PDA

View Full Version : The Old Republic's Last Stand?

Meck
6 November 2003, 02:43 PM
As the Empire gained strength and replaced the Old Republic, what planets were the last ones to come under Imperial control? Did the Old Republic make any "last stands"? Or do I have the whole thing wrong? :? This period of time inbetween the rise of the Empire and Rebellion eras doesn't seem to have been discussed at all (possibly because Episode III hasn't come out yet). Any information would be appreciated.

Darth Fierce
6 November 2003, 03:07 PM
Well, as far as the last planets to come under Imperial control, many were not even associated with the Old Republic. Imperial scouts likely helped the Empire determine which worlds outside the Old Republic were ripe for the picking far into the Rebellion era.

As far as what you're thinking of, I would say that the major planets still standing against the Empire at the end of the Old Republic and beginning of the Rebellion era would have been Alderaan, Chandrila, and Corellia.

The Hutts were spared a good deal of the atrocities committed by the Empire, although the literature indicates that Hutt Space was reduced to a mere fraction of its former size upon the formation of the Empire.

Hope that helps a little!

Darth Fierce :vader:

Rogue Janson
6 November 2003, 03:26 PM
It's tricky to say because of the way Imperial control was established. It wasn't like the Empire started out as a small body and conquered the planets of the Republic; rather the Republic was gradually transformed into the Empire. (edit: oops.) So in a way all Republic worlds became part of the Empire at the same time.

What you'd see is a process of 'Imperialisation'; planets adopting or coming under the control of the practices and institutions of the Empire, like arbitrary rule, militarisation, a biased judiciary, anti-alien laws and prejudices, etc.. Some planets would have held out longer against this, most likely the ones with strong democratic - Alderaan being the prime example. So in a way, the defence of freedom and democracy, even if it was waged politically, rather than militarily, represents the Republic's "last stand".

Meck
6 November 2003, 03:38 PM
Both posts help me out a lot. I guess I had it all wrong. *smacks forehead*

Darth_Cassed
6 November 2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Rogue Janson
It's tricky to say because of the way Imperial control was established. It wasn't like the Empire started out as a small body and conquered the planets of the Republic; rather the Republic was gradually transformed into the Republic.

While this is true, I'm pretty sure Rogue Janson meant the Republic was transformed into the Empire.

It was mostly a political transformation. Starting with the clone wars, that was the formation of the first largely formidable army, in competition with the droids. Gradually the Republic fell under long war, and the Jedi started dying off. With the Jedi distracted, they were blinded to the Chancellor's dark-side ways and his manipulations. Their power on Coruscant was dimmed due to his dark influence, and they began their fall. The Clone Army succeeded, the Republic waged great war, and the Chancellor made himself Emperor. This all happens up to A New Hope, where he declares himself ruler, and disolves the Senate. The Clone Army is the first batch of Stormtroopers. Kind of an ironic plot twist.

JohnnyONeal
8 November 2003, 08:38 AM
It's worth mentioning, though, that when the Empire replaced the Republic, Palpatine launched a massive expansionist campaign. About 25 of the species in the Ultimate Alien Anthology were discovered (and, for the most part, conquered) in the two decades between Episode III and A New Hope.

Other worlds that were cool with Republic but not really part of it (like the Zabrak system worlds) stood against the Empire before being absorbed by it. So there are plenty of opportunities for "last stand" adventures. I recommend looking through the UAA for details.