gunships are called just that, they don't actually say the type, basically leaving it up to the reader to decide what it looks like.

Kanner Ra'an
20 November 2003, 04:58 AM
Was fairly believable to me. Shimrra was the Vong's conduit to the "gods." If he's removed, then their religion states they are no better than the infidels. What's the point of fighting? The death of the "Supreme Overlord" was, in a large sense, greater than the death of Palpatine. The Vong's entire society rested on the "will of the gods" as per the "Supreme Overlord." Is it any surprise that the Vong threw down their weapons when he was killed; essentially killing their own current culture?

Thats the thing, their current culture. Yuuzhan Vong seem to do nothing at all but fight. I though Shimmra's death would do nothing but send them into a mad killing frenzy, far more vonglike then surrender. Even if they lost their conduit to the gods, it seems so out of character for them. I highly doubt that so many would just accept Zonma Sekot as a god either. My gripe is that with one way so bred into them, it seems odd that they'd go with another.

Solo666
20 November 2003, 06:46 AM
i just finished. Who would have thought Onimi was a force-user?

Nova Spice
20 November 2003, 03:35 PM
Thats the thing, their current culture. Yuuzhan Vong seem to do nothing at all but fight. I though Shimmra's death would do nothing but send them into a mad killing frenzy, far more vonglike then surrender. Even if they lost their conduit to the gods, it seems so out of character for them. I highly doubt that so many would just accept Zonma Sekot as a god either. My gripe is that with one way so bred into them, it seems odd that they'd go with another.

Heh, I think you may be misinterpreting what I'm saying. My fault; let me clarify.

I thought that Shimrra's death and the Vong's reaction was very believable because of their culture. Think about it. The death, destruction, and bloodshed had been done all in the name of the gods, with Shimrra as the conduit for the gods to the Yuuzhan Vong. When Shimrra died, the Yuuzhan Vong realized that the gods no longer held them in any regard. They became the exact same, according to their religion, as the infidels. That meant that the war effort no longer held any meaning. Why fight? The galaxy, supposedly theirs for the taking, was no longer blessed by the gods. That's why many, many warriors killed themselves after Shimrra's death. Their war became meaningless. They became the Shamed Ones according to their culture. ;)

i just finished. Who would have thought Onimi was a force-user?

I did, actually. As far back as Destiny's Way. In fact, Rogue Janson and I both had similar theories as far as Onimi went. I thought this was fairly obvious.

Kanner Ra'an
20 November 2003, 05:58 PM
Heh, I think you may be misinterpreting what I'm saying. My fault; let me clarify.

Nope. I may not be the self appointed all knowing master of the NJO, but i can understand you. I just dont agree. I think its kinda cheap. Yes all the violence and killing and sacrifices were done in the name of the gods, but its also something thats bred very deeply into the vong. When you do something nice to someone else, most people dont think when they do it that its for whatever thing they worship, they do it because its good. I think that violence is the same way for the yuuzhan vong. If someone suddenly proved that alla, god, buddha, or any other stuff that people worship didn't exist, do you think their followers would automatically just stop doing various things (say, not killing everyone you meet) because of it. No, most wouldn't. Thats why i dont think the Vong would either. Not only that, i dont beleive Shimraa's death could have that effect. He killed the last supreme overlord, so why didn't that act as the same catalist. I admit, their was an obvious replacement (shimraa himself) on hand, and their was no Zonma Sekot, but if Qoreal could be so easily forgotten, why not Shimraa.

I will freely admit i can see some Yuuzhan Vong coming about. Zonma Sekot told them their origions, Shimraa was dead, as was his successors. But from a race that has slaughtered millions, mutalated their own bodies, manipulated life, slaughtered so many entire races, left worlds once thriving with life barren. Your telling me that they are just going to throw all their weapons into the sun, give up half the galaxy they fought tooth and nail for, and go live hapily ever after on Zonma Sekot. These same people who will kill if you abrieviate their name. I find it harder to beleive then the yuuzhan vong just going on a rampage or throwing themselves on their enemies vibroblade, something very vong-like or such.

In the end its just my opinion. Im not trying to convince anyone else, this is just illistrating how i see it.

Zanus
20 November 2003, 06:01 PM
I think this is going to be one of those things that will be debated for some time and will be another one of those sore spots with alot of people, like my pet peave with X-wings still being used, even though the E-wing was supposed to be a more advanced and superior fighter, and that K-wings have been completely forgotten.

Probably better to just agree to disagree. You have both made your points. Although I agree with Nova I can see Kanners point as well.

BrianDavion
20 November 2003, 07:49 PM
I think the big differance is the vong had been having... second thoughts, for YEARS before hand. shimerra's death and the selkot revaltion basicly was eneugh to SHATTER their faith

Nova Spice
20 November 2003, 08:00 PM
Nope. I may not be the self appointed all knowing master of the NJO, but i can understand you. I just dont agree

Self-appointed all knowing master of the NJO? :raised:

I don't recall appointing myself to that title. There are others that know just as much as I do about the NJO. I'm just, perhaps, its biggest promoter and enthusiast on these boards. ;)

Wedge in Red2
21 November 2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Nova Spice

I don't recall appointing myself to that title. There are others that know just as much as I do about the NJO. I'm just, perhaps, its biggest promoter and enthusiast on these boards. ;)

Let me just head this off now. I don't know if Kanner Ra'an was intending it as a slight upon you, or merely saying that he didn't know much. Either way, lets agree to disagree and move on. I don't want this to degenerate into a name calling session.

Cheers,

Jon

Rogue Janson
21 November 2003, 05:31 AM
Hmm. I thought the way the Yuuzhan Vong were finally dealt with was logically very neat, as Nova is saying. Listening to Kanner though, I'm not sure how plausible it is from a more cultural/emotional view.

In its favour we have:

Shimmra's death - being without a Supreme Overlord for the first time ever.
Zonama Sekot - the Yuuzhan Vong weren't even meant to go to a galaxy containing a living planet.
Shimmra's increasingly deranged behaviour.
General problems with YV society, the shaping of Yuuzhan'tar, lack of progress with the war, etc.
Very strong hierarchy (particularly in warrior caste) - once Nas Choka decided that the favour of the Gods was lost, the warriors were strongly indoctrinated to follow his leadership. In addition, the higher Yuuzhan Vong are simply left without any leadership. On a practical level, they rely on the Supreme Overlord to stop the caste leaders from constantly conflicting with one another.

originally posted by Nova Spice
I did, actually. As far back as Destiny's Way. In fact, Rogue Janson and I both had similar theories as far as Onimi went. I thought this was fairly obvious.
I have to come clean and correct Nova here; I knew something very odd was going on, but not what. I thought Shimmra had the Force. I didn't totally discount the idea Onimi was the one in charge, but I didn't see any realy evidence for it.

Master Bob
24 November 2003, 05:34 PM
Why isnt Pellaeon on the Chimeara. While it probably isnt important, in Remnant they said it would be repaired.

Kanner Ra'an
24 November 2003, 05:59 PM
The Chimera took massive damage. They'll probably have to rebuild the entire ship. Coupled with a wartime situation, its not surpriesing that she's not in action.

Zanus
24 November 2003, 06:01 PM
In Remnant they also mentioned it had taken extensive damage. Since the Imperial shipyards are more worried about getting ships into combat, they will concentrate their efforts and resources on those ships that are not as badly damaged, as well as finishing new designs and upgrading existing ships as best they can with new tech or for specific tactics. They will have at least some people, and some of the crew of the ship, working on the ship at all times, but they will have alot to do. Sometimes repairing a ship can actually be more expensive and take longer then just building a new one. They are only taking the time with the Chimera because of what it means to the Grand Admiral and, by extension, the Imperial Navy.

Edit: lol, Kanner, you beat me by a couple minutes to saying the same thing ;)

Darthspectre84
26 November 2003, 09:32 AM
Just almost finished with Unifying Force and i must say Wow!!! Though i am abit dissappointed with how the Great Yuuzhan Vong have been uhm beaten. And i thought Onimi would be more of the intellectual while Shimraa was mad. Cause personally i think Onimi was defeated abit too..quick.

But i think it was done pretty good. Had the book not had much Vong side of war then i think fans would argue that the vong surrendered to easily. Plus Shimraa and Jeedai battle was just great. As well as Onimi. They had the comparison with Palpatine hehe.

Also i abit sad about old Nom Anor....truely this galaxy had done big changes to him. Poor guy...realeased his leader was mad and tried to bring his society down but seeing that he realeased that his people have lost their pride.

Though i find Lke taking on Mara situation before the Invasion.

Talon Razor 'GM'
30 November 2003, 06:59 PM
Ok, I finally finished it. It was very, very good. Just what I expected from NJO. And thank God it is over.

I loved pretty much what everybody has been saying. The fights, the scenes, no need to repeat the un-important stuff. It held all the right elements.

So let me post my problems with the book:

First off, I think the Vong ending was completely realistic. You must realize that an entire culture was [I]destroyed[I] in mere moments with the death of the overlord. Everything they knew was unravelled. Their species collasped. I would say that would leave most of them reeling.

I didn't like the direction the Force took. Now, instead of being mysterious and strange, it's this thing that has a will and isn't good nor evil. What the hell? Good is good and evil is evil. There is no middle-ground here. They were talking about how evil is just as neccesary as good. Blah
And did it seem to you that the Jedi all of sudden became monks? No more protectors or guardians, they must now debate about the Force and go their seperate ways. I don't really like that. It seems there won't be a Jedi Order but more of a club. We will have to see as EU evolves.

Some good points about the books:

Woohoo! Talk about EU being combined! All kinds of ships throughout the EU were mentioned, even from some games. Even some Clone War ships. James did a great job on the vessels and I loved it.

Boba Fett was great. I loved the whole scene with him and Han. I can't wait to see more of him later on.

And I don't buy Nom Anor's death. Nope, sorry, just ain't gonna believe it.

All in all, a great book worthy of the Star Wars Archives. B)

Ardent
11 December 2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Nova Spice

I think you've been appointed, Nova, but I agree, it wasn't a self-appointment.

All in all, I found TUF to be a rather bland ending to what could have been a much more coherently-woven storyline. Everything (and I mean everything) I expected to happen did. There were no real surprises (for me), and a lot of the subplots were allowed to just sit there, ends all afray and totally unresolved.

But whatever, I'm sure it's not Mr. Luceno's fault. There were so many authors working that a lot of the subplots and ideas just weren't being carried from one novel to the next. I think LFL needs to be more careful about coordinating its authors in the future.

fury
11 December 2003, 09:58 AM
Unfortunately the only true alternative to making sure plot lines are tied up are either really, really scripted rules before an author begins a book (which no author would like) or a longer timespan so every author is absolutely sure of what the preceding book had covered (which, obviously, would be unbearable for us readers).

I think the entire series was the best of a very rushed situation. We got the best we could out of the series' writers and got our books without too much delay. Anything else would just lead to a different kind of problem.

Darthspectre84
11 December 2003, 03:16 PM
Well we might not have seen the end of the NJO jusst yet....i mean NJO not Vong..cause who knows if we are lucky they might make comics or graphic novels based in this area. I can picture it now...the Invasion Chronicles talking about everything that happened while Luke and Co. were trying to save the galaxy. heh.
I really hope that happens though...would give great art of Yuuzhan Vong ships and stuff.

Jim Williams
21 January 2004, 04:40 PM
Onward and upward i say.

Favorite scenes:

Jacen and Onimi. I think even Yoda would been like, "Dude...purty impressive!"

Luke's unstoppable advance. I still don't see this as a mark of superior swordsmanship, but his embodiment of the Living Force. He was totally in the present and focused. Unstoppable. I dare say he would have mowed down anyone in his path.

Luke's battle with Shimrra. The Force versus crude matter. No contest.

The two teaser death scenes. I truly, absolutely thought Han died, and the same for Luke at the end.

"If it came to your sister or your Uncle, who would you save? Who do you serve?" "I serve the Force." Awesome.

Boba casually massacring Vong like someone declared a Mandalorian Vong Annihlation holiday. Sheesh. Like, dude, where were you fifteen books ago?!!?

The end with Han and Anakin's lightsaber.

Disappointment:
Ackbar? ACKBAR?!!? I hate to say it, but I think that mysterious blanket of protection Han said he felt was always around "the group" was suddenly very much back in place. I guess only an editor in chief really can kill a Jedi Master, smuggler, or hotshot fighter pilot with two Death Stars under his belt. Couldn't we have at least seen Kyp fed into maw of NJO destruction? Or Corran?

Nova Spice
21 January 2004, 05:00 PM
Ackbar? ACKBAR?!!? I hate to say it, but I think that mysterious blanket of protection Han said he felt was always around "the group" was suddenly very much back in place. I guess only an editor in chief really can kill a Jedi Master, smuggler, or hotshot fighter pilot with two Death Stars under his belt. Couldn't we have at least seen Kyp fed into maw of NJO destruction? Or Corran?

While in hindsight I actually agree with the decision not to kill any of the remaining main characters, I suppose the death of a major supporting character could have been pretty effective.

Someone on the lines of:
-Booster Terrik
-Lando Calrissian
-Gavin Darklighter

But, I think killing off Corran or Kyp would have been somewhat lackluster, particularly since the New Jedi Order needs younger masters to take over after Luke, Kam, and Tionne retire.

Lakota
13 March 2004, 06:59 AM
As someone who gave up on this series a while ago, I simply did not like the premise or plotlines enough to read the books any farther then I had...

...what was the "Unifying Force"? Other then the death knell of the Jedi order it seems, by comments made above.

Just curious.

Nova Spice
13 March 2004, 07:54 AM
what was the "Unifying Force"? Other then the death knell of the Jedi order it seems, by comments made above.

I'm not sure where you came to this conclusion, Lakota. I don't see any comments that would you lead you to believe that the final NJO novel was the death knell of the Jedi Order. If anything, this novel served the exact opposite purpose.

The Unifying Force, in all its glory, was the conclusion to the series. Basically, through the teachings of Vergere (a Jedi from the Old Republic who had been captured by the Vong before the Clone Wars), Jacen Solo was schooled in the ways of the Unifying Force. Jacen came to the realization that the Force has no "dark side or light side." The Force simply is. The "dark side" is simply the Force reflecting what it finds inside you and unleashing it outward.

Using this concept, Jacen gained a unique perspective concerning the totality of the Force itself, and by novel's end, during one of the coolest scenes in all Star Wars EU, Jacen transcended time and in essence, became the Force.

During Jacen's quest for understanding the Unifying Force, as well as the search for the living planet Zonama Sekot, it was eventually learned that the Force stripped itself from the Yuuzhan Vong long ago because the Vong began to wage war on life itself. The Force is life, and therefore, it was removed from the Yuuzhan Vong people.

At the end of the series, Luke announced to the gathered Jedi that the Praxeum era had ended. Because of the trials and tests of the war, as well as the new insight gained about the Force, a "new" Jedi Order had arisen. No longer would the Jedi be confined by acting as protectors of a galactic government--as proven during the Clone Wars and the Yuuzhan Vong War, the Jedi should not be bound by servitude to one body--that path led to near decimation twice. Now, the Jedi under the guidance of the newly reformed Jedi Council, will follow their own path, with each individual serving where he/she believes they are needed. Essentially, the Jedi Order has returned to the days of old--where the Jedi were a free and loose group. Except this time, they have gained essential knowledge on the will and totality of the Force itself--and finally, after the fall of the Republic, the tyranny of the Empire, the rise and fall of the New Republic, and the creation of the Galactic Alliance, the Jedi have truly returned, under the banner of the Unifying Force.

Jedi Master Talon
17 March 2004, 10:50 AM
Well said Nova, well said.

Dallas
30 April 2004, 08:19 PM
yay spoliers :-d