PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Live-Action TV Show?!

MikeLynch
6 November 2003, 12:44 PM
So we now have confirmation (by way of AICN) that "the idea" of a live-action Star Wars TV project is floating around at the Ranch. This is IN ADDITION to the idea of an animated TV project on a larger scale that the Cartoon Network "Clone Wars" shorts (1st one premieres tomorrow, btw).

How awesome would a live-action Star Wars TV show be?
Just how awesome?
8o

My mind is still reeling. I never sat and thought about it before. Speculate rampantly, my friends.

My suspicions:
- it would be Prequel-era.
- Anthony Daniels would be in it. He kinda does everything. (And thank the Maker that he does, too.) Beyond that, not many SW movie stars.
- it would be hour-long episodes.
- it would air on Fox because there's no way they'd let a cash cow like that make its way to the Sci-Fi Channel.
- it would focus on a small group of warriors, much like the Classic Trilogy did. They have to be warriors because the show would have "Wars" in the title.
- it would in no way resemble the only other live-action Star Wars TV outing, That Which Must Never Be Named.
- it would rock.
- it would SO rock.

Okay, I need to settle down. Speculate rampantly, my friends.

BrianDavion
6 November 2003, 12:48 PM
most likely it would be between the prequals and the classic trilogy

Zanus
6 November 2003, 04:17 PM
*snicker*

Ewoks Gone Wild!!!!

I would so kill myself

Dark72Jedi
6 November 2003, 04:23 PM
There has to be something to keep a successful franchise like Star Wars alive after the prequels are finished so why not have a live-action series?

Unfortunately, this may do more harm than good and for some reason all I can picture in my mind is Andromeda...ughh!!

dgswensen
6 November 2003, 04:31 PM
"Jar Jar and Pals Adventures."

Sorry, I like Star Wars, but over the years my faith in Lucas has eroded to the point where I simply cannot get excited about this.

If it was set in the Rebellion Era, back when I loved the Star Wars movies rather than merely tolerating them (like the prequels), I would be gnawing my own knuckles in anticipation, but as it is... well... we'll see.

Dr_Worm
6 November 2003, 07:27 PM
I gotta say this would such so bad, as to shame the series forever. And I do not want to hear any comparisons to shows like Star Trek because ST started as a TV series so it worked in thar genre. In fact it took some time for ST to actually work as a movie becuase of it's TV origins. SW does not belong as a liver action show. Perhaps a 6 hour miniseries, with really high production values. A series would just be lame though.

Jake Sunspot
7 November 2003, 01:54 AM
Talk about a BAD idea. I can't help but think that any live action SW series would blow chunks. Even if it was decent as a scifi series, it would still be weak as a Star Wars project. There is NO WAY they could do it with decent production values without suffering in other areas. FarScape was canceled because it cost like $1 million an episode (high for the scifi channel) and a SW series would cost at least as much if not more.

If GL insists on a SW series (so as to further mess up a good thing) then I hope its a F%$#in' cartoon.

MikeLynch
7 November 2003, 07:09 AM
FarScape was canceled because it cost like $1 million an episode (high for the scifi channel) and a SW series would cost at least as much if not more.
Huh, you bring up an interesting point. From what I saw of FarScape (which wasn't a WHOLE lot), it looked pretty slick, easily good enough for a TV incarnation of the SWU. So the question becomes, can Lucas & Co. afford it?

I suspect so. :hansolo:
Then again, there are other worries with a live-action version. How dated would it look 20 years later? More so than any of the films (except ANH), I suspect. And what of cast problems? On-set disputes, salary demands if it's successful, recasting beloved characters? The mind reels.

But if they made it realistic/"adult" enough, I would indeed be happy with a long-running animated series. The advantage there is cost, not just production values-wise, but talent-wise. Less headaches on the production end overall.

BrianDavion
7 November 2003, 07:39 AM
indeed. 1 million an episode? no problem if your talking something like a star wars TV series which would easily make eneugh money.

Talonne Hauk
7 November 2003, 02:32 PM
It also becomes a matter of just how the show is pitched. A Dawson's Creek with blasters type show would be horrendously bad. It's got to be able to walk on its own two feet, and not be compared to other shows gone by.

Puck
9 November 2003, 03:14 AM
A Star Wars series would easily make enough money to allow $1m+ production costs per epsiode. Let's not forget that Farscape was 'apparently' too expensive for a has-been low-rent cable station that wouldn't know good sci-fi from it's backside (frelling IDIOTS!) - Star Wars could go on a major network with impunity.

Set after EpIII, during the Jedi purge - a Jedi Master and Padawan on the run from Palpatine's minions in the Outer Rim.

Kung Fu meets The Fugitive with lightsabres. :sabersml:

Tell me that wouldn't ROCK!!! :D

Jim Williams
9 November 2003, 06:06 AM
That would kinda rock.

Clint Eastwood could be the Master.

Or Susan Sarandon. They'd never do TV though....hmmmm.

Anyway, to keep going with Puck's idea...

Master (M or F)?
Padawan <---This character has to be the magnet.
An Inquisitor <---Creepy Walken would do lovely
A Moff
A high-ranking conflicted Imperial officer
An Antarian Ranger or non-Jedi buddy <Joe Pantoliano (sp?)
A Senator with torn loyalties <----Jimmy Smits ain't doing nothing.

Major T. Phennir
9 November 2003, 09:34 AM
I think it would be interesting to see a Golden Age of the Sith series, but then again it is only becuase I like the Sith (species and Dark Side sect). I don't think that would be very likely though. I also doubt that we will see a Star Wars series. If they do make a series I just want it to have lightsabers, lots of cool aliens, and starfighters.

Clockwork Rat
10 November 2003, 05:47 AM
Actually, that's kinda neat.

I personally, hope they do create a series based on Star Wars.

In regards to production values, it will greatly depend on the writing. The people that grew up with Star Wars and playing with the action figures in their backyard are older, and bringing their own children to see these movies. They want to have that jaw-dropped magic back. The story will be the main factor. Sure, you will get your case of fanboyism, but the better the story , the more retention you will have.

But for costs? Look at Waterworld vs Blair Witch...case in point.

MikeLynch
10 November 2003, 07:14 AM
Yes! The Jedi Purge!!! Brrrrrilliant!

I don't see how they could *not* use that as their setting. Think about it. They're gonna want to re-use props from the Prequels, right? And they're not gonna want to have to come up with a whole bunch of brand-new stuff (which they would have to for a ToTJ-era show), thereby necessitating more "Is-this-OK-George?" meetings.

Heh heh. What a great concept for a series. You know, from the pilot episode on, that the characters have to die. But when? And how? Heh heh. B)

Ravager_of_worlds
19 November 2003, 07:01 PM
i see a great potential for error. GL would have to hire another director to run the show... and decent dialogue writers... and a production team that doesn't want to animate every character because they can.

i think the new battlestar galactica might serve as a litmus test for a market that hasn't seen good sci-fi since TNG (i missed all the Farscape episodes and check out the syndication marathons). the problem with GL running the show? GL is running the show. i mean it's taking 8 years for the last trilogy.

here's another idea... what about a West Wing version... or a show that has a different aspect of the star wars universe with each episode (like a tales of jabba's palace type series, a number of short stories with their own set of characters?) that would allow no-name actors shoulder the bulk of the burden, pay low wages... wait a second... just cast no name actors!

I'd love to see the actress who plays Ashleigh from Joe Schmoe as a senator.. or a dancing girl. :) who knows, maybe Joe Schmoe himself can be a scoundrel or something. other cheap ideas would be a "reality show" of star wars... sort of like TROOPS (what a great fanfilm)

just ideas. [EDIT: and hey, my 1,000th post... what a boring life i lead :)]

Melkor
20 November 2003, 09:45 AM
Can you link to the info on the AICN website ? I tried searching for an article with no luck, and would like to see what they had to say about it.

Thanks.

Tash Horn
29 November 2003, 08:17 AM
i think what they need to do for a TV series is go back to the begining...well not totally, but far enough back that they have to go out and discover some of the aliens we all know and love, like the wookies, duros, and other ones, a time when the jedi are developing and refining thier belifes and uses for the force, when the Hyperdrive is really unreliable, like a Enterprise type show, ...like we have our main characters in an exploration ship for the new Galaxtic Government discovering new space lanes (Corlian run, Prelimian Trade rout, ect.) have a ship that breaks down at unfortunate times, and other stuff...think of the possiblites, and you wouldn't need big actors and have a relavitly clean slate of what you want done with the series. i think it'll be cool, and have been adavcating that kind of show for a long time now

johnnyputrid
5 December 2003, 05:56 AM
Hmm...sounds familiar.

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

opening crawl:

It is a time of great expansion in the galaxy. The Republic is discovering new hyperspace lanes, at long last bringing free trade to the galaxy's remote systems.

Several JEDI KNIGHTS have been dispatched on a five-year mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life forms, to boldy go where no species has gone before.

These are the voyages of the Corellian cruiser, Chu'unthor...

You could have the young, brash Jedi as a captain, a pointy-eared Twi'lek science officer Jedi, a crusty old Outer Rim Jedi Healer, a Bothan communications expert (complete with earpiece), and of course some guy in a red shirt who dies every episode.

All kidding aside, this could work if they brought the same crew and zeal they used on the Young Indy series.

CaamasiJedi49
7 December 2003, 12:48 PM
They tried that with teh new enterprise show, and it didn't seem to work because they focused too much on exploring and not enough on charater development and action. Granted, they threw in some here in there, but not enough to give it good ratings. If they were to do an exploration show, they need to balance cahrater development, action, AND exploration all together to creat a good show that will keep people coming back for more.

Caamsi Jedi49:plokoon:

Tash Horn
9 December 2003, 08:24 AM
well first of all it would have an aduicance cuz it's star wars
second, well they would just have to do better than enterprise, either way, since when has star wars been an epitone of Character development??

Tash Horn
9 December 2003, 08:24 AM
well first of all it would have an aduicance cuz it's star wars
second, well they would just have to do better than enterprise, either way, since when has star wars been an epitone of Character development??

Jake Sunspot
10 December 2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Tash Horn
since when has star wars been an epitone of Character development??

Excellent point. The only problem with this attitude is that to sustain a weekly TV series you HAVE to have character developement. Its one thing to have underdeveloped characters when you're giving your audience 2 hours at a time every 3 to 16 years. But its TOTALLY different when you're talking 30 min to 1 hour every week. Underdeveloped characters, bad dialogue, and weak writing don't hold intrest for long. So this series would have to be a truckload better then the prequel trilogy.

MikeLynch
10 December 2003, 08:01 AM
Several JEDI KNIGHTS have been dispatched on a five-year mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life forms, to boldy go where no species has gone before.

These are the voyages of the Corellian cruiser, Chu'unthor...

You could have the young, brash Jedi as a captain, a pointy-eared Twi'lek science officer Jedi, a crusty old Outer Rim Jedi Healer, a Bothan communications expert (complete with earpiece), and of course some guy in a red shirt who dies every episode.
Don't forget Yoda. Wasn't he on the Chu'unthor?

Johnny, this is a BRILLIANT idea. You absolutely MUST pitch it to Lucas pronto. (Minus all the Star Trek jokes, obviously.) Start phoning the Ranch until they get an injunction against you, and then start showing up in person. I demand it! :mad:

johnnyputrid
10 December 2003, 11:59 AM
Presentation reproduction at Kinko's: $14
New portfolio: $36
Plane ticket to Skywalker Ranch: $400
Hired muscle: $300/day
Busting into George Lucas' office and forcefully demanding that he not only read, but immediately APPROVE and START PRODUCTION on a new multi-million dollar Star Wars live action television series: Priceless

wolverine
11 December 2003, 03:30 AM
Actually, if they do make it, i would like to see them focus on the Imperial side of house. Maybe start with a bunch of recruits being selected for Stormie training. Going through the boot camp, and into the schools. Then on to a few missions.... Or an X wing one.. Or a Tie fighter one..

VixenofVenus
12 December 2003, 01:27 PM
As a huge opponent of what has happened to the uncontrolled Star Trek universe ... I can say that for a long time I very much was an opponent of a Star Wars TV show period ... I cringe at thoughts of the Star Wars Christmas Special ... and while I love the two Ewok movies for their childhood memories ... they really are not what Star Wars is about.

But now ... with the ultimate awesomeness (I know that isn't a word) of the Clone Wars cartoons ... my thoughts they are a-changin'.

I can easily see a Star Wars Live Action TV show starting a few years POST Episode 3. And it really would be a cash cow ... with milking opportunities that are unimaginable ...

We are talking a fan base that would steal from the all powerful lineups of any station opposed during primetime! Rupert Murdock (FOX) would give his left and right nuts for a show like this with a one year contract and possible five year option.

This show would easily draw in new fans, as well as make more advertising dollars than any other regular TV show ... we're talking Superbowl costs for commercial time during premeir and finale week episodes!

Set it in the Rebellion Era ... and there will be award nominations before the first Episode has aired! There would be thousands of MAJOR actors willing to wear heavy make-up for even a one-line single-episode part ....

Heck ... I could name fifty major hollywood actors who would be willing to say a line as a stormtrooper only to be cut down a second later ...

And the best part ... if it is run in a controlled writing method ... where George would just read, comment, read revision, and sign off as an Executive Producer ... it could be completely cannon and still be excellent ...

My opinion has officially changed ... now I'm not afraid of it ... I demand it!

Reverend Strone
12 December 2003, 03:23 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself Vix. I totally agree.

By the way, nice to hear from you again. I haven't read a post of yours in a long time. Good to know you're still about. :)

Darth Fury
12 December 2003, 07:28 PM
I agree with Vix if it was done well and GL's involvement was more circa ESB and less AtotC. I'd be all over it. I gotta go all this talk about Farscape has got me pi$$ed.............to be contiued..........MY @$$!!!

Darth Fierce
5 May 2006, 09:06 AM
Here's for reviving dead threads...

Rumor has it that Rick McCallum has released new information about the upcoming live-action SW series. From what he implied, the show will not include any of the Skywalker clan, and the characters will, for the most part, be "new." Only one character will be familiar to the general public...that character being a certain bounty hunter. Whether the "new" characters might include some from the established EU has not been said at this point.

Just thought this might interest some of you....

Darth Fierce :vader:

MikeLynch
5 May 2006, 09:09 AM
that character being a certain bounty hunter.

Aurra Sing!

:D

Sorry, still a little cheesed about having been conned into buying an Aurra Sing action figure.

Marty-Wan
5 May 2006, 11:27 AM
I donít get all of this Lucas bashing going on here. He created Star Wars; I think he might know what heís doing here. People say that the newer films were crap, but if that was the case then how do you explain the huge box office for Episode III? People are quick to bash the new movies but to honest Episode I was a far better film than A New Hope, it had a more involved plot and the cinematography was incredible (largely due to the CGI elements).

With the exception of Howard the Duck GL has provided America (and the world) with quality entertainment for years and Iím sure this new TV show will live up to the same high standards that his company is known for.

Pel
5 May 2006, 05:03 PM
I disagree. My problems with Lucas began when he "Georged" Star Wars. Greedo shooting first is a travesty. Eventually putting that aside, I rejoined the faithful and saw Ep. I. After Phantom Menace, I felt ripped off. That feeling has grown since.

I'm pretty sure that Mr. Lucas doesn't really give a darn what the fans think so long as we keep ponying up the cash to see his latest "vision" of how things ought to be.

I'm still a diehard fan, but my loyalty is no longer blind. In my opinion, decisions are made at Lucasfilm with only profit in mind. Why else would they release several different versions of the same film within a few years of each other? Because we'll all go out and buy it.

There's nothing wrong with all this, since everyone is free to spend their time and money as they wish, but there is a feeling of dissatisfaction pervading the fanbase.

Lucas Carr
5 May 2006, 07:07 PM
Speak for yourself Pel, not the entire fanbase. As you more then likely will be wrong when you do so.

JediPowell
5 May 2006, 07:21 PM
Yea i Agree with Lucas,,,

You are wrong on the Han Solo vs Greedo...

When New Hope was created he did not have Empire or Return written much less realize we would ever make the other movies....

he was a new director/writer/producer and did not realize what he created or how powerful a medium it would become....so the original Han Solo from New Hope was the shoot first kind of guy.....but by the time he wrote Empire and helped flesh out Return...the character Han Solo became a huge hero....again during the making of Empire Han solo was supposed to killed by the Carbon Freeze....but his favoritizem kept the character alive...BECAUSE LUCAS CARES ABOUT WHAT HIS FANS THINK....

SAME REASON HE ADDED BOBBA FETT to RETURN....

even tho he killed him off...when he noticed the fan loving the action figure of a little minor bounty hunter he remembered and added him to the RETURN.....

as for changing Han Solo into the reactive shooter in the Revised Editions...it fits with the GEneral idea of Han Solo the hero....not the original idea from NEW HOPE of him being more scoundrel than hero....so when the LUCAS desided to fix his problems with the original New Hope he fixed this glaring inconsistency with the character that HAD become Han Solo......

if Lucas had made all three original movies at the same time such as the BROTHERS did to MAtrix 2-3 the original trilogy would be completly different....

Even I see problems with all 6 of the movies but that doesnot take away from thye fact that this movie series if one of my favorite...and regardless to the horror of Jar Jar Binks....I forgive Lucas for mistakes like that (and the Ewoks) and if i ever met the guy face to face....

I would give him a handshake and if he let me a hug....

the guy is a hero in my book....just like Han Solo

May the Force be with you ....Always

boccelounge
5 May 2006, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Lucas Carr
Speak for yourself Pel, not the entire fanbase. As you more then likely will be wrong when you do so.

Originally posted by JediPowell
Yea i Agree with Lucas,,,

Me too: let's not all speak too generally about what "SW fans" think. If this very Web forum shows us anything, it's that there is a vast plurality of opinions when it comes to all things SW...

And frankly, I just don't see what all the fuss is about the "Special Edition" changes. I mean, I think the "Han-Greedo" edit is clumsy and unnecessary, just as a lot of people do... but who cares? It doesn't change the movie-- and it doesn't change how much I like the movie. Suggesting that the SE (or Jar-Jar, or whatever) "ruins" Star Wars is tantamount to saying that the whole thing is so weak and fragile that one undesirable change can destroy the whole saga... and I just don't see it.

I sure hope the TV show doesn't suck, though... ;) :D

Jake Sunspot
6 May 2006, 12:07 AM
Do you guys really need to continue this debate for the rest of eternity?

How about you just agree to disagree

There is a certain percentage of the fanbase that feels that the "special edition" was a travesty and that the prequel trilogy sux and that most decisions at Lucasfilm are made with $$ as the primary concern. This group would include me.

There is another percentage of the fanbase that love the special edition and the prequel trilogy and still believe that star wars is as good (if not better) as it ever was.

Then there's the others that fall somewhere in the middle who don't love everything that Lucas has done since 1997, but that don't hate it all either. I would assume that most of the fanbase would fall into this category.

Regardless, HE OWNS STAR WARS and is free to "improve" (or ruin) it as he sees fit and arguing about it on a forum is just a bloody waste of time...

Now, letís get back on topic, shall we?

MikeLynch
8 May 2006, 04:43 AM
Yes, and back on our original topic...

Well, hang on, one thing I have to note first :)

I mean, I think the "Han-Greedo" edit is clumsy and unnecessary, just as a lot of people do... but who cares? It doesn't change the movie-- and it doesn't change how much I like the movie.
It changes how much *I* like the movie. Maybe I'm persnickety, but moments like that (and the Jabba scene in ANH, which I don't mind as much) take me out of the movie. I suspect those of us who "grew up" with the original crappy CBS Fox non-widescreen videocassettes are the ones who are more likely to care about the changes. But anyway, that's JUST MY opinion and I certainly don't expect everyone to comply with it in what is, after all, a matter of personal taste for goodness' sakes.

Anyway, back on topic.

I think George and his cronies could produce a darn good TV show (2, actually), and the notion of Fett being involved even peripherally is promising. It also implies a different, perhaps grittier, tone to at least one of the shows, which isn't bad but can certainly be overdone. I liked the tone of the Cartoon Network animated shorts while simultaneously acknowledging that it wasn't really a Lucas tone.

Lucas Carr
8 May 2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by MikeLynch
I suspect those of us who "grew up" with the original crappy CBS Fox non-widescreen videocassettes are the ones who are more likely to care about the changes. But anyway, that's JUST MY opinion and I certainly don't expect everyone to comply with it in what is, after all, a matter of personal taste for goodness' sakes.

Exactly. I think I'm part of that generation, but I like the improvements better, though I've always liked good Visual Effects, so I may be a little biased...

boccelounge
8 May 2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Jake Sunspot
Do you guys really need to continue this debate for the rest of eternity?

How about you just agree to disagree...
Well, I certainly don't mean to pick a fight, Jake. But it happens to be a (mildly) interesting point of conversation, and this happens to be a place for SW-related conversations... so, yeah-- I imagine this debate will go on for eternity... ;)

And, as always, if a particular conversation isn't your taste... please do ignore us as we blather on. :)

It changes how much *I* like the movie... But anyway, that's JUST MY opinion and I certainly don't expect everyone to comply with it in what is, after all, a matter of personal taste for goodness' sakes.
And I certainly recognize (and agree with) that point.

I supppose I'm in the camp that likes both the theatrical and the SE release... and, as such, am glad that I'll soon be able to have both versions in one collection.

And I just think the SE is unfairly criticized by a (seemingly) very vocal minority of fans. Most of the SE changes are excellent, and hardly mentioned-- improved color-timing, replacing a "sky" here and there, adding background detail, etc. etc. It's always a few little points, like the (admittedly bad) Han-Greedo thing that seem to consume everyone's attention.

The only point I wanted to put forward is that despite the few flaws, it seems to me that they are more than balanced by the many small improvements to the prduction quality.

YMMV, of course. ;)

I suspect those of us who "grew up" with the original crappy CBS Fox non-widescreen videocassettes are the ones who are more likely to care about the changes.
Well... just for the record... I saw ANH 13 times in the cinemas (I don't know whay I counted stuff like this as a kid, but I did) before my folks even owned a VCR, and when we got one, that VHS SW set you mention was the very first purchase they made. If I turn from this desk, I can see it on the shelf in the living room... :)

So it can't be just a "generational" thing...

Ubiqtorate
8 May 2006, 09:24 AM
George Lucas is a great storyteller. A genius, even. Even if you look at the less-than-expected prequels, the story is rock-solid. The problem is in the details. If Lucas were to stay on as a producer (or better yet, executive producer) for a Star Wars series, hire some good directors, writers, and actors, and then back off, this will be a fantastic project. If he tries to meddle, though... oh, I hate to think what the result could be...

Pel
10 May 2006, 03:02 AM
George's greatest successes used that exact formula. For ESB and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, George produced and wrote, but did not direct. He left that in the capable hands of world-class directors Kirshner and Spielberg. They just did it better, and produced some of the most solid films ever shot.

gmjabreson
24 May 2006, 10:29 AM
its definately not a generational thing. I was also a part of the cinema generation, though verrry young, to see star wars ANH in theaters. My son is only 3 and likes the movies. My niece likes the, as she calls Yoda, "the little green guy." and she is now 6. Star Wars is an every generation thing. I think the older generation are just mad that they didn't think up something like that before Lucas did.

BeastfromtheEast
14 February 2007, 01:16 PM
Yes! The Jedi Purge!!! Brrrrrilliant!

I don't see how they could *not* use that as their setting. Think about it. They're gonna want to re-use props from the Prequels, right? And they're not gonna want to have to come up with a whole bunch of brand-new stuff (which they would have to for a ToTJ-era show), thereby necessitating more "Is-this-OK-George?" meetings.

Heh heh. What a great concept for a series. You know, from the pilot episode on, that the characters have to die. But when? And how? Heh heh. B)

Not all would have to die. Remember that the Empire believed all were dead. They didn't know for sure. They thought all were dead and Obi-Wan popped up in A New Hope. And personally the suspense of not knowing if a character was going to die or survive would be even more reason to watch.

boccelounge
14 February 2007, 01:30 PM
Wow... has it really been since MAY that this thread was last active?! 8o Where does the time go...

Purge/Early Empire would certainly be my vote for setting/era.

And I'm hoping that the advances on producing Indiana Jones IV will mean Lucas has (or will soon have) time to devote to this series. Around the time of Ep3's release, they were talking about 2007 for the live action show... that's clearly not going to happen.

Keeping my fingers crossed for 2009-ish...

ij thompson
14 February 2007, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by boccelounge
Keeping my fingers crossed for 2009-ish...

And 2009 it shall be...

http://wizarduniverse.com/_images_/003443/IMG_9163.jpg

Rostek
14 February 2007, 02:26 PM
Score!
Where, pray, did you find that? :)

CaamasiJedi49
14 February 2007, 02:33 PM
I don't care how many bothans died to bring this information, more!

Cj49

ij thompson
14 February 2007, 02:39 PM
Scoop's right here:

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/toyfare/003443978.cfm

They don't have much to say that the photo doesn't already cover, but it's still pretty cool! :) In particular, I like the stylistic direction they're taking with the Clone Wars show, and am pretty interested to see that Boba seems to be the early 'poster boy' for the live action series! :D

(p.s: I found that scoop through http://www.TheForce.net - great site, they usually post SW info pretty much as-it-happens! ;) )

Jake Sunspot
14 February 2007, 02:44 PM
good find ij I wonder what the "clone wars animation" is going to be.

ij thompson
14 February 2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Jake Sunspot
good find ij I wonder what the "clone wars animation" is going to be.

That's going to be a regular series, too!

It'll be computer animated, and will be based between II & III (obviously). Production is already underway, and one episode is already completed! Rob Coleman is directing a few episodes.

CaamasiJedi49
14 February 2007, 04:46 PM
TheForce.net, now that is a name I haven't heard, oh since you were born. LOl, but honestly, I have not visited there since Episode III came out, so I guess I got to start my daily ritual there again.

Cj49

ij thompson
14 February 2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah, they seem to be reduced to covering toy releases and such these days, but when some real SW news pops up, it always seems to be reported there first!

boccelounge
14 February 2007, 08:20 PM
That's outstanding, ij thompson! Thanks!

It was so cool to see the date and the 3d-'toon Yoda that it actually took me a second to take in the fact that I was looking at the Fett! It's like finding a dollar in your jacket, then realizing it's a ten!

James T. Kirk
8 March 2007, 04:41 AM
I don't know anything about a live action TV show, but I know when episode VII(7) is coming out.the answer is in 2011. I got the date from wookieepeida.com here part of the article:

Mark Hamill has said that George Lucas asked him to play Luke as an Obi-Wan type character who passes on the Excalibur to the next young hope in Episode VII and that the sequels were to feature new characters with Hamill doing the cameo in Episode VII and that the sequels would be made around 2011. George Lucas has dismissed this as nothing more than an off-hand comment.

MikeLynch
8 March 2007, 05:04 AM
Don't believe it for a second Kirk. Wookieepedia is routinely vandalized with stuff like that. I bet if you looked at the article again now, it wouldn't be there.

Edit:
It looks like it's been rephrased. The key aspect here is that Lucas has dismissed it. Doesn't mean it would *never* happen, but it does mean Lucas does not currently plan to do it.

ij thompson
8 March 2007, 05:28 AM
Yeah, as much as I'd like to see Mark, Carrie and Harrison back in the saddle, it just ain't gonna happen. Here's a video interview with George from a few days ago where he again debunks the rumours:

http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_xevidmegafx&Itemid=139&func=detail&id=259

"Nope. The Skywalkers are done." :(

However, he does offer lots of juicy stuff about the Clone Wars animated show! :)

James T. Kirk
12 March 2007, 02:43 AM
I checked back again, and it's still there. If you don't beleive me, heres the link to the exact page: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_8

the text i posted is about 1/3 the way down the page

Ronin
12 March 2007, 03:52 AM
True, the article is still there, but...

This article covers a product that was cancelled or replaced by another product.

Note: The following is based on the majority of the information publicly given by Lucas between 1978 and 1994 in regards to a sequel trilogy to the original trilogy.
...I'd say the trilogy isn't going to be made anymore.

James T. Kirk
13 March 2007, 05:40 AM
oh well:(, Guess I should read the fie print more often

(I Still, however, refuse to beleive that VII, VIII &IX won't be evermade. I know that George probably isn't going to make them, but I beleive that he'll give the rights to someone out there(Hopefully Peter Jackson) to make them.)

SmugglerJedi
28 July 2007, 06:36 PM
Well, since it's now official that the show will be set with Boba Fett and the Rebellion Era, I can't put in my vote for Golden Age of the Sith. I mean, that would be awesome. A totally new venue for the <i>Star Wars</i> saga. Well, totally <i>old</i>, but you get my drift.

My only pseudocomplaint is that I hope--nay, pray--that they don't do anything that even has a whiff of the Fanon Wiki around it, and nothing fanboyish at all. They did that with Legacy, and that's why I never bought a comic. Otherwise, the live action show will go down in flames faster than you can say "Gundam SEED Destiny!"

SmugglerJedi
28 July 2007, 06:46 PM
Oh--and did anyone mention this? (http://starwarsblog.wordpress.com/2007/07/14/rick-mccallum-talks-live-action-tv-series-and-star-wars-3-d/#more-162)

So, does anyone think the series will actually go for 400 episodes, with each episode having the SFX of a major motion picture? I kinda doubt that. At one point or another, they'll have to scale back. And then they'll get that really bad movie guy who created Bloodrayne 2 (at least, I think it was that movie; dunno, ask <B>Morningfire</b>) to do a couple and it'll all go to waste.

At least Season 1 should be cool.

Ronin
7 August 2007, 07:40 AM
I was just checking Wookiepedia's article on the series and found this...

Spin-offs and marketing

At the Revenge of the Sith DVD press conference, Jim Ward explained that the new series offers LucasArts the opportunity to expand the gaming universe of the Star Wars series. "We're also excited at LucasArts about that opportunity as well," Ward said. "It's a whole environment for us to go and make some great games."[26][27] Potential games include Star Wars: Battlefront III and Star Wars: Republic Commando 2/Imperial Commando. LucasArts employees have also discussed this with the media.[28] According to Sue Rostoni, spin-off books are also likely, but as of June 2007, have not yet been discussed.[29]

HERE (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series)

Ubiqtorate
7 August 2007, 08:26 AM
Well, the thing about Lucasfilm is that they can make it go 400 episodes if they want... they certainly have the holdings to produce them even if they aren't making any money, so they don't have to answer to sponsors or studios or anything like that. But even then, to plan on 400 episodes seems a little extreme. That's what, fifteen seasons? Maybe they're planning on taking it all the way up to Episode IV.

CaamasiJedi49
7 August 2007, 12:32 PM
I think Ubiqtorate that GL does plan to go all the way to Episode IV based upon this quote:

He envisions somewhere like 100 hours between Episode III and Episode IV with a lot of characters that we haven't met that have been developed in some of the novels and other things.

So I imagine the 19-20 odd year gap between Episode III and Episode IV will be nominally filled with this tv show.

Cj49

ij thompson
7 August 2007, 02:11 PM
That'd be, what... about four seasons?

I'm already dying to watch this show, but I confess, I find it hard to imagine any kind of live action SW without the music of John Williams! But with the 'moodier' atmosphere they seem to be going for, I'm beginning to think that music will be kept to a minimum.

Hmm...

SmugglerJedi
7 August 2007, 05:22 PM
So long as they don't use the music from FEAR. I mean, I love the FEAR music, but that wouldn't work very well for <i>Star Wars</i>.

Ubiqtorate
7 August 2007, 07:31 PM
Some Star Wars music has worked pretty well. I really enjoyed Joel McNeeley's work on Shadows of the Empire, for example. Also, a TV composer would likely use the themes created by John Williams, and if that composer does it well, we might even forget that it isn't actually John Williams back there composing.

I've seen a couple of different versions of quotes estimating how long the series will last. I heard Lucas give the 100 hour figure in an interview, and there's the McCallum quote saying "up to 400 hours." I guess from that we can probably assume pretty safely that it's going to be somewhere between 100 and 400 1-hour episodes. Based on an average of between 25 and 30 episodes per season, that's probably somewhere between four and sixteen seasons. That means it could run through, what? 2025? I wonder if it'll still be good after so long.

Lucas Carr
7 August 2007, 08:37 PM
I've never seen any series with 25-30 episodes per season. The normal, from my experience, seem to be 20-24.

SmugglerJedi
8 August 2007, 04:44 PM
Even less. Many shows have around 11-15 because costs are so high, and season 2 of <i>Jericho</i> will only have 7 episodes.

Of course, that's because of costs. We're talking LucasFilm here. Costs is irrelevant.

Ubiqtorate
8 August 2007, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by SmugglerJedi
Even less. Many shows have around 11-15 because costs are so high, and season 2 of <i>Jericho</i> will only have 7 episodes.

Really? I guess the last time I followed a TV show consistently was Star Trek: The Next Generation (yes, I'm also a Star Trek fan). That series averaged 26 episodes per season, but I guess the landscape of TV has changed since then.

SmugglerJedi
8 August 2007, 05:47 PM
My parents follow <i>Monk</i>, and I follow <i>Psych</i>. They seem to cut out in the middle of a season, then resume later, but in total, they have far fewer episodes.

JediPowell
9 August 2007, 07:08 PM
And with Jericho, the network canciled the series, but through a massive fan movement....which invloved thousands of people mailing bags of nuts to the network...they brought it back for next season....the 7 episodes is a way of making the fans prove the ratings are there.....so if the ratings are higher than spring....then they will option to film more episodes this fall for a spring half.....

SmugglerJedi
10 August 2007, 07:14 PM
I know this is OT, but <b>JediPowell</b>, you are officially Mr. Ellipsis. :D

Ubiqtorate
12 August 2007, 03:04 PM
I think we'll allow an off-topic comment like that, SmugglerJedi. ;) Just remember to keep it in moderation...

It seems to be the latest "style" to break series into shorter blocks, with those blocks spread out a few weeks at a time throughout the year, rather than a long block of new episodes followed by an off-season hiatus. I watched "Heroes," which followed this format, and ran 23 episodes in its first season. The seven-episode season of "Jericho," as JediPowell mentioned, is not exactly a normal situation.

Anyway, I'm afraid I might even be veering off-topic with that. Whatever the case may end up being, the Star Wars series could last a very long time.

SmugglerJedi
12 August 2007, 03:53 PM
Well, here's a question that may be on topic. Since the folks at ILM are hoping for the live action show to last so long, does anyone think it may end up like <i>Doctor Who</i>? It could even start having serials, like <i>The Wavy Emperor's Hand</i> and <I>The Cutting Blade</i> and other such horrible episode names. :D

Ubiqtorate
12 August 2007, 05:13 PM
I think Doctor Who? is a unique entity unto itself, which, for better or for worse, will never be replicated.

That raises some interesting questions about how the show will be formatted, though. Clone Wars was divided into unnamed "Chapters," while Droids and Ewoks had named episodes (some of which had names every bit as bad as the ones SmugglerJedi mentioned). Obviously we're looking at a completely different sort of thing than any of those series, but I still wonder how they'll put it together. Maybe they'll have title scrolls. "Episode CCLXVIII: The Cutting Blade"

One thing I hadn't noticed until poking around the Internet for details just now was this article from IGN, (http://tv.ign.com/articles/770/770160p2.html) in which Lucas mentions that the show will be "One show that will split into four shows, focusing on different characters." That makes a 400-episode estimate much more reasonable. Obviously Lucasfilm has the resources to do pretty much whatever they want, but it makes a lot more sense to me to run a few different series rather than one giant of 400 episodes. I don't know about any of you, but my attention span runs out after about 150 episodes anyway. :D

calamarisoldier
13 August 2007, 11:27 AM
Anything in the new republic would be awsome.

CaamasiJedi49
13 August 2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by calamarisoldier
Anything in the new republic would be awsome.

Regretfully (only for the fact that this won't happen) the show will deal with the events between Episode III and Episode IV. Though I would not mind seeing something based after Episode VI myself, but that is for another thread. :D

Cj49

Ubiqtorate
13 August 2007, 03:38 PM
It seems that in Lucas's mind, Episode VI is the end of the saga. Period. And frankly, considering some developments in the EU, I can see the value of that point of view... but as you say, that's for another thread.

SmugglerJedi
13 August 2007, 04:59 PM
Would that belong in <b>Rumors & Speculation</b> or <b>Chaos & Miscellenay</b>? I'd like to follow that up.

I don't know about any of you, but my attention span runs out after about 150 episodes anyway.

How can you say that? Obviously you didn't watch <i>Stargate SG-1</i>, or any <i>Star Trek.</i> Well, ST is forgivable, even desirable. SG1, OTOH, is most certainly not. In any case, any show worth it's audience and high Nielson Ratings will keep even <I>you</i> going past the first 150 episodes. If you're out by 149, then maybe we shouldn't be watching it.

As for splitting the four shows up, I have only one thing to say. Quadrant, anyone? :P

calamarisoldier
13 August 2007, 06:24 PM
O well, the books i've read about the last jedi were cool, lets hope the series is too.

Ubiqtorate
13 August 2007, 06:24 PM
Probably Rants and Raves, actually.

As far as Star Trek goes, I guess I should say I start to run out of gas after 150. By the last season, though, I'm definitely ready for it to end. I never really got into SG-1. If the early episodes were any indication... well, maybe by Episode 150 things were finally starting to get good, but the episodes I saw still had a ways to go.

Somebody please help me get this thread back on topic. I'm way too easily distracted. :(

calamarisoldier
13 August 2007, 06:43 PM
I really don"t think after a while, shows get old. Look at "the simpsons" as long as they are funny, (or in this case full of action and the like) people will watch it. :)

boccelounge
7 December 2007, 03:07 PM
This pertains to the animated TV series, but I thought I'd post it here, due to common interests...

My First Rule of (Internet) Life: if it's on IMDB, then it must be (probably) true:

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458290/)

:D :D :D

EDIT: Note that there are (as I write this) only three confirmed cast members-- Matthew Wood and Anthony Daniels reprising their roles of old (if you don't know what roles these are, shame on you), and Ian Abercrombie (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000718/) (link) taking on Palpatine.

Mr. Abercrombie has done a lot of film and TV work, but I know him best as Elaine's boss "Mr. Pitt" from Seinfeld. And let me point out that in one episode, Mr. Pitt is (inadvertantly) portrayed as Hitler... typecasting? ;) :P

Grimace
8 December 2007, 07:34 AM
Okay....shame on me..... I know who Anthony Daniels plays, but who is Matthew Wood?:?

ij thompson
8 December 2007, 07:46 AM
He's Ben Burtt's sound assistant, a sneaky young guy who snuck a tape of his own voice into the voice-casting file under the name 'Alan Smithee', and ended up landing the role of... General Greivous.

My capacity for useless trivia truly knows no bounds... :P

SmugglerJedi
8 December 2007, 08:51 AM
Jeez, <b>ij</b>, sounds almost like you work at ILM. :D

And <b>boccelounge</b> joined after me? I always thought he'd been around since 1999. :?

TarlSS
14 December 2007, 05:38 PM
A firefly sort of show, but with lightsabers, would be freaken sweet.

Nathan Fillian as Jedi. Rock.